First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Thug Culture
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/14
Come to my place and you'll see it all.

Posted 12/14/14

CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

Real Gangsters



I'm down. Sign me up. How many people do I need to kill?
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/14/14


You don't have to be pretentious about it. You, yourself, explained the stereotypes without my need. It's whatever you wanna think of it though I guess. Maybe Drake is light-skinned but he's still black. Maybe he likes to dress up like a "thug" and dress up as a "non-black person." Who even said a black person isn't black anymore once they receive an education? You were the one to bring that up, so it must be stuck in your head, amirite?
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/14/14

ky0uki wrote:

This conversation is soft and glazes over 500 years worth of underlying issues. Dress it up how you like but you're judgmental and more than a little misinformed.



I am not judgmental, I'm just honest. I call it how I see it, and believe me I've seen it.

If you're insinuating I'm racist, I suggest you don't because I hate racism and anything that comes with it and being called a racist is as big an insult as there can be tossed at me. I accept people for whatever they are. My issue is with the "thug culture", image, attitude. Call me whatever you want, I couldn't care less. I have my opinions, you have yours.

Dress it up however you want, but I'm not a racist, never have been and never will be.
48423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 12/14/14
I hate thug culture and all its trappings
Around these parts most of the kids ditched the baggy clothes for skinny jeans a few years ago. The ones who continue to wear the big clothes are the cholos
14233 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:


CoffeeGodEddy wrote:

Real Gangsters



I'm down. Sign me up. How many people do I need to kill?


Oh, just enough to take down a yakuza base, nothing too hard
21093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

narutosonic330 wrote:



You don't have to be pretentious about it. You, yourself, explained the stereotypes without my need. It's whatever you wanna think of it though I guess. Maybe Drake is light-skinned but he's still black. Maybe he likes to dress up like a "thug" and dress up as a "non-black person." Who even said a black person isn't black anymore once they receive an education? You were the one to bring that up, so it must be stuck in your head, amirite?


I wasn't being pretentious, I am not even sure what was pretentious about it. I was pointing out the fact that people use that saying constantly and that saying (or other variations of it), in and of itself, is stereotyping in a very negative way but is widely used and accepted by peoples on both sides of the race boundary. And what exactly do you think it means when you say a black person is 'the whitest' or is 'acting white?'...obviously they aren't acting 'black' anymore. I don't know what point your trying to make when you say maybe Drake likes to dress up like a 'thug' and as a 'non-black person'...Ok...

Secondly, I live in Detroit. It's a predominately black city and in my experience there are very many who have indicated that perusing an education (staying in school / studying) as opposed to being on the streets and hustling was an attempt at being 'white'. Maybe you haven't encountered it being so young and possibly not in a predominately black area. This is usually from those who haven't made the best of choices and are attempting to hold others down / back.

I know you probably think your jab was clever...somehow attempting to indicate that I myself am racist or believe that blacks were acting 'white' or weren't blacks anymore for getting an education. However, I would just like to point out that I wasn't attacking you or accusing you of anything so I don't see any reasons why you should attempt to take a jab at me personally. My issue is with those 'acting white/ acting black' statements, that are so prevalent and socially acceptable yet are stereotyping and demeaning.
Posted 12/14/14
people think am a thug. even though I don't try to look like one.

I'm the nerdiest nerd I know.

11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/14/14


It seems you're intentionally acting pretentious, especially just now. I don't quite understand your second paragraph, though. Some rappers who aren't exactly a "good influence" have done well during their time in school. Examples? 2 Chainz, Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, well at least according to my research, they've done well. Were you trying to assume that the only black people I saw in my life were thugs? Well, to confirm that, I've only ever seen a few black thugs with my own eyes. The rest of the black population where I live are mainly sporty teenagers living their lives happily.


My issue is with those 'acting white/ acting black' statements, that are so prevalent and socially acceptable yet are stereotyping and demeaning.


Okay, so that's what you've been trying to say? "Acting white/acting black" has a good and bad balance? How do you plan to fix that "issue"?

If your friend asked you to impersonate an Asian for a game of charades, how would you do that.. or you wouldn't because you're so good and innocent that you can't portray stereotypes? I don't get what you were trying to say. Whether you were trying to oppress me for calling Drake a white black dude or trying to say that "acting black" or "acting white" isn't politically appropriate or whatever, take whatever you can out of this.
21093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

narutosonic330 wrote:



It seems you're intentionally acting pretentious, especially just now. I don't quite understand your second paragraph, though. Some rappers who aren't exactly a "good influence" have done well during their time in school. Examples? 2 Chainz, Soulja Boy, Lil Wayne, well at least according to my research, they've done well. Were you trying to assume that the only black people I saw in my life were thugs? Well, to confirm that, I've only ever seen a few black thugs with my own eyes. The rest of the black population where I live are mainly sporty teenagers living their lives happily.


My issue is with those 'acting white/ acting black' statements, that are so prevalent and socially acceptable yet are stereotyping and demeaning.


Okay, so that's what you've been trying to say? "Acting white/acting black" has a good and bad balance? How do you plan to fix that "issue"?

If your friend asked you to impersonate an Asian for a game of charades, how would you do that.. or you wouldn't because you're so good and innocent that you can't portray stereotypes? I don't get what you were trying to say. Whether you were trying to oppress me for calling Drake a white black dude or trying to say that "acting black" or "acting white" isn't politically appropriate or whatever, take whatever you can out of this.


I'll just address these as they are in your response:

I don't think you know what pretentious means. But I understand, I pointed out something you said and articulated a response on it that was lengthy and used bigger words that hurr durr. Then I did the unforgivable and offered yet another, more lengthy, response as to my reasoning. I apologize for discussing on a discussion board.

Your response in defense of there being black rappers who have had a good education has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making. Thank you for examples. I am not sure sure there is any point on trying to re-iterate what my point was due to the fact that I am pretty sure you still won't get it. You seem stuck on your own view of things. This is the same with the 'black thugs' you have seen, again way off point. I wasn't talking about black thugs... I was talking about people (blacks) in a predominately black city inferring that attempting to get an education and better yourself was seen as 'acting white'....This is likely to be a viewpoint you will only get when regularly interacting with inner city (poverty level, lower class) blacks though.. middle class, educated and successful types are obviously not going to spout that rhetoric. Which by your statement, is the majority of black people you have interacted with. Thank you for clearing that up.This is the same trend with any race when dealing with different classes. Trailer park whites will disenfranchise other trailer park whites if they go against the grain and do not follow the status quo.

If your friend asked you to impersonate an Asian for a game of charades, how would you do that ---- By impersonating a stereotype. I would probably squint my eyes and say something like, U wannn footune Cookiiee Ching Chong Bing Bong. It's derogatory and offensive and no, it isn't really acceptable. That's what I would do though. I am not sure why you are taking another stab at me though.

I just kind of lol'd at the oppressing you statement. This isn't even about you, anybody could have said the words and it would have elicited the same response. It's bringing to light what you acknowledged in you last line, that the statement isn't appropriate or politically correct.

It's a point of discussion because it's widely used and widely accepted. I find it interesting that as a society, these days we are so very sensitive about stereotypes yet have a thought process like that (which is a negative stereotype) ingrained so deep, that many whites and blacks find it acceptable. Yet when you bother to examine the implications of what it means, it's very disturbing and gives an insight into one aspect of institutionalized racism.

Lastly, I am done with speaking with you. This post was more for anyone else who cared to read through it.
41641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/14/14
Don't really understand the obsession with thug culture, but I do believe it's derived from the popularity of rap music in the mainstream.
Only gangsters I really like are fictional, namely the ones in DRRR, especially the Yakuza, which while a real thing seems much more cool in manga and anime, and badass, even if it's something I would never trifle with IRL.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

xDeadlyDollx wrote:

Well someone's up on a high horse.

There's nothing wrong with disliking something or disagreeing with other people's life choices. But when you use it to judge others and make yourself look good / feel better about yourself, it becomes just a little bit unsightly. Especially when you post in such a preachy tone.


Agree with this 100%
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/14/14

blind_fate wrote:


narutosonic330 wrote:

Damn right. Drake is like the whitest black guy I've seen in entertainment. No doubt that he has great talent. What he does is all for the sake of entertainment.


This, right here is a huge problem. So tell me then, what stereotypes are you pushing that qualify a white guy and a black guy?

So...society accepts that being uneducated, ignorant, violent, Thugish, drug dealing POS of society = black?

Whereas being ...what....soft? Considerate? More educated? Why is it that when a black person gets an education, stays in a complete family, teaches/behaves with respect, dresses appropriately (not sagging, clothes 5x too large and hanging off the body), and speaks English correctly...they are suddenly not black anymore? This ideology is a huge reason why inner-city blacks continue to stay entrenched in their situation. Every legitimate chance / opportunity to better themselves is pushed by fools as a counter-culture action. Even worse, it's attempting to emulate the 'enemy'.

Guess what. Having black skin doesn't require you to act in any certain or specific ways, especially not in a degrading fashion. Not only do blacks deserve equal opportunity and education, they are just as capable. Pushing welfare reliance, things like ebonics and this 'acting black/acting white' is nothing more than systematic stereotyping/racism being perpetrated by both blacks and whites.


I got a tiny bit smarter from reading this. I think. Makes sense. Though in all fairness he could be referring to something else besides the thug life.
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/14/14


You're still vague. Your entire essay looked like it was trying to get a kick out of me or something lol. Maybe you might want to look up the definition of "pretentious" yourself. Calm down a bit and stop trying to act like my examples were contrary to this topic. Those rappers I mentioned were at least 50% similar to what the OP described as a "thug." You went ahead and said "black = thug." Then, you mentioned "when black people get an education, they're not black anymore." Yet, I provided three examples of black people with an education, who still look like "thugs" and somehow you didn't see that. You seem to have poor judging. Don't think of it as if I'm trying to attack you because that's just you thinking that... lol. I don't know where got off saying that everything was about me, I merely stated that whether you were trying to oppress me or proving a different, I'm still gonna use "acting black" regardless, not that I felt oppressed by you. I don't see what you were trying to prove, but I made my point that Drake is the whitest black dude with remarkable talent.
2398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/14/14
I personally think this woman in this article is on to something. I'll link it but the jist is " They have no social responsibility and by extension no emotional responsibility."

http://www.blackyouthproject.com/2011/09/i-know-why-black-men-act-the-way-they-act-peter-pan-syndrome/

IMO, when you grow up being told that everything is always someone else's fault then there is never a need to take responsibility for your own actions. It's no wonder most are so easily influenced by violence well into their 30's and beyond. It's society's fault, it's my mother's fault, it's the police's fault. It's never their own fault and therefore there is never a need to grow up and change. They just keep passing the torch to the next generation.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.