First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Legend of the Galactic Heroes, anyone?
18420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / United States
Offline
Posted 11/13/14
So, I recently took a three month long trek to finish Legend of the Galactic Heroes. This was a goal of mine for a long time, ever since I saw it in the top 10 on MAL a few years back when I joined. The show seems to have a small, but dedicated following. Any fans here? What do you guys think about LoGH? The new adaptation?
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 11/13/14
I saw it. It was definitely entertaining and brought up some good philosophical points. But there were other times when it just seemed ridiculously stupid to me.

I loved Oberstein and Kircheis.

I was neutral toward Reinhardt, Yang, and a crap load of other people.

I hated Reuenthal and Merkatz.

I think what annoyed me most about the series was how it placed pride and ideals so high over practical solutions and compromise.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/13/14
It's a classic.

I hope the new adaptation doesn't butcher it too badly.
Posted 11/13/14 , edited 5/16/15
The only anime that`s almost close to Perfection.
When it gets a new adaptation, it needs more love and attention.
5346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/15
Its one of the best Anime's out there. Its a wonder why it has not officially entered the english market. I hope that Crunchyrol aires it at some point, or at least the remake. Speaking of the remake is there any news its progress?
Posted 1/27/15
Man, Where do I start in this franchise? DO I begin with the OVas, which movie to start out with, what?
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 1/27/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Man, Where do I start in this franchise? DO I begin with the OVas, which movie to start out with, what?


http://myanimelist.net/anime/3014/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu:_Waga_Yuku_wa_Hoshi_no_Taikai/

That movie, then the main series.

Everything else is an optional prequel, meaning that it's never referenced in the main series. I think it's all pretty much just Reinhardt and Kircheis during their climb up the imperial ladder.
5346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/2/15

xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Man, Where do I start in this franchise? DO I begin with the OVas, which movie to start out with, what?


http://myanimelist.net/anime/3014/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu:_Waga_Yuku_wa_Hoshi_no_Taikai/

That movie, then the main series.

Everything else is an optional prequel, meaning that it's never referenced in the main series. I think it's all pretty much just Reinhardt and Kircheis during their climb up the imperial ladder.


There is also an OVA series about Yang Wen-li's background and early career.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 2/2/15
I watched.... I donno, about half or two thirds of it, quite a few years back... I stopped watching it for some reason and then, forgot where I had stopped and couldn't work up the gumption to figure it out. >.>

There's so much going on in this anime I feel like I'd need to watch it twice to get it all.

And that's a lot of eps


xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Man, Where do I start in this franchise? DO I begin with the OVas, which movie to start out with, what?


http://myanimelist.net/anime/3014/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu:_Waga_Yuku_wa_Hoshi_no_Taikai/

That movie, then the main series.

Everything else is an optional prequel, meaning that it's never referenced in the main series. I think it's all pretty much just Reinhardt and Kircheis during their climb up the imperial ladder.




I don't remember starting with a movie. Maybe that was part of the problem. Hmm...
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/2/15

evilotakuneko wrote:

I watched.... I donno, about half or two thirds of it, quite a few years back... I stopped watching it for some reason and then, forgot where I had stopped and couldn't work up the gumption to figure it out. >.>

There's so much going on in this anime I feel like I'd need to watch it twice to get it all.

And that's a lot of eps


xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Man, Where do I start in this franchise? DO I begin with the OVas, which movie to start out with, what?


http://myanimelist.net/anime/3014/Ginga_Eiyuu_Densetsu:_Waga_Yuku_wa_Hoshi_no_Taikai/

That movie, then the main series.

Everything else is an optional prequel, meaning that it's never referenced in the main series. I think it's all pretty much just Reinhardt and Kircheis during their climb up the imperial ladder.




I don't remember starting with a movie. Maybe that was part of the problem. Hmm...


It's not really that big of a deal but that movie does take place right before the first episode of the main series.
Posted 3/30/15
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is far Best Space Opera Anime of all time and Best Sci-fi Anime of all time.

Incredibly epic scale, spanning a significant portion of the entire galaxy and a death count in the millions.
Extremely well-written main characters with tons of depth and fantastic development.
Intriguing story both on the small and large scales respectively.
There is no good or evil in this show; the two warring sides are given equal attention and depth, and it's up to every individual viewer to decide which ideals are the more righteous ones. The lack of a single protagonist also makes the show a lot less predictable.
Not much plot armor, expect the unexpected.
Its peaks are some of the highest ever; when LotGH is at its best it's truly magnificent.

The only flaws in this anime is the Narrator spoiling plot points and future events (especially in previews and i skipped them.

So who`s the best Hero of the Universe? Yang or Reinhard?
Answer is
Posted 3/30/15
I've been wanting to watch this anime because it seems my cup of tea (art and story wise) but 110 episodes is too much for my life right now. I have dropped every anime with more than 30 episodes not because I didn't like them but because of time, then when I try to get back I just feel disconnected and lost considering that I have the attention span of a fish *sighs*
1309 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 3/30/15 , edited 5/16/15
Longest anime I've ever seen and perhaps the best.

Like, there's no way you can watch a show with a character as awesome as Yang Wen-li and not love it to pieces.
xxJing 
37183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 3/30/15

Zeta-Nu wrote:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is far Best Space Opera Anime of all time and Best Sci-fi Anime of all time.

Incredibly epic scale, spanning a significant portion of the entire galaxy and a death count in the millions.
Extremely well-written main characters with tons of depth and fantastic development.
Intriguing story both on the small and large scales respectively.
There is no good or evil in this show; the two warring sides are given equal attention and depth, and it's up to every individual viewer to decide which ideals are the more righteous ones. The lack of a single protagonist also makes the show a lot less predictable.
Not much plot armor, expect the unexpected.
Its peaks are some of the highest ever; when LotGH is at its best it's truly magnificent.

The only flaws in this anime is the Narrator spoiling plot points and future events (especially in previews and i skipped them.

So who`s the best Hero of the Universe? Yang or Reinhard?
Answer is


The only true hero was Reinhardt.

Yang was a great strategist, greater than Reinhardt, but what he was doing was supporting a corrupt regime in order to protect the ideal of democracy. All he was, was a weapon to counter Reinhardt's campaign. If Reinhardt never instigated a campaign, the government wouldn't have given Yang any power, and being the good loyal citizen that he is, he probably would have just taken it.

Reinhardt on the other hand was sick of a corrupt dynasty filled with corrupt aristocrats doing whatever they wanted. So what he did was overthrow them, unified the galaxy, and gave everyone prosperity. The only thing is that he did it under the guise of a dictator. He then left it to the next generation, lead by the most capable individuals he could muster, to decide how the future would unfold.

Essentially Yang fought to protect an unrealized ideal, while Reinhardt fought to bring about a practical solution.

70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 3/30/15 , edited 3/30/15

xxJing wrote:

The only true hero was Reinhardt.

Yang was a great strategist, greater than Reinhardt, but what he was doing was supporting a corrupt regime in order to protect the ideal of democracy. All he was, was a weapon to counter Reinhardt's campaign. If Reinhardt never instigated a campaign, the government wouldn't have given Yang any power, and being the good loyal citizen that he is, he probably would have just taken it.

Reinhardt on the other hand was sick of a corrupt dynasty filled with corrupt aristocrats doing whatever they wanted. So what he did was overthrow them, unified the galaxy, and gave everyone prosperity. The only thing is that he did it under the guise of a dictator. He then left it to the next generation, lead by the most capable individuals he could muster, to decide how the future would unfold.

Essentially Yang fought to protect an unrealized ideal, while Reinhardt fought to bring about a practical solution.

But I'd consider Yang more of a hero since Reinhardt's angle would've been completely impossible outside a fiction, and if it worked entirely untenable after his death (considering he basically pulled an Alexander the Great). Not to mention putting that much power in one man's hands is lunacy, at points I thought it felt like Yang thought Reinhardt was doing a great thing for humanity but it was important that the whole galaxy not be under his thumb or it would end very badly.

Just like we have the three branches of government, Yang made sure some separation of powers was kept.

In the end Yang aimed for a stable world instead of a perfect one, which is really all we'll ever get in the universe. While the story had to save Reinhardt's legacy from a catastrophic dissolution by just saying it didn't happen because reasons.

Reinhardt got the fairytale ending, Yang got reality. And Yang's system is the one less susceptible to utter collapse.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.