First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Should smokers be allowed to make their own decisions?
24271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/29/14
Then you should ban drink and supercars and guns as well. They just serve as forms of enjoyment which if used irresponsibly can not only kill you but others.
64447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / US
Offline
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 11/29/14

Sir_jamesalot


If it is bad then you should try to ban it.


Or I could, you know, respect other people's rights.

Rights are only rights so long as they are taken and enforced for everybody. If something can be given or taken away it is a privilege and not a right. If we pick and choose who has rights and who does not, then no one has rights.

If you love anything, if you enjoy anything, or if you do anything, then it is in your best interest to stand up for the rights of others - if not one day you may find that YOU are the one getting screwed.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 11/29/14

dark_paradox_21 wrote:
Or I could, you know, respect other people's rights.

Rights are only rights so long as they are taken and enforced for everybody. If something can be given or taken away it is a privilege and not a right. If we pick and choose who has rights and who does not, then no one has rights.

If you love anything, if you enjoy anything, or if you do anything, then it is in your best interest to stand up for the rights of others - if not one day you may find that YOU are the one getting screwed.


bad is bad, it must be removed.
24271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 11/29/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:


dark_paradox_21 wrote:
Or I could, you know, respect other people's rights.

Rights are only rights so long as they are taken and enforced for everybody. If something can be given or taken away it is a privilege and not a right. If we pick and choose who has rights and who does not, then no one has rights.

If you love anything, if you enjoy anything, or if you do anything, then it is in your best interest to stand up for the rights of others - if not one day you may find that YOU are the one getting screwed.


bad is bad, it must be removed.


/sarcasm?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 11/29/14

MysticGon wrote:

Then you should ban drink and supercars and guns as well. They just serve as forms of enjoyment which if used irresponsibly can not only kill you but others.


When used responsibly they don't hurt anyone, irresponsible people are the cancer.
64447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / US
Offline
Posted 11/29/14
Well, I suspected before, but it's 100% clear now that this is a troll thread.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 12/7/14

dark_paradox_21 wrote:

Well, I suspected before, but it's 100% clear now that this is a troll thread.


Because your argument was weak, this entire thread is a troll.
18036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14

Sir_jamesalot wrote:


I don't think it's a good argument to say you do something because you have the right.
Rights can be taken away or rewritten at anytime, they are not absolute.
I should be based on what seems like a good idea and if it seems like a good idea to do something detrimental then mabe you should think twice about your own judgement.


Hmm, reminds me of the alcohol ban ... should probably find a more specific example to back your argument.

My opinion on this whole matter falls into the middle. I think people should be free do do things that do not interfere with the rights of others. People should decide for themselves on being smokers (or quitting), though I do believe that we should keep restrictions (and possibly increase said restrictions) on where people can smoke. I also think people should have the right to 'shoo" smokers from unwanted vicinities such as yourself or loved ones (family, partner, etc.). There should also be heavier restrictions on e-cigarettes, not only do I consider it extremely rude when people 'light-up' or 'turn- on' an e-cig in non-smoke zones, there can be several other reasons for the 'non-smoking' area as well (from the most obvious such as airplanes to: playgrounds; restaurants, especially higher establishments who may wish for a specific appearance on the establishment.)


However, if I had to what type of clean air I breathe, I would rather breathe in cigarette smoke than car emissions.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 12/7/14

I_am_DJ wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:


I don't think it's a good argument to say you do something because you have the right.
Rights can be taken away or rewritten at anytime, they are not absolute.
I should be based on what seems like a good idea and if it seems like a good idea to do something detrimental then mabe you should think twice about your own judgement.


Hmm, reminds me of the alcohol ban ... should probably find a more specific example to back your argument.


If you can think of a scenario where it would be a good idea, I would like to hear it.
18036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/7/14



Off the top of my mind, I can't think of any good scenario. Though I say that trying to micro-manage peoples lives is a a bad idea (and borderline tyrannical). Take the italicized text below as my thoughts to the faults of your argument ...

If you have ever asked a smoker as to why they smoke, some responses you may receive will relate to: stress relief; social (smoke with friends); enjoyment (happiness or comes in many flavors).

Your original argument can be applied to ice cream which is known to be highly addictive (due to dairy and high amounts of sugar).
Foods that have high amounts of addictive characteristics can cause eating disorders and cause obesity. There are also many healthier and more nutritional options available for people to enjoy, thus it makes no sense on why people buy and eat ice cream.
Should people (especially those with obesity) be allowed to eat a food that promotes self-destructive behavior and be allowed to think for themselves?

Though, if I asked people on why they enjoy ice cream, the responses I would receive would likely be very similar to those of smokers:
Relieves stress; Social (eat with friends); enjoyment (happiness or comes in many flavors).


Overall what you suggest is oppressive to peoples freedom of choice. I would also like to point out that anything that is not moderated can be potentially destructive. If I drink too much alcohol, I destroy myself and likely others around me; if I do nothing but sit in front of my computer then I destroy myself and harm society but not taking a part in it; if I drink too much water at one instance I can die and would thus put the psychological well-being of my immediate family.

I get the point that you try to bring up in your argument, but it can be applied to just about anything.
Iregi 
5189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/14
If someone wants to kill themselves why intervene? We all care about soldiers who are suicidal because they signed up to do the things that fucked their brains, right? I mean this is another subject where there is no definitive right or wrong IMO.

If people want to go outside and kill themselves let em. They aren't disrupting my meal and to quote Denis Leary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE9MPkeou9k We all know it's bad for you. Who cares if it doesn't hurt you? Live and let live right?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 12/7/14

I_am_DJ wrote:

I get the point that you try to bring up in your argument, but it can be applied to just about anything.


So apply it to just about everything, I don't have a problem with that.
I'm pro tyranny when it governs the actual needs of the people.
18036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/7/14


While I may agree that micro-managing peoples lives can create an extremely uniformed society, they are usually short lived due to some type of insurrection.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 12/8/14

I_am_DJ wrote:



While I may agree that micro-managing peoples lives can create an extremely uniformed society, they are usually short lived due to some type of insurrection.


Better make that illegal, too.
No rebellion allowed!
18036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/8/14



Yeah, cause outlawing products or activities always works (glances at the black market)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.