First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Psychiatry
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14

severticas wrote:

such boring questions warrant boring replies. perhaps you should grab some books. there are biographies written on these types of people.


Save your illusory superiority. I've read more books on these matters than perhaps anyone in here combined. Its all I do. I can ask whatever I please, whenever I please, to whomever I please, and if you don't like it you can go to hell. Sometimes you can learn more in an open discussion than in a lecture or just what is written on paper. I do both.

I'll tell you what I told her, if you aren't interested in the material you shouldn't be posting. In that case if you are doing so regardless you're trolling. "Boring replies" are fine by me, but cognitive-bias-based assumptions of superiority are not.
17767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
Psychiatrists, masters of guessing, at best.
idiots, at worst.
worst of all, we have to trust our lives to such people.
such is 'modren' medicine.
Posted 12/12/14

aeb0717 wrote:


Sarah_Blight wrote:



This is a critique of psychiatry, not an appeal for sympathy.I don't want your sympathy nor do I like your tone. If you don't care about the subject or about learning you should not be posting.


You don't have to like my tone and my choice of words, though I was under the impression that you wanted input. You only want a response that you agree with, or one that sounds super friendly from your point of view (even though you asked for non-PC answers)? What makes you think that I wasn't interested? Because of Number 3? To answer you Number 3 thoroughly can potentially take me over four hours of writing and proofreading. What's the issue of wanting to avoid spending that much time? Is the issue something else? Either way, your conclusion of me supposedly disliking the topic is pretty messed up, considering that I did answer most of your questions, and without rancor. Also, the bit about sympathy is totally out of left field. What sympathy? Was it from my response to your final question? I was saying that, although I'm most sympathetic towards homeless who have themselves treated, my sympathy is limited. When did you come into the equation?


Its nothing. You just seemed irritable. I'm over it.
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14

Sarah_Blight wrote:


severticas wrote:

such boring questions warrant boring replies. perhaps you should grab some books. there are biographies written on these types of people.


Save your illusory superiority. I've read more books on these matters than perhaps anyone in here combined. Its all I do. I can ask whatever I please, whenever I please, to whomever I please, and if you don't like it you can go to hell. Sometimes you can learn more in an open discussion than in a lecture or just what is written on paper. I do both.

I'll tell you what I told her, if you aren't interested in the material you shouldn't be posting. In that case if you are doing so regardless you're trolling. "Boring replies" are fine by me, but cognitive-bias-based assumptions of superiority are not.


okay, cool. i'll retract my post. seemed unfair on my part. and you don't need to have read the many, just the one or two
Vempy 
19078 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

onibrotonel wrote:


Vempy wrote:


onibrotonel wrote:

I'm not so sure about people that are bipolar.
Everyone could be bipolar, right?
We can't be happy all the time. If we're put in different extremes of a situation, we rarely do nothing. We react. It's weird not to react.
I don't know. Bipolar issues are tricky.


That is a ridiculously simplistic look at bipolar disorder, which is actually a very complicated disease that is extremely difficult to diagnose.

It is not a reaction to a situation as the transitions from extreme high to extreme lows often occur without outward influence. You flip from one extreme to the next. It is not the same as a mood swing. It does not resemble a mood swing. It is episodes of extreme mania and episodes of extreme depression.

Manic episodes are not distinguished as being giddy and happy. It is far more complicated and akin to your mind running in overdrive, feeling invincible, losing inhibitions and acting on impulse. You think a mile a minute and act just as quickly to those thoughts. You aren't laughing at jokes you are running around trying to fly, rolling down hills, jumping down a flight of stairs because you feel like you can, because you think you can. You are reckless and careless and a danger to yourself. Obviously there are varying degrees of mania and that might be an extreme example, but I know people who have had much worse manic episodes.

And when you flip, you flip. It isnt always provoked by something, sometimes you are standing there manic and the next moment you aren't so happy anymore. Nothing has actually changed, no one said or did anything. You can be comply alone lying in bed trying to sleep and it just happens. Again there are varying degrees of depressive episodes but it's not being sad. It's not crying for an hour and then being okay.

Maybe I'm being bitchy, but it really bothers me when people over simplify some of these disorders because they are very real and can affect some of the most beautiful people.




Like I said before I don't know and it's really tricky. You are welcome to be bitchy as often as you like on this stuff.

Question: do bipolar know what are they doing or conscious about what are they doing?

If they are randomly punch by someone, can they also have the question on their head "why" that person did it at the first place?


I think yes and no. To use your example of punching someone I'm sure they recognize it's wrong but if you act on an impulse you don't think at the moment about how bad it is to punch them.

But I think what you are getting at is would they realize that the why behind the punch or outburst wouldn't warrant that reaction from a "normal" person. I think it's similar to when anyone is being irrational. They don't see how what they're doing is not "normal". Afterward you might look back and be like what the hell was I doing but at the time it makes perfect sense.

45489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

nemoskull wrote:

Psychiatrists, masters of guessing, at best.
idiots, at worst.
worst of all, we have to trust our lives to such people.
such is 'modren' medicine.


Yes. 'Modren' medicine. So efficient, but not quite like 'modern' medicine.
17767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 12/13/14

Phersu wrote:


nemoskull wrote:

Psychiatrists, masters of guessing, at best.
idiots, at worst.
worst of all, we have to trust our lives to such people.
such is 'modren' medicine.


Yes. 'Modren' medicine. So efficient, but not quite like 'modern' medicine.



bad spelling. side efffec of the medicine im on.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/13/14
I think psychiatry and psychology can be either really beneficial or can be very detrimental dependent upon the doctor.

I think there is some science behind the fields, as in how the brain chemically and electrically functions, how various parts react, etc.

Beyond that, it starts to become more of an art than anything else. The patient is very susceptible to what the doctor might say or what the doctor might suggest (intentional or not, consciously or subconsciously), and every person's mental state is different (and in a constant state of flux).

The field of psychology is one that often draws the more mentally ill to study it and try to become doctors as they try to deal with their own issues. On the one hand, this can lend a sympathy to those who suffer, On the other hand, you have the sick trying to heal the sick. There's o clear cut definitions for every mental illness, and revisions to the vague definitions we have are constantly being revised (sometimes to make definitions more strict as we find that the definitions we previously had would encompass the majority of our population, other times, to increase definition between two similar illnesses or to define new illnesses, or in the case of homosexuality, to remove concepts that are outdated. The fact that homosexuality was in there, and the field of psychology is only about 100 years old, whould say something of its lack of scientific rigor)

Depending on your psychologist, there's a variety of different studies which they may fall under. There's Freudian theory, Jungian theory, behavioralists (like B. F. Skinner) and on and on and on.

The disturbing trend, oddly enough, is that in general, the realm of the sciences is very pointedly obsessed with the idea that all things can be explained with reductionism and materialism (meaning "Everything falls into the realm of physical things and physical reactions, and if it seems like it doesn't, it's only an illusion trust me it does.") Psychology, being the most immaterial of the sciences, (except maybe math and logic but they never count), is the field where the materialist is having the most difficult time finding an entry point and a success in "The Theory to Explain everything", which many believe evolution did for biology, the big bang did for astronomy, and relativity did for physics (they didn't really explain everything because there's very obvious gaping big holes of questions left in their wake, but they were large discoveries and answered many questions).

Because of this, psychology is being treated more and more like traditional medicine in that "if you have a pain, take this pill, and call me in the morning". Psychology just doesn't work like that. Sure, sometimes there's a chemical imbalance, but more often than not it's a prolem of one's perspective, of one's behavior, and of one's thoughts. Which means that more often than not, in my opinion, old fashioned psychoanalysis is probably the best method to produce a cure for the patient. But then we get back to the problem of the sick healing the sick, and so......

TL;DR? Psychology is worthwhile and real, but is approached poorly and is fraught with issues that originate from the field of sciences itself or from the doctors themselves.
4215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Waterloo, Ontario
Offline
Posted 12/14/14
It is an interesting field of study.
Posted 12/14/14
None of this ever works. Most people just go home and commit suicide when they find out that they can never be normal like all the other robots.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 1/1/15
OP Nuked. Locked.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.