Post Reply Ditch Adobe Flash and Modernize Site
6041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
Use HTML5 with MSE. Just like YouTube and Netflix. Provide plugin version for old browsers only.

Also, upgrade the site and forum - it looks and functions like it is a scam site or something from ten years ago.
Posted 10/30/14
What type of forum layout are you looking for?
6041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14

IgniteBadIntentions wrote:

What type of forum layout are you looking for?


https://www.phpbb.com/showcase/
8170 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / WI
Offline
Posted 10/30/14
I agree that the player could be updated. But, the subscription is cheap for the amount I get out of it.
The Wise Wizard
99871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 10/31/14

udedenkz wrote:

Use HTML5 with MSE. Just like YouTube and Netflix. Provide plugin version for old browsers only.

CR already addressed the HTML5 request earlier this year during the Reddit AMA. The short answer is don't expect them to move to HTML 5 any time soon.

6041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

TheAncientOne wrote:
CR already addressed the HTML5 request earlier this year during the Reddit AMA. The short answer is don't expect them to move to HTML 5 any time soon.

Well the current player is quite bad and it shouldn't be hard to find a web developer.

Some features that CR should take from Netflix & YouTube,
4K Video
Automatic video quality adjustment based on bandwidth available
Showing how much buffered

The Wise Wizard
99871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

udedenkz wrote:

Some features that CR should take from Netflix & YouTube,
4K Video
Automatic video quality adjustment based on bandwidth available
Showing how much buffered

4K video would be useless for anime. There is debate if 1080p is really a benefit (vs. devoting the same amount of bandwidth to better 720p).

Automatic video quality adjustment is a feature of the apps, and you'll find a contingent of people that don't like it. If CR ever went that way with the web player, I would hope they would have the option to chose between auto and a fixed resolution.

Showing how much was buffered would be helpful, as at least then you wouldn't have people pausing a video for excessively long times in the belief that would actually do any good. (The buffer on DRM-protected videos at CR or any site is quite short).
6041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

TheAncientOne wrote:
4K video would be useless for anime. There is debate if 1080p is really a benefit (vs. devoting the same amount of bandwidth to better 720p).

Automatic video quality adjustment is a feature of the apps, and you'll find a contingent of people that don't like it. If CR ever went that way with the web player, I would hope they would have the option to chose between auto and a fixed resolution.

Showing how much was buffered would be helpful, as at least then you wouldn't have people pausing a video for excessively long times in the belief that would actually do any good. (The buffer on DRM-protected videos at CR or any site is quite short).


3D and backgrounds will benefit. Any vectored animation will benefit too, although slightly.
Some encoders use { original -> upscale -> encode -> downscale } to increase quality.

People also don't like stuttering and pauses. Besides if the servers are not under stress, the video will automatically play in highest setting allowed by MIN { Server Bandwidth, User ISP plan }. There is no downside.

Buffer should be at least a few minutes long. CR streams seems to use variable bitrate encoding because during film grain, rain, etc. they tend to stutter (probably because of lack of a proper buffering feature?).
The Wise Wizard
99871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/2/14

udedenkz wrote:

3D and backgrounds will benefit. Any vectored animation will benefit too, although slightly.
Some encoders use { original -> upscale -> encode -> downscale } to increase quality.

People also don't like stuttering and pauses. Besides if the servers are not under stress, the video will automatically play in highest setting allowed by MIN { Server Bandwidth, User ISP plan }. There is no downside.

Buffer should be at least a few minutes long. CR streams seems to use variable bitrate encoding because during film grain, rain, etc. they tend to stutter (probably because of lack of a proper buffering feature?).

Very little of animation work is done in vector format, and what little is is rendered for a target resolution that doesn't include 4K. You might be surprised how little work is actually done even a 1080 now, but at least we can be confident that at least it could be. Japanese animators aren't going to be getting 4K workstations any time soon.

Even assuming the studios had the equipment necessary to produce 4K anime, why would they be doing so? 4K physical media isn't ready yet, and even Japan isn't regularly broadcasting in 4K (and satellite and cable are less prevalent there than in the US, even if they provided it). I doubt CR would have much success getting studios to create 4K content specifically for them, especially given that content could only be viewed by a single digit percentage (if that much) of CR viewers.


As to automatic bitrate adjustment and buffering, as stated, I'm fine with automatic adjustment as long as it gives me an option to select a fixed resolution instead. I rarely have these issues with stuttering or pauses, and I'm not alone. (People that don't have issues rarely have reason to speak up, while those that do have excellent motivation).

It there were "no downside" to automatic resolution changes (with no option to select a fixed resolution), you wouldn't see some people complaining about that very feature in some of the device apps. Some people know they have crappy internet speeds (or have bandwidth caps), and want to set their resolution low out of the gate. Others would rather just give up and come back later if CR can't currently stream at their desired resolution.


It is all fine and dandy to say the buffer should be several minutes (just as it is easy for some to say the entire show should be buffered), but whether that can be accomplished while satisfying the demands of DRM (which publishers insist on), it another matter. Apparently even Netflix's buffer is only 2-3 minutes (and 3 minutes is still "a few" rather than "several" in my book).

Funimation managed to increase their buffer amount earlier this year, and while it seems to have reduced the number of complaints regarding buffering and pauses, it certainly didn't do away with them.

38048 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
67 / M
Online
Posted 2/6/15
Adobe just released its fourth security update for Flash since January 15th. Regardless of the wishes of the Japanese licensors, you need to start pressuring them to implement an HTML5 solution.

This most recent update fixed a "zero-day" security hole that permitted "drive-by" infections. Malware like this is often distributed via advertising sites. I'm a premium subscriber so I don't see ads, but I would never allow advertising that uses Flash or Javascript on any site I manage. Even the New Yrork Times once distributed the famous "Antivirus 2010" malware because one of its advertising providers was tricked into distributing it. How confident are you in the integrity of the advertising providers Crunchy uses?

You must be logged in to post.