First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
The truth about Corporal Punishment, proof.
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 11/29/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

One of my friends was molested as a child, and she turned out fine. Does that mean she should molest her future children? Just saying. To infer that it is an all or nothing (Either they all become messed up or they all turned out fine) is highly absurd. We can only note the general trend to which it points to and decide whether or not it is likely to be harmful. Every individual case is different after all.


Did she deserve to be molested?

Your analogy and logic are amusing to behold sometimes.


And you're saying these children deserve to be hit? That is probably where you and I differ. We could all say they deserve something, but to what extent depends on the individual. I don't believe for a second a harmful practice should be repeated regardless of the previous outcome. You missed the point of my analogy there.



P.S. You seem to dislike me for some reason.
Also, I'll make a fine line between abuse and this "corporal punishment" you people speak of.
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 11/29/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

And you're saying these children deserve to be hit? That is probably where you and I differ.

P.S. You seem to dislike me for some reason.


1) I never talked about anyone but myself.
2) I did not suggest corporal punishment to anyone.
3) I simply said I had no problem with it.

If that makes you feel morally superior to me, then good for you. But antagonizing me to make yourself look good is pretty pathetic in my view.

**I do not dislike you. This isn't personal. You just seem to try and engage me as if you have something to prove and that annoys me just a little bit.
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 11/29/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

And you're saying these children deserve to be hit? That is probably where you and I differ.

P.S. You seem to dislike me for some reason.


1) I never talked about anyone but myself.
2) I did not suggest corporal punishment to anyone.
3) I simply said I had no problem with it.

If that makes you feel morally superior to me, then good for you. But antagonizing me to make yourself look good is pretty pathetic in my view.

**I do not dislike you. This isn't personal. You just seem to try and engage me as if you have something to prove and that annoys me just a little bit.


Sorry, thought we were having a good debate early this Saturday morning. I apologize if it appears I am trying to engage you or anything. Yet, I believe you said "if they clearly deserved it", which led me to believe you were okay with corporal punishment if it were deserved. I differ from you as I believe it is never deserved at all, even for the most egregious of offenses.

P.S. You seem to almost endorse it, but I see you are merely ambivalent on the issue.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/29/14
I had an extremely abusive stepfather, and that caused me to develop several anxiety's and mental health issues.

However, via medication and extensive therapy during my high-school years I am nearly 100% better, except I still suffer alot of social anxiety and issues being around other guys.


I strongly agree with the sentiment "corporal punishment is detrimental to a child's health and mental state".


Teaching a child to behave by beating the shit out of them is pretty counter intuitive. "im going to teach you not to hit people by hitting you myself"
Posted 11/29/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:

I had an extremely abusive stepfather, and that caused me to develop several anxiety's and mental health issues.

However, via medication and extensive therapy during my high-school years I am nearly 100% better, except I still suffer alot of social anxiety and issues being around other guys.


I strongly agree with the sentiment "corporal punishment is detrimental to a child's health and mental state".


Teaching a child to behave by beating the shit out of them is pretty counter intuitive. "im going to teach you not to hit people by hitting you myself"


I imagine a counter argument would be "that's not corporal punishment, that's abuse. There's a difference between abusing your child and disciplining them".
Just saying, some believe there is a difference, and that to trivialize abuse as discipline is just plain wrong.
20192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / The Heroes Associ...
Offline
Posted 11/29/14


The only difference is the severity of it.

One of the first schools i went to was a christian school and the teachers would beat the shit out of you for misbehaving. My grades dropped to d's and f's because of lack of motivation. I got into trouble all the time because i just didn't care.

Most people don't know when they cross the line between corporal punishment and abuse. Most of the times, the tears of the children are ignored and yet those tears are the things secretly screaming out for relief.
Posted 11/29/14

AzazelOfNexium wrote:



The only difference is the severity of it.

One of the first schools i went to was a christian school and the teachers would beat the shit out of you for misbehaving. My grades dropped to d's and f's because of lack of motivation. I got into trouble all the time because i just didn't care.

Most people don't know when they cross the line between corporal punishment and abuse. Most of the times, the tears of the children are ignored and yet those tears are the things secretly screaming out for relief.


I am not necessarily disagreeing with you, just observing what argument would be used for use in further debates.
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 1/11/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

1) Sorry, thought we were having a good debate early this Saturday morning. I apologize if it appears I am trying to engage you or anything. Yet, 2) I believe you said "if they clearly deserved it", which led me to believe you were okay with corporal punishment if it were deserved. I differ from you as I believe it is never deserved at all, even for the most egregious of offenses.

P.S. 3) You seem to almost endorse it, but I see you are merely ambivalent on the issue.


1) I don't know what your idea of a debate is, but you did not try to have a debate with me. This isn't even a discussion. You made my statement appear foolish and ridiculous for no reason other than to make your opinion sound better. If you had wanted to disagree, you could have done so in a way that I would actually be interested in hearing what you have to say. For example: "Even if you turned out just fine, it doesn't mean that everyone would have the same results or won't view the experience negatively. Blah blah blah.." See that? I can even have a better debate with myself than with you. /facepalm

2) Go back and read what I wrote. All 1st person pronouns. The only 3rd person pronoun you will find is the word "it," and I used it to refer to corporal punishment, not anyone else. So I don't know where you got that quote "if they clearly deserved it", but that was not from me.

3) This is my biggest problem with people who have a clear bias from the beginning. You look and you take other people's words and twist them around in your head so you can attach to it whatever meaning you wish. I simply stated an opinion based on my personal experience. I didn't endorse it. I didn't say it was good. I didn't even apply it to anyone else. All I concluded with was that I don't have a problem with it if the punishment was well-deserved, which of course is subjective, but I am again just talking from my own viewpoint here.

P.S. If you knew me as child, I'm pretty sure you would think I deserved it too. Heck, even I knew that.
Posted 11/29/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

1) Sorry, thought we were having a good debate early this Saturday morning. I apologize if it appears I am trying to engage you or anything. Yet, 2) I believe you said "if they clearly deserved it", which led me to believe you were okay with corporal punishment if it were deserved. I differ from you as I believe it is never deserved at all, even for the most egregious of offenses.

P.S. 3) You seem to almost endorse it, but I see you are merely ambivalent on the issue.


1) I don't know what your idea of a debate is, but you did not try to have a debate with me. This isn't even a discussion. You made my statement appear foolish and ridiculous for no reason other than to make your opinion sound better. If you had wanted to disagree, you could have done so in a way that I would actually be interested in hearing what you have to say. For example: "Even if you turned out just fine, it doesn't mean that everyone would have the same results or won't view the experience negatively. Blah blah blah.." See that? I can even have a better debate with myself than with you. /facepalm

2) Go back and read what I wrote. All 1st person pronouns. The only 3rd person pronoun you will find is the word "it," and I used it to refer to corporal punishment, not anyone else. So I don't know where you got that quote "if they clearly deserved it", but that was not from me.

3) This is my biggest problem with people who have a clear bias from the beginning. You look and you take other people's words and twist them around in your head so you can attach to it whatever meaning you wish. I simply stated an opinion based on my personal experience. I didn't endorse it. I didn't say it was good. I didn't even apply it to anyone else. All I concluded with was that I don't have a problem with it if the punishment was well-deserved, which of course is subjective, but I am again just talking from my own viewpoint here.

P.S. If you knew me as child, I'm pretty sure you would think I deserved it too. Heck, even I knew that.


I concede, although I believe I did nothing wrong, it appears I can't help but step on toes apparently. Though I can assure you I was a worst child than you are.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 11/29/14

Sogno- wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes:
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.

Wow! wow! wow!

I speak severely to my boy,
I beat him when he sneezes;
For he can thoroughly enjoy
The pepper when he pleases!


did u write it

i like rhyming


alice in wonderland
17749 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 1/11/15
it works when done right. works onyl in the early years, tho.
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 11/29/14 , edited 1/11/15
Then what is a parent supposed to do? Do they ground the kid, do they say in a very sweet and sympathetic voice( Because some people may think if a parent raises their voice(not yell, but raises it to get a kids attention) then that too is child abuse)" No No Lil Johnny don't do that.", or do nothing and let the kid run wild? How should a parent parent?

From your profile you're my age and are probably not a parent. So I doubt you know what it's like to raise a kid and keep them from doing wrong. I'm not a parent and I have no idea how to raise a kid. I have however worked with kids as my first job. My school had an extended care and I watched the 2nd-4th graders and I'll be honest I never liked raising my voice or sitting them in timeout. Guess what happened? Most of them thought they could take advantage of me and do whatever they wanted. They never listened to me or obeyed when I asked them to do things( like homework or to be quiet in line). Why is that? Well it's because they never saw me as the one in charge. I've seen some pretty wild kids and their parents don't do anything to make them stop. I have nothing against you because it's your opinion, but I am curious to know how YOU would handle your child if they misbehaved.

Now I'll admit punishing a child can be taken too far, but there is a difference between spanking a child and beating a child. Spanking is just to be enough to get their attention, while beating a child results in bruises and other injures.

With spanking a parent should explain to kids that their actions are not appropriate and that there has to be a consequence for the bad behavior. A parent should enforce that a parent has to be a parent. It does not have to be an aggressive ill action on the part of the parent. A firm. but simple spank on the butt should be the attention getter of the child. Then the parent and child should sit together and calmly explain the actions of both the parent and child. It does not have to be threatening in any way. It's showing the love of the parent for the child to do the right thing for past, present and future.

Everything in life has consequences and a simple spanking shows that.

Remember not every case of a misbehaving child warrants a spanking.

Also a word of advice( Note I'm not trying to hate on you, but I'm giving you a little helpful advice). When giving an argument do not result to cuss words. It really does not help your side and makes you look very immature. While reading your argument I felt like you were ranting instead of trying to inform me about your views. Never have your argument seem like your ranting.

I should also mention that the YouTube comment about Halloween has no business being in your post. It's YouTube of all places and comments like that are more laughable than anything. Yeah I've heard how Halloween is of the devil and a Christian shouldn't celebrate it. If there is anything wrong with Halloween it's that nowadays it's all about checking for razor blades and suspicious candy. Meh I just say throw one big Halloween party or go to a haunted house. The trick or treating is rather boring anyway.
48409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 11/29/14
Posted 1/7/15
Can't say I saw this thread before or I just didn't bother clicking on it.

Doesn't seem to be very PG-13 though.
8701 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Definitely not EU
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15
Any parent who hits there kids don't deserve them and sent to prison. Just like the morons who drink and smoke/drugs while pregnant which causes a birth defect on the kid, should be taking away from them and sent to prison. Hearing the statement 'I bought you into this world -' should be taking as a threat to the child's safety and reported. Problem is all these little inbred families living in their closed off little worlds with their 'own rules under the roof' are just dumb as shit. One excuse I've heard is 'Well I grew up like this, so you are to'. Lmao. These people shouldn't even have kids, sometimes it's not even planned by they try go with it, and instead of learning or getting help they use what little experience they have and fail miserably. Fuck the lot of them.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.