We all have different tastes when it comes to the shows we watch, but there are indeed some shows that catch our common interests. Hence why rating system exist to see just how much people like a particular series. What would your scale look like? Also, give some examples of anime you like or despise to give an idea of where each rating stands.
I go by a personal 1 to 10 rating. I judge anime by their voice work, animation, sound effects, characterization, plot and enjoyability. On top of that, however, is my overall recommendation. There are some series that deserve a 1 in animation, but still receive a 7 overall due to enjoyability (Shin-chan, anyone?) With that in mind, here's how my rating system works.
Note: no actual spoilers, just put it in there to condense the thread.
1 - Garbage. A disgrace. An eyesore to the medium of Anime. Only completionists would care about watching this. (Ikki Tousen)
2 - Awful. A little more creativity or effort compared to 1, but not enough to redeem it. Would watch just for the sake of laughing at how bad it is. (School Days)
3. Bad. Some effort here and there, but lacks overall polish. (Street Fighter II V, Mahou Sensei Negima)
4. Poor. Has some good ideas or decent animation, but falls flat on its face. A little more TLC would've made this more worthwhile. (Maoyuu Mao Yuusha, Great Teacher Onizuka)
5. Average. Not great. Not terrible. A ho hum title that isn't for everybody. Easy sell for niche fans; hard sell for anyone else. (Tenjou Tenge, High School of the Dead)
6. Decent. Does more things right than wrong. Worth streaming/renting at the very least. (Inuyasha, Speed Grapher)
7. Good. Tends to hit all the right marks. Falls short on some areas, but still enjoyable overall. May be worth a permanent purchase. (Naruto, Dragonball Z, Sword Art Online)
8. Excellent. Usually a very exciting or engrossing series. Does great in a particular area - story, animation, etc. - enough to carry on its few flaws. (Log Horizon, One Piece, Attack on Titan)
9. Outstanding. High marks in almost every category. Most importantly, it achieves what it strives for, and then some. Would have to nitpick to find anything wrong with this series. (Trigun, Code Geass, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
10. Classic. These anime have made a mark in the history of the medium, and should be essential for any anime fan to watch at LEAST once. Note this does NOT mean an anime is perfect; no such thing will ever exist. Think of it as a "must see" list. (Almost anything by Studio Ghibli, Akira, Mobile Suit Gundam, Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood)
Here's my rating system (the poll portion in the example below).. and my thoughts on the usefulness of rating systems is here: /forumtopic-807129/5-star-ratings?pg=1#46203763, so I'm not going to repeat all of that in this thread...
I incorporated that in a group format where I created over 700 pages called Rotten Sushi either searchable alphabetically, or by using extended tags, polls, first episode links and recommendations. A sample of what those pages look like:
Click the picture to go to the show page
I found out later that it was kind of similar to the three-level concept presented by Siskel and Ebert (Buy, Rent, Skip) on their "At The Movies" show...
Extended tags,ratings,show discovery: http://crunchyroll.com/group/rotten_sushi
His Holiness Optimus Maximus Decimus Meridius Colossus Nemesis Nexus Genesis
Awesome - Cowboy Bebop, Monster, FMA, Gintama
Fun - Infinite Stratos, Highschool DxD, Nozaki-kun
Stupid - Sword Art Online, Itazura na Kiss
Boring - Bleach, Shining Hearts.
I drop boring shows. I will complain about, but watch stupid shows. I will turn my brain off for fun shows. I will praise awesome shows.
I've Got Friends on the Other Side
My personal "rating" system (as in, the one i use only for myself)
All Time Favorite: (Only one at a time) Current example: Aria
Personal Favorite: Example - Kimi ni Todoke
Brilliant Series Example - A Certain Scientific Railgun
Good Series: Example - Yuyushiki
Normal Series: Example - One Week Friends
Below Average Series: Example - Upotte
The ones I bolded are actual rankings (that is to say, I separate them on my list.) The three below it are more like distinctions than rankings. They're all listed exactly the same on my list and I just sort of go by memory to put them in those three categories.
I think I posted my rather long public rating system in another thread (like for reviews on this website). Basically, I just go by how large of an audience the show can appeal to.
Link to my public rating post:
(=^w^=) Every cat has nine lives (=^w^=)
- It's over 9000!
- Pupa/Himegoto rank
I finally have time to crunchyroll and chill.
I hope my funeral is a grand affair
Meh/Bad Adaption from a manga/light novel
Pupa is one of few animes that deserves a ranking.
I like it.
I don't like it.
Family are the friends you are given, friends are the family you choose.
1. I'm going to watch this as soon as I have access to an internet-ready device
2. I'll watch it when I have the time
3. I'll watch it if I'm bored
4. I'll watch it while I'm doing something else
5. I'll watch it if I have absolutely nothing else I want to do
6. I'm not gonna watch it
That's the hierarchy I use, usually after one episode; things often move down; very occasionally things move up; the only things in recent memory were Attack on Titan (from 3 to 2) and Shin Sekai Yori (from 5 to 1)
Most shows are in the 5 or 6 column. Most seasons have 2 to 4 series each in columns 1-4, which is basically my viewing list for the season.
I have almost no free time, and yet I'm here...priorities
-Bad (Magikano, 11 Eyes)
I'll never watch the anime again, just horrible.
-Boring( Trigun, Baka no Test, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?)
Not bad, just didn't catch my interest
- Alright (Inuyasha, Black Bullet, Pandora Hearts)
Had some problems, but overall pretty good. Might watch some episodes on occasion.
- Great (Magi, Kill la Kill, Madoka Magica)
Really good anime. Will watch repeatedly.
-Highly recommend (Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, No Game No Life, Detective Conan, A Certain Magical Index/ Scientific Railgun)
Absolutely amazing. Watches all the time.
Mikayuu is canon
I dont really have a ranking system but I do have this on my computer that you could count as one, I guess.
(This is a list of the majority of the anime I have watched some, very few I choose not to put on here becuase it was just not one I would never bother looking into again or really recomend and most likle never finished. However what is on here is pretty or really good. Lastly the main reason of putting this together is because a lot of these are good and I wont remeber them other wise because I can not spell nor read the name.)
Key: WA= Watched all (WA does not include OVA's), GBGB= Good but got boring, WAAK= Watched as a kid, OK=okay, F= Feels
Kyoukai no Kanata--Beyond the Boundary: WA, F
Eden of the East: WA
K: WA.....K: Missing Kings [look up]
Karnavel: WA....read manga
Kannon 2006: WA, F
Air: WA, F
Clannad: WA, F
Clannad After Story: WA, F
Black Butler: WA
Heaven's Memo Pad--Kamisama no Memo-chou:WA
Sword Art Online: WA, F
Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi: WA
Death Note: WA
Ghost Hunt: WA
Fullmetal Alchemist: WAAK, F
Prince of Tennis
Ouran High School Host Club: WA
Samurai Champloo: WA
Naruto Shippuden, F
Blue Exorcist: WA
Durarara!!: WA....Read manga
Diabolik Lovers: WA
Gundam Seed: WA, F
Gundam Seed Destiny: WA, F
Fruits Basket: WA
Yu Yu Hakusho: WA, WAAK
Naruto: WA, WAAK, F
Rave Master: WA, WAAK
Rurouni Kenshin: WA, WAAK
Dragon Ball Z: WA, WAAK
Bleach: GBGB, WAAK
Kimi ni todoke: GBGB
Hiro no Kakera: WA
Say "I love you" (Sukitte Ii na yo): GBGB
La Corda d'Oro: WA
Zombie Loan: WA, OK
Angel Beats: WA, F
One Week Friends : WA
Soul Eater: WA, OK
Red Data Girl: WA
Sunday Without God: WA, F
Tonari no Kaibutsu kun: WA, OK
Special A: WA, OK
Black Bullet: now on ep 10
Inu X Boku Secret Service: now on ep 8
Steins Gate (check out)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: WA
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions-Heart Throb:
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee: WA
Tegami Bachi: Letter Bee Reverse:
Orenchi no Furo Jijo:
My Little Monster: WA, Ok
10-Masterpiece/ A Favorite of mine
9- Amazing, Highly recommanded recommand
8- Very good
7-It's good, nothing spectacular but it's good
6-Not bad, but proceed with caution
5- Meh, forgettable or the pros and cons are even
4-Bad, but maybe there is some positive
3- Very bad, wouldn't tell anyone to watch it
2-Kill it with fire
1-The fire isn't working, nuke it
Well that would be if I put a lot of thought into EVERYTHING I rate, I'm not a reviewer/critic so I kinda just rate things on a whim
Avi credit to Bathroom64
5 star - really enjoyed
4 star - enjoyed
3 star - acceptable
2 star - didn't like
1 star - utter shit
rrha yea ra ruinie omnis yor DESPEDIA/.
0 = utter shite (speed grapher, noein)
1 = i didn't like it but you might (diabolik lovers, witchblade)
2 = not good enough (gundam seed, gargantia)
3 = i liked it but... (s cry ed, AoT)
4 = beautiful, but not perfect (hellsing ultimate, godanar)
5 = the reasons i continue to watch anime (cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell)
using decimals in between...
He said in a sarcastic tone...