First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Why do you prefer anime over cartoons? What have you learned from Anime?
9882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Konoha
Offline
Posted 11/5/14
Hello lovely people!

In my English class we are to write a research paper and I decided to write about anime vs cartoon. My point of view is:

anime is better than American cartoons.

and I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute of your time and answer a few questions. Try to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you so much for helping me!

1. Do you think anime is better than cartoons? Why?

2. Anime has a wide variety of genres. From Shounen to pure comedy. Some animes are not suited for children (Ex: Attack on Titan) but there are also cartoons that are not fit for children (Ex: South Park). How do these anime's differ from adult cartoons?

3. Every cartoon has a life changing lesson but so does anime. Could you say that anime has much more life changing lessons? Why? And what is your own personal favorite lesson that anime has taught you and why.

4. Big animation networks, such as Disney, influences girls to be pretty only on the outside. They portray girls to be a material thing for boys to have. Such as Disney princesses, who wait for their prince charming to come and save them. Instead most females in anime are shown to be strong equal individuals. Could you say that anime has a much more better influence on the younger audience? Why? (Could you pretty please give an example? :3)

5. Like we all know, there are also bad things about anime. What, would you say, are some bad things about anime?

6. Why do you think that people who label anime as a 'children's show' do so?

7. Not only are most anime's amazing in their animation but what about music? Would you say the music in an anime has a lot to do too? Which category has the better music and why?

8. Why do you think anime is growing larger and larger every year?

9. Now what would you say is what makes anime so special? What separates it from cartoons?

10. What is YOUR favorite anime? Why?

11. If someone who didn't know anime at all walked up to you and asked you, "How can I get into anime?" What would you recommend that person to do?

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Again thank you guys so much! Don't be scared to be as descriptive as possible and you can add pictures if you want! Also will it be alright for me to use ya'lls name in case I need to add them?

Thank you! and have a good night!

42447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 11/5/14

luna45 wrote:

Hello lovely people!

In my English class we are to write a research paper and I decided to write about anime vs cartoon. My point of view is:

anime is better than American cartoons.

and I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute of your time and answer a few questions. Try to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you so much for helping me!

1. Do you think anime is better than cartoons? Why?

2. Anime has a wide variety of genres. From Shounen to pure comedy. Some animes are not suited for children (Ex: Attack on Titan) but there are also cartoons that are not fit for children (Ex: South Park). How do these anime's differ from adult cartoons?

3. Every cartoon has a life changing lesson but so does anime. Could you say that anime has much more life changing lessons? Why? And what is your own personal favorite lesson that anime has taught you and why.

4. Big animation networks, such as Disney, influences girls to be pretty only on the outside. They portray girls to be a material thing for boys to have. Such as Disney princesses, who wait for their prince charming to come and save them. Instead most females in anime are shown to be strong equal individuals. Could you say that anime has a much more better influence on the younger audience? Why? (Could you pretty please give an example? :3)

5. Like we all know, there are also bad things about anime. What, would you say, are some bad things about anime?

6. Why do you think that people who label anime as a 'children's show' do so?

7. Not only are most anime's amazing in their animation but what about music? Would you say the music in an anime has a lot to do too? Which category has the better music and why?

8. Why do you think anime is growing larger and larger every year?

9. Now what would you say is what makes anime so special? What separates it from cartoons?

10. What is YOUR favorite anime? Why?

11. If someone who didn't know anime at all walked up to you and asked you, "How can I get into anime?" What would you recommend that person to do?

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Again thank you guys so much! Don't be scared to be as descriptive as possible and you can add pictures if you want! Also will it be alright for me to use ya'lls name in case I need to add them?

Thank you! and have a good night!



What made you want to write about that? Curiosity has spoken to me.
9882 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Konoha
Offline
Posted 11/6/14

qualeshia3 wrote:


luna45 wrote:

Hello lovely people!

In my English class we are to write a research paper and I decided to write about anime vs cartoon. My point of view is:

anime is better than American cartoons.

and I would really appreciate it if you guys could take a minute of your time and answer a few questions. Try to be as descriptive as possible. Thank you so much for helping me!

1. Do you think anime is better than cartoons? Why?

2. Anime has a wide variety of genres. From Shounen to pure comedy. Some animes are not suited for children (Ex: Attack on Titan) but there are also cartoons that are not fit for children (Ex: South Park). How do these anime's differ from adult cartoons?

3. Every cartoon has a life changing lesson but so does anime. Could you say that anime has much more life changing lessons? Why? And what is your own personal favorite lesson that anime has taught you and why.

4. Big animation networks, such as Disney, influences girls to be pretty only on the outside. They portray girls to be a material thing for boys to have. Such as Disney princesses, who wait for their prince charming to come and save them. Instead most females in anime are shown to be strong equal individuals. Could you say that anime has a much more better influence on the younger audience? Why? (Could you pretty please give an example? :3)

5. Like we all know, there are also bad things about anime. What, would you say, are some bad things about anime?

6. Why do you think that people who label anime as a 'children's show' do so?

7. Not only are most anime's amazing in their animation but what about music? Would you say the music in an anime has a lot to do too? Which category has the better music and why?

8. Why do you think anime is growing larger and larger every year?

9. Now what would you say is what makes anime so special? What separates it from cartoons?

10. What is YOUR favorite anime? Why?

11. If someone who didn't know anime at all walked up to you and asked you, "How can I get into anime?" What would you recommend that person to do?

~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

Again thank you guys so much! Don't be scared to be as descriptive as possible and you can add pictures if you want! Also will it be alright for me to use ya'lls name in case I need to add them?

Thank you! and have a good night!



What made you want to write about that? Curiosity has spoken to me.


Hmm well I was going to write about the history of Hatsune Miku but my teacher told me that I also had to have something negative about her. Like how it would affect humanity in the future. To be honest I couldn't exactly come up with a very strong argument about something negative. So I spent hours trying to figure out a substitute, since I had a proposal due in a few days explainning what I would be talking about in my reserach paper. So then I started to wonder around in Tumblr and saw this image



And I started to get flashbacks of past arguments I've had explaining how anime wasn't like American cartoons and it wasn't exactly just for kids. I also started to remember how anime changed my life, especially Naruto and I thought: people should really at least give it a chance. So unconsciously I started to make these differences like comparing children's cartoons with animes, like Spongebob Squarepants and Cardcaptor Sakura. South Park and Attack on Titan. Disney Princesses and Sailor moon (or how each portray women.)

And that's practically how I decided to write about this ^^;
Posted 11/6/14
Answers under spoiler:



Posted 11/6/14
1.I generally like the storylines better in anime better, but when it comes to comedy, it is definitely a toss up between cartoons and anime. There are cultural differences that make jokes obscure to me.

2When it comes to Adult Cartoons like the Boondocks and South Park, generally the cultural differences really stand out, with the only anime closest to having the same brand of humor being Panty and Stocking and Garterbelt.

3.Depends. Anime might delve into themes better and far deeper than most cartoons, but Cartoons in the US almost always have some moral due to requirement of the government or something.

4.Iunno. Anime has a lot of fanservice and harems.

5.Bad stuff, hmm? Tentacles. Odd fetish pandering. Pandering in general. Overused tropes in play.

6.Ignorance. They haven't seen more the more mature shows.

7.No comment.

8.It is becoming less stigmatized or something? Iunno.

9.Maturity and the breadth of genres it takes, plus the culture.

10. Err....Steins; Gate?

11. No idea.
17467 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Chicago,IL
Offline
Posted 11/6/14 , edited 11/6/14
Anime is cartoons? It's just more mature cartoons (sometimes).
Posted 11/6/14

MrChamploo wrote:

Anime is cartoons? It's just more mature cartoons (sometimes).


I think the term anime and cartoons are used to refer to origin if anything.
Bavalt 
22029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/6/14
1. Not necessarily, though I certainly watch a lot more anime than I do western cartoons. I generally prefer anime, but it's not "better".

2. The main difference, to me, is that anime usually has a more sequential plot. Western cartoons usually have an episodic style: you can jump in at any episode and enjoy it. Anime, by contrast, usually focuses on an overarching story, and missing an episode means missing out on a piece of the plot.

3. I don't feel like I can give an unbiased answer here. I've certainly encountered far more of these lessons in anime than western cartoons, but I've also watched more anime than I have western cartoons. As for my favorite lesson, I'd have to point to the main theme of Baccano!: Life is awesome and you should enjoy it, wherever it takes you.

4. I feel like this is a bit of a loaded question, and I honestly think the "damsel in distress" archetype is more prevalent in anime than in western cartoons. If you look at the sort of things Disney and the like are making nowadays, you'll have no trouble finding good female protagonists. Anime, in comparison, too often has a male protagonist rescuing heroines. The harem genre is practically made of this trope.

5. See 4, above. I feel like anime also goes overboard on fanservice at times. Because anime has such a prominent adult audience, the demand for more risque situations is fairly high.

6. Because they haven't had enough exposure to the medium.

7. I honestly don't pay too much attention to BGMs. I feel as though both are capable of employing music properly when its presence would be sigificant, ie: a soft song leading up to a crescendo at a big emotional reveal.

8. Because the world is gradually becoming more tolerant of "niche" hobbies. Fans don't feel as stigmatized as they did a decade ago, and can be more open about their interests, meaning more people are exposed to it and take a liking to it in turn.

9. Again, the sequential story. Western cartoons are capable of pulling off some great things, but the fact that anime usually has a real plot makes it easier for the viwer to get invested, and to be affected more strongly by good scenes.

10. Little Busters. I'm a sucker for a good tear-jerker, which Little Busters definitely is, and I have an easy time relating to the focus on friendship, as I'm similarly close to my own friends.

11. I'd ask them what kind of story they wanted to watch, and point them towards a couple titles in that genre that I liked myself. I'd tell them to read synopses of each one, and offer to sit down and watch with them once they decided which one to start with.
18006 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/6/14
And this is how you get people to do your work for you. You sir, are a genius.
xxJing 
37195 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 11/6/14

luna45 wrote:


1. Do you think anime is better than cartoons? Why?
--- On average, Yes. Because Japanese animation is far more liberal than American animation. The problem with being conservative when you write a story is that your ideas have no room to move around, they are forced to appeal to a certain audience's traditional values. Japanese animation on the other hand is not always, but often, surprising in what it offers.

2. Anime has a wide variety of genres. From Shounen to pure comedy. Some animes are not suited for children (Ex: Attack on Titan) but there are also cartoons that are not fit for children (Ex: South Park). How do these anime's differ from adult cartoons?
---Adult Cartoons, and the only exception to this rule I can think of is the HBO presentation of Spawn, are always satire. Adult Japanese animation on the other hand can be genuinely violent and disturbing.

3. Every cartoon has a life changing lesson but so does anime. Could you say that anime has much more life changing lessons? Why? And what is your own personal favorite lesson that anime has taught you and why.
---Yes. Because American animation generally just repeats the same lessons over and over again reinforcing traditional values. Japanese animation teaches many unorthodox lessons. Code Geass has probably taught me the best lesson, in that you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette. Which basically means only a fool puts himself at a disadvantage due to morals and pride. It's an important lesson because it teaches you to not be bound by the moral expectations of others.

4. Big animation networks, such as Disney, influences girls to be pretty only on the outside. They portray girls to be a material thing for boys to have. Such as Disney princesses, who wait for their prince charming to come and save them. Instead most females in anime are shown to be strong equal individuals. Could you say that anime has a much more better influence on the younger audience? Why? (Could you pretty please give an example? :3)
Disney Princesses aren't anywhere near that awful. Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, and a few others were quite proactive. In fact I would say that Japanese animation portrays women worse on average. Animes aimed at a male audience generally have female characters who are strong, but not necessarily independent, they typically dote on the male protagonist. Highschool DxD, Infinite Stratos, Sword Art Online, take your pick for an example. On the other hand animes aimed at a female audience generally have weak female characters who dote on perfect male characters and often experience abuse. Diabolic Lovers is the extreme example of this, but you can also reference Kaichou wa Maid-sama and many others. There are certain, less feminist, expectations of women in Japan that really bleed through in anime.

5. Like we all know, there are also bad things about anime. What, would you say, are some bad things about anime?
The bad things can be summed up into the fact that anime often panders to a specific demographic. The harem and reverse harem animes are what I am talking about here primarily. Stereotypical character archetypes are reused very often because they are popular among certain groups of people.

6. Why do you think that people who label anime as a 'children's show' do so?
They don't understand that animation is simply the medium and does not indicate content. There are many animes that are darker than even some of the darkest American R rated movies.

7. Not only are most anime's amazing in their animation but what about music? Would you say the music in an anime has a lot to do too? Which category has the better music and why?
Music is not genre specific. Each individual show has its own music and you really cannot categorize it as, 'shonens have the best music.' Some animes have awful soundtracks, others have wonderful soundtracks. The quality of the soundtrack itself is also highly subjective though. However, yes, music can make an anime much more enjoyable. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis has a very unique Soundtrack that fits its story and helps set the mood of the show.

8. Why do you think anime is growing larger and larger every year?
If it is, it is because more and more people are becoming exposed to it. It is probably the most liberal medium of entertainment out there .It's likely there is something for everyone.

9. Now what would you say is what makes anime so special? What separates it from cartoons?
The ability to become emotionally attached to specific characters. American animation makes it difficult for a person to feel as if they are living the life of the protagonist.

10. What is YOUR favorite anime? Why?
Cowboy Bebop. The world it portrays is very immersive.

11. If someone who didn't know anime at all walked up to you and asked you, "How can I get into anime?" What would you recommend that person to do?
Go to myanimelist.com, search for a genre that may interest them, read the premise and a short review of a show, and then watch it.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 11/6/14 , edited 11/6/14

luna45 wrote:
Big animation networks, such as Disney, influences girls to be pretty only on the outside. They portray girls to be a material thing for boys to have. Such as Disney princesses, who wait for their prince charming to come and save them. Instead most females in anime are shown to be strong equal individuals.


Lol, okay. Princess Jasmine didn't need Aladdin to save her. Princess Merida never needed a prince, nor did Princess Anna nor Queen Elsa - just to mention a few. You do know that most of the Disney classics are based on fairy tales? Whilst Snow White, for instance, is kissed by the Prince at the end, that's not entirely what happened in the fairy tale. Isn't it a norm that things are ~gloryfied~ in films?

I can't get over how dumb this statement is. Disney has SEVERAL strong heroines, not all are maidens in distress. Even the Princesses that are "saved" portray a certain value.
7367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Mississippi
Online
Posted 11/6/14 , edited 11/6/14
1- Yes. Anime generally has better storytelling and characters. I can get emotionally attached to the story, the world, and the characters. In Western animation, I never really experienced that. I'm far more attached to Naruto than Spongebob.

2- Adult cartoons are usually satires filled with jokes that you can't put in children's cartoons. On the other hand, even Shonen titles like Blue Exorcist, Death Note, or Attack on Titan are far darker than anything A Western cartoon aimed at adults could hope pull off.

3-Yes. Because Anime is much mire varied than Western animation, It has more lessons. I've been inspired by heroes like Luffy, Rin, and Naruto. Those kid cartoons just tried to reinforce what my parents taught me. Anime actually inspired me. One of my favorite lessons comes from One Piece- Live how you want.

4- Anime skirts the line. A lot of series have capable heroines and loveable and relatable female characters. Sadly, these series are incredibly outnumbered by the amount of Harem series and several Shojo series where the heroine and other female character fall into cliche roles and are usually incompetent or doting.

5- The only really bad thing about Anime as a whole is the overload of series built on fanservice.

6- They only saw kiddy shit like Pokemon and somehow in this daya nd age never saw even a glimpse Naruto, Bleach, Attack on Titan, etc.

7- Anime often have beautifl OSTs. People even buy their favorite tracks. In Anime, music has a job to do, because part of the wonder of seeing your favorite manga or light novel in Anime format is the soundtrack that adds to your favorite scenes, be it a guitar riff during a battle or a piano melody during a moment of calm.

8- It's becoming more noticable, and because previously "nerdy" things like Superhero movies are commonplace, it gets less flack.

9- The characters and the world. The level of storytelling is what truly separates it from cartoons. You can get invested in the story. You can cry when your favorite chracter dies and jump up and down when the others avenge his death. You can get hype for a battle you KNOW is gonna go down and you can laugh at the characters doing something hilarious in the middle of what is a serious situation. It's things like those that make Anime what it is.

10- Story-wise, it's One Piece. Teoi's hirrble pacing can't ruin the lovable characters and the amazing world. Adaption-wise, it's Blue Exorcist. They did a damn good job with the animation, OST, and still managed to pull off a good story after diverging from the manga's storyline.

11- I would direct him to Crunchyroll and have him look in the Shonen genre.
Le_Dom 
16897 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Montreal
Offline
Posted 11/6/14
1. It must be stressed that Anime being better than cartoons cannot be considered a fact, as it is a subjective concept. Granted, it could be argued that anime is more versatile when it comes to stories.

2. This is just a nitpick but Attack on Titan is a shonen so, by definition, it is targetted towards young boys. As said before, most adult cartoons rely on profanity which in itself isn't very adult. They are also mostly comedies, such as South Park, Family Guy and etc. I think the most mature american animated show I've seen was the 90s Batman animated series; critics even believed that it was a waste for the show to be aired only on saturday mornings. However, anime have the whole Seinen genre which are targetted towards adults for the right reasons: because the content would be disturbing for children or discusses topics they just wouldn't understand.

3. I'd say that anime does teach many different lessons. Naturally, shonen have all that ''importance of working together, and to stay determined'' aesops but you can also find more specific morals. For instance, Death Note shows that no one should have the authority to decide who deserves death and that such a person would be a megalomaniac by default; in other words, a message against capital punishment. Monster has a more idealistc message: everyone can find redemption if they truly want it and all human is important.

4. Sadly, the japanese society as a whole can be considered sexist by western standards. For more info, you may go there http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ValuesDissonance/Anime
Fanservice that uses the woman's body as eye candy is becoming so common that it's becoming hard to find anime that doesn't have any in any shape or form. Of course, strong female characters are far from non-existant, such as Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop, Kurisu from Steins;Gate, Akane from Psycho Pass. Though you may have to look for a while before finding them.

5. Many studios have to make shows that pander to the lowest common denominator or, in other words, the stereotypical otaku. The reason being that anime is a nice market and to stay afloat, they have to produce things that can appeal to a certain dedicated group of people, which is where ecchiand moe comes in. As I've noticed in the anime Shirobako (which is actually pretty good, I recommand) studios can also be disorganized and a selfish director can potentially put everyone in deep water. While many say that anime is mature, it isn't as mature as we want it to be, not just because of the excessive use of fanservice, but because most protagonists are either high schoolers, or of High School age, giving the idea that anime is mostly for teenagers.

6. The stigma that animation is only for children. While it can be argued that this is becoming less of a thing in the west thanks to Pixar (who release family movies that can entertain both kids and their parents), people who are unfamiliar with anime can't imagine to see adult stories told via animation. Moreover, Hentai also brings them to the conclusion that if an animated show isn't for kids, it's pornography.

7. Music is also a subjective topic. Certain animes would use J-Pop, while other would go with full soundtrack with songs that fit with the ambiance.

8. The internet mostly. The rise of more legal streaming websites such as Crunchyroll also helps.

9. Their way of telling a story, and the use of different character archetypes or topics.

10. Baccano! Mostly for the way it's structured; it's non-linear which means that while it may appear confusing at first, all the pieces are put together in the end. It has a nice jazzy soundtrack and the characters are very endearing. It doesn't conform to any genre in particular which also helps making it feel more unique.

11. Netflix is a very popular website/app, so I'd tell them to go the anime section, read the summaries and see which ones interest them the most. I would also strongly recommand animes that have been well received in the west such as Cowboy Bebop or Death Note; find a good gateway.

95164 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/6/14

anime is better than American cartoons.


I don't think this is necessarily true. There are some fantastic American Cartoon, well animated, well written with excellent character development.

American cartoons however are at the mercy of marketing demographics.

Take for example Young Justice. Excellent series, well written complex plot, fantastic characters, well animated.

Cancelled not because it wasn't popular, but because it was popular with the wrong demographic. Apparently more teenage girls were watching it than teenage boys. Which meant the advertising spaces being sold, which were marketed at teenage boys, were going to waste.
The show exists to fill in the gap between advertising segments. It doesn't matter to the network if it's good or not, the point is to bring the right audience to see the advertising. If the show happens to be good that's a plus, but it's not a requierment. The Young Justice time slot was where they want to advertise at teen-boys. If the show is drawing teen-girls instead it's a failure, no matter how good a show it was.


a lot of anime in comparison are put together to sell the manga and products directly connected to it. Your target audience is the people who might be interested in the show itself, as well as all the related merchandize. The marketing goals is to promote the manga and sell manga related merchandize and DVD sales down the road. The goals of the program come from the production commite not the marketing department.

qwueri 
16470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 11/6/14
1. I think comparing the two as different mediums is fruitless. They each exist in different markets and aim at different audiences. Aside from the large children's markets, there's a ton of anime aimed at otaku and several long running American cartoons aimed at young adults. Both industries churn out dreck, although cartoons tend to come out on a slower schedule. You will generally get a bigger variety and volume of anime in a given season, so it's easier to find something you like.

2. Cartoons aimed at adults are almost exclusively comedies. You do get the occasional kids show with adult appeal, like Avatar, but you see the same thing in anime with shounen and shoujo. Anime aimed at adults venture into other genres, including horror, slice-of-life, romance, and drama.

3. I'm not quite sure I'd ever label a cartoon or anime as life changing. Hitting emotional note, sure. But nothing I'd equate to an epiphany.

4. Not entirely sure what you're looking for with this question. As far as body types go, you rarely see any more variation in anime than you do in cartoons. Shoujo is almost entirely devoted to stories of girls falling for boys. And titles like Diabolik Lovers or Wolf Girl and Black Prince which, at the very least, have elements of relationships I don't think are healthy for young girls to emulate.

5. Fetish vehicles, poor characterization, poorly designed plots, poorly implemented tie-ins. There's a number of things you can find wrong with individual shows. Same as could be said about television series or movies.

6. Because they equate animation with children's shows. Most animation the average person comes into contact with is aimed at children, so they equate all animation as such. And in most cases, they're probably right. A huge chunk of anime is aimed at either young children, middle-school age children, or high schoolers. Relatively few shows are aimed at working aged adults.

7. Again, because of the larger nature of the anime industry, it has a wider variety of sound tracks. But I don't think that automatically makes them better or worse than cartoons. There's a number of memorable tracks from the Superman or Batman animated series, or example, that are easily on par or better than some anime tracks. Likewise, Disney churns out memorable music in their movies on a consistent basis. But I'd have a hard time comparing that to, for example, the sound track from Panty and Stocking. Completely different music genres.

8. Anime has grown because the industry around Japanese otaku has grown. They're the big cash-cow for the anime industry. Internationally it's certainly picked up steam, but I don't know how much of that makes it's way back to the Japanese studios, or even how interested the studios are in attracting western audiences. But it does seem to be having a positive effect for streaming services like CR, Funi, and Hulu.

9. The anime industry usually expects to run shows in a 1-2 cour basis. That tends to make the stories more compact and built for a proper conclusion. Most cartoons, on the other hand, are episodic and may or may not carry over into another season. Throw in the wider selection of genres, and anime does tend to have broader stories told over a season.

10. Spice and Wolf. Gorgeous sound track, memorable characters, and believable relationships.

11. Try to sample fan recommendations from different genres, see what really speaks to you. If there's a particular genre that you know you already like, see if that genre of anime also strikes a chord.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.