First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Does Crunchyroll have some kinda bad reputation with some anime fans?
Posted 10/23/14

TsunLemon wrote:

Well, all I can see for hating on CR are it's crap servers(or whatever it is that's causing the video players to lag, crash, and/or give beautiful blank screens.) and occasional delayed releases. Not that all fansubs are that much greater on the latter part though.


shwowbox wrote:

it's 2014 and you people aren't using custom built video playback software with highly advanced codecs to watch chinese cartoons you downloaded off secretive websites?

what the fuck guys?


Because I'm a tech noob with a crappy pc that can't seem to play HD vids without extreme lags and out of sync video/sound.


Step your game up, son.
1033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Cape Coral, FL
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
I'm gonna help some people out and say this is what 'dere' types mean (Yes, I didn't know I do now though :P)


To me, I hate Yandere. Mainly because of School Days haha
I'm torn between Tsundere and Kuudere...
11363 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/23/14
What many people fail to realize... is that no matter how much you love anime, it is a hobby. This particular hobby costs money, and its just like buying video games, albeit people pirate those too. If every single one of us here on Crunchyroll, everyone else on other legal streaming sites, and everyone who buys anime merchandise just stopped and said "Meh.. Its cheaper to torrent that. *click click* hurdur" than we would find ourselves with little to no new anime coming out.

That right there is the last thing I want to see. I will admit, I was once of those people who illegally streamed thing and torrented anime en mass. I never knew any better, I didn't even know that what I was doing was inherently wrong. Now I am paying for Crunchyroll and ordering anime in or picking it up where I can find it. Why? 'Cause that is how supply and demand works. If there is too much supply and no demand (aka.. nobody is buying) then we find ourselves with no market, so why would they bother producing goods for a market that no longer exists. They can't just go by the assumption that other people are going to support it all in their stead, because just like before, if everyone assumes this we lose the market; thus losing the product that we all love.

There are a lot of people out there who don't know that streaming is illegal, and even bigger chunk of people out there who probably just do not care. Honestly that is kind disappointing in my eyes.

SO, all this in mind, to answer the OP... people don't like CR because it is an embodiment of what they do not want to do. Pay. Hell you don't even have to pay, you just have to watch ads and watch in SD... but you know what... that is better than watching it illegally.

Anywho..... just my two cents.
33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Crunchyroll is awesome. If CR were a woman, I would date her.
10 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
A lot of people seem to think CR actually supports the industry and that you get the best experience. I found that this reply sums up the topic well (although the hate is there):


Nice try CR.
CR a shit.
They do what fansubs does, but makes you pay for it and deliver mediocre material.
They used to steal animu from nips like every other fansub, then when found the gap, monopolized the whole western distribution and makes you pay for the high-quality release if you don't wanna watch the shitty 2bit steam exploding with advertisement and shitty packet loss.
The don't support the industry neither helps actual advertisement on the lands they are active and only gives substantial attention to NARUTO and fighting shounen crap.
Their subtitles is awfully timed, the typeset sucks and back in the days they got some of the DUMBEST fansubs to do it for them, resulting is some of the most comical lines and/or blank lines when they didn't know what how to translate (e.g: Haikyuu).
But above all, you're obligated to stick to the steam. Streaming animu, in 2004+10, no fucking way.
Also it would be nice if they learned how to karaoke.


I agree that
1. Regardless of translation/localization fansubs does it better purely by aesthetics, karaoke, and free to download. The last point is crucial in both aspects; many do not like streaming and the fact that you are paying for a lower quality viewing experience.
2. CR doesn't support the industry, it lets you feel good that you are giving your small contribution when you are support CR more than the industry. The best way to support the industry and your favorite anime is to import the BDs.



If you want to support the industry, buy the BD"s, not CR. If you want to stream anime(for whatever reason..) then you subscribe to CR. But doing it to support the industry? waste of money if you ask me. By subcriping to CR I will A) support CR while I don't even stream and thus will never use it. support anime I dislike instead of supporting my favourites(even then CR benefits more from it than the industry). While if you buy BD's(by importing) more of the money will acteally go to the industry.

Or in other words, if the goal is to "support/contribute" CR is not the way to go.


Other problems people have include anime selection, censoring and country availability.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Because Crunchy-sempai only notices Lio.

The kouhai are just jealous.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/23/14

anikevin wrote:

Crunchyroll is awesome. If CR were a woman, I would date her.


She is, well, sort of! They have a Crunchyroll mascot that is a girl. They call her Crunchyroll-hime, I think. Look it up and check it out; it's cool, lol!
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
Crunchyroll is a cool place to watch Anime! Um, I obtained a membership and have been satisfied ever since!
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/23/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:


Jay4455 wrote:

Hello everyone! Im a new user of the site so bare with me here but i wanted to ask about this because of something that happened with some friends of mine. Basically i have been watching anime for about a year now and using crunchyroll for few months. Anyway i was asked by a few of my friends who are more lets say "hardcore" anime fans then i what site i use to watch anime and when i told them crunchyroll they were not to happy to say the least XD. Calling it gay and all that Jazz so it got my thinking is this site seen as the sword art online for watching anime. The Whole " i hate it because its popular" story or am i just looking to deep into things. Also can i just say of the few people i have interacted with on the site so far this place is great :)


maybe they saw my username...

oops


it's all your fault, you're the culprit behind the CR hate. how dare you
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 10/23/14
The only people I ever knew that complained about CR were when it wasn't legit.... a number years ago... before they started getting licenses for the anime they streamed... 2007 or there abouts....

After that the only thing I've ever heard was from a certain person that I knew that felt all anime should be for free.



6395 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Australia,SYD
Offline
Posted 10/23/14 , edited 10/23/14
Appreciate the feed back on this everyone didn't expect this many responses to be honest happy to see such an active community on even trivial topics such as this. =D

Update- my friends are still holding there ground on the subject even after i showed them a few of you're responses o well not everyone can be a fan i guess.



28100 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/24/14

Jay4455 wrote:

Appreciate the feed back on this everyone didn't expect this many responses to be honest happy to see such an active community on even trivial topics such as this. =D

Update- my friends are still holding there ground on the subject even after i showed them a few of you're responses o well not everyone can be a fan i guess.


I just don't understand what there is to hate. You have a membership, and you get HD videos of a ton of anime that actually have good subs... unlike most fansubs that are almost borderline unreadable, are incorrect, or are translated so literally that the whole thing becomes so obtuse in English that it is down right hilarious. Official releases are almost always better I find. If you don't have a membership, wait a week, and you get the episode, and have access to ALL older anime releases. Just sit through a couple short ads. No big deal... though it is hard for me to say no to HD... so I gotta go membership, lol. May go All Access soon just because CR has Ultraman now! I want more Ultraman! Get some Ace, Leo, Ultraseven, and Nexus up in here! (And maybe Ultra Galaxy since that series is boss...) <.<
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
Yeah, they are everywhere BUT on crunchyroll. Just google "crunchyroll sucks" and you will eventually find pages of acid throwing. Though their harsh criticism is not entirely unjust.
27263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Online
Posted 10/24/14 , edited 10/24/14
The critics are a bunch of hypocritical a$$holes.

Case in point:
(l decided to delete the link, don't want to send peeps there)

There was an anonymous commenter that had legitimate counterarguments, but this "seven" guy just kept DODGING THOSE QUESTIONS!

That guy was also being self-contradictory. For example, he said CR might decrease the amount of (Blueray) sales because "people can just watch CR" but at the same time he supports those fansubbers! Like so many confused people, he can't even keep track of his own arguments......


This is the LEGITIMATE counterargument one of the anon responders wrote that the "seven" guy kept dodging:


Anonymous says:
SS Facility Touring
Oct 1, 2013 @ 0:06 CDT

While I see your point, the entire post predicates on plenty of mathematical assumptions, especially relating to cost calculations. In addition, paid memberships isn’t the only source of revenue for Crunchyroll. Although revenue from ads and their own store may not be much, it is nonetheless not zero, and I’d guess, not insignificant.

And while Crunchyroll may not have the best subs, the best quality, nor the greatest selection, the fact that it pays some amount for licenses is more than all nonlicensed streams pay to copyright owners combined. Furthermore, there is nothing preventing those who subscribe to Crunchyroll from buying the series outright; for the logically inclined, paying for Crunchyroll and buying anime are not mutually exclusive (aka not XOR). In fact, I’d like to know exactly what effect Crunchyroll has on anime sale volumes overseas (i.e., outside of Japan). Does Crunchyroll have a positive or negative impact on sales, or even no impact at all? Is there concrete numbers to back up any assumption?

In addition, Crunchyroll isn’t the only source of revenue for the copyright owners; it’s not as if getting an anime streamed on Crunchyroll is a make-or-die scenario for a studio. I’d think that domestic consumption is a far more likely indicator of sequels than the size of a Crunchyroll check.

*reads through random thread on MAL*
Looks like a lot of the complaints about Crunchyroll is one of quality and selection. I probably missed a couple of others, but none seem to address the crux of the problem: are they paying enough to the copyright owners? Without concrete figures, it’s hard to say for sure either way. We can guess all we want, but guesses aren’t actual figures at the end of the day.

Come to think of it, this is merely an evolution to the traditional broadcast/cable TV licensing model (re: Netflix replacing cable/internet streaming over TV). Since I don’t know anything about the revenue model of TV programs like Adult Swim and the good old 4Kids, do you care to estimate their contribution to the anime industry, or better yet, provide some concrete numbers?
51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 10/24/14 , edited 10/24/14
I hated CR when they first got the rights to Naruto, But once I started using the site I knew it was the one.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.