First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Remove Anita Sarkeesian from ME2 dev team
46382 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/9/14
We all know the fact that Anita Sarkeesian isn't a gamer and as such I think that she souldn't be in any form of game development. The fact also remains that she wants to simplify games just because she can't play them.

So please sign this patition https://www.change.org/p/ea-games-remove-anita-sarkeesian-from-mirror-s-edge-2-game-development/share?just_signed=true
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14
While I too am somewhat worried about the effect she'll have on the game, I really don't see an internet petition changing much. I mean, do you really think we'll hear the news shortly after 'We decided to fire Anita from our development team due to an internet petition which got 10,000 signatures'? I don't see it stopping anything. In fact, the case with GTA 5 being pulled from Target shelves is the first time I recall an internet petition having an effect on anything gaming related.
19520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/8/14
I signed it. I had no idea she was part of that.. what in the hell is EA thinking? This walking plague should be NOWHERE near the development of any game.

If the petition does nothing.. well our wallets will speak for us. No way will we as true gamers support EA in making a game with this woman's input.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14
Does not she do the tropes versus women videos? While I can agree with some sentiments expressed in the videos, I thought she was a gamer. Her input should only affect the portrayal of females in the video game at best.
3600 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Chicagoland ~
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14
EA hasn't been any good in a long time anyways, so I don't particularly care. After she helps ruin an EA title and they kick her to the curb then everything'll go back to how it was. And EA will still suck.

edit// PeripheralVisionar - She said herself that she wasn't a gamer early on. It changed I think at some point because she probably felt that it was bad for her 'project'.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14

IshokuOsero wrote:

EA hasn't been any good in a long time anyways, so I don't particularly care. After she helps ruin an EA title and they kick her to the curb then everything'll go back to how it was. And EA will still suck.

edit// PeripheralVisionar - She said herself that she wasn't a gamer early on. It changed I think at some point because she probably felt that it was bad for her 'project'.


Oh, I see. I find her analysis of gaming tropes to be interesting nonetheless.
7493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / In a world that d...
Online
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/10/14
I didn't know she made it onto the Mirror's Edge 2 development team. I personally cant see why the industry keeps accepting her without critical evaluation; most of critical evaluations she has been subject to by Youtubers and independent writers are pretty damning.

She doesn't know anything about game development, nor does she know about their audience be they male or female. She doesn't even seem to play more than half of the source material she used in her videos and she's been known to take footage from Let's Plays off other Youtubers. She often quotes things out of context, sources things behind paywalls, and moves the goalposts so often that not even Kobe Bryant can get points. There's also the issue that Feminist Frequency didn't even file their 501(c) until years after they were founded, posing around as a not for profit even before then. She's also capitalized off of tragedies with her Twitter account to further her cause. She's just way too controversial for any business to even want to be within a 200 mile radius of her.

I should also add that her media critiques have been disassembled by prominent feminists such as Cathy Young and Christina Sommers that write for multiple publications and have books to their credit. They've caught her red handed citing faulty studies and provided evidence that she doesn't even understand the original context of parts of the works she criticizes.

They now have her on the development team of a AAA title that has been requested literally since the week of the original's release? Don't see the business sense in this. Gonna consider signing it.

I don't usually touch Sarkeesian because she's got literally an army of zealots out to get a witch hunt going in her defense, but this deserves comment.

Edit: Spelling, grammar I found out while rereading this.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/8/14

KisaiGate wrote:

I didn't know she made it onto the Mirror's Edge 2 development team. I personally cant see why the industry keeps accepting her without critical evaluation; most of critical evaluations she has been subject to by Youtubers and independent writers are pretty damning.


Because rape threats and general misogyny is something something ah I don't know what I am typing. She's no Andrea Dworkin, so I see little reason to hate her.

Edit:Read what you typed before I made this. Interesting. Perhaps I need to revise my opinion about this lady.
9376 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14
I never played the first Mirror's Edge... not sure if I was even planning on getting the second one anyway. Heck, for a second I thought ME2 was Mass Effect 2 and started thinking "another ancient thread unearthed?". Anyway, I've never watched one of those tropes vs women things and don't really care about anita whatshername. If the game looks decent enough and I have money I'll get it. If not then I won't.
9760 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Online
Posted 12/7/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Does not she do the tropes versus women videos? While I can agree with some sentiments expressed in the videos, I thought she was a gamer. Her input should only affect the portrayal of females in the video game at best.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afgtd8ZsXzI
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/9/14
You know, for someone who is so gung ho about being the face of feminism and this neo-suffrage brigade, I was surprised she disables comments on her Youtube videos, which are really sporadic and few and far between.


She pulls at straws a lot of the time, especially with the whole "Women as a backpiece" idea that women are only good for damsels in distress or look pieces.


I'm wary of feminism, but I don't condemn it, but Anita Sarkeesian is a phony, attention seeker whose only goal is to be a pain in society's ass.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14

AiYumega wrote:

You know, for someone who is so gung ho about being the face of feminism and this neo-suffrage brigade, I was surprised she disables comments on her Youtube videos, which are really sporadic and few and far between.


I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, have you heard of the scandal gamergate? I assume she was gamergate, if not, I am sorry I got that wrong. I don't think she deserved all that.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/7/14
I actually think that it would be funny to play a game with that sort of vibe behind it for once. Not like mirrors edge was much good to begin with anyway, it'll spice things up.
Posted 12/7/14 , edited 12/8/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


AiYumega wrote:

You know, for someone who is so gung ho about being the face of feminism and this neo-suffrage brigade, I was surprised she disables comments on her Youtube videos, which are really sporadic and few and far between.


I wouldn't be surprised, I mean, have you heard of the scandal gamergate? I assume she was gamergate, if not, I am sorry I got that wrong. I don't think she deserved all that.


Yeah, but if you stand for something, anonymous Youtube comments aren't going to harm you all that much. I know shes gotten death threats, which is not alright, but if you say something and act for it, you should be willing to listen to the other side.

It just seems like she doesn't want people to bash her for saying something, which is pretty cowardice. If you believe in something, you shouldn't care.
8830 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 12/7/14
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-run-for-your-life-2.png

Just replace ´run´ with ´sign´ :-)
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.