First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Psychiatry
Posted 12/11/14

1) What do you think about real-life Psychiatrists like Dr. Nidal Hassan, M.D. who killed a bunch of innocent people ? Or to a lesser degree in fiction psychiatrists like Dr. Hannibal "the cannibal" Lecter?

2) What are your personal feelings in regards to the practice? Do you accept it as scientific gospel? Or do you have reservations due to the high potential for abuse? Do you support it, criticise it, believe its a necessary evil, Have you ever heard of Dr. Thomas Szasz M.D. and are you a proponent of anti-psychiatry? Are all the proponents of anti-psychiatry all disgruntled, unhappy crazy people?

3) Are you skeptical of certain mental disorders? Say, for example, aspergers? Borderline Personality versus Antisocial Personality being a gender-specific label? Or gender dysphoria. Is gender dysphoria a mental illness whereas homosexuality is not? Does multiple personality disorder exist, or are they something else? Does schizoaffective disorder exist? What do you think about Dual Diagnosis and comorbidity? How can you tell if someone on drugs is crazy? Conversely, how can you tell if someone crazy is just on drugs? What if they're crazy and on drugs?

4) What do you think about psychiatry in the courts? Should psychiatry be voluntary? Does involuntary hospitalisation amount to detention with an indefinite sentence attached to it? Should we just lock all the crazy people up and throw away the key? Does commitment serve to turn people away from getting help?

5) What do you think about malingering? People who feign mental illness? Homeless people looking for food and shelter getting themselves commited, or criminals wanting to evade justice?

I'm interested more in what a person has to think that doesn't care too much about being politically correct. Honesty is appreciated!
9817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/11/14 , edited 12/11/14
1) What do you think about real-life Psychiatrists like Dr. Nidal Hassan, M.D. who killed a bunch of innocent people ? Or to a lesser degree in fiction psychiatrists like Dr. Hannibal "the cannibal" Lecter?

Dr. Hassan is a psychotic jackass. Dr. Hannibal, on the other hand, is a brilliantly formulated and written character, albeit an incorrigible ham.


2) What are your personal feelings in regards to the practice? Do you accept it as scientific gospel? Or do you have reservations due to the high potential for abuse? Do you support it, criticise it, believe its a necessary evil, Have you ever heard of Dr. Thomas Szasz M.D. and are you a proponent of anti-psychiatry? Are all the proponents of anti-psychiatry all disgruntled, unhappy crazy people?

Some reservations, and I both support and criticize it. I don't consider it evil. No, I'm not familiar with Dr. Szasz, and I don't care to research him. No, I'm not anti-psychiatry, though I frown upon the current trend of over-prescribing, especially when the goal is wealth. With that last question, it somewhat sounds like you're being defensive. No, though, I don't white-wash them like that. Case-by-case is more my speed.


3) Are you skeptical of certain mental disorders? Say, for example, aspergers? Borderline Personality versus Antisocial Personality being a gender-specific label? Or gender dysphoria. Is gender dysphoria a mental illness whereas homosexuality is not? Does multiple personality disorder exist, or are they something else? Does schizoaffective disorder exist? What do you think about Dual Diagnosis and comorbidity? How can you tell if someone on drugs is crazy? Conversely, how can you tell if someone crazy is just on drugs? What if they're crazy and on drugs?

Some, but none in particular come to mind. I haven't formerly studied psychiatry or psychology, therefore I cannot confidently answer this bombardment of questions, and I don't want to, anyway. Many of these particular questions require rather long-winded answers, from me. I don't want to spend all night on this. Right me off as lazy, if you wish.


4) What do you think about psychiatry in the courts? Should psychiatry be voluntary? Does involuntary hospitalisation amount to detention with an indefinite sentence attached to it? Should we just lock all the crazy people up and throw away the key? Does commitment serve to turn people away from getting help?

Psychiatry has it's uses in courtrooms. Voluntary psychiatry? Please be more specific, because I'm not sure about what you're referring to. No, I don't think involuntary hospitalization amounts to that. With a blend of medical care added in, yes. No, simply locking people away is corrupt stupidity. I'm not interested in going back to Dark Age "medicine," much less, The Eugenics Movement. Yes, there are people who turn away from help due to fear of commitment.


5) What do you think about malingering? People who feign mental illness? Homeless people looking for food and shelter getting themselves committed, or criminals wanting to evade justice?

It annoys me, though I feel significantly more empathy towards the homeless; however, I'm not known for being sympathetic, and for good reason.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 12/11/14 , edited 12/11/14
About number five, we should consider that people that got out of prison, especially the ones where they have to start from scratch, in reality, couldn't get a decent job because no one's willing to hire one. So, what they have to do but to commit another crime and get back in jail/prison. We don't have an after program for the people that have served their time. As soon as they got out of prison, then what? It's either being homeless or just commit another crime.

As of now, my Puerto Rican uncle couldn't get a job even as a driver for the elderly because he has a record 11 yrs ago for being DUI.
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 12/11/14 , edited 12/11/14
I'm not so sure about people that are bipolar.
Everyone could be bipolar, right?
We can't be happy all the time. If we're put in different extremes of a situation, we rarely do nothing. We react. It's weird not to react.
I don't know. Bipolar issues are tricky.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/11/14
i had posted ro fb about this recently, it's a long answer, and i'll give it tomorrow when i am not supposed to be sleeping...;p
Vempy 
19086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/11/14

onibrotonel wrote:

I'm not so sure about people that are bipolar.
Everyone could be bipolar, right?
We can't be happy all the time. If we're put in different extremes of a situation, we rarely do nothing. We react. It's weird not to react.
I don't know. Bipolar issues are tricky.


That is a ridiculously simplistic look at bipolar disorder, which is actually a very complicated disease that is extremely difficult to diagnose.

It is not a reaction to a situation as the transitions from extreme high to extreme lows often occur without outward influence. You flip from one extreme to the next. It is not the same as a mood swing. It does not resemble a mood swing. It is episodes of extreme mania and episodes of extreme depression.

Manic episodes are not distinguished as being giddy and happy. It is far more complicated and akin to your mind running in overdrive, feeling invincible, losing inhibitions and acting on impulse. You think a mile a minute and act just as quickly to those thoughts. You aren't laughing at jokes you are running around trying to fly, rolling down hills, jumping down a flight of stairs because you feel like you can, because you think you can. You are reckless and careless and a danger to yourself. Obviously there are varying degrees of mania and that might be an extreme example, but I know people who have had much worse manic episodes.

And when you flip, you flip. It isnt always provoked by something, sometimes you are standing there manic and the next moment you aren't so happy anymore. Nothing has actually changed, no one said or did anything. You can be comply alone lying in bed trying to sleep and it just happens. Again there are varying degrees of depressive episodes but it's not being sad. It's not crying for an hour and then being okay.

Maybe I'm being bitchy, but it really bothers me when people over simplify some of these disorders because they are very real and can affect some of the most beautiful people.


Posted 12/12/14
I think I'd rather fight (kill) you than read that. And Hannibal is lesser?
18050 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

Vempy wrote:


onibrotonel wrote:

I'm not so sure about people that are bipolar.
Everyone could be bipolar, right?
We can't be happy all the time. If we're put in different extremes of a situation, we rarely do nothing. We react. It's weird not to react.
I don't know. Bipolar issues are tricky.


That is a ridiculously simplistic look at bipolar disorder, which is actually a very complicated disease that is extremely difficult to diagnose.

It is not a reaction to a situation as the transitions from extreme high to extreme lows often occur without outward influence. You flip from one extreme to the next. It is not the same as a mood swing. It does not resemble a mood swing. It is episodes of extreme mania and episodes of extreme depression.

Manic episodes are not distinguished as being giddy and happy. It is far more complicated and akin to your mind running in overdrive, feeling invincible, losing inhibitions and acting on impulse. You think a mile a minute and act just as quickly to those thoughts. You aren't laughing at jokes you are running around trying to fly, rolling down hills, jumping down a flight of stairs because you feel like you can, because you think you can. You are reckless and careless and a danger to yourself. Obviously there are varying degrees of mania and that might be an extreme example, but I know people who have had much worse manic episodes.

And when you flip, you flip. It isnt always provoked by something, sometimes you are standing there manic and the next moment you aren't so happy anymore. Nothing has actually changed, no one said or did anything. You can be comply alone lying in bed trying to sleep and it just happens. Again there are varying degrees of depressive episodes but it's not being sad. It's not crying for an hour and then being okay.

Maybe I'm being bitchy, but it really bothers me when people over simplify some of these disorders because they are very real and can affect some of the most beautiful people.




Like I said before I don't know and it's really tricky. You are welcome to be bitchy as often as you like on this stuff.

Question: do bipolar know what are they doing or conscious about what are they doing?

If they are randomly punch by someone, can they also have the question on their head "why" that person did it at the first place?
Posted 12/12/14

aeb0717 wrote:

1) What do you think about real-life Psychiatrists like Dr. Nidal Hassan, M.D. who killed a bunch of innocent people ? Or to a lesser degree in fiction psychiatrists like Dr. Hannibal "the cannibal" Lecter?

Dr. Hassan is a psychotic jackass. Dr. Hannibal, on the other hand, is a brilliantly formulated and written character, albeit an incorrigible ham.


2) What are your personal feelings in regards to the practice? Do you accept it as scientific gospel? Or do you have reservations due to the high potential for abuse? Do you support it, criticise it, believe its a necessary evil, Have you ever heard of Dr. Thomas Szasz M.D. and are you a proponent of anti-psychiatry? Are all the proponents of anti-psychiatry all disgruntled, unhappy crazy people?

Some reservations, and I both support and criticize it. I don't consider it evil. No, I'm not familiar with Dr. Szasz, and I don't care to research him. No, I'm not anti-psychiatry, though I frown upon the current trend of over-prescribing, especially when the goal is wealth. With that last question, it somewhat sounds like you're being defensive. No, though, I don't white-wash them like that. Case-by-case is more my speed.


3) Are you skeptical of certain mental disorders? Say, for example, aspergers? Borderline Personality versus Antisocial Personality being a gender-specific label? Or gender dysphoria. Is gender dysphoria a mental illness whereas homosexuality is not? Does multiple personality disorder exist, or are they something else? Does schizoaffective disorder exist? What do you think about Dual Diagnosis and comorbidity? How can you tell if someone on drugs is crazy? Conversely, how can you tell if someone crazy is just on drugs? What if they're crazy and on drugs?

Some, but none in particular come to mind. I haven't formerly studied psychiatry or psychology, therefore I cannot confidently answer this bombardment of questions, and I don't want to, anyway. Many of these particular questions require rather long-winded answers, from me. I don't want to spend all night on this. Right me off as lazy, if you wish.


4) What do you think about psychiatry in the courts? Should psychiatry be voluntary? Does involuntary hospitalisation amount to detention with an indefinite sentence attached to it? Should we just lock all the crazy people up and throw away the key? Does commitment serve to turn people away from getting help?

Psychiatry has it's uses in courtrooms. Voluntary psychiatry? Please be more specific, because I'm not sure about what you're referring to. No, I don't think involuntary hospitalization amounts to that. With a blend of medical care added in, yes. No, simply locking people away is corrupt stupidity. I'm not interested in going back to Dark Age "medicine," much less, The Eugenics Movement. Yes, there are people who turn away from help due to fear of commitment.


5) What do you think about malingering? People who feign mental illness? Homeless people looking for food and shelter getting themselves committed, or criminals wanting to evade justice?

It annoys me, though I feel significantly more empathy towards the homeless; however, I'm not known for being sympathetic, and for good reason.


This is a critique of psychiatry, not an appeal for sympathy.I don't want your sympathy nor do I like your tone. If you don't care about the subject or about learning you should not be posting.
Posted 12/12/14

Riesel wrote:

I think I'd rather fight (kill) you than read that. And Hannibal is lesser?


Good luck with trying to kill me over the internet. I have a shotgun in my closet waiting for you if you find me. And Hannibal is lesser because he never existed whereas Hassan is real.
82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
There are some things classified as mental disorders that I would be skeptical of. Such as ADD/ADHD, I don't consider it a mental disorder.

I have family with bi-polar, but I don't really know what to make of it. I don't allow myself to be controlled by my emotions, so I don't really understand it that well. I can direct my emotions at will, making myself happy, sad, or evoking any emotion I can imagine within seconds.
Posted 12/12/14
medical psychiatry is a science I suppose, but social psychology has always been something that is subjective to me. subjectivity to me is not science. Science is about objectivity.

the word "disorder" is way too debate-able and often people get up in arms if you call something a "disorder"... you have to beat around the bush and call it a "condition". anyway, imo, a disorder is defined as something that is not the "norm" and affects yourself or society or your community/species group.
scientifically, homosexuality can be considered a "disorder" since it deviates from the norm and it has an impact on the individual/community, i.e. inability to pass on one's own genetic material as homosexuals find the opposite sex unappealing.

having said that, being a homosexual doesn't mean one is infertile or has no desire to want children, so a homosexual human, if they so choose, can still find ways of having children by adopting or through IVF. In essence, they can still pass on their genetic materials.
but it does fit the definition for "disorder", imo.

_________

Anyway, what is so bad about the word "disorder"? why are people scared of this word? I'm not scared of it. I will wear it loud and proud. I'm a walking poster for the word "disorder". everything I think and do are deviated from the norm; I don't want children and I'm a man who loves men.

The genes in our body may not have a brain, but I believe they are a mastermind; they programmed species to act or think a certain way. Humans may be the only species where a small percentage of the population can defy a little of that programming.

I mean, it's abnormal for people not to want children, it's a "DISORDER". The norm is, the normal programming is, that species must have a desire to reproduce and want children. It's absurd that there are organisms that defy this programming.

_________


The truth of the matter is, we are all PRISONERS of genetic programming; nobody is exempt from this, not even the "disordered" people.

The real "disorder" in my opinion, is being a prisoner to genetic programming, not realising we are all acting the way we are programmed, and not having TRUE free will.




P.S. It's 1AM when I wrote this... so... it probably didn't make any sense.
Sogno- 
45762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
i don't care a darned thing about being politically correct

i am extremely skeptical of many disorders. and i have been diagnosed with a few in the past. looking back i think it was an excuse. i look at people around me who use their diagnoses to justify the way they act. i look at a lot of teenagers who have been diagnosed with, oh, idk, like 14 disorders/conditions or w/e and i think, huh, i acted that way too. but it was because i was a stupid, hormonal teenager. didn't help that i had some family issues. didn't help that the only person i could depend on was myself. didn't help that i didn't even like myself. these kids (and adults) probably struggle with the same things. But instead of addressing the core issues, we get "diagnoses". we're sick. we need expensive medicine with 33,245 side effects and a doctor who charges an exorbitant amount to coddle us.

i'm not saying there's not a need for psychiatry. it has its place. there's people out there who really deal with out-of-the-norm illnesses. but like anything else it can be taken entirely too far and entirely too literally.
Posted 12/12/14
such boring questions warrant boring replies. perhaps you should grab some books. there are biographies written on these types of people.
9817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14

Sarah_Blight wrote:



This is a critique of psychiatry, not an appeal for sympathy.I don't want your sympathy nor do I like your tone. If you don't care about the subject or about learning you should not be posting.


You don't have to like my tone and my choice of words, though I was under the impression that you wanted input. You only want a response that you agree with, or one that sounds super friendly from your point of view (even though you asked for non-PC answers)? What makes you think that I wasn't interested? Because of Number 3? To answer your Number 3 thoroughly can potentially take me over four hours of writing and proofreading. What's the issue of wanting to avoid spending that much time? Is the issue something else? Either way, your conclusion of me supposedly disliking the topic is pretty messed up, considering that I did answer most of your questions, and without rancor. Also, the bit about sympathy is totally out of left field. What sympathy? Was it from my response to your final question? I was saying that, although I'm most sympathetic towards homeless who have themselves treated, my sympathy is limited. When did you come into the equation?
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.