WEEKEND TICKETS GOING FAST!

PRICES GO UP AT THE GATE

PURCHASE TICKET
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Internet Addiction
Posted 11/19/14
I found this a really interesting subject.

Is internet addiction often downplayed? How much of a problem is Internet Addiction?

My opinion? Yes. It's downplayed too much. I recently discovered i am addicted, and this has been a serious problem for a long time. However, in the past, whenever anyone had mentioned it, it was more used as an insult rather than mentioning it as a genuine problem.

Feel free to share any stories or opinions on this matter
Posted 11/19/14
I'm not addicted, I just can't live without it.
zwd 
7187 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
Are you addicted to the internet or are you just having problems finding people to relate to offline? If you can only find people (or no people just anime/manga) you like to relate to online then you aren't addicted to the internet you are lonely.

The internet is the great anonymizer and allows people to be more open than they would with real people. It creates a false sense of security and confidence.

Not saying it isn't downplayed. I am saying that what really needs to be focused in on is why people have so much difficulty finding people they relate to properly in the flesh.



Posted 11/19/14
personally believe any usage for more than an hour without a break is a sign of an addiction (unless it's for work or something). i'm talking about personal time.

it's good to find another hobby that you like equally, tbh. the internet is just so addictive because it's so convenient, but it actually makes you more tired than if you were doing something physical. and you can't sleep as well... and then people blame it on having "insomnia" when the cause of their insomnia is excessive use of technology lol...
Posted 11/19/14

zwd wrote:

Are you addicted to the internet or are you just having problems finding people to relate to offline? If you can only find people (or no people just anime/manga) you like to relate to online then you aren't addicted to the internet you are lonely.

The internet is the great anonymizer and allows people to be more open than they would with real people. It creates a false sense of security and confidence.

Not saying it isn't downplayed. I am saying that what really needs to be focused in on is why people have so much difficulty finding people they relate to properly in the flesh.





I'm not sure entirely. In my case its probably both. Lack of social knowledge made me left out a lot. So the internet would fill a loneliness whilst also disengaging myself from interaction with people.



GayAsianBoy wrote:

personally believe any usage for more than an hour without a break is a sign of an addiction (unless it's for work or something). i'm talking about personal time.

it's good to find another hobby that you like equally, tbh. the internet is just so addictive because it's so convenient, but it actually makes you more tired than if you were doing something physical. and you can't sleep as well... and then people blame it on having "insomnia" when the cause of their insomnia is excessive use of technology lol...


I used to do 6 to 8 hours solid. I don't count numbers really, but effect on life. If accessing the internet feels like a necessity, and you feel out of touch when offline. I would call that an addiction.
2887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Portugal
Offline
Posted 11/19/14 , edited 11/19/14

Are you addicted to the internet or are you just having problems finding people to relate to offline? If you can only find people (or no people just anime/manga) you like to relate to online then you aren't addicted to the internet you are lonely.


I think the two problems are related, if you're lonely then the probability of becoming addicted to the internet is way bigger. Maybe the biggest reason is loneliness, poor social life. Of course it's an addiction, being lonely is just one way that leads towards this problem.
22267 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Australia
Offline
Posted 11/19/14

itsvesper wrote:

I found this a really interesting subject.

Is internet addiction often downplayed? How much of a problem is Internet Addiction?

My opinion? Yes. It's downplayed too much. I recently discovered i am addicted, and this has been a serious problem for a long time. However, in the past, whenever anyone had mentioned it, it was more used as an insult rather than mentioning it as a genuine problem.

Feel free to share any stories or opinions on this matter


I'm curious to hear your own story.

I don't think I'm addicted per se. I used to rent games and anime from the videostore back when that was still a thing, so I could've done without internet. Unfortunately the internet is a huge integrated part of people's lives - be it in their work, or in their leisure time. It's where I access anime, manga, both online/offline gaming and so forth so without it I would most likely have difficulty coping simply because a majority of my interests and hobbies are made easier to access thanks to the internet, a lot of my social interaction also happens through the internet for me. It's a lot easier to meet people who are into anime and/or videogames, thus it's easier for me to form a great connection with people. In real life, this doesn't hold as true. I have a handful of friends (one being my boyfriend of 15 or so months) all of which plays games to an extent, have similar music taste and such so I have a small number of good connections, which is more worthy than a tonne of useless connections to me. I do suffer from anxiety (general, social) as well as depression but these have been on-going conditions from an extremely young age due to my childhood, none of which were instigated or perpetuated by the internet. Sure my hobbies do keep me inside more than outside, but my social anxiety actually stemmed from a period of isolation (in which I didn't use my phone, the internet, play games, watch anime etc) yet a lot of people stigmatize such hobbies and assume that if I stay home often those said things are the root cause.

I do think addictions are often downplayed, and people are insulted when they should be taken seriously and offered help. At the same time I feel there is a huge stigma revolving around such hobbies that can actually be really hurtful to people and also cause them to further keep to themselves, which in turn may lead to more serious conditions. If someone loves art and they stay indoors painting all day, it's seen as productive (even if those pieces never see the light of day) but if someone stays inside playing games all day it's seen as "lazy" and "mindless" when it's most definitely not always the case. Even though things like anime and gaming have been a huge part of my life since I was young, it's become much more of a therapeutic activity in recent years - I don't rely on it, I don't use it to escape reality in an unhealthy manner, it simply makes me feel a lot better. On a side note, a lot of people blatantly have Facebook addictions that are unhealthy but people disregard this because it's a social media platform.

Sorry that this reply went a bit off-topic, but I feel like other activities such as the ones I mentioned are often lumped in with "addictions" revolving around technology and the internet.
30464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Iwatobi!!
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
This seems to be the era of "Technology and Internet" and a lot of things in life are connected to the two. So I wouldn't say I am addicted but the internet is a necessity and living without it would be harder but not impossible. I guess having things such as facebook and internet shopping makes life more convieant and easy
9753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
I think it's because of how much it's the norm to be on the internet. Since we're all addicted, we're blind to our addictions. And, in some cases, it's not just addiction, but enslavement. there's so many things you simply cannot do without the internet anymore, or, you are vastly hindered in attempting to do.And I mean basics, like find a job, get unemployment, Find a god damned phone number. Get directions. (yellow pages are almost nonexistent. So are maps).

So it's kinda two part.
18547 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 11/19/14
for me, its more information addiction.
i used to solv all kinds of problems on my own, now i just use the internet to find other peoples solutions.
makes me stupid.

trying to break the addaction.
Posted 11/20/14

kokorowohiraite wrote:


itsvesper wrote:

I found this a really interesting subject.

Is internet addiction often downplayed? How much of a problem is Internet Addiction?

My opinion? Yes. It's downplayed too much. I recently discovered i am addicted, and this has been a serious problem for a long time. However, in the past, whenever anyone had mentioned it, it was more used as an insult rather than mentioning it as a genuine problem.

Feel free to share any stories or opinions on this matter


I'm curious to hear your own story.

I don't think I'm addicted per se. I used to rent games and anime from the videostore back when that was still a thing, so I could've done without internet. Unfortunately the internet is a huge integrated part of people's lives - be it in their work, or in their leisure time. It's where I access anime, manga, both online/offline gaming and so forth so without it I would most likely have difficulty coping simply because a majority of my interests and hobbies are made easier to access thanks to the internet, a lot of my social interaction also happens through the internet for me. It's a lot easier to meet people who are into anime and/or videogames, thus it's easier for me to form a great connection with people. In real life, this doesn't hold as true. I have a handful of friends (one being my boyfriend of 15 or so months) all of which plays games to an extent, have similar music taste and such so I have a small number of good connections, which is more worthy than a tonne of useless connections to me. I do suffer from anxiety (general, social) as well as depression but these have been on-going conditions from an extremely young age due to my childhood, none of which were instigated or perpetuated by the internet. Sure my hobbies do keep me inside more than outside, but my social anxiety actually stemmed from a period of isolation (in which I didn't use my phone, the internet, play games, watch anime etc) yet a lot of people stigmatize such hobbies and assume that if I stay home often those said things are the root cause.

I do think addictions are often downplayed, and people are insulted when they should be taken seriously and offered help. At the same time I feel there is a huge stigma revolving around such hobbies that can actually be really hurtful to people and also cause them to further keep to themselves, which in turn may lead to more serious conditions. If someone loves art and they stay indoors painting all day, it's seen as productive (even if those pieces never see the light of day) but if someone stays inside playing games all day it's seen as "lazy" and "mindless" when it's most definitely not always the case. Even though things like anime and gaming have been a huge part of my life since I was young, it's become much more of a therapeutic activity in recent years - I don't rely on it, I don't use it to escape reality in an unhealthy manner, it simply makes me feel a lot better. On a side note, a lot of people blatantly have Facebook addictions that are unhealthy but people disregard this because it's a social media platform.

Sorry that this reply went a bit off-topic, but I feel like other activities such as the ones I mentioned are often lumped in with "addictions" revolving around technology and the internet.


Really interesting to read this lol. But here's my story.

I'd always been bullied throughout school. This was a pretty inevitable fact in my life unfortunately. I never seemed to fit in amongst the crowds which i was around in school. Sometimes, this was just due to my natural personality being a bit strange, other times, it was due to the fact that i thought things through a lot more than some people i went to school with. The laptop pretty quickly became a homely place to hang out. Half of the time, it seemed that people who understood my point of view were on message boards. It is rather easy to see how this can get out-of-control quickly. I developed internet friends and began to communicate with them a lot more, i would trawl google to teach myself something new. Sometimes, I discovered a new game i liked, but thanks to the timezone differences, the best time to play on servers was at 11pm... Nowadays, I suppose the internet is so far ingrained into myself, that it's not as easy as "turn off the laptop" like many people believe it is.

I believe this issue is not taken properly all of the time. I always remember an argument with my older sibling, where they mocked me for being addicted to the internet. Although this was true, I completely rejected what they said. Why? Because i knew that they were not mentioning this because they were genuinely worried. They wanted me to feel bad.

I believe the issue simply is not taken like a proper addiction. Many people believe it's as simple as "just turn off the laptop". Unfortunately, that is like telling an alcoholic to "just stop drinking". I also agree that many people are addicted to social media, and yet claim they arent and accuse others of addiction. It seems that people view activities like gaming as an addiction, but over-frequently checking your Facebook is not seen as an addiction as much
Posted 11/20/14
I could prove I'm addicted by switching off, but I don't feel the need to prove anything.
2540 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Out of sight (But...
Offline
Posted 11/20/14 , edited 11/20/14
From a psychological standpoint, the fact that you believe you're addicted greatly contributes to the fact that you're addicted.

If you believe you can quit the internet(?), you'll probably be able to do so.

If you believe you aren't actually addicted at all, you won't be addicted at all.

Of course, other things factor in, but this what mainly happens. Unless you're on a drug called "Internet" which is legitimately addictive, in which case you should see a doctor.
Posted 11/20/14
Not addicted... I mean, it's not like I automatically resorted to hacking nearby wifi connections when my landlord's went down for an hour a couple of days ago..
22353 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Holland
Offline
Posted 11/20/14
I spend every second of my life on the internet, but I can do without. It would just be very boring in my opinion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.