First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Dub Hate
15021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / Alliston, Canada
Offline
Posted 10/26/14
Is there any specific reason that people hate on english dubs? I understand that some dubs are far inferior, in my experience at least 65% of dubs aren't good at all, but that still leaves 35% for a dub to be good. I've seen people get called "inferior anime fans" simply because they prefer the dub versions of some animes to sub version, and really its just unnecessary. Its too a point that before even giving a dub a chance people will say "its awful" without having watched it, or if a trailer comes out, they base the whole dubs quality on up to 2 minutes of viewing. I can't be alone on here in saying that dubs aren't awful, some shows have better dubbed versions than sub I find, like Cowboy Bebop and Death Note. If you're a dub hater, please answer this question. What criteria makes a dub bad?
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
99% of all statistical data on forums are made up.
56927 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Online
Posted 10/26/14
A dub is bad if you personally don't like it and good if you do.
4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
Subs are preferred when the animation is for spoken japanese for the simple reason of mouth movement.
24281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14
If they are done well, i.e. FLCL, Panty and Stocking they are loved. If they are shit, i.e. Gundam Wing, Hunter x Hunter they are hated.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 10/26/14
To be certain there are bad dubs. But not all dubs are bad by default.

If dubs are what it takes to get someone to try anime and eventually become a fan, big flipping deal! Hell if it wasn't for dubs, the amount of anime fans in the US, for example, would be drastically decreased, because the entire Toonami generation(which I was part of) got their start on dubs...
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Online
Posted 10/26/14
Here's how it goes (at least for me). You first only watch dubs because you hate reading subs. Then theres a series you really want to watch but there no dub, so you watch it anyway. This happens like 3 times, and then you are used to it so you don't care either way. Then you watch a series with a bad dub (like Clannad) you almost puke at how bad you now realize it is, and then you suddenly prefer subs. Ignorance is bliss...
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14
good dubs --> dragon ball, yuyu hakusho, naruto (at least for me motherfuckers), fairy tail, etc...

bad dubs -> the rest guided by 4kids and one piece
9547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 10/26/14
No because at the end of the day, no matter what audio you're listening to, it's still the same material.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 10/26/14

colorfulhoudini wrote:

No because at the end of the day, no matter what audio you're listening to, it's still the same material.


Not necessarily. There ARE gag dubs that change things around. For example, Duel Masters. I always thought it was a parody of card battle series due to the dub, only to see a Japanese version of an episode years later and found out the series was supposed to be dead serious.

So the footage may be the same(and even that isn't a guarantee, just look at how 4K!DS handled One Piece), but the actual lines and story can be changed.
11696 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Online
Posted 10/26/14
It's mainly preference. The kind of people who would call people who prefer dubs "inferior anime fans" can summarily be ignored though. They are likely in that phase some people go through when they are young and into anime where if it's not japanese than it's garbage.

Some shows I've seen enough subtitled that those voices are kinda ingrained in my mind as being attached to that character. It's hard for me to watch Code Geass or Haruhi dubbed because of that. Other shows I'll give the English dub a try and if it's good I'll stick with it, even if I watched it first subtitled. I often watch Funimations dub of One Piece now when I turn on those DVDs cause I think all the main crew have excellent English performances (though Luffy takes getting used to). Then there are other shows where either the writing of the English script is poor, or performances are poor or mismatched for the characters they are doing. Elfen Lied and Abenobashi Shopping Arcade are two that I feel fall into this category.
9547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 10/26/14

Koda89 wrote:


colorfulhoudini wrote:

No because at the end of the day, no matter what audio you're listening to, it's still the same material.


Not necessarily. There ARE gag dubs that change things around. For example, Duel Masters. I always thought it was a parody of card battle series due to the dub, only to see a Japanese version of an episode years later and found out the series was supposed to be dead serious.

So the footage may be the same(and even that isn't a guarantee, just look at how 4K!DS handled One Piece), but the actual lines and story can be changed.


In that case, I understand. I have never witnessed any english dubs that bad.
Koda89 
33626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Oklahoma City, OK
Offline
Posted 10/26/14

colorfulhoudini wrote:


Koda89 wrote:


colorfulhoudini wrote:

No because at the end of the day, no matter what audio you're listening to, it's still the same material.


Not necessarily. There ARE gag dubs that change things around. For example, Duel Masters. I always thought it was a parody of card battle series due to the dub, only to see a Japanese version of an episode years later and found out the series was supposed to be dead serious.

So the footage may be the same(and even that isn't a guarantee, just look at how 4K!DS handled One Piece), but the actual lines and story can be changed.


In that case, I understand. I have never witnessed any english dubs that bad.


Oh I never said Duel Masters' dub was bad. I actually prefer it to the original version. Cause, let's be real, card battle shows are just...dumb. They are too ridiculous to take seriously. So a gag dub in this case ended up working better.
5126 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Alabama, USA
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
Ghost Stories for best gag dub
35286 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / http://myanimelis...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14

ThisWasATriumph wrote:

Here's how it goes (at least for me). You first only watch dubs because you hate reading subs. Then theres a series you really want to watch but there no dub, so you watch it anyway. This happens like 3 times, and then you are used to it so you don't care either way. Then you watch a series with a bad dub (like Clannad) you almost puke at how bad you now realize it is, and then you suddenly prefer subs. Ignorance is bliss...


How my weabooness began, as most likely did many others'. Proud of it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.