First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
White People for Michael Brown in Canada...Or Not?
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/29/14
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
It is stupid that they are putting restrictions on non-black protestors at this one protest. But what I hate the most about it is that it will give more ammo to the stupid racists in my country (the typical white racists in America; whites who are anti Jews/blacks/Hispanics/etc.).
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/27/14
why the fuck is this still a race thing and not a government corruption and law enforcement misuse thing? like really? can we not look at the bigger picture here?

but i really love how they say "oh white people are so racist" and yet they dont want white people to take a leading role in trying to correct the ills of their country.

GG

*edit*

I really like the "stand between us and the police" rule. So I guess "white/non black allies" Are only good as body shields then huh? fucking retarded...

This is the kind of general stupidity that makes me want to jump off a cliff into a vat of acid.


24014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/28/14
It's probably "still a race thing" because the people who are in fact, corrupt and tend to misuse law enforcement are straight up using their position in law enforcement to dehumanize and discriminate against people of colour.

White people are racist - that's not to say they're all racist. Big difference.
However, white people are disproportionately represented in the police forces in north america, and people of colour; specifically are targeted by said white people in law enforcement - yes, wildly disproportionately. Please look up stop and frisk, please read up on the percentage of black drug users versus white drug users and their rates of incarceration. These are not pleasant things to consider because it means that you will have to come to the realization that you benefit from your whiteness. You will not be treated as harshly by a law enforcement official for the same crime than if you were a black person. Your knee jerk reaction to this does not help anyone. Try having some empathy.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that white people shouldn't be showing solidarity and helping the cause of bringing some sort of social change. The point is that people of colour want the world to see their anger and frustration and tears of having this sort of thing happen day in, day out for hundreds of years (slavery) and even after the civil rights movement. Your life is not devalued and you are not dehumanized the way people of colour have been and continue to be. They would like for this to be a moment when the world sees their naked pain and says, that could be me - why have I let it come to this? Ta Nehisi Coates is a fabulous source for some of the socially sanctioned ways that black people have been kept at the bottom rung of society.

When you say you want white people to have a lead in this issue - why? Where were you before all this? These are issues that the black community is affected by the most! Why should they not have the lead in this, when history has taught them that white people by and large will deny that anything is wrong and bend over backwards to protect the transgressors? Why is so bad that they ask for a little bit of understanding and ask you to step aside and help ? Is your voice more important than theirs? That you would focus more on the fact that you're not allowed to be upfront and centre, be publicly acknowledged and commended at a protest kinda says a lot about why you're there in the first place no? There is a risk for the media to focus on the awesome white people (who are awesome for their help and support) and ignore the actual crux of the matter.

Anyway, I've come out of lurkage and gone on too long. Please understand that this is in no way saying that you have the same intentions as those who commit such racist crimes - but to sit back and let it happen and then want to be catapulted to the front when it because obvious that something has indeed gone unaddressed by everyone until now is disingenuous.

P.S: It is NOT racist if you live your life without fear of being discriminated because of your whiteness. And no, being told nicely to let black people be the ones most prominent in a cause that affects them the most is emphatically not racism. You shouldn't want to help people only if you're going to do it your way and only if everyone makes sure to mention how awesome it is that you're helping. Of course it's nice to be acknowledged, but to make that the one reason that convinces you to drop your support for such a worthy cause kinda says that you weren't really into ending systemic, entrenched, soul crushing racism anyway.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/28/14
I live in a Country with 92% majority being black and only 3 of the remaining percent being white. There are 2 white cops on my island. 2 out of the 600 or so. I have gotten pulled over and searched for cocaine (Because im white and apparently only white people do coke. I have been nearly arrested twice on false charges but they left after a friend of mine on the police force told them to stop fucking around to meet their quotas.

Trust me, I fucking know what it feels like to be the person discriminated against.

People seem to think North America is the entirety of the world and don't realize shit isn't the same every where else; I'm simply getting sick and fucking tired of this white hate and this pathetic generalization of whites being the only racists people. Everyone race has racists. Except the people being discriminated against are the ones who are not in control of the government.

It seems that when a black person kills a white kid, no one bats an eye, but if its the other way around, theirs riots in the streets where people are vandalizing innocent peoples businesses.

I dont discriminate against others, and im not racist, but it seems like, if i dont agree with people in thinking all white people are bad, then i'm a racist.
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/27/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

People seem to think North America is the entirety of the world and don't realize shit isn't the same every where else;

I'm simply getting sick and fucking tired of this white hate and this pathetic generalization of whites being the only racists people.

Everyone race has racists.


It seems that when a black person kills a white kid, no one bats an eye, but if its the other way around, theirs riots in the streets where people are vandalizing innocent peoples businesses.


51519 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

I live in a Country with 92% majority being black and only 3 of the remaining percent being white. There are 2 white cops on my island. 2 out of the 600 or so. I have gotten pulled over and searched for cocaine (Because im white and apparently only white people do coke. I have been nearly arrested twice on false charges but they left after a friend of mine on the police force told them to stop fucking around to meet their quotas.

Trust me, I fucking know what it feels like to be the person discriminated against.

People seem to think North America is the entirety of the world and don't realize shit isn't the same every where else; I'm simply getting sick and fucking tired of this white hate and this pathetic generalization of whites being the only racists people. Everyone race has racists. Except the people being discriminated against are the ones who are not in control of the government.

It seems that when a black person kills a white kid, no one bats an eye, but if its the other way around, theirs riots in the streets where people are vandalizing innocent peoples businesses.

I dont discriminate against others, and im not racist, but it seems like, if i dont agree with people in thinking all white people are bad, then i'm a racist.


Well usually when a black guy kills someone, they get arrested before investigating the circumstances. When a white cop kills someone in an extremely controversial shooting, they get paid and told "good job!" If Wilson was arrested the day he killed Michael Brown, this wouldn't be national or world news. It also doesn't help that Wilson previously came from a police department that was disbanded for being too racist and the one he currently works at has a history of getting away with discriminating against blacks (with the help of a prosecutor with deep roots to that department and whose father was an officer killed by a black guy). The rioters are just thugs who take advantage of the situation and instigate some conflicts just so they can steal a bottle of orange soda. Not even joking. There was a group of looters coming out of a store with nothing but orange soda... People weren't rioting in the name of Michael Brown. The people rioting couldn't care less about this issue. They were only there to take advantage of the people who actually were there protesting in the name of Michael Brown.

As for the OP:
Clearly an isolated group of idiots doing something stupid is representative of the entire movement, right? If that's not what you're saying, than I don't know what the point of bringing up that article was. Not letting white people have full participation is silly and unreasonable. The idiots who made that rule aren't doing themselves or anyone else any favors.
75434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / F / Center of the Uni...
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/27/14

jungledeen wrote:


Would you concede at least that, however valid your well worded concerns, the actual event was poorly worded and has bad optics?

don't you think it's a little counter intuitive to tell a native Canadian 'ally' (who are probably more widely victimized than blacks in this country) "back of the bus"? Canada has a lot of non-white folk who are also non-black and who might realistically want to protest racism as well.

Justify it as much as you like it's still taking a protest against racism and throwing up dividing lines based on race. This strikes me as counter intuitive.

37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14 , edited 11/27/14

PhantomGundam wrote:



Yeah, like PhantomGundam pointed out...black person kills a white person...they get busted, they get a harsh penalty...white officer kills a black person...a lot of times (most times?) the cop gets off scott-free or with a slap on the wrist. The two things you are comparing are not equivalent in America. This Ferguson thing happened basically because this shit happens ALL THE TIME in America. For decades, very often, black people have been totally getting the shit end of the stick by cops and law enforcement and many of them have died at the hands of cops in situations where lethal force wasn't necessary. For many cops in America, they see a black person, and they think 'suspect' right off the bat. A lot of them see black people as extra threatening and extra dangerous. This is basically how it is.
Posted 11/27/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote: can we not look at the bigger picture here?


what bigger picture?




20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/27/14


Government and law enforcement corruption as a whole, not just racism in those aspects of the country.
37527 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Why? This is a very specific thing that is a very significant thing. The way law enforcement in America regards black citizens on the whole...it is definitely skewed and puts black people, in general, to a real disadvantage. I'm a white person in America, and just focusing on the matter of law enforcement alone, I don't have to worry about lots of things that black citizens do have to worry about and/or face.
Posted 11/27/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:



Government and law enforcement corruption as a whole, not just racism in those aspects of the country.


the next best thing is a new world order.
Sogno- 
45762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 11/27/14
Canada?
Posted 11/27/14

Sogno- wrote:

Canada?


You forgot the "eh".
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.