Post Reply Does Crunchyroll Roku App do 1080p
24007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
I just bought a Roku 3 and the APP is constantly doing 360p, 420p, etc. Does the app actually output in 1080p? At this rate I am going return Roku 3 and get an Apple TV. Also I have no problem outputting in 1080p from my Macbook Pro, so I don't understand why I am having these problems.
42634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/27/14

blake3334 wrote:

I just bought a Roku 3 and the APP is constantly doing 360p, 420p, etc. Does the app actually output in 1080p? At this rate I am going return Roku 3 and get an Apple TV. Also I have no problem outputting in 1080p from my Macbook Pro, so I don't understand why I am having these problems.


Just episodes from today? Or episodes from more than a day ago, too? Usually on devices, you need to wait an extra hour after their release on the site (sometimes, but rarely more than that) before the higher-resolutions are completely released due to needing to produce hard-coded subs in all resolutions and languages, which means many different files to produce and distribute..

But if it is older episodes, too, then that's a different problem..
The Wise Wizard
99891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 11/27/14

blake3334 wrote:

I just bought a Roku 3 and the APP is constantly doing 360p, 420p, etc. Does the app actually output in 1080p?

When the new app was announced earlier this year, it was explicitly stated it was in HD, but 1080p was not specifically mentioned. Technically, it could max out at 720p.

21269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mississippi, U.S.
Offline
Posted 11/30/14
I'm having the same issue as the OP, and I posted a thread about it as well. Mine has occurred with episodes that are well past a day old. It really wasn't an issue until the past week or so. Now, I cannot watch anything without a very noticeable and unwelcome drop in quality. None of my other Roku apps have this problem and I do not have any network issues on my end. It is likely an issue with CR or its app. I hope this is addressed soon because I naturally prefer to watch video on a widescreen over a laptop screen.

42634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/30/14

Magical_Squirrel wrote:

I'm having the same issue as the OP, and I posted a thread about it as well. Mine has occurred with episodes that are well past a day old. It really wasn't an issue until the past week or so. Now, I cannot watch anything without a very noticeable and unwelcome drop in quality. None of my other Roku apps have this problem and I do not have any network issues on my end. It is likely an issue with CR or its app. I hope this is addressed soon because I naturally prefer to watch video on a widescreen over a laptop screen.



I wish I could help, but unfortunately it's a more complicated situation than just either CR vs. your ISP being the cause...

https://gigaom.com/2013/09/16/video-isnt-breaking-the-internet-the-industry-giants-are/

Also if you did some further googling of the middle-tier level players like Akamai, Cogent, and Level-3, and terms like peering disputes and net neutrality, you could come to some other conclusions (or even none at all because there's no transparency) about whose "fault" it might actually be...

Whether it is because of where you are, or the path it takes, is probably different in everyone's cases, but since I don't have those issues, and there are many others besides me who don't have them, either, it really doesn't seem to be a CR source capacity problem, but that middle layer it has to go through where there isn't any regulation of "prioritizing" traffic to get to your ISP instead of mine. But... that's just conjecture on my part.

Obviously lots of people are running into problems, and more of them as the situation continues, but it may be something that CR really can't do anything about because they're such a small player compared to someone with the financial backing of Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu...

21269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mississippi, U.S.
Offline
Posted 11/30/14

asharka wrote:

I wish I could help, but unfortunately it's a more complicated situation than just either CR vs. your ISP being the cause...

https://gigaom.com/2013/09/16/video-isnt-breaking-the-internet-the-industry-giants-are/

Also if you did some further googling of the middle-tier level players like Akamai, Cogent, and Level-3, and terms like peering disputes and net neutrality, you could come to some other conclusions (or even none at all because there's no transparency) about whose "fault" it might actually be...

Whether it is because of where you are, or the path it takes, is probably different in everyone's cases, but since I don't have those issues, and there are many others besides me who don't have them, either, it really doesn't seem to be a CR source capacity problem, but that middle layer it has to go through where there isn't any regulation of "prioritizing" traffic to get to your ISP instead of mine. But... that's just conjecture on my part.

Obviously lots of people are running into problems, and more of them as the situation continues, but it may be something that CR really can't do anything about because they're such a small player compared to someone with the financial backing of Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu...


Thanks for the added information. I hadn't considered that aspect. If this is indeed the case, wouldn't all my devices be affected instead of only CR's Roku channel? For example, I can load any video, drama or anime, on my iPad via the ios app and there is no reduction in quality - or there hasn't been thus far anyway. I used my iPad last night when I kept getting a really poor quality stream of GTO on the Roku, and it worked flawlessly for its entire run-time. I haven't tried streaming on my home computer so I can't comment on its video quality.

42634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 11/30/14

Magical_Squirrel wrote:
wouldn't all my devices be affected instead of only CR's Roku channel? For example, I can load any video, drama or anime, on my iPad via the ios app and there is no reduction in quality - or there hasn't been thus far anyway. I used my iPad last night when I kept getting a really poor quality stream of GTO on the Roku, and it worked flawlessly for its entire run-time. I haven't tried streaming on my home computer so I can't comment on its video quality.

Well... I won't say it absolutely isn't the Roku app... The release of this entirely complete new version was not exactly flawless in execution either the first or the second time, so there could still be something not quite right there... Usually, though, something like adaptive-rate streaming is something built into the canned API calls, and if it was a programming problem, it would be odd for it to have worked at one point and then gotten worse. That really points more towards the streaming rate detection. But It's something that can't be ruled out entirely, because I'm just speculating based on what I would expect, not what I know.

As for PC streaming, that comes via a different CDN than the app streams, so you can't really compare them to each other because the origin is a different location and comes over a different network route. I have seen reports here both ways where some people have more luck with one type, but not the other.
36990 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 11/30/14 , edited 11/30/14
I'm pretty confident that I've seen my Roku switch between two different HD modes depending on my connection, which makes me fairly convinced that it has output in both 720 and 1080. I also believe that the ability to stream in 1080p was one of the things that was advertised with the new app if memory serves.

That's my experience with the Roku 2 XD(2011), the Roku 1(2013), and the Roku 2(2013). So I can't speak for the Roku 3.
You must be logged in to post.