First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Shows that sucked because you expected the wrong thing out of them
4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14
I've actually seen a lot of shows that I felt didn't live up to expectations because I started watching them thinking they would be one way, when actually they were another. I still have yet to finish TTGL and LH as well for this reason. I've seen it far too many times with SAO as well, and it seems like someone felt that way with Seitokai Yakuindomo as well. I'm sure TTGL and LH are both great shows if you know what to expect from them, but I can't seem to find it.
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/12/14
I do not remember the last time I hyped up anime.

4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14

AnimeKami wrote:

I do not remember the last time I hyped up anime.



I don't mean just hype, I've seen people say they disliked SAO because they wanted a good romance. That's not something to expect out of SAO
104095 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 11/12/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I do not remember the last time I hyped up anime.



I don't mean just hype, I've seen people say they disliked SAO because they wanted a good romance. That's not something to expect out of SAO


Nah... that is a common mistake to set the bar high.

If I rephrase my last quote. I have not set my bar high in a good long while.
1931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14
Fate Stay Night Deen adaptation. Why? I saw Fate Zero first
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I do not remember the last time I hyped up anime.



I don't mean just hype, I've seen people say they disliked SAO because they wanted a good romance. That's not something to expect out of SAO

weird... I believe the common complaint about SAO is that they went into SAO expecting an epic tale of survival and action only to get Gary Stu saves a harem member of the week(yes people Aincrad also sucked!), still frames with action lines for "action", and sappy romance.
14990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/12/14
I expected Akame ga kill to have a plot since it was so massively hyped up by manga readers.
4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

MartianMage wrote:


metalshiflet96 wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I do not remember the last time I hyped up anime.



I don't mean just hype, I've seen people say they disliked SAO because they wanted a good romance. That's not something to expect out of SAO

weird... I believe the common complaint about SAO is that they went into SAO expecting an epic tale of survival and action only to get Gary Stu saves a harem member of the week(yes people Aincrad also sucked!), still frames with action lines for "action", and sappy romance.


Gary Stu is a self insert with little to no flaws. Kirito has plenty of flaws, he's just really strong and his strength draws people. Other than that, I'd agree with you, I think the anime should have done the same thing as the LN
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:

MartianMage wrote:

metalshiflet96 wrote:
I don't mean just hype, I've seen people say they disliked SAO because they wanted a good romance. That's not something to expect out of SAO

weird... I believe the common complaint about SAO is that they went into SAO expecting an epic tale of survival and action only to get Gary Stu saves a harem member of the week(yes people Aincrad also sucked!), still frames with action lines for "action", and sappy romance.


Gary Stu is a self insert with little to no flaws. Kirito has plenty of flaws, he's just really strong and his strength draws people. Other than that, I'd agree with you, I think the anime should have done the same thing as the LN

I don't think you're gonna convince anyone when you say that Kirito is not a self insert character.
4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

MartianMage wrote:

metalshiflet96 wrote:

MartianMage wrote:
weird... I believe the common complaint about SAO is that they went into SAO expecting an epic tale of survival and action only to get Gary Stu saves a harem member of the week(yes people Aincrad also sucked!), still frames with action lines for "action", and sappy romance.

Gary Stu is a self insert with little to no flaws. Kirito has plenty of flaws, he's just really strong and his strength draws people. Other than that, I'd agree with you, I think the anime should have done the same thing as the LN

I don't think you're gonna convince anyone when you say that Kirito is not a self insert character.


Never claimed he wasn't self insert, I just said he wasn't Gary Stu because he has a lot of flaws (laziness, not always completely trustworthy, he can be a dick, doesn't just say no to his harem, obsessive, conceited to a degree). There is also the fact that Gary Stu does not necessarily have to be a self-insert (usually is). Go to another thread if you're going to complain about SAO though, there are plenty of them and thats' not the point of this thread.
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:

MartianMage wrote:

metalshiflet96 wrote:
Gary Stu is a self insert with little to no flaws. Kirito has plenty of flaws, he's just really strong and his strength draws people. Other than that, I'd agree with you, I think the anime should have done the same thing as the LN

I don't think you're gonna convince anyone when you say that Kirito is not a self insert character.


Never claimed he wasn't self insert, I just said he wasn't Gary Stu because he has a lot of flaws (laziness, not always completely trustworthy, he can be a dick, doesn't just say no to his harem, obsessive, conceited to a degree)

You know... Gary Stu has pretty much evolved from it's original too perfect definition into self inserts.
4571 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

MartianMage wrote:

metalshiflet96 wrote:

MartianMage wrote:
I don't think you're gonna convince anyone when you say that Kirito is not a self insert character.


Never claimed he wasn't self insert, I just said he wasn't Gary Stu because he has a lot of flaws (laziness, not always completely trustworthy, he can be a dick, doesn't just say no to his harem, obsessive, conceited to a degree)

You know... Gary Stu has pretty much evolved from it's original too perfect definition into self inserts.

That definition isn't consistent with the origin. Kirito really isn't a self-insert (read the LN) and this is off-topic. I will no longer reply to your posts
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:
That definition isn't consistent with the origin. Kirito really isn't a self-insert (read the LN) and this is off-topic. I will no longer reply to your posts

As I've said the usage of Gary Stu has already pretty much evolved so of course it isn't wholly consistent with the original. And yes Kirito is a self-insert even with all the bits that the anime decided to skip his circumstances are pretty much the self-insert wet dream of MMO players out there.

edit: you're claiming this is off-topic but I'm merely replying to a point that you, yourself, have raised and decided to argue with.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 11/12/14 , edited 11/12/14

PLEASE stop creating "quote pyramids":

- Site & Forum Rules
- http://www.crunchyroll.com/library/Site_Rules

9. Type legibly. Avoid posting multiple images, double posting or creating quote pyramids.

They are a total pain to read through. Quote once or twice; not the entire conversation.

Thanks.

/On Topic: Rozen Madien. Expected maids, got talking dolls and a wussy MC.
Posted 11/12/14
SAO. Thought it was going to be more game oriented and detailed, but the adaptation must've failed miserably at it. A lot of information must have been left out or something, because I felt they didn't explain enough of the game, then they ended it halfway to make way for another game (ALO) which wasn't explained in great detail. All in all, I felt Log Horizon did a better job of explaining its game versus SAO.

As to the whole Gary Stu thing...let me say one thing. Many video games in general are a power fantasy. A male power fantasy, or has elements. SAO simply preys on this concept of male fantasy, like many shonens (Bleach anyone?) before it, and runs with it, presenting an ideal hero in an ideal situation. He is the only one who can dual wield swords, he is the best player in SAO, he has the prettiest waifu in SAO, his cousin and his waifu's best friend are head over heels for him, etc. This doesn't necessarily make it bad, but perhaps a bit obnoxious to the seasoned viewer. Kirito is the guy who can solo top tier players in an FPS with a freaking knife, for crying out loud. You know how cool it is for a melee warrior to take on hundreds of armed men and win? Now tell me you haven't see that trope before. It exists because it is cool. And sometimes for wish fulfillment purposes as well.

You cannot deny that SAO has elements of power fantasy in it, but so do a lot of medias. It's like the videogames I play that present artificial difficulty and reward you as such.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.