First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Im a failure as an Otaku/Weeaboo
13024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Minnesnowta
Offline
Posted 10/24/14

CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

Just pulled some stuff from Wikipedia:

Otaku - is a Japanese term for people with obsessive interests. In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku is mostly equivalent to "geek" or "nerd". When these people are referred to as otaku, they are judged for their behaviors - and people suddenly see an “otaku” as a person unable to relate to reality

Japanophilia is an interest in, or love of, Japan and everything Japanese; its opposite is Japanophobia. One who has such an interest or love is a Japanophile, sometimes derogatorily called a weeaboo.


Soooo.... why would someone like to self-identify as an otaku or weeaboo?


That's what I was going to say, only a little differently. To a Japanese person, an otaku is something like a shut-in outsider to society, and they don't like that. It beats me as to why someone would willingly call themselves a otaku/weeaboo. Weeaboo is a derogatory term for pete's sake!
9272 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
^all true. But some non-Japanese people just think an otaku is a term for an anime/manga fan.
28029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
? / ? / ?
Offline
Posted 10/24/14


1. Hikikomori is a shut in. Otaku is just an obsessive person, they can function perfectly fine in society however people may find it hard to communicate with them due to their obsession.

2. They may be derogatory terms, however many people have come to openly accept these terms and no longer really take offense by them.
48409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 10/24/14 , edited 10/24/14
I'm a failure too.
I own a few anime related things but not a lot. I'll rather be a failure than be someone like this...
Not! I would love to have all that stuff
13496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
That's the best way to be. You're an anime fan not an otaku (obsessed fan) or a weeaboo (somebody with a big bias for anything Japanese) and that's probably something you should be proud of rather than ashamed. Then again there's no shame in being an otaku - although there is quite a lot for being a weeaboo.
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
I don't get weaboos.. otakus I can sorta understand. I only own a few Naruto and Dragon Ball Z posters. I own a bunch of Dragon Ball Z stuff and that's before I even knew what "anime" was.
10053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
Seems everybody in this thread is in the same smoothly sailing boat: not spending gads on overpriced Blu-ray sets and figurines or not going to conventions doesn't mean you've lost some sort of geek cred.
One of the nice things about being a nerd is you have an open excuse to be odd. Feeling you have to live up to some otaku standard robs you of that.
14081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 10/24/14

THE-TRUE-BrandonHeat wrote:

I am the same exact way, ive watched anime since i was 8yrs old and im 21 now and ive never owned a single figure or dvd/blu ray and ive never went to a con(even though i want to). Sometimes i think about that, but everyone is different and if everyone was the same life would be boring. What i am trying to get at is you are no less of an anime fan than someone who has a room full of anime dvd's and shit. hell with the number of animes you have watched you are probably an even bigger fan:).


I think this is actually very untrue, if everyone thought like you do we wouldn't have an anime industry like we do today. Paying 8 bucks a month to third party streaming service is not enough to support the industry you claim you love. I also don't believe that you could have watched anime since you are 8 and only watched it legally. You are one of the moochers thinking that you deserve everything for free and because of that I pay more for my stuff.
Posted 10/24/14
I smell a fellow narcissist.
14081 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Nova Scotia
Offline
Posted 10/24/14 , edited 10/24/14

KarasuEL wrote:


ReikaMichiko wrote:
I've been watching anime since I was 10 (Im 25 now, yes im getting old and still like anime)
179 Anime* and 5454 episodes later, and I still don't Otaku right.


Can you double check that number because if you have only watched 179 anime in 15 years I don't think you should call yourself 'Otaku'. Unless you reaalllyyy like anime.

Also of course you cannot connect with people based off anime by itself, that'd be like trying to make friends based off watching television; you can't, there are too many shows. My school has an anime club and I could never be friends with any one of those people because we have incompatible personalities.

However I have made friends with a single person based off an anime connection but they're not an otaku they just like anime.


Judging by the amount of episodes he must have spent a lot of time watching some of the long running juggernauts like DragonBall O One Piece or something. Assuming each episode is twenty minutes (A pretty safe assumption) he has watched a little under two and a half months of anime, not a small amount by any means.
9376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
I only have like 3 figures or so (will probably have 3 more by early next year) and a modest collection of anime series. That said I'm trying not to go overboard. Don't worry about not having a lot of anime stuff, because the more stuff you have, the more stuff you have to pack and unpack if/when you move. I know this as a military brat. But...I think the OP may have abandoned this thread because she said she felt better after something someone else said on the first page.....so yeah.
11670 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Online
Posted 10/24/14

GrayAshbringer wrote:


CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

Just pulled some stuff from Wikipedia:

Otaku - is a Japanese term for people with obsessive interests. In modern Japanese slang, the term otaku is mostly equivalent to "geek" or "nerd". When these people are referred to as otaku, they are judged for their behaviors - and people suddenly see an “otaku” as a person unable to relate to reality

Japanophilia is an interest in, or love of, Japan and everything Japanese; its opposite is Japanophobia. One who has such an interest or love is a Japanophile, sometimes derogatorily called a weeaboo.


Soooo.... why would someone like to self-identify as an otaku or weeaboo?


That's what I was going to say, only a little differently. To a Japanese person, an otaku is something like a shut-in outsider to society, and they don't like that. It beats me as to why someone would willingly call themselves a otaku/weeaboo. Weeaboo is a derogatory term for pete's sake!


Which Japanese person though? This term varies a lot depending on who you talk to. I heard from a Japanese person that the derogatory connotation lies mainly with the elder generation. It was a bad term in the late 1900s but that's outdated now.


OT: I don't really care what people do with their anime/manga. Whatever they do is their own interests and the way they combine passions.
6016 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/24/14 , edited 10/24/14
I can see how you might feel like you're missing out on something-
I'm of a similar age and it's definitely hard to meet people with the same extreme passions (hah...)
Go to a con! Even if you go by yourself, you're bound to meet some cool people if you try. If talking to rando people isn't your thing, there's plenty of cool stuff to check out. That said, I would recommend going to a big'un, like ACEN or Otakkon or something depending on where you live. Those are big enough that they have something for everyone depending on what your niche is.

I also would like to add that the term Weeaboo cracks me up. Mostly because if you have even heard that term, it's because you probably spent too much time on the internet. How can something like that possibly be insulting?
1339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
I don't buy figurines.
But I do buy anime every once in awhile
(I buy manga a lot more tho'. Especially since they're less expensive, and I can buy a lot of them in bulk, which would equal like, one DVD* -depending upon the publisher, anyway- .)

*Yes, DVD's, I don't have a Blu-ray player XD.
1580 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / MO
Offline
Posted 10/24/14
I have bought a couple of mangas, not a single DVD,a dn I've only cosplayed once to go to the movie showing of DeathNote at my loal movie theater (which we werent able to end up going anyway cause it was only 18+ and life half of the group that was cosplaying was under 18 sadpanda) still feel like I don't cooperate enough to the artists/writers but I am also poor and spend most of my money on rent and living expenses ; ~ ;
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.