First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Is anime more popular in America or in Japan ?
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/25/14
Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?
24281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/14

Siawo wrote:

Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?


Not by a long shot... It is however the most popular manga.
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/14 , edited 11/26/14

MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:

Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?


Not by a long shot... It is however the most popular manga.


Naruto is far more popular than One Piece outside of Japan, everybody knows about Naruto, the anime has better ratings and the manga sales OUTSIDE of Japan are far better....

one piece is branded as the top selling manga because 95% of its manga sales are from the same country (japan)

even the one piece anime is branded as one of the most popular and with top quality, when we all know how bad the animation and pacing are... as a manga reader i sometimes feel insulted by how Toei deals with the anime.... yet it really doesn't matter because im not from Japan
24281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/14 , edited 11/26/14

Siawo wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:

Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?


Not by a long shot... It is however the most popular manga.


Naruto is far more popular than One Piece outside of Japan, everybody knows about Naruto, the anime has better ratings and the manga sales OUTSIDE of Japan are far better....

one piece is branded as the top selling manga because 95% of its manga sales are from the same country (japan)

even the one piece anime is branded as one of the most popular and with top quality, when we all know how bad the animation and pacing are... as a manga reader i sometimes feel insulted by how Toei deals with the anime.... yet it really doesn't matter because im not from Japan


Sure, I'm not doubting those points. Just the one I highlighted in bold, One Piece being the most popular anime in Japan.

Edit: Yeah, but it isn't though. Quality-wise I can't argue that because there aren't numbers for something like that but in terms of viewership it's easily handled by older longer running anime that still air new episodes.
4153 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/14

MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:

Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?


Not by a long shot... It is however the most popular manga.


Naruto is far more popular than One Piece outside of Japan, everybody knows about Naruto, the anime has better ratings and the manga sales OUTSIDE of Japan are far better....

one piece is branded as the top selling manga because 95% of its manga sales are from the same country (japan)

even the one piece anime is branded as one of the most popular and with top quality, when we all know how bad the animation and pacing are... as a manga reader i sometimes feel insulted by how Toei deals with the anime.... yet it really doesn't matter because im not from Japan


Sure, I'm not doubting those points. Just the one I highlighted in bold, One Piece being the most popular anime in Japan.


oh well i may have overreacted but that doesnt remove the fact that one piece is one of the most popular animes in Japan, and its ratings are pretty high... it really doesnt matter how shitty an episode is, the people are still watching it, got my point? i read last week in an article that one piece lost popularity outside of Japan, but it really didnt affect Toei
24281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 11/26/14

Siawo wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Siawo wrote:

Japan = one piece is the most popular anime

America and the rest of the planet = naruto is the most popular anime

yet, one piece has better manga sales, get my point?


Not by a long shot... It is however the most popular manga.


Naruto is far more popular than One Piece outside of Japan, everybody knows about Naruto, the anime has better ratings and the manga sales OUTSIDE of Japan are far better....

one piece is branded as the top selling manga because 95% of its manga sales are from the same country (japan)

even the one piece anime is branded as one of the most popular and with top quality, when we all know how bad the animation and pacing are... as a manga reader i sometimes feel insulted by how Toei deals with the anime.... yet it really doesn't matter because im not from Japan


Sure, I'm not doubting those points. Just the one I highlighted in bold, One Piece being the most popular anime in Japan.


oh well i may have overreacted but that doesnt remove the fact that one piece is one of the most popular animes in Japan, and its ratings are pretty high... it really doesnt matter how shitty an episode is, the people are still watching it, got my point? i read last week in an article that one piece lost popularity outside of Japan, but it really didnt affect Toei


I agree 100%.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Anime is not that popular in Japan except some most popular series.Most of your high school students would have never heard of Akame ga kill or No game no life.On the other hand Manga is REALLY HUGE in Japan.

I would say Manga is 2 times more popular than all anime and light nove and VNs and online game and other geeky hobby combined.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Their are more people in America.

Ergo, you could say it's more popular.



I stopped believing the bullshit "Anime is a Niche Market" when I started finding people in every single job I get who like watching Anime.

It's not as main as Video Games yet, but it has the ability to eventually get there.

Honestly? I blame Nintendo. People are used to Link and Mario and all those damned Smash Brothers kids like Marthy and Ike and Pokemon Master and shit.

Add in Dark Souls and we have a whole plethora of mixing Cultures, Anime is just a part of that shit.



And um...Aniplex is ruining it for everybody. Funimation and Sentai Filmworks are the good guys, trust them, buy from them.
NEVER BUY ANIME THAT COSTS MORE THAN 10 BUCKS AN EPISODE!
Zodai 
11314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Person for person, they're probably about equal as the US has a far larger population.

While anime is certainly more tuned to a Japanese audience currently, I feel like that's not the main thing here. I think it's more about anime being a much newer medium than film or books, so the population hasn't gotten accustomed to growing up with it yet, or maybe it could have something to do with the majority of animation produced outside of Japan (I'm referring to stuff like Spongebob here) has a mostly if not exclusively child audience.

Thus, even if you've watched some anime/cartoons as a child, if all you saw was marketed to children, then as you grew up you would 'mature' out of the animation market entirely. It could be a stretch, but there's a point to take that things such as DBZ and Naruto are also marketed towards a similar audience, at least on a surface level, so people tend to grow out of them as well, despite the fact that anime aimed at an older audience exists.

Truth be told, even when Japanese companies do try to 'americanize' their products, it often doesn't end up too well. Using games as an example, personally I feel like Final Fantasy XIII was the largest example of this, which toned down the gameplay for what they felt would work for a global audience, which just ended up making people not like it anywhere. (At least, from what I know.) Where as something like the Persona series didn't tone down the Japanese-ness as all (Even in the localizations, the honorifics and use of Japanese terms didn't really go down much) and is currently one of the best franchises in the genre, at least in my opinion.

Basically, I think it has more to do with animation growing as a whole. There's no need for Japan do 'Americanize' or 'Un-Japanize' their products, as they're perfectly fine without it - and honestly, much of the botched localizations come from people trying to americanize the work in the first place.

I don't really have any evidence for this, but that's my general hypothesis.
Posted 11/27/14

AiYumega wrote:

The question isn't who it's made for. It's where it's most popular.

My library has a manga section, anime DVD's, the whole lot. Pretty much 98% of the people I know like anime and manga, and they're not even that adept at Japanese culture.

I'd say, right now at this very moment, it's even. In the next ten years....it won't be even.



Maybe population wise, but ratio wise? I think Japan has it in the bag.
Zodai 
11314 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14

puzzleanddragons wrote:

Anime is not that popular in Japan except some most popular series.Most of your high school students would have never heard of Akame ga kill or No game no life.On the other hand Manga is REALLY HUGE in Japan.

I would say Manga is 2 times more popular than all anime and light nove and VNs and online game and other geeky hobby combined.


Akame Ga Kill and NGNL are already adaptions of other works, Manga and Light Novel respectively. Gurren Lagann and Madoka are examples of anime that originated as anime, but those are so large that they're bound to be heard of. You'd probably go with something less good.

Not sure if I explained that very well, but hopefully you get my point.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14

Zodai wrote:


puzzleanddragons wrote:

Anime is not that popular in Japan except some most popular series.Most of your high school students would have never heard of Akame ga kill or No game no life.On the other hand Manga is REALLY HUGE in Japan.

I would say Manga is 2 times more popular than all anime and light nove and VNs and online game and other geeky hobby combined.


Akame Ga Kill and NGNL are already adaptions of other works, Manga and Light Novel respectively. Gurren Lagann and Madoka are examples of anime that originated as anime, but those are so large that they're bound to be heard of. You'd probably go with something less good.

Not sure if I explained that very well, but hopefully you get my point.




Out of my Japanese friends or people I know(I'm Japanese myself living in Japan) hand full of them watch anime or heard of Akame ga kill or No game no life.Most of them(at least my age and my gender) have read major manga like Vagabond,Kaiji,Ushijima-kun,

I don't say Akame ga Kill manga is more popular than AgK Anime,Just reading manga is much popular and normal thing than watching anime which is almost as popular as reading LNs








26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/27/14
In my experience 30-50% of University students read manga in Japan.
About 5-8 percent of university students watch anime or read Light novels.


Edit: I exaggerated a bit.
It may be more like 50% vs 10-15% ish considering people might secretly watch anime because it has negative connotation.
I agree anime is much much popular in Japan than in US,but anime in Japan is not nearly as popular as manga in Japan which is huge and totally normal thing to do for university students.
JuJu26 
27552 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Oh, Japan for sure; no contest!
Posted 11/27/14

puzzleanddragons wrote:

In my experience 30-50% of University students read manga in Japan.
About 5-8 percent of university students watch anime or read Light novels.


Edit: I exaggerated a bit.
It may be more like 50% vs 10-15% ish considering people might secretly watch anime because it has negative connotation.
I agree anime is much much popular in Japan than in US,but anime in Japan is not nearly as popular as manga in Japan which is huge and totally normal thing to do for university students.


That's so weird, because fewer people read manga than watch anime over here.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.