First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Thug Culture
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/15/14

narutosonic330 wrote:

I don't see what you were trying to prove, but I made my point that Drake is the whitest black dude with remarkable talent.


Drake was raised by his jewish mother(white) in Canada. As far as his talent goes, he may as well be Justin Beiber and everyone(with good taste) hates Beiber. He's kinda like the sword art online of music, very popular, but I personally don't get what all the fuss is about.
Posted 12/14/14
it was never meant to be taken literally.. in fact, because it holds little weight, that kind things said about someone's color in relation to what they do is there for light comedy. it does make them famous so there's that too.
11660 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/14/14


But he is also of African descent too. Let's put it this way.. with people on the radio who have lesser talent like Rick Ross or some other 4-syllable-versed rapper, Drake associates AND makes music with those guys. Sometimes his songs sounds exactly the same as them, but he has more variety to his OWN music. He can make the stupidest rap songs for fun and it'd still be catchy because he is Drake, and he can also make emotional and relatable music (well for me at least). Pretty much, I try not to take entertainers for granted.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14 , edited 12/15/14
To be honest it's very easy to dress like a so called "thug". I have a 5 year ba in architecture and a job in that field. Last week I was wearing dress pants and a blue stripped shirt . It was snowing so I put on a winter hat. Out of 100's of people, I was stopped and had my backpack checked for weapons. You know because a Black man wearing blue and a winter hat makes him a cryp
Posted 12/14/14

narutosonic330 wrote:

But he is also of African descent too. Let's put it this way.. with people on the radio who have lesser talent like Rick Ross or some other 4-syllable-versed rapper, Drake associates AND makes music with those guys. Sometimes his songs sounds exactly the same as them, but he has more variety to his OWN music. He can make the stupidest rap songs for fun and it'd still be catchy because he is Drake, and he can also make emotional and relatable music (well for me at least). Pretty much, I try not to take entertainers for granted.


I sense a fanboy.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 12/14/14
I break "gangster" down into several categories, but I'm only going to touch on what seems to be the overall sort discussed here. I consider two versions of it, which are the Wannabes and Bonafide Threats. I certainly don't want anything to do with the truly dangerous ones, yet it's the posers who aggravate me the most. Why? The posers tend to be more loud, brash, and cowardly; characteristics that are very contrary to my nature. I can't say that I'm bothered by the fashion and music, though I do get a good chuckle out of the sagging-thing.

Also, our definitions of smut are pretty different.


P.S. In the video, there's a bottle of Hennessy Very Special cognac sitting on a table. It's Hennessy's cheapest cognac, and a bottle of that size commonly sells for about $45. It's delicious, and particularly yummy in apple desserts. Not exactly the poster-drink of "thugs."

2887 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Portugal
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

aeb0717 wrote:

I break "gangster" down into several categories, but I'm only going to touch on what seems to be the overall sort discussed here. I consider two versions of it, which are the Wannabes and Bonafide Threats. I certainly don't want anything to do with the truly dangerous ones, yet it's the posers who aggravate me the most. Why? The posers tend to be more loud, brash, and cowardly; characteristics that are very contrary to my nature. I can't say that I'm bothered by the fashion and music, though I do get a good chuckle out of the sagging-thing.

Also, our definitions of smut are pretty different.


P.S. In the video, there's a bottle of Hennessy Very Special cognac sitting on a table. It's Hennessy's cheapest cognac, and a bottle of that size commonly sells for about $45. It's delicious, and particularly yummy in apple desserts. Not exactly the poster-drink of "thugs."



I totally agree with you, the posers make 80% of this so called "thug culture". I don't appreciate anything about their culture, although I have some friends who are "thugs" but are great guys if you get to know them well. I guess the problem is the environment you live in or the friends you have.
Posted 12/14/14
"My daddy said if you're gonna be a thug, at least be one in a classy suit and tie."

- Michael Corleone
Posted 12/14/14
The
Hate
U
Give

Little
Infants
Fucks
Everyone

Shout out to Tupac for clearing things up
21093 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

narutosonic330 wrote:



You're still vague. Your entire essay looked like it was trying to get a kick out of me or something lol. Maybe you might want to look up the definition of "pretentious" yourself. Calm down a bit and stop trying to act like my examples were contrary to this topic. Those rappers I mentioned were at least 50% similar to what the OP described as a "thug." You went ahead and said "black = thug." Then, you mentioned "when black people get an education, they're not black anymore." Yet, I provided three examples of black people with an education, who still look like "thugs" and somehow you didn't see that. You seem to have poor judging. Don't think of it as if I'm trying to attack you because that's just you thinking that...lol. I don't know where got off saying that everything was about me, I merely stated that whether you were trying to oppress me or proving a different, I'm still gonna use "acting black" regardless, not that I felt oppressed by you. I don't see what you were trying to prove, but I made my point that Drake is the whitest black dude with remarkable talent.


I think it's just you man. I am not sure how my 'essay' is trying to get a kick out of you? I was responding to each of your statements....How ARE discussions supposed to go then?

I am not sure how to be any more clear. Stereotypes = Bad in society, 'acting white / acting black' = Stereotyping however 'acting white / acting black' = OK by society...it's not difficult man. All I did was discuss why it's stereotyping, how it's used, and why it's a problem.

You are taking one sentence in what I said and taking it out of context. I am not making the statement that black people who get an education aren't acting black.... it was an example. If you can't comprehend that then I feel bad. Making reference to the OP is... I don't even know what to say to that. OP's wasn't referenced or even a point of contention...it was just that one, single statement you made in your post that I was extrapolating on. The only thing the OP has to do with this is the topic in general. You made a few remarks against me directly, not the topic. Just like I made some against you, mainly about your comprehension abilities.

Also, I fully understand what pretentious means, and I did even look it up to make sure I wasn't mistaken. But it's cool man, I get it. Enjoy your anime and take care.
2841 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Houston, Tx
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

AiYumega wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're black or white. Gangs, drugs, murder, and everything that comes with it is not the sort of lifestyle someone should


Hahahah, All I got out of this was Asians can't be gangsters.
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/14/14

GayAsianBoy wrote:

people think am a thug. even though I don't try to look like one.

I'm the nerdiest nerd I know.



it's them sassy gifs. admit it, those gals are the thugs you strive to be
462 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / F / London
Offline
Posted 12/15/14

sasarahsept wrote:

People trying to be "thugs" is pathetic. They don't seem to realize that if people are forced to live as thugs and to sell drugs just to keep themselves alive is not a good thing.


this was the point i was trying to make.
Posted 12/15/14 , edited 12/15/14

gintamaaa511 wrote:


aeb0717 wrote:

I break "gangster" down into several categories, but I'm only going to touch on what seems to be the overall sort discussed here. I consider two versions of it, which are the Wannabes and Bonafide Threats. I certainly don't want anything to do with the truly dangerous ones, yet it's the posers who aggravate me the most. Why? The posers tend to be more loud, brash, and cowardly; characteristics that are very contrary to my nature. I can't say that I'm bothered by the fashion and music, though I do get a good chuckle out of the sagging-thing.

Also, our definitions of smut are pretty different.


P.S. In the video, there's a bottle of Hennessy Very Special cognac sitting on a table. It's Hennessy's cheapest cognac, and a bottle of that size commonly sells for about $45. It's delicious, and particularly yummy in apple desserts. Not exactly the poster-drink of "thugs."



I totally agree with you, the posers make 80% of this so called "thug culture". I don't appreciate anything about their culture, although I have some friends who are "thugs" but are great guys if you get to know them well. I guess the problem is the environment you live in or the friends you have.



I won't knock copying a look to make millions, even if its obviously pretentious. Its good business to milk that cow.

Eh, there aren't any "thugs" here that I'm aware of, but although I like some of the music I never cared for the culture itself, or whether or not its real and the fake. LOL, what would I know about that? If the music is good, then I'll like the music, I don't care about whichever trend they are into or if its real or not. Some of its funny, but if they have no style thats their problem.

No, I don't like youth being raised to believe they have to be criminals. It isn't right, but sometimes they have to be or they'll get hurt. I wouldn't boycott a song because of it, because thats silly, it wouldn't do any good since nobody buys CDs anymore and listens to most things free, and who cares what some strange scottish woman in a faraway land is listening to. I'll listen to whatever if I'm in the mood for it.
23583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/15/14 , edited 12/15/14
As I understand it, "Thug culture" is pretty close to cosplaying (dressing up and pretending to be something you're not) so I can't condemn it.

As for people actually committing crimes, I have no respect for people who rely on society to protect them but feel they are exempt from the rules of society. If you really want to prove something, start your own society and see how you get on. Better yet, actually try to work within society to improve it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.