First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Childhood friend in anime
xxJing 
37189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 12/23/14
I was reading this manga recently, I forgot the title but it was a little like Hyouka. Anyway in it there was 6 characters, 3 boys and 3 girls. There were two pairs of childhood friends in the manga. Meaning 2 of the boys were childhood friends with 2 of the girls. However as far as romantic pairings go, none of the childhood friends ended up getting together. Each person ended up with someone who was not their childhood friend. Actually one of the boys who wasn't anyone's childhood friend was normal friends with one pair of childhood friends since middle school. He ended up with the girl he didn't know anything about. Basically everyone ended up with a person they met for the first time during the course of the manga.

I don't know is there some kind of social stigma toward having history with someone? Because while there are exceptions it seems the most common choice is to just end up with the person you know nothing at all about but are physically attracted to.
Quarlo 
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / San Antonio
Offline
Posted 12/23/14
I feel ya. I always seem to root for the childhood friend. I guess I realize that in anime/manga they're the underdog and I root for underdogs.

629 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Pooh Corner
Offline
Posted 12/23/14
The childhood friend has got to be the most over-rated cliché ever.

...

Well why the fuck not?

Germany and North Italy from Hetalia.

Edward and Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Pretty much any character from Nisekoi.

And God knows how many others I'm missing because I've stopped caring at this point.
129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/23/14 , edited 12/23/14

DearGodWhy wrote:

The childhood friend has got to be the most over-rated cliché ever.

...

Well why the fuck not?

Germany and North Italy from Hetalia.

Edward and Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Pretty much any character from Nisekoi.

And God knows how many others I'm missing because I've stopped caring at this point.


Yeah pretty much this. I'm actually surprised at the people who've managed to miss the load of them there is lol. I wish I found the gems where the childhood friend doesn't win as early as they did.
And also to the op, if you knew Manami's master plan you'd know she's the last person who deserves Kyousuke.
Posted 12/23/14 , edited 12/23/14
Well, Incest is basically childhood friend with benefits, right? I mean, they known each other since childhood.

DearGodWhy wrote:

The childhood friend has got to be the most over-rated cliché ever.

...

Well why the fuck not?

Germany and North Italy from Hetalia.

Edward and Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Pretty much any character from Nisekoi.

And God knows how many others I'm missing because I've stopped caring at this point.


It's the greatest cliche, you heretic. I want a childhood friend to marry, but sadly, I'm all alone.
34033 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 12/23/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Well, Incest is basically childhood friend with benefits, right? I mean, they known each other since childhood.

DearGodWhy wrote:

The childhood friend has got to be the most over-rated cliché ever.

...

Well why the fuck not?

Germany and North Italy from Hetalia.

Edward and Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Pretty much any character from Nisekoi.

And God knows how many others I'm missing because I've stopped caring at this point.


It's the greatest cliche, you heretic. I want a childhood friend to marry, but sadly, I'm all alone.


Lol they way you described it made me laugh. Not to be rude or anything it was just funny. But usually they're separated at an early age in one way or another (including Oreimo thanks to Manami's master plan. Seriously.)
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/15

dwilson2000 wrote:


PeripheralVisionary

It's the greatest cliche, you heretic. I want a childhood friend to marry, but sadly, I'm all alone.


Lol they way you described it made me laugh. Not to be rude or anything it was just funny.


I don't think what he said is funny. That's pretty much what I feel too, but unfortunaltely I didn't have a close female friend when I was a child. I too think chidhood friend romance is the best because of its innocence and sublime cuteness. Also, people grown up together become closer and can trust each other.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 1/18/15
The one in Amagami technically got together with the MC in her story arc...in the second season.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bullhead City, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/18/15
My vote goes to Mayuri Shiina from Steins;Gate.

xxJing 
37189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 1/18/15

Rito2Ru wrote:

The one in Amagami technically got together with the MC in her story arc...in the second season.


She was the worst girl in those if you ask me. Not compelling at all.

Might as well just have made Kaoru his childhood friend and removed Rihoko all together. Kaoru did the best job at actually being his friend as it was. And Although Kaoru was my favorite, Ayatsuji, Nanasaki, Morishima, and that extra girl were also awesome.
17765 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 1/18/15
well, rumbling hearts, the childhood friend wins, but its more like a loss for the MC.
truely a horrific ending.

but yeah, i never understood the whole 'choose the new girl' thing. like golden time. yeah, choose the stalker instead of the girl you run to for help anyways. never mind the whole memory loss and that fact that you still run to the childhood friend for help who pretty much confessed she still loves you, and choose the bitch who stabbed you in the back in front of all you friends, reasons be damned. some line you just never cross. that was one of them. yeah, great idea dumbass.
21 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/15

xxJing wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:

The one in Amagami technically got together with the MC in her story arc...in the second season.


She was the worst girl in those if you ask me. Not compelling at all.


I disagree again. I think the only bad thing was that they waited with the confession until the end of the 2nd season. But their flashbacks were very cute and especially the moment when Junichi was looking through the album with their childhood photos and realized his love for her more or less in that moment. Also, the tea club members are funny.
I am not saying the other arcs were bad, but for me the childhood bonds are always the best.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 1/18/15

xxJing wrote:


Rito2Ru wrote:

The one in Amagami technically got together with the MC in her story arc...in the second season.


She was the worst girl in those if you ask me. Not compelling at all.

Might as well just have made Kaoru his childhood friend and removed Rihoko all together. Kaoru did the best job at actually being his friend as it was. And Although Kaoru was my favorite, Ayatsuji, Nanasaki, Morishima, and that extra girl were also awesome.


Nope, Haruka was worst girl. Rihoko's moments to get closer to Junichi actually made more sense and steadily progressed as opposed to Haruka's whose encounters just escalated way too quickly leaving the viewer feeling like that love between them was superficial at best.

Glad they got a happy ending where they got married, but it was very meh overall.
xxJing 
37189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 1/18/15

Rito2Ru wrote:

Nope, Haruka was worst girl. Rihoko's moments to get closer to Junichi actually made more sense and steadily progressed as opposed to Haruka's whose encounters just escalated way too quickly leaving the viewer feeling like that love between them was superficial at best.

Glad they got a happy ending where they got married, but it was very meh overall.


I personally didn't watch Haruka's for the romance lol. I watched it for all the kinki moments lol. She was crazy.
63290 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / With Lucina
Offline
Posted 1/18/15 , edited 1/18/15
And Risa was crazy. Ruined most of his high school life and sent him into a spiral of depression.



She is the worst of the bunch now that I think about it.

Yeah, I know she saved him from being rejected but gat damn, she could've gone about it a different way.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.