First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
When is someone capable of suicide?
16267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Norway, Oslo
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

kirika202 wrote:


Kikusui10 wrote:

It's usually depression that leads to suicide, how they got depression is an individual case. They don't seek death because they want to, it's about how rough life is living and how strong you are mentally.


My thoughts exactly.

I have depression and it is something I can't control, I don't need to have a reason to have depression. Suicide is always in my mind and I haven't done it because of one person...when that person dies I will not hesitate to end my life simply because nothing else matters to me, not even myself.


I'm sorry to hear that. I won't act like i understand your circumstances and try to convince you otherwise. I can only tell you that i also struggled with depression. My solution was running away from it though. Right now it's not gone or cured but it's not really bothering my daily life. Maybe one day things will get better for you, i do hope so.
17488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

ishe5555 wrote:

Or weren't aware they were contemplating. It is common for people to not be all that forthright with their feelings, especially those that are feeling down/depressed. It is not uncommon for someone who is contemplating suicide to mask their pain/sorrow and pretend that nothing is wrong. Someone who is going to commit suicide doesn't go around spreading the word that they are going to do it. Those that go around saying that are usually ones that wouldn't be able to go through with it, and are seeking attention.
I can't believe what I'm reading.

If someone tells you they are suicidal, they are just seeking for attention and will not actually kill themselves.
If someone doesn't tell you they are suicidal, well I guess you just will never know.

Isn't this a fucking lose-loss situation. Yeah, they won't do it until they do. No wonder your friends don't come to you for help.
17488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

BlueOni wrote:

The last couple of replies lead me to believe that I need to address the other side of the river, the side of those who survive the suicide of a friend or loved one. It's a deeply traumatic experience filled with anger, confusion, guilt, and sadness all rolled up into one terrible ball. You start looking for the reasons why this person felt they needed to die, asking yourself whether you could have prevented it, and wondering why you didn't notice the signs and do something. It's one of the worst things a person can ever go through, as much so as experiencing an increasing desire to die.

Some deal with the pain of surviving the loss of a loved one to suicide by getting angry at the person who died, others by continuing to blame themselves, and others still by going into denial. They might, for example, insist to their dying day that their loved one was murdered even if there's no evidence for that whatsoever, or they might complain that the deceased was a selfish fool who only cared about themselves. In the worst case the survivors themselves become suicidal.

Coping with a loved one's suicide is as varied a process as the processes which lead to a person taking their own life, and just as much care and attention needs to be devoted to survivors of suicides as people who are at risk of committing suicide. Supportive, understanding hearts are needed to help get people through that terrible ordeal.
There is also a third side that everyone is leaving out. I came into this thread with a specific example in mind. Those that write these comments to spit on his death makes me want to kill everyone here.
12406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Iceland
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

Ryuouka wrote:

What degree of depression or mental instability could make someone who fear pain and death more than anyone else, be capable of suicide?

I normally wouldn't make this kinda thread, but i want to hear others opinion on this.


To what degree would cause a man to take his own life? There are many answers to this question and I'll give you mine. It is when living seems more cruel than being dead, it is when the thought of loosing everything doesn't matter anymore, it is when a man realizes that death can come painlessly. I once believed that the pain of death should be enough for preventing suicides but I was wrong and realized that with little ingenuity even coward can take his own life. That said, the idea that pain is no longer an issue somewhat unsettles me and yet I'm glad for it. There should be more to living than surviving and I believe that life is only worth living when you've found something worth dying for.
26543 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

BlueOni wrote:

The last couple of replies lead me to believe that I need to address the other side of the river, the side of those who survive the suicide of a friend or loved one. It's a deeply traumatic experience filled with anger, confusion, guilt, and sadness all rolled up into one terrible ball. You start looking for the reasons why this person felt they needed to die, asking yourself whether you could have prevented it, and wondering why you didn't notice the signs and do something. It's one of the worst things a person can ever go through, as much so as experiencing an increasing desire to die.

Some deal with the pain of surviving the loss of a loved one to suicide by getting angry at the person who died, others by continuing to blame themselves, and others still by going into denial. They might, for example, insist to their dying day that their loved one was murdered even if there's no evidence for that whatsoever, or they might complain that the deceased was a selfish fool who only cared about themselves. In the worst case the survivors themselves become suicidal.

Coping with a loved one's suicide is as varied a process as the processes which lead to a person taking their own life, and just as much care and attention needs to be devoted to survivors of suicides as people who are at risk of committing suicide. Supportive, understanding hearts are needed to help get people through that terrible ordeal.




I've dealt with several suicides in my life.
It's an incredibly surreal feeling. While I didn't feel guilt or anger, I was very sad and confused. I knew I wasn't responsible. And I couldn't be angry because I've had severe depression since childhood. I know what it's like to feel hopeless and lost. I even know what it's like to lose all emotions. But I've never wanted to die. I couldn't understand just how much or how little they were feeling. I couldn't and still can't relate to it, so it makes it harder to understand.
Suicide is so much different than "normal" deaths. There's no sickness like with cancer or physical diseases. Even with the elderly, you know they're eventually going to die. Everyone does at some point.
You're left with very little closure. With murder, there's the chance of finding the culprit. There's hope. But with suicide, they're gone. Done. Nothing else.

I still sometimes feel like I could turn around and they'd be right there. It only lasts for a second. Then I remember what happened. It's such a weird feeling. Nostalgia, sadness, even a little shock.
29232 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

Just think, right now as you read this, some guy somewhere is gettin’ ready to hang himself. - George Carlin
35590 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14

FlyinDumpling wrote:

There is also a third side that everyone is leaving out. I came into this thread with a specific example in mind. Those that write these comments to spit on his death makes me want to kill everyone here.


You mean people who are going to commit suicide but either don't or fail?
2887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Portugal
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
The worst depressions are the ones that lead to think about suicide. The same goes for mental instability. One of my best friends died one year ago because he had deep depression which lead to mental instability. But his lifestyle was live fast die young, so is not a great example. My point is high levels depression and/or mental instability lead to suicidal tendencies for sure. Then depends on the person to overcome it.


There is also a third side that everyone is leaving out. I came into this thread with a specific example in mind. Those that write these comments to spit on his death makes me want to kill everyone here.


Who is writing comments to spit on someone's death? That comment is ignorant.
11810 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Crunchyroll HQ
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
If you don't have a reason to live make your own, and live for another person or a cause.
12342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

BlueOni wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

There is also a third side that everyone is leaving out. I came into this thread with a specific example in mind. Those that write these comments to spit on his death makes me want to kill everyone here.


You mean people who are going to commit suicide but either don't or fail?


Isn't it about how truly suicidal people don't hear or care about what other people say anymore? I know a health professional who says that you can only prevent being suicidal by stopping it before it happens. He was suicidal before and he claims that if he becomes suicidal again, he won't be able to stop it even with all that he knows from his worldwide talks of stopping suicide. Reasoning no longer matters to such a person since emotions/your subconscious mind takes over. When he was about to jump off a bridge once, someone shouted "Then why don't you jump off, you coward?!" and he felt it as much as if he didn't say anything and proceeded to jump... until some officers tackled him. The do or don't challenge fell completely flat to him.

There's a difference between thinking about suicide and being suicidal. A suicidal person does not have much of a decision, because there is only one choice.
26464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Iwatobi!!
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Suicide is the end result of deep depression and a cycle where in everyday life you feel trapped and it's the only way out. I would say when you are depressed and having these suicidal thoughts, you don't fear death, but fear living everyday. Everyday where you feel so alone and worthless and like nothing is achieved. Even if you are not alone it's the depression making you feel like you are and so you hide away from those who care and the thoughts get louder and you lose control of your mind...making you so lonely. I lost a friend to suicide and just a few days ago it was 3 years since..and it's painful. One moment they are there and then they are just gone...I can understand the feelings they must of had and that depression but can never understand why I never saw it..And I know people can hide their feelings very well (me included) but even still...

Every person is capable of suicide, but I truly hope no one gets to that point. Always trust in someone and have someone to talk to because you are important <3
1400 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

Ryuouka wrote:

What degree of depression or mental instability could make someone who fear pain and death more than anyone else, be capable of suicide?

I normally wouldn't make this kinda thread, but i want to hear others opinion on this.


The degree to which you speak of is the type of feelings where you simultaneously feel too much and yet feel nothing at all. It's where you feel so suffocated that you don't think you can escape the feelings unless you kill it where it starts, which is ultimately inside of you. It's when you fear the fear so much that you'd do absolutely anything. A person like that might even force themselves into a situation where someone else does it for them. It's a sad thing, and it happens.
35590 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

RedExodus wrote:

Isn't it about how truly suicidal people don't hear or care about what other people say anymore? I know a health professional who says that you can only prevent being suicidal by stopping it before it happens. He was suicidal before and he claims that if he becomes suicidal again, he won't be able to stop it even with all that he knows from his worldwide talks of stopping suicide. Reasoning no longer matters to such a person since emotions/your subconscious mind takes over. When he was about to jump off a bridge once, someone shouted "Then why don't you jump off, you coward?!" and he felt it as much as if he didn't say anything and proceeded to jump... until some officers tackled him. The do or don't challenge fell completely flat to him.

There's a difference between thinking about suicide and being suicidal. A suicidal person does not have much of a decision, because there is only one choice.


I mean, yeah. There's that. But apparently I missed someone. I covered people seriously contemplating it, people surviving the aftermath, and people in the final stages before acting. I'm not sure who I missed.
Posted 11/19/14
Anyone is capable of suicide at any given time. Its unknowable. Whether they can go through with it or not is up to if they have a convenient means to go through with it and ppl that care/ are willing to talk them out of it .

And just because someone doesn't do it the first time or a thousand times doesn't mean they never will. Most of the ones that have those thoughts and try repeatedly succeed at a later time in their lives. A little known and overlooked fact.
3318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / NW
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14
I made a rule set that is things got that bad I'd join the Foreign Legions.

Reading a book series "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant" by Steven R Donaldson helped organize my priorities about self worth and perseverance.

Then again I get what called "deep blue" for a few months at a time where I just need to be alone. Being around people drains me.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.