First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
what does an atheist believe?
19520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
I don't like going by the term atheist because a lot of them are mean and bitter as hell lol Though I do not believe in any religion or the stuff they preach. I feel that stuff was made in a time when mankind was still ignorant of the world and how things work, so they had to give reason to what happened and to life in general out of fear and a need to "know". Fearing death is not an excuse to claim magical stuff happens lol
1408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Cosmos
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

DarksirenxX wrote:

so do you believe in the existence of a soul? and if so, is it a mortal entity the same as our bodies?


I do believe in the existence of a soul, but my definition of a soul is sort of wonky and complicated because i have this weird spiritual way of thinking about things.

I feel like a soul is a manifestation of who you are and what you stand for, as well as the "inner you." a soul can be plagued, but I also feel that it can be cleansed. When people are depressed I feel like their soul is plagued by negativity and bad feelings, but sometimes a soul can be plagued by other things like money and material items. Some people choose to allow their soul to be plagued and feed off of it (those are people that have absolutely no regard for others.)

I guess in a sense my definition of a soul is just morality, with some other stuff sprinkled on top.
7102 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14
I've always wondered that why is there a need for afterlife. To me even the thought about afterlife and the question "what happens after you die" seem a bit odd. Sounds the same as the question "what happened before we were born". Maybe its the human aspiration and need for a purpose and a meaning in life.

What do i think happens after we die? I don't know. Well what do you believe that happens? How can you even ask that.
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/13/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:

It's called Nihilism, nothing happens to you after death, absolutely nothing.


I am an atheist who believes in the possibility of an afterlife. I just don't believe that a God set it in motion.
5238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14
I have no idea about what happens when we die, but once you're dead you are no longer the same, anyway. Except maybe in Yu Yu Hakusho, when some character dies, but things work out and is then brought back from the dead. People don't need a imaginary friend to help them achieve their goals, it is you who has the opportunity to achieve goals. There are many ways for me to die, but at least I can know all those ways that can get me killed. I will die, but with my goals being achieved.
4251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

DarksirenxX wrote:

i do not worship any deity but their existence on the other hand is a given in my opinion. the fact alone that there are people in this world who believe in their existence, manifests their existence. (if that makes any sense ). i don't believe in heaven but i do believe in reincarnation. what does that make me? just wandering.


Remember.. You don't have to be a part of any religion, in order to have your own beliefs. I have many beliefs, but I follow no religion.. You don't really need a title for it.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bullhead City, AZ
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
I believe in God, but that's about the extent of it. I don't believe that God governs everything somebody does, I don't believe that God will answer prayers or perform miracles like a lot of people believe. I believe that God played a role in the creation of the universe, though I am not certain which role I want to believe in whether he intentionally created the Big Bang, if Gods death caused the Big Bang, ect..

Science says that something can't come from nothing, but at the same time science also contradicts itself by proving that it can, the Big Bang being one of those scenarios.

Science and religion agree on just about nothing, and it wasn't until the last decade or so did religion begin to believe that the existence of aliens might be real. However, there is one thing that science and religion both unequivocally agree on, the beginning of the universe. Science says that, "In the beginning there was nothing until the universe sprang to life in one massive, brilliant explosion of light and energy." and religion says that, "In the beginning God said 'Let there be light' and all of creation sprang into existence." so I believe the ultimate proof of whether there is a God or not will come on the day we fully understand the Big Bang event and not a moment sooner as I believe that's where the proof in his existence/non-existence lies, in that fundamental spot where both science and religion agree on the birth of everything.

To me, religion called the Big Bang theory way before science did, back when science thought the universe was infinite and that the Earth was the center point for the entire universe.

As far as the existence of the Soul is concerned, I want to believe there is a soul. I favor science and knowledge above blind faith, and to me what we call a soul seems like the only logical conclusion. Science teaches you to question everything, and if you believe in that one fundamental then at the end of all questions about existence I think is where the answer to the soul lies. For example:

"Why does the arm move?" Because the muscles, tendons and nerves moved in a specific way that caused your arm to move. Why did that happen? Because your brain told it to. Why did your brain tell it to? Because you had a desire for something that required your arm to move and your brain made it happen, and so on and so forth until you get all the way down to what caused all of it in the first place. Just like a car has an operator that tells it everything to do, so do I believe the body has an operator. Why does a car turn right? Because the wheels turned at an angle and the momentum caused the car to turn. Why did the car turn? Because the steering wheel turned and gave command to the wheels to do the same. Why did the steering wheel turn? Because we grabbed a hold of it and made it turn, ect. ect..

Whether or not the soul sticks around as us after we die though I don't know. Once we die the soul could lose everything that bound it together as a conscious entity and dissipate into free energy that gets absorbed by the universe around us, just like how the atoms in our bodies don't die when we do, they just escape the body and soar the cosmos as a particle until it joins with other atoms and becomes something else. I would like to believe the soul retains itself though after we die because otherwise I don't see the point in life at all.There's literally no point in having consciousness now if there's nothing else. No point in life itself if the soul isn't real because nothing we do at that point will ever EVER matter. When it comes to life, we as a species is actually a huge detriment to it, so it would actually be more beneficial for the universe to have never allowed us to exist in the first place if there is no soul or ultimate end-game to our existence.


TL;DR

I believe God is real, but doesn't care. I believe the soul exists because what's the point of conscious life if it doesn't.
23206 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Long Island
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14
It's like Louis C.K. says - "Lots of stuff happens after you die, just none of them include you"

But seriously, as far as if someone experiences anything after death I have no idea. And I doubt that people who wrote some books thousands of years ago had the answer either.

Yes I do consider myself an Atheist but I don't really like the term. It doesn't make sense that I have to call myself something because I don't believe in someone's deity. Some people believe bigfoot exists, yet I don't have to give myself a special title for not believing that.

A small part of me believes reincarnation might be possible, but I think that's just because it's hard for me to grasp the concept of my consciousness just suddenly ceasing.
1408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Cosmos
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

Science says that something can't come from nothing, but at the same time science also contradicts itself by proving that it can, the Big Bang being one of those scenarios.


The big bang wasn't something from nothing. There was stuff there, it was just so small that it looked like nothing until there was a ton of it. It's like air. You think there's nothing there but there are infinite amounts of molecules and particles that we aren't able to see
Posted 12/12/14
I'm an agnostic athiest, this means that while i do not believe in god or any kind of spirituality, i am however aware i could be wrong, and as a result, i do not put down religious beliefs.
11415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/12/14
As an atheist I don't think anything happens after you die; you just rot in the ground. As for what 'nothing' feels like, well, hell if anyone's going to be able to comprehend that anytime soon, but yeah, that's it. As far as souls and stuff are concerned, again it all sounds too 'fantasy-esque' to me. However, I will say I like to think of my loved ones who've passed on as 'being in heaven' since thinking 'Yeah, their corpses are decaying or dust now' is pretty dark and depressing, but when looking at something like heaven from a logical standpoint, it all seems too unreal to me.
17394 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
I suppose I'm an atheist. I see church as a business. My brother goes to church and it always seems like there's a collection for more than one thing. I tell him he gives too much money and he gets mad at me. O well.

I'm not sure about what I believe about any afterlifes, if there is one.
8024 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
An atheist (like myself) doesn't believe in a god or higher power. Atheists don't have a belief, they just share a disbelief.
13639 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / NekoLand
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

jeanius- wrote:
Science says that something can't come from nothing, but at the same time science also contradicts itself by proving that it can, the Big Bang being one of those scenarios.


AFAIK 'science' doesn't have any answer for why or how the big bang came to be, saying that there is a contradiction isn't correct. Besides, your point about something coming from nothing - energy cannot be created or destroyed - only applies to this universe, no telling what happened before the universe existed, if you look at the Big Bang Theory you'll find that all laws of physics break down the closer you get to the start (~ few femtoseconds after the big bang).


jeanius- wrote:
To me, religion called the Big Bang theory way before science did, back when science thought the universe was infinite and that the Earth was the center point for the entire universe.


The universe is infinite...


jeanius- wrote:
"Why does the arm move?" Because the muscles, tendons and nerves moved in a specific way that caused your arm to move. Why did that happen? Because your brain told it to. Why did your brain tell it to? Because you had a desire for something that required your arm to move and your brain made it happen, and so on and so forth until you get all the way down to what caused all of it in the first place. Just like a car has an operator that tells it everything to do, so do I believe the body has an operator. Why does a car turn right? Because the wheels turned at an angle and the momentum caused the car to turn. Why did the car turn? Because the steering wheel turned and gave command to the wheels to do the same. Why did the steering wheel turn? Because we grabbed a hold of it and made it turn, ect. ect..


You only think this because we don't understand how the brain works yet, it's entirely possible that we really are just a blob of matter, controlled by the random firing of electrons inside our heads (of course, maybe you're right and there is a soul, idk). I wonder if people in the past thought the soul controlled the arm, rather than controlling the brain to control the arm. History is full of Gods and miracles used to explain the unknown.


Meh. In reality I'm God and you're all just constructs of my imagination trying to persuade me otherwise
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Bullhead City, AZ
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
Regardless, the one fundamental truth is that we know nothing.




"Scio me nihil scire" - Socrates
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.