First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Another High School Shooting
51463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / End of Nowhere
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

SoldierSangria wrote:

This is why we can't have dangerous things. No self control. I wonder though...America's allowed guns forever. So why so suddenly, are there so many shootings when in the past it wasn't so? Something's gone wrong.

Anyway, in America some are calling for the banning of guns. In other countries, they wish they could have guns and hate how they cannot carry weapons.


This is not a sudden sort of thing. These sorts of shootings have been happening for a very long time. According to Wikipedia, the earliest recorded was around 1850 in a school in Pennsylvania. From the 1900's on, it seems like per decade the numbers have been relatively consistent. At least when you also look at population growth as well. It is just that with the Internet, it seems like these things are happening more often. Just like war. People think the sorts of wars we have now is a modern thing. But there have always been bush wars for pretty much all of history. It is just easier to hear about places like Ruwanda these days than in the 1800's.

Also few in America are calling for a ban on guns. Simply regulation so that the police knows who has what, and so that the mentally unstable do not get to buy guns. But since any sort of regulation is anathema to the NRA, it all seems to amount to the same thing for them.
Posted 12/12/14

Hehaho1830 wrote:

sounding a little like Doctor Strangelove there.

"General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, have you ever seen a Commie drink a glass of water?
Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well, no, I can't say I have."


You made my day by referencing that classic film.
6237 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / O / US
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
America is whack.
16124 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Seattle, WA
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
I feel bad for getting used to this. I do have my concern for the victim but I do not get shocked like I used to anymore.

Time like this makes me wonder that is the "no gun" policy the Japanese have a good thing to have in the West. Then again, I would also have no problem if both gun control laws and gun rights laws are done right.
23066 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/13/14
You idiots blaming guns really must be disconnected from reality. Take away guns and people will find some other way to accomplish their goals. Fertilizer and propane bombs are a good example of that. I think we should give teachers and school staff the option of CC at school. But, not without an extremely in depth evaluation of their skills. An idiot with a gun will only make a situation worse. However, someone with the skill to wield a gun and the resolve to pull the trigger without hesitation could save a lot of lives, long before the police show up.

We could continue to tighten laws on gun control. We could even remove guns from the hands of law abiding citizens. We could make the penalty for being caught with a gun death. Guess what? CRIMINALS ARE CRIMINALS BECAUSE THEY BREAK LAWS. Take guns from law abiding citizens andl you've accomplished nothing to decrease gun violence. I'll become a wanted criminal before I give up my guns.
Posted 12/12/14

bobland wrote:

imo 2nd amendment is obsolete. Fat chance the British (or Canadians) and going to invade us anytime soon.


The gun nuts here aren't worried about an invasion. They believe our own government will soon carry out something along the lines of Stalin's Great Purge.
37097 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/12/14

lilliputian_otaku wrote:

You idiots blaming guns really must be disconnected from reality. Take away guns and people will find some other way to accomplish their goals. Fertilizer and propane bombs are a good example of that. I think we should give teachers and school staff the option of CC at school. But, not without an extremely in depth evaluation of their skills. An idiot with a gun will only make a situation worse. However, someone with the skill to wield a gun and the resolve to pull the trigger without hesitation could save a lot of lives, long before the police show up.

We could continue to tighten laws on gun control. We could even remove guns from the hands of law abiding citizens. We could make the penalty for being caught with a gun death. Guess what? CRIMINALS ARE CRIMINALS BECAUSE THEY BREAK LAWS. Take guns from law abiding citizens andl you've accomplished nothing to decrease gun violence. I'll become a wanted criminal before I give up my guns.


Not to put too fine a point on it, but laws forbidding this or that do not exist to prevent the thing they forbid. That can be these laws' net effect, reducing the thing they forbid, but they don't actually exist for that reason. They exist to offer victims and the state an avenue for recourse against violators. They establish that whatever they forbid is unacceptable and provide a means to penalize it. Murder isn't illegal to drive murders down, though that could be the law's net effect. Laws against murder actually exist to establish that murder is intolerable and to provide grounds for state action against people who commit murder.
14255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 12/12/14
lol erbody cares about physical problems, not mental problems>>>>>>sick people
Posted 12/12/14 , edited 12/13/14

Cellory wrote:

This is not a sudden sort of thing. These sorts of shootings have been happening for a very long time. According to Wikipedia, the earliest recorded was around 1850 in a school in Pennsylvania. From the 1900's on, it seems like per decade the numbers have been relatively consistent. At least when you also look at population growth as well. It is just that with the Internet, it seems like these things are happening more often. Just like war. People think the sorts of wars we have now is a modern thing. But there have always been bush wars for pretty much all of history. It is just easier to hear about places like Ruwanda these days than in the 1800's.

Also few in America are calling for a ban on guns. Simply regulation so that the police knows who has what, and so that the mentally unstable do not get to buy guns. But since any sort of regulation is anathema to the NRA, it all seems to amount to the same thing for them.


True, it is not a "sudden" or "new" thing; however it has most certainly escalated like never before. It has never been like this for years - so why all of a sudden and to such an extent? What is it - violent video games, no morals, boredom, lack of compassion/true remorse...???

Anyway to your second paragraph...that is exactly why I said "some" not "all" or "most". There are some in the States who want the full banning of guns. Personally...I don't agree with that. But on the other hand, I feel something has to be done to prevent nonsense like this from happening so often if at all.

I mean, we've seen in other countries constantly where guns are banned the crime rate has spiked more and there are still plenty of gruesome murders with non-gun objects almost daily. I mean, some truly gruesome shit. So no - banning guns in my opinion is not the answer.

I feel a lot of the problem just lies in the problems of today's generation/world. Modern society has lost something in itself - not that there were not problems in the past or anything like that...But in today's world, we should know better. There is a difference. We've gotten worse.
45036 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/13/14

RedExodus wrote:

lol erbody cares about physical problems, not mental problems>>>>>>sick people


most people with mental problems aren't violent (other than some extreme sociopaths) and should be able to own guns, since no country has shown the ability to run a morally ethic asylum, then no country should try to remove rights from those who might think just a little bit different. my point is, if you don't understand something, your first response should be to learn more about it, not shoot them / take away their rights, otherwise they can't protect themselves from ignorant people assuming it's the "retarded person" who did it. I'm sure there are even more cases of police mishandling cases with the mentally ill, resulting in a death, per year, than that of racial profiling.
27358 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 12/13/14 , edited 12/13/14
The few times I've been bullied, I stood up for myself. When I was a stupid 6th grader, I fought a guy who was bullying me. We chose the sandy area of the schoolyard where people couldn't see us. He never bullied me again.

I also confronted a guy who was stealing money and stuff from my backpack. I noticed things missing and let it go for a few weeks but got fed up when I discovered $20 missing. I told him I knew it was him and he just laughed at me and pretended he didn't know anything. I ended up pushing him off a flight of stairs after I found proof and he cried like a wimp. My stuff never went missing again.

In 8th grade or so, some classmates kept teasing me about some girl. I didn't like her romantically but thought she was really nice, and knew she liked me so I kept being nice to her in return. Even the teacher knew and she would always make seating charts that arranged for me to sit next to the girl. I just figured people would shut up if I ignored them and they did. It was a minor annoyance at most.

In HS, nobody bullied me since a lot of people knew I was really into martial arts and trained for tournaments and spent all my free time training.
18816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 12/13/14

Hehaho1830 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:

lol erbody cares about physical problems, not mental problems>>>>>>sick people


most people with mental problems aren't violent (other than some extreme sociopaths) and should be able to own guns, since no country has shown the ability to run a morally ethic asylum, then no country should try to remove rights from those who might think just a little bit different. my point is, if you don't understand something, your first response should be to learn more about it, not shoot them / take away their rights, otherwise they can't protect themselves from ignorant people assuming it's the "retarded person" who did it. I'm sure there are even more cases of police mishandling cases with the mentally ill, resulting in a death, per year, than that of racial profiling.



yeah, its super funny when a marine with PTSD can't own a gun due to the 'mentally ill' status. never mind that he saw combat.
personally, i have no problem with the mentally ill owning guns. all the crimes commited by the mentally ill are by those off there meds, or not taking them.
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/13/14

lilliputian_otaku wrote:

You idiots blaming guns really must be disconnected from reality. Take away guns and people will find some other way to accomplish their goals. Fertilizer and propane bombs are a good example of that. I think we should give teachers and school staff the option of CC at school. But, not without an extremely in depth evaluation of their skills. An idiot with a gun will only make a situation worse. However, someone with the skill to wield a gun and the resolve to pull the trigger without hesitation could save a lot of lives, long before the police show up.

We could continue to tighten laws on gun control. We could even remove guns from the hands of law abiding citizens. We could make the penalty for being caught with a gun death. Guess what? CRIMINALS ARE CRIMINALS BECAUSE THEY BREAK LAWS. Take guns from law abiding citizens and l you've accomplished nothing to decrease gun violence. I'll become a wanted criminal before I give up my guns.


I completely agree with your points on criminals,

And the methodologies you described can either be FAR more effective, (poison is amazing stuff) or more personal (can't be more up front than a knife), and many use more common every day items that either nobody suspects (broken beer bottle), or might be on your victim (silk necktie). Then there's just killing someone with no tool at all..

But the problem I have with guns is that they really don't serve any day to day purpose beyond hunting if you are a hunter. Otherwise.... shooting people, or shooting targets... yep.. that's about it. I'm not trying to take away your guns, I'm just completely neutral about whether we have them or not. It's just this obsession with "personal safety" (and a large portion of shootings are accidental due to operator's stupidity), or militarization of the public (WHY!?!??!?!) The mindset is just really weird and I kinda want to poke at it and understand what those that feel that way are REALLY all about. (I think it's a fear based on a feeling of life not being under their control)


bravostribe1015 wrote:


bobland wrote:

imo 2nd amendment is obsolete. Fat chance the British (or Canadians) and going to invade us anytime soon.


The gun nuts here aren't worried about an invasion. They believe our own government will soon carry out something along the lines of Stalin's Great Purge.


Yeah... not very damned likely. We're still pretty far behind most industrialized countries when it comes to our laws and regulation policies. And even if it does, there's always a way to escape.
9755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/13/14

nemoskull wrote:


Hehaho1830 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:

lol erbody cares about physical problems, not mental problems>>>>>>sick people


most people with mental problems aren't violent (other than some extreme sociopaths) and should be able to own guns, since no country has shown the ability to run a morally ethic asylum, then no country should try to remove rights from those who might think just a little bit different. my point is, if you don't understand something, your first response should be to learn more about it, not shoot them / take away their rights, otherwise they can't protect themselves from ignorant people assuming it's the "retarded person" who did it. I'm sure there are even more cases of police mishandling cases with the mentally ill, resulting in a death, per year, than that of racial profiling.



yeah, its super funny when a marine with PTSD can't own a gun due to the 'mentally ill' status. never mind that he saw combat.
personally, i have no problem with the mentally ill owning guns. all the crimes commited by the mentally ill are by those off there meds, or not taking them.




yeah.... riiiiiiiiiiiigggggght...
12472 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Utopia
Offline
Posted 12/13/14
crazy
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.