Musts for a first time convention attendee
5651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/28/14
What are some do's and don'ts for my first anime convention, coming up in a few months.
4072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/14 , edited 1/28/15
Ill give you my checklist and tips i used to survive my first con
Checklist:
-Snacks (granola bars preferably)
-DEODORANT
-Comfortable shoes (Match with cosplay if wearing one but must be comfortable)
-Camera (Must have for all the amazing cosplayers)
-Cosplay (If wearing one)

That is my basic list i keep i can go into full detail if you wish

Tips:
-Comfortable shoes; As i said in the checklist you need shoes you are comfortable walking around in all day, Cosplay or not your feet will not forgive you after a con with non-comfortable shoes
-Patience; If you are in cosplay people are going to want picture! So have pacience for them and chances are if one person takes pictures ALOT of people will join in. If you arent in cosplay you might want to take pictures and you have to respect and wait if people need the time. Also if there are lines or people blocking you just wait it out they are trying to have fun
-EAT!!; Cons are very stressing on your body, you wont feel hungry most of the time because you are so excited but make sure to eat properly or you wont be able to keep up with everything
-Manage; You are going to want to see and buy everything in sight but you have to use this wisely. Wait till youre last day to buy anything that way youre not carrying around something and if something cooler comes out at a later time you will have money. Also you are going to want to see everything, trust me. Try and plan ahead with a schedule they give you before the con that way youre not rushing all over trying to get to stuff
Panels; Panels are usualy filled up fast so try and get there early. Depending on the con and how big the event you might want to get there 30 minutes to an hour early so you can get a good spot
Deodorant; as i said before DEODORANT!!! Alot of people forget this step and end up bothering weveryone because hances are you are going to sweat
People; There are alot of fun people at conventions with ALOT of the same interests. If you find one of these people you will be best friends instantly. Make sure you have a social media ready to give them because you never want to give people your phone number when you first meet them. Ok people do give numbers out upon meeting but it isnt wise. Email works fine to
HAVE FUN!!!; PEOPLE OFTEN FORGET THIS STEP BECAUSE THEY WANT TO EXPERIANCE EVERYTHING. dont sweat it Chances are you wont see half the stuff there. ITS YOURE FIRST CON Thats why you go back next year and see all of it and more!!!

I hoped this helped. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask and if i could what con are you going to? I might just see you
5651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 11/28/14

Kiritogamer wrote:

Ill give you my checklist and tips i used to survive my first con
Checklist:
-Snacks (granola bars preferably)
-DEODORANT
-Comfortable shoes (Match with cosplay if wearing one but must be comfortable)
-Camera (Must have for all the amazing cosplayers)
-Cosplay (If wearing one)

That is my basic list i keep i can go into full detail if you wish

Tips:
-Comfortable shoes; As i said in the checklist you need shoes you are comfortable walking around in all day, Cosplay or not your feet will not forgive you after a con with non-comfortable shoes
-Patience; If you are in cosplay people are going to want picture! So have pacience for them and chances are if one person takes pictures ALOT of people will join in. If you arent in cosplay you might want to take pictures and you have to respect and wait if people need the time. Also if there are lines or people blocking you just wait it out they are trying to have fun
-EAT!!; Cons are very stressing on your body, you wont feel hungry most of the time because you are so excited but make sure to eat properly or you wont be able to keep up with everything
-Manage; You are going to want to see and buy everything in sight but you have to use this wisely. Wait till youre last day to buy anything that way youre not carrying around something and if something cooler comes out at a later time you will have money. Also you are going to want to see everything, trust me. Try and plan ahead with a schedule they give you before the con that way youre not rushing all over trying to get to stuff
Panels; Panels are usualy filled up fast so try and get there early. Depending on the con and how big the event you might want to get there 30 minutes to an hour early so you can get a good spot
Deodorant; as i said before DEODORANT!!! Alot of people forget this step and end up bothering weveryone because hances are you are going to sweat
People; There are alot of fun people at conventions with ALOT of the same interests. If you find one of these people you will be best friends instantly. Make sure you have a social media ready to give them because you never want to give people your phone number when you first meet them. Ok people do give numbers out upon meeting but it isnt wise. Email works fine to
HAVE FUN!!!; PEOPLE OFTEN FORGET THIS STEP BECAUSE THEY WANT TO EXPERIANCE EVERYTHING. dont sweat it Chances are you wont see half the stuff there. ITS YOURE FIRST CON Thats why you go back next year and see all of it and more!!!

I hoped this helped. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask and if i could what con are you going to? I might just see you


I'll note all of this. Thanks a ton!
4072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 11/28/14
No problem
4072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 11/29/14
I also recomend this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-cvdzBhZco
14934 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 1/28/15
Take the time to start preparing for your convention weeks ahead of the event. Do not wait until the night before.

Start taking multivitamins to boost your immune system a good two weeks before the con. People will cough and sneeze on you, and cough and sneeze on others and items around them. You will touch said items. Bring instant hand sanitizer and USE it.

If you're planning on driving to the con and staying overnight, consider bringing a good supply of HEALTHY food with you. I usually just bring breakfast foods (fruit, cereal, milk) since I'm not much of a breakfast eater. Make sure you eat at least one solid, healthy meal a day, but two is more ideal. Do not rely on McDonalds and Burger King to supply you with what you need to last you through the con - You need to eat a balanced meal, not just what's on the dollar menu. If you're driving, pack a few cases of water and something to snack on while at the con. I usually go through about 3-4 water bottles a day at conventions, and the snacks are great if you know you're going to be stuck in panels and lines all day. If you're flying and rooming with others, ask a roomie who is planning on driving to pick up some food for you (and pay them back!). Not only is bringing your own stuff cheaper than trying to buy it in overpriced downtown areas, it'll save you some time since you won't have to travel and wait in line to get those items. When I fly, I not only pack a reusable water bottle, but a Brita pitcher. This allows me and the roomies to have a constant supply of free, purified water at the room. I fill up my bottle once a day. Some cons, especially your smaller hotel based cons like PMX, offer free water at the con. But large cons, like AX, don't and you'll end up paying a good $3-5 per bottle of water.

Unless you travel a lot for a living and are used to packing at the drop of a hat, I recommend making a list of items that you'll need and checking those off as you pack them. If you're sharing a room, try to travel as light as possible as your space will be limited. I recommend bringing the clothes that you need, and maybe one extra item of everything (just in case your travel plans get delayed).

Go through the con schedule the night before and prioritize the events that you want to see/attend. Stick with that schedule. At big cons like AX and Otakon, there's far too much going on for you to do everything, so it's best to prioritize what events mean the most to you and attend those.

Other than that, just relax and try to have as much fun as possible.
14525 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / US
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/28/15
A lot has already been said above but here's some advice that might be helpful...

1. If you're planning on going to a 3-day convention, remember Saturday will be the busiest day. The lines will be long especially if it's a popular panel. It's good to get in line early so that you won't be turned away because the panel filled up. As for autograph signing, some cons charge while some don't so know ahead of time. Also no matter what day it is, voice actor picture taking and autograph signing will be long.
2. If you're going with others make sure your phone is charged to keep in touch. (This was my mistake )

3. Whenever you have free time try going around the convention to learn where everything is.

4. (You've already heard this but) Make sure to have a budget and don't forget to have fun.
4072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 1/22/15
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzjkArl_08&index=6&list=FLdq1Pz6UbeBJ7Xo2_HXSdyQ
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 1/23/15


Great video.

Really helpful tips, wished i had them when I 1st went.

Here's a few additional from me to help new comers out.

1. Keep weight to a minimum. I know you want all the comforts and piece of mind like an extra charger, headphones, etc. Just remember that you have to carry it all day with you. There are places you can pay to leave the bags but I personally prefer to keep it with me.
You also have to keep in mind what your bag will weigh by the end of the con. Remember that anything you buy or surprisingly win will add to the weight even if you finish of all your food & drink in the bag. Actually got a movie poster signed by both directors, only issue was getting it home, since its the rare extra large version. Spent the whole last 5 mins of the con looking for either a box or elastic band to hold it.
In short, choose wisely what it is you really need that way you're not carrying too much.

2. Have a friend or family member. This is not only to have a familiar face and keep you from being bored in the queues/wait time. It helps you to have more than 1 pair of eyes to find the panels, signings and stalls you're after. It also helps remind you that it's for both of you or for whole group. So take time to enjoy as much for everyone as possible. It also helps to have a family/friend there so that you can avoid blowing your top. Lord knows i nearly blew my top at people who jumped queues & ended things earlier than planned, thus missing out even though we queued.
Trust me, there's a time to rightfully complain and let your views be known, but you need someone with you so that you don't cause a scene or get kicked out.

3. Food. Do not assume that just because it has a stall/shop you like it will stock what you like. London excel centre does have a subway store but it only stocks 1/5 of it's food & doesn't have facilities to warm/toast it, so it's mostly veg only.
In other-words, don't assume there will be food at the event but likewise don't over do it.
Have sweets, energy drinks, water to keep your energy up and hydrated but don't forget basic food like a sandwich, or meat or stable foods. Sweets are nice but quick energy doesn't last and you don't want to be drained during the day.
Also, don't forget to try something new as long as you don't break the bank. You never know, you might just find something you absolutely love.

4. Health. Don't forget some paracetamol/flu tablets. It doesn't hurt to have like tissues. Remember that there will be someone there who has a cold and it helps to nip it early. Also remember to have handy wipes of some sort. You can't always nip to the loo for the sink, especially if you're queuing. Also watch you're step, happens more often then you'd believe, that people are sick or accidents happen. You just have to watch where you go.

5. Planning a schedule. You have to except that you won't get to see everything. That's why you need to prioritise what you truly want to see/do. Go over the guide book/show guide, it's rare for last minute changes though it does happen. Choose the things that you really wish to do but remember to give time to get across the event hall as well as time to queue or get to panels early. People tend to wing it, though this usually ends up meaning they miss out on it or something else. Always plan what you want most, that way if you do miss some, you still get the ones you truly want & you sometimes get more than you planned.
Many times I got not only what i wanted but got surprised extras. Nightshade manga being one of them & meeting the actor of Pike from Dad's army.

6. Stick to a budget. Seriously, I made a rookie mistake by a, not having enough money with in 1st place & b, thinking every stall excepted cards. Most nowadays will except cards and they have card machines there, but remember they charge for the machines & queues will be ridiculous. Please keep the amount as low as you can, there are pickpockets out there who'll see events as goldmines. Keeping a budget is hard but rewarding, you can save big money and still get the items you want. If you have 3g/internet you can check the prices against the stall with online retailers. Saved over £200 doing it this way. That way you can preorder what's cheaper online and get what's better value at the stall. Also remember weight and bulk. It's fine getting all the boxsets/complete collections & exclusives, just remember a bag is finite in space and weight. Don't want to sound like a party wrecker, sad fact is i did it, nearly breaking the very dvd/bluray set i wanted so badly. So keep it safe in your bag & restrict your purchases. You may feel bad on missing out some things, but your wallet & bag will thank you.

7. Personal. An odd one but keep your stuff safe. Don't advertise what you have on you so don't get all your cash out when making a purchase. Keep your pockets zipped and/or covered, if thieves don't see it, it's harder for them to take. Choose your cosplay well, some events are more heated & crowded than others, so if you get flustered more than others. Choose a costume you can remove pieces so you can cool off. I tend to go as the 4th doctor aka tom baker, this way i can remove the scarf & hat for panels so others can see & i'm not melting with it on all day. Hence my other suggestion, deo will go a long way, there is no shame in using it.
Also check your bag, don't do it every half hour but repeatedly check your stuff, it pays to keep tabs on where things are in your bag, especially for busy cons like london.

8. Area. I do recommend for the big cons to stop overnight & have multiple days. Even with three days, you will miss something, especially the limited seated sessions. It also pays to have a hotel close to the event. You can travel down to the event in the same city but expect delays/tube lines to be packed and the dreaded early mornings if you venture further for a hotel. Don't book on the day of event or leave it too late. You need to plan it out as early as possible, since most rooms go within day of tickets being available. Having a hotel further can give you something to do like explore the city but remember if your cosplaying or bought quite a bit, you don't want to be out with it too long. You never know who's out there and it's far easier for pickpockets/thieves to strike when you're busy like catching a train and can tell your not a local.
So it doesn't hurt to have a look at the nearby area on a map, helpful to have stations within reach, stock up on food/drinks for next day event when it's not busy 1st thing in the morning. Also pays to know if it's accessible on foot, the last thing you want is more walking and standing but it works out better to walk than be crowded on the platform fighting for breathing spaces. This way you can get group cosplay pictures while meeting fellow anime friends & fellow admirers of similar franchises.
Lastly, don't forget to enjoy the city. You may be too tired or too late for some of the sights/things of the city. Yet there's plenty to do after the con. Have a meet up with friends, enjoy a meal be it takeaway or a restaurant, explore the well light shopping parts of the city, have a seat in some of the famous cinemas with the new hollywood blockbuster or catch a classic. Recommend the D-box at the 02 in london, get to visit the dome & experience 4-d cinema with seats to the action. Godzilla was friggin awesome with it.
Ultimately, do the thing you want to do. Enjoy yourself and have great fun with everyone in the group. Just cause the con is over, doesn't mean the fun is over. It's actually a holiday/weekend out, so have an exciting time.


Sorry to make them long, not my intent but the point is make it easier for yourself. That way you get maximum enjoyment!
4072 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F
Offline
Posted 1/23/15

DalekCaan wrote:



Great video.

Really helpful tips, wished i had them when I 1st went.

Here's a few additional from me to help new comers out.

1. Keep weight to a minimum. I know you want all the comforts and piece of mind like an extra charger, headphones, etc. Just remember that you have to carry it all day with you. There are places you can pay to leave the bags but I personally prefer to keep it with me.
You also have to keep in mind what your bag will weigh by the end of the con. Remember that anything you buy or surprisingly win will add to the weight even if you finish of all your food & drink in the bag. Actually got a movie poster signed by both directors, only issue was getting it home, since its the rare extra large version. Spent the whole last 5 mins of the con looking for either a box or elastic band to hold it.
In short, choose wisely what it is you really need that way you're not carrying too much.

2. Have a friend or family member. This is not only to have a familiar face and keep you from being bored in the queues/wait time. It helps you to have more than 1 pair of eyes to find the panels, signings and stalls you're after. It also helps remind you that it's for both of you or for whole group. So take time to enjoy as much for everyone as possible. It also helps to have a family/friend there so that you can avoid blowing your top. Lord knows i nearly blew my top at people who jumped queues & ended things earlier than planned, thus missing out even though we queued.
Trust me, there's a time to rightfully complain and let your views be known, but you need someone with you so that you don't cause a scene or get kicked out.

3. Food. Do not assume that just because it has a stall/shop you like it will stock what you like. London excel centre does have a subway store but it only stocks 1/5 of it's food & doesn't have facilities to warm/toast it, so it's mostly veg only.
In other-words, don't assume there will be food at the event but likewise don't over do it.
Have sweets, energy drinks, water to keep your energy up and hydrated but don't forget basic food like a sandwich, or meat or stable foods. Sweets are nice but quick energy doesn't last and you don't want to be drained during the day.
Also, don't forget to try something new as long as you don't break the bank. You never know, you might just find something you absolutely love.

4. Health. Don't forget some paracetamol/flu tablets. It doesn't hurt to have like tissues. Remember that there will be someone there who has a cold and it helps to nip it early. Also remember to have handy wipes of some sort. You can't always nip to the loo for the sink, especially if you're queuing. Also watch you're step, happens more often then you'd believe, that people are sick or accidents happen. You just have to watch where you go.

5. Planning a schedule. You have to except that you won't get to see everything. That's why you need to prioritise what you truly want to see/do. Go over the guide book/show guide, it's rare for last minute changes though it does happen. Choose the things that you really wish to do but remember to give time to get across the event hall as well as time to queue or get to panels early. People tend to wing it, though this usually ends up meaning they miss out on it or something else. Always plan what you want most, that way if you do miss some, you still get the ones you truly want & you sometimes get more than you planned.
Many times I got not only what i wanted but got surprised extras. Nightshade manga being one of them & meeting the actor of Pike from Dad's army.

6. Stick to a budget. Seriously, I made a rookie mistake by a, not having enough money with in 1st place & b, thinking every stall excepted cards. Most nowadays will except cards and they have card machines there, but remember they charge for the machines & queues will be ridiculous. Please keep the amount as low as you can, there are pickpockets out there who'll see events as goldmines. Keeping a budget is hard but rewarding, you can save big money and still get the items you want. If you have 3g/internet you can check the prices against the stall with online retailers. Saved over £200 doing it this way. That way you can preorder what's cheaper online and get what's better value at the stall. Also remember weight and bulk. It's fine getting all the boxsets/complete collections & exclusives, just remember a bag is finite in space and weight. Don't want to sound like a party wrecker, sad fact is i did it, nearly breaking the very dvd/bluray set i wanted so badly. So keep it safe in your bag & restrict your purchases. You may feel bad on missing out some things, but your wallet & bag will thank you.

7. Personal. An odd one but keep your stuff safe. Don't advertise what you have on you so don't get all your cash out when making a purchase. Keep your pockets zipped and/or covered, if thieves don't see it, it's harder for them to take. Choose your cosplay well, some events are more heated & crowded than others, so if you get flustered more than others. Choose a costume you can remove pieces so you can cool off. I tend to go as the 4th doctor aka tom baker, this way i can remove the scarf & hat for panels so others can see & i'm not melting with it on all day. Hence my other suggestion, deo will go a long way, there is no shame in using it.
Also check your bag, don't do it every half hour but repeatedly check your stuff, it pays to keep tabs on where things are in your bag, especially for busy cons like london.

8. Area. I do recommend for the big cons to stop overnight & have multiple days. Even with three days, you will miss something, especially the limited seated sessions. It also pays to have a hotel close to the event. You can travel down to the event in the same city but expect delays/tube lines to be packed and the dreaded early mornings if you venture further for a hotel. Don't book on the day of event or leave it too late. You need to plan it out as early as possible, since most rooms go within day of tickets being available. Having a hotel further can give you something to do like explore the city but remember if your cosplaying or bought quite a bit, you don't want to be out with it too long. You never know who's out there and it's far easier for pickpockets/thieves to strike when you're busy like catching a train and can tell your not a local.
So it doesn't hurt to have a look at the nearby area on a map, helpful to have stations within reach, stock up on food/drinks for next day event when it's not busy 1st thing in the morning. Also pays to know if it's accessible on foot, the last thing you want is more walking and standing but it works out better to walk than be crowded on the platform fighting for breathing spaces. This way you can get group cosplay pictures while meeting fellow anime friends & fellow admirers of similar franchises.
Lastly, don't forget to enjoy the city. You may be too tired or too late for some of the sights/things of the city. Yet there's plenty to do after the con. Have a meet up with friends, enjoy a meal be it takeaway or a restaurant, explore the well light shopping parts of the city, have a seat in some of the famous cinemas with the new hollywood blockbuster or catch a classic. Recommend the D-box at the 02 in london, get to visit the dome & experience 4-d cinema with seats to the action. Godzilla was friggin awesome with it.
Ultimately, do the thing you want to do. Enjoy yourself and have great fun with everyone in the group. Just cause the con is over, doesn't mean the fun is over. It's actually a holiday/weekend out, so have an exciting time.


Sorry to make them long, not my intent but the point is make it easier for yourself. That way you get maximum enjoyment!


Amazing advice, i wish i had these tips too. There are also some ive never thought of. Ive been to a couple cons but ill also keep these things in mind to xD
2450 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / The heart of Linc...
Offline
Posted 1/27/15

Kiritogamer wrote:



Amazing advice, i wish i had these tips too. There are also some ive never thought of. Ive been to a couple cons but ill also keep these things in mind to xD



My pleasure, there's always things we never think of. I now try to find a store near the hotel, that way I don't have to pay ridiculous amount or carry everything on day 1. I still tend to pack too much but thankfully it usually helps.

Been to a few now but still manage to find something new to think of. Like the last London con, my brother did some fan art from rvb/rwby the only prob was a fizzy drink went off and damaged it. Thankfully it dried out but I now keep two copies to sign.

I also recommend to those who want signings to have a picture, or something to be signed. Most cons have free/paid signings which are awesome but not every con has it nor does every actor/actress do their own. Thus if you can, make your own or bring something you want signing. I know it adds to the weight and bulk of the bag but sometimes a personal item makes it more wonderful.

Got my own legion from mass effect picture signed and a combination of Bryce's characters. He was shocked i found out his newest character in space dandy.

If you can, prepare it before you go to the con. It's not always possible with last minute guests, yet it helps if you can do it early instead of last minute. Just don't forget sleeves and a folder to keep the safe on your journey about.
5130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Southern California
Offline
Posted 1/27/15
A lot of good advice already, but I will add my two cents

Make checklists for everything and always double check them if you are traveling to a con and will be staying onsite. Unless you are going to go back home at the end of each day, it would be a bummer to find out you're missing a key part of a costume or a charger for one of your gadgets. This is just me, but I have an insane number of checklists to go through when packing for a convention I'm staying at (one for each costume as well as general needs)

Make sure you bring chargers for your phone, DS/3DS, camera and MP3 player

When you're walking around the con, pack light. You'll want to have your phone and a camera on you but other items like an MP3 player aren't necessary. If you have a DS, larger conventions are great for streetpassing!

SHOWER and practice proper hygeine! I don't know why some people seem to have a hard time with this, but it only takes a few moments out of the day to clean up and other attendees will be spared from one less instance of con funk

SLEEP! Yes, there's a lot going on sometimes throughout the night at a con, but conventions are marathons and you'll need energy to get through the weekend.

Food...bring food if you can to save money, but most importantly...do not rely on Pocky and Instant Ramen, they will not sustain you.
Posted 1/28/15
You all so heeeeelpful. :3 Thank you so much!
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 11/6/16
Event is way over please look forward to 2017!
You must be logged in to post.