First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
To Quarantine Or Not To Quarantine?
Posted 10/30/14
Unless you have a device that beeps if people have it then yes. Why are they flying back when they're most required anyway? Cowards.
17096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

PhantomGundam wrote:



Even though Obama didn't cause this mess, it's hard to say he's been doing a good job dealing with it. The ebola czar he hired hasn't even gotten to work yet. He missed his first meeting and hasn't done anything. The white house is now sending mixed signals saying "quarantine is evil blah blah blah" and then later in the same day they approve of a quarantine for people who have had less contact with ebola than the health care workers have had. The only down side of having a quarantine is that you have white house officials mad at you, which could actually be considered a compliment at this point.


Makes you wonder how our previous Bush would have handled this situation, or I mean, left that up to the white house. I'm sure Obama was appointed the ebola czar that was hired, it's not like it was his personal decision to hire someone that somehow ended up not doing the work. Whatever criticisms and decisions are being made right now, almost 98% of it is rooted within the white house. It's plain foolish to point fingers in a time that requires a prompt solution. Kind of like what happens every time congress is required to even mention talks about a better health care system. It's all "who gets the blame and who should we frame next" instead of working together for the sake of our people. And that my friend, is why the US is the laughing stock country to the rest of the nations.
10060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Across the Narrow...
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
Quarantine is fine by my means. Not like we're being imprisoned for a decade.
17077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/31/14

DollyDagger11 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:



Even though Obama didn't cause this mess, it's hard to say he's been doing a good job dealing with it. The ebola czar he hired hasn't even gotten to work yet. He missed his first meeting and hasn't done anything. The white house is now sending mixed signals saying "quarantine is evil blah blah blah" and then later in the same day they approve of a quarantine for people who have had less contact with ebola than the health care workers have had. The only down side of having a quarantine is that you have white house officials mad at you, which could actually be considered a compliment at this point.


Makes you wonder how our previous Bush would have handled this situation, or I mean, left that up to the white house. I'm sure Obama was appointed the ebola czar that was hired, it's not like it was his personal decision to hire someone that somehow ended up not doing the work. Whatever criticisms and decisions are being made right now, almost 98% of it is rooted within the white house. It's plain foolish to point fingers in a time that requires a prompt solution. Kind of like what happens every time congress is required to even mention talks about a better health care system. It's all "who gets the blame and who should we frame next" instead of working together for the sake of our people. And that my friend, is why the US is the laughing stock country to the rest of the nations.


omg wtf did bush obama or any other obscenely retarded political bullshit have to do with the medical science....come on anime fans are supposed to be educated nerds...so why am i seeing nothing but comments by the barely educated masses who are so poorly educated that they swallow the media hype hook line and sinker... i cannot be the only person on these forums with some medical training.

what the hell lets just ban any one who has gone to Africa from ever re interning the us. that means that all the us companies that rely on recourses from Africa will have to stop doing business putting millions of Americans out of work. of course no American medical professionals will go there to contain the disease thus leading to a continent wide pandemic that will spread to Europe and Asia..then you dark ages retards will demand we cut ourselves off from the rest of the world because they are all infected..causing the complete and total collapse of the us economy. or you idiots who barely rank 30th in the world in math and science can stfu and let people who actually know what they are talking about do what needs to be done with a disease that on the whole is serious but not that serious.
60151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

bernardwheelerjr wrote:

what the hell lets just ban any one who has gone to Africa from ever re interning the us. that means that all the us companies that rely on recourses from Africa will have to stop doing business putting millions of Americans out of work. of course no American medical professionals will go there to contain the disease thus leading to a continent wide pandemic that will spread to Europe and Asia..then you dark ages retards will demand we cut ourselves off from the rest of the world because they are all infected..causing the complete and total collapse of the us economy. or you idiots who barely rank 30th in the world in math and science can stfu and let people who actually know what they are talking about do what needs to be done with a disease that on the whole is serious but not that serious.


Maybe you should stick to medical science.
17096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

bernardwheelerjr wrote:



omg wtf did bush obama or any other obscenely retarded political bullshit have to do with the medical science....come on anime fans are supposed to be educated nerds...so why am i seeing nothing but comments by the barely educated masses who are so poorly educated that they swallow the media hype hook line and sinker... i cannot be the only person on these forums with some medical training.


Oh, I'm sorry.

I didn't know the highly educated were the ones who bashed others for their views and concerns. Let alone point fingers at people and calling them "uneducated" for mentioning how our government is handling the situation. Since I mean, none of that has anything to do with what has happened thus far, right? I will keep in mind how educated you really are.

My sincerest apologies.
46359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / End of Nowhere
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

PhantomGundam wrote:
So my question is:

Do you feel people who have had contact with ebola patients in West Africa should be quarantined for 21 days when they return home?



Of course not, that is silly. Self Monitoring is one thing, quarantine at this stage is just giving in to fear and irrationality.

The science. The science is we know Ebola. Ebola did not just appear last week, it has been around and been studied since 1976. And guess what? People have been to areas with it and come to the US and not been infected and not infected anyone else in that period. You just cannot get Ebola that easily. It spreads in Africa due to poor sanitation and health facilities, and due to the peculiarities of their funeral rituals. But you cannot get Ebola from just being near someone with it.

One more time.

How many people have died in the US from Ebola?

Answer: 1. One. That is it. One. 3000 people die each year in the US from the common cold and we are living in fear of a disease that has killed 1 person in the US? And that person had the disease before even coming here.

How many people have been infected in the US from Ebola?

Answer: 2. Two. That is it, just 2. And both were nurses who likely made mistakes in their decontamination procedures while working with the above patient during his terminal phase. Which is really the only time a person really is at risk. Just before that too, but unless you are in the habit of letting people bleed on you or touching other people's open sores without gloves, there is not much risk. Projectile vomiting is the main risk factor.

How many people have we quarantined that turned out not to have Ebola?

Answer: Not sure off hand, dozens?

The problem with America is not QE3 or Obama or Bush or Putin or Democrats or Republicans or CNN or Fox News. The problem is that we have stopped being a country that looks to the future and one that lives in fear. Cowers in fear. And denial of reality. And we let other people take advantage of that fear to make us live ever more in fear.

Now I am not saying quarantine is never the answer. Or that we should never consider quarantine. We may, god forbid, one day have to. But We. Are. Not. There. Yet. Or even close.

Personally I am pretty much done with threads like this. If people want to live and cower in fear of their neighbor or a stranger or tomorrow, then so be it. Live a petty life devoid of anything other than fear, because fear feeds on itself. When you start to fear a small thing, it grows and eats at you and soon you fear many things, soon enough you see everyone as a threat. Fear leads to the Dark Side, it really is that simple.

And if there is any other reason why quarantine at this time is just silly, it is that quarantine is exactly what North Korea has done. Really, do we really want to imitate North Korea? In any fashion? If there is any hard indicator that a quarantine right now is nothing more than giving in to fear it is that the more fearful nation on the planet has given in to it. Be like North Korea if you want, I prefer rationality and science.
41848 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
Quarantine? Yes. bernardwheelerjr's hostility towards liberal arts majors? Well, maybe not so much. . .
24444 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
Quarantine them....But Who will pay for them...How will they eat....How will they hold their job? If the state (local government) would take responsibility, then it is fine. As of yet, nobody has stepped up to say yeah, we will take care of you. But for people who have direct contact with "Ebola", a 21 day Quarantine is reasonable, as long as its paid for.

But if you want to Quarantine Africa, then you need to Quarantine All travel.....Doctors, Business, White, Black etc.....You will also have to Quarantine Europe too, seeing that you must pass through Europe first to come from Africa to USA. There are no direct flights to stop.

Anything short of that is useless politics fodder to feed the mindless masses. So do not eat the bowl of bull they are throwing at you.

P.S.... you had SARS, Swine Flu, and no talk about Quarantine....hmm......You had talk about closing the southern border, but no talk about the northern border (who just had a verified Terrorist attack)....hmm.....
17096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

kevz_210 wrote:

Pro quarantine, all you need is one of this medical professionals to fail to report and start sneezing all over the NYC subway to bring the epidemic close to home. Bodily fluids includes snot and water particles from coughing. I am still not buying the "its not a big deal argument" we are getting from the Feds. FYI The government issued a mandatory quarantine order for military personal. Look you get to stay at home, the government is willing to provide protections so people cannot get fired and will pick up the tab for their salaries, what more do you people want?


Boom, done.

Kudos to you on mentioning the military quarantines. It's no longer about the outbreak being an overreaction, it's about safety.
46745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Greed Island
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
Quarantine if the health care workers are given the appropriate equipment to deal with people who are just carriers and those who actually suffering from it. I like the idea of the happy medium though with quarantine measures not too extreme, but not too light either.
46359 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / End of Nowhere
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

DollyDagger11 wrote:


kevz_210 wrote:

Pro quarantine, all you need is one of this medical professionals to fail to report and start sneezing all over the NYC subway to bring the epidemic close to home. Bodily fluids includes snot and water particles from coughing. I am still not buying the "its not a big deal argument" we are getting from the Feds. FYI The government issued a mandatory quarantine order for military personal. Look you get to stay at home, the government is willing to provide protections so people cannot get fired and will pick up the tab for their salaries, what more do you people want?


Boom, done.

Kudos to you on mentioning the military quarantines. It's no longer about the outbreak being an overreaction, it's about safety.


The government did not quarantine military personal, the military did it to themselves. It was requested by the Joint Chiefs. And is frankly just easy ass covering for them.

And of course it is an over reaction. That is what the military does in situations like this. Because if they do not, and 1 corporal somewhere comes down with Ebola, 2/3rds of congress is going to be screaming for the scalps of the entire joint chiefs of staff and misquoting and frankly making up anything they might have said before. It is not about risk or safety or rationality, it is about the military covering their asses. And I am not saying this is wrong, because if they do not cover their ass Congress will be all over them likes flies on...yeah. But do not confuse their actions for rationality or safety or science. It is ass covering in case of a worse case scenario because no general or admiral wants to take an early forced retirement.

And it is not like being on a base is any different from being quarantined really. They might as well be for all practical purposes. It is easy enough for the military to tell their personnel "You cannot leave the base". It is rather more difficult both in terms of money and the practical like food and supplies to do so to thousands of people scattered throughout a city.
17077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/31/14
ok lets quarantine them...so anyone here willing to give up 21 days of their pay? because in the end they will not go there and help because just like you they cannot afford to loose 21 days pay on top of the pay they already gave up volunteering to deal with the disease over there. if they do not deal with it there it will get out of control..so again i am asking are you willing to out of your own pocket pay those health care workers for that 21 day quarantine? and i mean out of your own pocket and not the tax payers pocket


lol i just had a thought...maybe we should draft people to go deal with it...then they might change their tune lmao
17096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Los Angeles
Offline
Posted 10/30/14


Cellory wrote:

The government did not quarantine military personal, the military did it to themselves. It was requested by the Joint Chiefs. And is frankly just easy ass covering for them.

And of course it is an over reaction. That is what the military does in situations like this. Because if they do not, and 1 corporal somewhere comes down with Ebola, 2/3rds of congress is going to be screaming for the scalps of the entire joint chiefs of staff and misquoting and frankly making up anything they might have said before. It is not about risk or safety or rationality, it is about the military covering their asses. And I am not saying this is wrong, because if they do not cover their ass Congress will be all over them likes flies on...yeah. But do not confuse their actions for rationality or safety or science. It is ass covering in case of a worse case scenario because no general or admiral wants to take an early forced retirement.

And it is not like being on a base is any different from being quarantined really. They might as well be for all practical purposes. It is easy enough for the military to tell their personnel "You cannot leave the base". It is rather more difficult both in terms of money and the practical like food and supplies to do so to thousands of people scattered throughout a city.


The decision was made between defense secretary (Hagel) and the joint chief of staff. Both sides including the government came down to this decision. So yeah, all military personnel returning from Ebola missions in West Africa are being quarantined. There doesn't seem anything irrational about this. This is an action of common sense that shouldn't even be debated. If I was in the military, or a nurse that was involved with the ebola missions, I would gladly take those measures.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. You begin with stating "this is an overreaction to the public and it's just all about ass covering"

And then you say "But if they don't, and 1 corporal somewhere comes down with Ebola.........."

See that's the thing. You just can't be sure about a disease outbreak. We are one of the few countries learning how to handle this outbreak, and although it's just now beginning in the US, world wide the case tolls at a whopping 10,000. Sure some die, and some don't. But telling me this is an overreaction and people are just taking preventative measures to cover for themselves is a bit out there.
17077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
44 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/31/14
as an independent and a war time service vetran with the national defense medal i rarely agree with the current president. but as a soldier who was also certified as a combat life saver and the son of a registered nurse and the brother of a clinical psychologist... Obama has this right. you quarantine freaks are going to make a bad situation catastrophic. so unless you are willing to volunteer and then spend 3 weeks without pay or are willing to pay out of your own pocket to compensate those medical workers for their lost income ..stfu


as we speak doctors and nurses are refusing to go to the hot zone because you ass holes insist they get quarenteened after they volinteer their skills without pay.
by your twisted logic you would need to be on house arrest without pay if you had the flu as that is far more contagious and potentially deadly.
we would also have to put anyone with aids herpes or hpv in a permanent leper colony. those with syphilis or gonorrhea would need to be quarantined until they were determined disease free.
2868 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
I wonder if this will still be a topic after midterms or if by then the guys who run the government and media will let them know that ebola fears are not conductive to having American people go out to stores and spend what little money they have on worthless crap for the holidays.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.