First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply When is someone capable of suicide?
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
What degree of depression or mental instability could make someone who fear pain and death more than anyone else, be capable of suicide?

I normally wouldn't make this kinda thread, but i want to hear others opinion on this.
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
The only people who could answer that question are dead.
11154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
How do you know they fear death?
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
- emotionally too painful to live.
- stripped of dignity; rape victims, bullied.
- unafraid of pain/death
- no friends/family who cared about them.

my safety lock is this one, "-afraid of pain". if i wasn't afraid of pain, i would have offed myself 10 years ago. i heard of several ways to die painlessly, but i just don't know if they're reliable. i want to be put to sleep through lethal injection or something by a doctor.
5906 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 38.2500° N, 85.76...
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
When they see a no way out. Some people will just kill the self. Some people will do suecide by cop, some seek recognition and will shootup a school than become fameous In their eyes and kill them selfs. Some will find a person on Internet and do a suecides meetup than end their life together.
14988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

MarkyD73 wrote:

How do you know they fear death?


They? I didn't mention a person
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Like seeing your parents get hit by a car and then having to endure that pain. Or having such great guts to die for someone significant so they could live.
11154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

Ryuouka wrote:


MarkyD73 wrote:

How do you know they fear death?


They? I didn't mention a person


Sorry I misread the post.
27931 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Kent, England
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

my safety lock is this one, "-afraid of pain". if i wasn't afraid of pain, i would have offed myself 10 years ago. i heard of several ways to die painlessly, but i just don't know if they're reliable. i want to be put to sleep through lethal injection or something by a doctor.

^ This


To give my own answer the question...

It'll be different for everyone depending on WHY they want to die. I've been suicidal but didn't have the courage to actually kill myself.

In my case, I reached my limit and didn't want to carry on feeling the way I felt and the only way out that I could see was to kill myself.
It was the fear of fucking-up the attempt and being left in a worse situation that saved me. I'm glad it did, btw.

I suppose people who are truly ready to die either fight that fear or don't have it. Maybe they have something like rage that pushes them through the fear. I don't know.

All I know for sure is that I don't ever want to go to that place again and urge anyone who feels depressed or suicidal to find help.
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14

Ryuouka wrote:

What degree of depression or mental instability could make someone who fear pain and death more than anyone else, be capable of suicide?

I normally wouldn't make this kinda thread, but i want to hear others opinion on this.


There's your answer. They will remain incapable until they get over that.

I shall share a most fitting poem regarding this subject:

Resumé
by: Dorothy Parker

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.
209 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / Albuquerque,NM
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

ianddicks wrote:


GayAsianBoy wrote:

my safety lock is this one, "-afraid of pain". if i wasn't afraid of pain, i would have offed myself 10 years ago. i heard of several ways to die painlessly, but i just don't know if they're reliable. i want to be put to sleep through lethal injection or something by a doctor.

^ This


To give my own answer the question...

It'll be different for everyone depending on WHY they want to die. I've been suicidal but didn't have the courage to actually kill myself.

In my case, I reached my limit and didn't want to carry on feeling the way I felt and the only way out that I could see was to kill myself.
It was the fear of fucking-up the attempt and being left in a worse situation that saved me. I'm glad it did, btw.

I suppose people who are truly ready to die either fight that fear or don't have it. Maybe they have something like rage that pushes them through the fear. I don't know.

All I know for sure is that I don't ever want to go to that place again and urge anyone who feels depressed or suicidal to find help.
I totally agree with your senitiment.

7106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere in rura...
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
The thing that kept me from following through was a concern that if there is a god, I really would rather not get to experience an eternity of Hell. Nowadays, it's that, the fact I actually have friends, my association with my mom has stabilized, and I have no interest in harming those who care.
599 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 11/19/14


I read an article about how a nurse saw many times through out her career, surviors of suicide attempts, that left them permanent damage in various ways. The survival rate of suicedes ar actually very high and I can't imagine how someone would feel after FAILING to accomplish the thing he/she set out to do becasue he/she has FAILED at so many other things in life.
14642 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / US of A
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

- emotionally too painful to live.
- stripped of dignity; rape victims, bullied.
- unafraid of pain/death
- no friends/family who cared about them.

my safety lock is this one, "-afraid of pain". if i wasn't afraid of pain, i would have offed myself 10 years ago. i heard of several ways to die painlessly, but i just don't know if they're reliable. i want to be put to sleep through lethal injection or something by a doctor.


^same story for me. It was the fear of pain and the fact that it was such an important choice that stopped myself from going any further. I read somewhere online that Shinji Ikari from Evangelion was too pathetic to commit suicide, and that also kind of described me for a time.

For my own take on the question, the triggers are really overwhelming events that go wrong. Such events can vary from person to person. For one person, it may be the fact that their grades aren't up to their standard (some homes really put the pressure to get only As). For another, it could be an event where someone close to them has (or almost) died. There's also financial troubles that add on to it. It can even be an accumulation of all those things.

And a reason why these events would feel so overbearing is because there is no plausible outlet in their mind. "Oh, you'll get over it." or "It's a disease, stop being do glum!" or "What are you talking about, that isn't so bad." or "You need help. Go see someone right now!"

Of course, not all people are like that and there are people willing to listen. Getting help is really difficult too, in fear of being scrutinized and people finding out. Like, I was super reluctant, to the point that I would rather just live with the depression. I was literally forced into getting help, which made me resent the people who dragged me to do it, but I do feel a bit better.

crap, that was a lot more than I thought I was gonna write. hope I answered the question in my pseudo-monologue
Posted 11/19/14

Mugen417 wrote:

I read an article about how a nurse saw many times through out her career, surviors of suicide attempts, that left them permanent damage in various ways. The survival rate of suicedes ar actually very high and I can't imagine how someone would feel after FAILING to accomplish the thing he/she set out to do becasue he/she has FAILED at so many other things in life.


Yes, it must suck not even having the resolve to off yourself properly. What was it that Yoda said? "Do or do not. There is no try." People who really want to die, die. I honestly think it's pointless to half-heartedly want to die. Which is why I really can't get myself to feel any sort of sympathy for people like that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.