First  Prev  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  Next  Last
Post Reply Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?
831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Europe
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17
I just like SAO, neither love it nor hate it. There's things I like and enjoy, but also some things I don't. I think what bothered me the most is that they didn't take more time with that first arc. I felt the story just kept jumping ahead, instead of actually following Kirito's development, like it had to rush everything. Perhaps that is part of why he seems so OP, we just don't get to see the progress or work. What I did like was both the idea of virtual worlds and how real they can become, but also that in that very reality lies a danger. For some reason we tend to differentiate virtual as compared to IRL, but what is said and done online can hurt and have very RL consequences. All our experiences are real in the end.

I won't even get into the later arcs.
459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 10/1/17
I've never watched Sword Art Online except for the first episode, so I can't tell you why it was overrated and never really deserving to be popular.

But I can tell you why Log Horizon would have been a better MMORPG anime. Compared to SAO being a one-man army fantasy on the level of all these 80's and 90's action movies featuring stars like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, LH focused more on group dynamics, both during battle and outside of it. LH had more character development for both Shiroe and his numerous friends, but kept the action to a bare minimum in order to fully flesh out those characters even more so. And even when it did get to the action, it still emphasized group dynamics, more so than SAO focusing more on the individual.

In my opinion, comparing SAO and LH is like comparing Kamen Rider with Super Sentai. The former focuses more on one hero soloing waves of monsters-of-the-week, similar to SAO. The latter, meanwhile, reinforces group dynamics similar to LH.
60 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/23/17
It's easy. It's overrated.
Because: Popularity > Quality

Now it's not a horrible anime as some would say. It's just average at best.
60 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/23/17

Commander_PonyShep wrote:

I've never watched Sword Art Online except for the first episode, so I can't tell you why it was overrated and never really deserving to be popular.

But I can tell you why Log Horizon would have been a better MMORPG anime. Compared to SAO being a one-man army fantasy on the level of all these 80's and 90's action movies featuring stars like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger, LH focused more on group dynamics, both during battle and outside of it. LH had more character development for both Shiroe and his numerous friends, but kept the action to a bare minimum in order to fully flesh out those characters even more so. And even when it did get to the action, it still emphasized group dynamics, more so than SAO focusing more on the individual.

In my opinion, comparing SAO and LH is like comparing Kamen Rider with Super Sentai. The former focuses more on one hero soloing waves of monsters-of-the-week, similar to SAO. The latter, meanwhile, reinforces group dynamics similar to LH.


AND.... THIS!! ^
37525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/23/17
Every time I check out this never ending thread I feel like I just took a time machine to 2012.

I think it might be time to move on. The fans certainly did. Like...half a decade ago. Which is why whenever the "overrated" claim gets thrown around I tend to cringe a bit. Overrated, yet only still talked about by people who dislike the show. Yeah. That makes loads of sense.
xxJing 
41832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 10/1/17

Balzack wrote:

Every time I check out this never ending thread I feel like I just took a time machine to 2012.

I think it might be time to move on. The fans certainly did. Like...half a decade ago. Which is why whenever the "overrated" claim gets thrown around I tend to cringe a bit. Overrated, yet only still talked about by people who dislike the show. Yeah. That makes loads of sense.


Complaining about SAO puts me in a happy place. It allows me to forget about actual problems.
14779 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/23/17
Wow this thread is still going strong. What more to add...SAO's stale character interactions or did somebody say that? Well I hate Kirito's black jacket hah.
15124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / AH / Helipad
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/24/17
Both the hate for SAO and the love for SAO are over-hyped.
18866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 8/23/17 , edited 8/24/17
i liked SAO because it didnt end at the end of the aincrad arc like i was expecting it to. as a series, it was pretty non predictable. the holy grail of storytelling for me.
17 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 9/30/17 , edited 10/1/17
SAO ALICIZATION HYPE
grond 
4311 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Long Island, NY
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/1/17
1) The primary answer is that some people HATE anything that is hyped more than they, themselves, liked it. They see this show, they think is kinda meh and everyone is joyously shouting that this show is so awesome. That becomes really irritating after a while. The mature thing is to ignore it and let people enjoy what they enjoy, but most will lash out at the annoyance, which leads us to...

2) Trolls. They usually don't hate the show, but it is so easy to troll people who are blindly enamored with the show that it is hard to resist the temptation to troll them.

3) Reki Kawahara. The author absolutely and painfully obviously had never played an MMO in his life when he started writing the series. He even says about 6 books in or so that he was finally playing an MMO for the first time. No research and just making stuff up about a subject many of your reader/watchers know very well, tends to tick some off. He did guess right about how Asian-Style PvP works, but that's about the end of his technical accuracy. I have found this to be very common in Japanese Light Novels. Amateur authors cranking out lots of short books, with absolutely no time put into research whatsoever.

4) Artwork. From the beginning to Ordinal Scale, 4 years have passed. The characters are at ages where many changes are happening to their bodies. The youngest, like Suguha and Silica would be affected the most. Asuna, being older, probably wouldn't have changed much as she was past her teen growth spurt. Kirito should look totally different from when it all started as he would have hit his growth spurt towards the end of SAO and would still be in the middle of it. He would be much taller, a little more bulk, more angles to the face and a bit of scraggly facial hair starting to grow.

As for myself, I really enjoyed the show. It was easy to watch, a lot of fun, and as an long time, avid MMORPG player, being stuck in the game and making it your home was a very interesting subject. Sure, every episode some game mechanic or player behavior would strike me as unrealistic, but I ignored it and continued with the show. Once you get out of the MMOs and into the Alicization arc, it goes into new territory and there will be less mechanics you can obviously nitpick about.
xxJing 
41832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/1/17

grond wrote:

1) The primary answer is that some people HATE anything that is hyped more than they, themselves, liked it. They see this show, they think is kinda meh and everyone is joyously shouting that this show is so awesome. That becomes really irritating after a while. The mature thing is to ignore it and let people enjoy what they enjoy, but most will lash out at the annoyance, which leads us to...


This is primarily it for me.

To me, SAO deserves no more praise (and sometimes even less) than any other harem. Hell I think that Strike the Blood, even though it has some of the most cliche aspects to it as far as the harem goes, is in the long run a much better paced and thought-out show than SAO is. SAO has horrible pacing, horrible character development, it falls back on pretty much cookie cutter plot devices to carry any semblance of a story. The villains are all one dimensional evil rapists that just wait to destroyed by our dork in shining plot armor MC. It's irritating that this show is praised so much when there are dozens of better shows out there that do the same things much better yet have only received like a fraction of the attention and budget of SAO.

I really want to know, out of all the wish fulfillment power fantasy anime out there, how does this, one of the least creative, get so many followers.
27091 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/1/17
This thread again.

Kirito treating Kayaba Akihito with respect in the climax of the ALO is incredibly rage inducing in hindsight, to the point I feel I was too lenient with my scoring.

Simply, what happened with the Black Cats is incredibly horrible. Not only did nearly everyone, including Sachi die, with Kirito blaming himself for not being able to prevent this, but he also saw the leader commit suicide. I am baffled by how anyone can condemn the lascivious Sugou but not Kayaba Akihito, especially Kirito of all people.

Suicide is perhaps one of the most horrible things a person can witness, and with the added feeling of being responsible, I do not see why it would not stay with Kirito in any shape or form. I am not asking him to mope around, but this is morally inconsistent, based on the idea that Kirito respects Kayaba for his work.


What utter bullshit.
12512 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/1/17

xxJing wrote:

I really want to know, out of all the wish fulfillment power fantasy anime out there, how does this, one of the least creative, get so many followers.


To me, it's got that "Final Fantasy 7" factor going on. SAO is a gateway anime in the same way that FF7 was a gateway JRPG. It was, for many people the first thing of that genre/medium that they experienced thus it has a special bulletproof aura of nostalgia attached to it. They can't see or won't admit to any flaws it has, even the most obvious ones, because of the special place it holds in their heart.

45608 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/1/17 , edited 10/1/17
I very much enjoyed the first arc of SAO. And even though it became clear Kirito had indestructible plot armour the tension of who around him might die added a degree of excitement that let me look past the flaws, much like with AoT. However, unlike AoT once SAO hit the second arc all of that tension vanished and exposed SAO for the harem it truly was. At that point I lost interest. I can't say I hated it but nor can I say it really captivated me any longer.

I get the feeling that for at least some people the "let down" caused by that sudden shift in tone left a bitter aftertaste.
First  Prev  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  64  65  66  67  68  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.