First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
Raise McDonald's Minimun Wage?
55911 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
Relevant to the franchise aspect of McDonalds:

http://money.howstuffworks.com/franchising1.htm

The local franchise owner's profits should dictate the wages given based on individual performance. Having a one size fits all minimum wage as high as $15 makes no business sense for a franchise based company like McDonalds. Some restaurants perform better than others and employee performance will vary as well.
29381 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/7/14
As far as I'm aware, McDonalds is a massively profitable business, so it should have the means to pay its employees decently. It might be "entry level" but it is still work, and perhaps it is the only work available to some people.

As for the specific amount that people should make, it would depend on the cost of living. People should be able to afford to house, clothe, and feed (with healthy food) themselves and anyone that depends on them. Perhaps that means a variable minimum wage that factors in things like number of children or something. If a person is working, they should be able to survive.

Edit: The $15.00/hour thing is funny to me. I use to make 15-16 Canadian/ hour to show up to work, read book/do puzzles and occasionally count money/poker chips. I only got $14/hour if they only needed me to sit in the back and play video games and occasionally count poker chips. Of course, different currency, different country, different situation. Just thought it was interesting.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/7/14

tf2pyros wrote:

You're talking 15.00/hr weekly for a prime-entry job. As far as I know, a 15.00/hr job requires skills and possibly a degree. Entirely, and generally, working at McDonald's is really only supposed to pay for the gas for your car and help you eat throughout college. That's why fast food, (not only McDonald's), is considered an entry job.


I'm talking about an equitable share of the profits generated by these peoples' labor. The fact that the labor is unskilled doesn't matter. It's all about productivity and profits generated. Last I checked McDonalds is a multi-billion dollar international franchise. In fact, the company posts income exceeding one billion dollars each quarter, and is still doing so in a downturn. That's productive enough to merit giving laborers a comfortable wage, and it's possible to pay that wage while still covering the company's overhead.
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/7/14

BlueOni wrote:


tf2pyros wrote:

You're talking 15.00/hr weekly for a prime-entry job. As far as I know, a 15.00/hr job requires skills and possibly a degree. Entirely, and generally, working at McDonald's is really only supposed to pay for the gas for your car and help you eat throughout college. That's why fast food, (not only McDonald's), is considered an entry job.


I'm talking about an equitable share of the profits generated by these peoples' labor. The fact that the labor is unskilled doesn't matter. It's all about productivity and profits generated. Last I checked McDonalds is a multi-billion dollar international franchise. In fact, the company posts income exceeding one billion dollars each quarter, and is still doing so in a downturn. That's productive enough to merit giving laborers a comfortable wage, and it's possible to pay that wage while still covering the company's overhead.


I understand your point. Unfortunately, that's not how franchises operate. Wal-Mart has enough money, yes McDonalds has enough money, hell, even Disney has enough money too. But, that's not how it works.

It's an entry level job for a reason. It's usually so entry-like, that just about anyone can get inside a McDonald's. You'd be comparing the service of a McDonald's worker, who's now getting 15.00/hr pay, to a person who worked their hardest for a degree who had to work his/her way up in their field to even achieve the 15.00/hr job.

Also, if McDonalds suddenly started giving every worker 15.00/hr at start, everyone and their mothers would hightail it to work for this place. That would syphon blood from the other franchises. It just doesn't work this way to pay 15.00/hr.
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/7/14

tf2pyros wrote:

I understand your point. Unfortunately, that's not how franchises operate. Wal-Mart has enough money, yes McDonalds has enough money, hell, even Disney has enough money too. But, that's not how it works.

It's an entry level job for a reason. It's usually so entry-like, that just about anyone can get inside a McDonald's. You'd be comparing the service of a McDonald's worker, who's now getting 15.00/hr pay, to a person who worked their hardest for a degree who had to work his/her way up in their field to even achieve the 15.00/hr job.

Also, if McDonalds suddenly started giving every worker 15.00/hr at start, everyone and their mothers would hightail it to work for this place. That would syphon blood from the other franchises. It just doesn't work this way to pay 15.00/hr.


http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/30/business/nlrb-holds-mcdonalds-not-just-franchisees-liable-for-worker-treatment.html?_r=0

If I'm reading this right McDonalds seems to be on the way to being considered equivalent to a joint employer, and so would be considered complicit in any labor or wage violations committed by its partners. If that's not the way things work now, the way things work seems to be changing.

At present, however, given that McDonalds the franchise (as opposed to its licensed partners) doesn't even set wages to begin with the whole issue takes on a new light. A rallying cry for the main company to set wage and benefit standards (though perhaps not a specific wage) could be in order. Regional performance bonuses, stock options, things like that.
17532 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
If they make minimum wage $15 an hour at McDonald's then say goodbye to college education. Why be in school to get a degree and make $15+ and hour when I can just go to McDonald's? My best friend works as an EMT at the hospital and makes just over $18...so in perspective his job that helps to save lives is only $3 an hour better?
22162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / Bottom of Montere...
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
In North Dakota a $15 minimum wage might already makes sense; Walmart and McDonalds is starting employees at $14 an hour.
But then again North Dakota is in an oil boom so labor is scarce.
So if you want a career in food service with high pay that is the place to go!

Seriously, I think minimum wage should be based on living wage and indexed on the area you live in. For example an McDonalds employee working in San Francisco should be paid higher then McDonalds worker in Fresno as it costs less to live in Fresno.
The minimum wage should also be automatically indexed, maybe a set percentage of a median of total income in an area. As a set index the minimum wage would automatically rise (or fall if we go into deflation) and then we can keep the politicians from using this issue as a political football.
And I think all workers starting out should get at least the minimum wage even those who work for tips.

1651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Mor Dhona
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
Raising the minimum wage, for anything and everything, will just raise the cost of commodities in turn... while most people can agree that you should be able to survive working full-time, that's all you'll really be doing; you have to get the cheapest everything, and no luxuries like smartphones or cable TV. Something does need to be done about it, but boosting the minimum wage won't change anything in the long run...
2346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
People always complain that they can't support their family working at McDonalds.

McDonalds isn't a career people.

Unless of course you are Satan.



I get worried when I hear people talking about how they have put 7 years in at McDonalds and they have only gotten little raises.
33141 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Las Vegas
Offline
Posted 11/7/14
McDonalds is an entry level job that should be used to hire High School aged workers. It shouldn't be a job for adults or older people with children to make a living. I understand that desperate times call for desperate measures but if you have to take up one of these positions, you should be actively looking for something better. It is not fair, in my opinion, that someone working as a cashier at McDonalds should make more than say someone who works their back-end off in a more demanding field that required a degree to achieve. Im a Customer Service Supervisor for a company on the Las Vegas Strip, the crap I deal with everyday and the demand that the position requires only pays 12-13 an hour and I started at 9 It has taken me 5 years to get that far and to move up to something that pays 15 or more an hour, I need at least a bachelors degree to even consider the idea.

I remember when this movement first popped up and people are saying that they "deserve" 15$ an hour, I was so agitated, no one deserves anything. You get back what you give. The level of entitlement that is plaguing us now is unreal. If you want better pay, you need to apply yourself and move to a position that you can use long term. Statistically here in Las Vegas, the overall unemployment rates have plummeted but at the same time Teen unemployment rates have skyrocketed and are around 16-17% last I checked, and continuing to rise. Most of this is due to the people who are capable of working better positions or have high levels of experience settling for less. Now they are demanding more? It makes me sick.

What really got to me was an interview with a lady (I will try to find the article again and post it for validation) who said she dropped out of high school during her sophomore year because she was "tired of school." She fed off her family for a while and eventually decided to get a job. Due to the lack of education, the only job she managed to get was McDonalds. She claims that she was caught in an unfortunate position and needs more money to survive. Why should this attitude make more money than someone who completed high school and is working toward a college education?

Obviously most of this is my opinion and while I mean no offense, I stand by my words. I also realize not everyone is of the mindset that I stated. I have seen great people strive for less and less when they are capable of so much more and people who do nothing demand reward. It is wrong and morally backwards.
16438 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 11/7/14

raiden109 wrote:

McDonalds is an entry level job that should be used to hire High School aged workers. It shouldn't be a job for adults or older people with children to make a living. I understand that desperate times call for desperate measures but if you have to take up one of these positions, you should be actively looking for something better. It is not fair, in my opinion, that someone working as a cashier at McDonalds should make more than say someone who works their back-end off in a more demanding field that required a degree to achieve. Im a Customer Service Supervisor for a company on the Las Vegas Strip, the crap I deal with everyday and the demand that the position requires only pays 12-13 an hour and I started at 9 It has taken me 5 years to get that far and to move up to something that pays 15 or more an hour, I need at least a bachelors degree to even consider the idea.

I remember when this movement first popped up and people are saying that they "deserve" 15$ an hour, I was so agitated, no one deserves anything. You get back what you give. The level of entitlement that is plaguing us now is unreal. If you want better pay, you need to apply yourself and move to a position that you can use long term. Statistically here in Las Vegas, the overall unemployment rates have plummeted but at the same time Teen unemployment rates have skyrocketed and are around 16-17% last I checked, and continuing to rise. Most of this is due to the people who are capable of working better positions or have high levels of experience settling for less. Now they are demanding more? It makes me sick.

What really got to me was an interview with a lady (I will try to find the article again and post it for validation) who said she dropped out of high school during her sophomore year because she was "tired of school." She fed off her family for a while and eventually decided to get a job. Due to the lack of education, the only job she managed to get was McDonalds. She claims that she was caught in an unfortunate position and needs more money to survive. Why should this attitude make more money than someone who completed high school and is working toward a college education?

Obviously most of this is my opinion and while I mean no offense, I stand by my words. I also realize not everyone is of the mindset that I stated. I have seen great people strive for less and less when they are capable of so much more and people who do nothing demand reward. It is wrong and morally backwards.


Exactly. I completely agree.
33924 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/8/14
Only if they lower the price of the Big Mac.
29 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/7/14
Honestly, it's not hard to work at fast-food places. I worked for 3 years straight after higher school. I've had about 12+ jobs and my first job was burger king. It took me 3 years of working and gaining experience to get to $15. If McDonald's workers are making that kind of money, best believe i better be getting $20+ because that's BS.

Also, If a person commits their time and effort in that company then they should be getting raises every 6+ months or so and that's the problem, they dont want to give it to you! If you start at 8.50 + .50 (every 6 months), you should be able to hit comfortable living in due time. It might be a long time but like the anime we watch, effort is everything.

I honestly recommend people who are getting jobs at brand name places such as McDonalds, Target, Walmart, to look into Factory jobs, or Temp agencies. It doesn;t hurt to give it a shot. I wouldn't make the money I make today without the experience from factory jobs such as assembling, machine operating/adjusting, desk jobs, and more. (BUT MOSTLY ASSEMBLY)
46427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/7/14

BlueOni wrote:


tf2pyros wrote:

You're talking 15.00/hr weekly for a prime-entry job. As far as I know, a 15.00/hr job requires skills and possibly a degree. Entirely, and generally, working at McDonald's is really only supposed to pay for the gas for your car and help you eat throughout college. That's why fast food, (not only McDonald's), is considered an entry job.


I'm talking about an equitable share of the profits generated by these peoples' labor. The fact that the labor is unskilled doesn't matter. It's all about productivity and profits generated. Last I checked McDonalds is a multi-billion dollar international franchise. In fact, the company posts income exceeding one billion dollars each quarter, and is still doing so in a downturn. That's productive enough to merit giving laborers a comfortable wage, and it's possible to pay that wage while still covering the company's overhead.


I suppose MCD should just double the wages for everyone ?
After all if the ones all the way at the bottom gets double for flipping burgers the people that actually make decent money at MCD cause they do decent work deserve double wages as well.
Lets not forget all the suppliers pay them all double too while we are at it.
Yeah that sounds like reasonable business sense.

Skill does matter i understand that people would like it to be different but its not You get paid what you are worth.
My father had a small steel construction company some 30 years back with only a few employees he made decent money and payed his employee decent wages.Down the road he made some very smart choices and suddenly he made tons of money needed way more employees and several more company's that did not mean he suddenly would pay his employees way more tho after all they still did the same thing they did all the years before. However some of the employees were skilled enough to take on other roles in the business therefore getting way more money since there skills would be more important.

In the end if MCD employees would get more money it would translate to all of us having to pay more for the burger


26090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Cocytus
Offline
Posted 11/7/14 , edited 11/9/14


^
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.