First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Your culture.
7645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Vietnam, Saigon
Offline
Posted 12/19/14

thestars201 wrote:


ChibiNighty wrote:

I'm from Vietnam, but what most people think when they hear Vietnam is the Vietnam War or Pho.
I love my culture and it saddens me when the only thing people think of is a war from the past.


LOL man, I love pho. I really do. I can eat it and never eat anything else ever again.


I love Pho too! My parents make me eat it almost every day
Bubble Tea goes great with Pho too
867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ihlok
Offline
Posted 12/19/14 , edited 12/19/14
i'm from india and lived in 6 different places with different cultures that i can remember. i don't know what to write here when it comes to culture, i think the older the society is, more colourful is its culture. though i'm more interested in food culture.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/14

Yuki_Narukami wrote:
I don't ask my white friends about they're culture because they'll go all into detail about how they're half irish, half british, half german etc... man I just asked if you're from America not where your ancestors are from.


Hence my wiseassery about being from irish descent. >.>

Have met too many people from XYZ countries to try and fake that my ancestor's culture is my own, and part of the reason I think Americans do it so much is because we're very much a melting pot nation, and it's a culture that is exported to so many other nations (let's admit it, "western" is pretty much code word for "american" when talking about culture), that we try to hang on to some little piece of our personal family history that makes us "unique". We also tend to take minor holiday traditions that have somehow made their way down the years and consider them "culture" when they're just regional or family traditions and differences.

Also my "Irish" ancestors haven't been Irish for nearly 400 damned years. I'm about as American as American can be.

If you're curious as to what it's like to live in NJ, rent Garden State. Rent Clerks. Skip the Jersey Shore shows. It'll give a rough idea.
Banned
118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 12/19/14
What is culture?
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/19/14
I'm from Texas. To be exact, Houston, Texas. Houston is the 4th largest city in the U.S. I've never seen anyone with a gun before and nobody talks with a country accent. I like it here.

I'm an Asian-american. I am both Chinese and Vietnamese but it's hard to explain why(no, both of my parents are from the same country, Vietnam if you're wondering.) That means that I have to learn Vietnamese, Madarin, and Cantonese, oh boy! There are a lot of Asians here and mostly Vietnamese.

It's good to know that I have different heritages and I'm proud of it!
Posted 12/19/14

ChibiNighty wrote:


thestars201 wrote:


ChibiNighty wrote:

I'm from Vietnam, but what most people think when they hear Vietnam is the Vietnam War or Pho.
I love my culture and it saddens me when the only thing people think of is a war from the past.


LOL man, I love pho. I really do. I can eat it and never eat anything else ever again.


I love Pho too! My parents make me eat it almost every day
Bubble Tea goes great with Pho too


My parents "try" to make pho and it actually doesn't taste very good. I go to a restaurant to get my fix.

Yes Bubble Tea... Tapioca or Jelly?
Posted 12/20/14 , edited 12/20/14



This thread kind of made me smile. I live in Louisiana too but I don't really like our culture. My dad was from Florida so maybe that is why lol.
I live in Southern La, A lot of people like eating Crawfish and Crabs here. I hate both of them. And we use too much cyan pepper!! I'd sure like to taste my food lol.

Mardi Gras is cool but it does get a bit ridiculous in New Orleans. I don't really consider myself a Cajun (No offense if that would be offensive) I was born here in the most Southern Part of my area, but I don't like anything really that is Cajun. Don't like the food, Except I enjoy Gumbo but that is more Creole I'd have to say.

The thing I hate the most is how others look down on where I live. Like we are inferior beings in intelligence. My friend, I'm not. I don't even have an accent either. And then again like 30 minutes from me is where the Swamp People live.
I enjoy the Cajun ideals though. Family, and friends. Cooking and have a good time listening to music or whatever. Oh and the French that is with our culture is cool too.
Edit: for more.
Music. Music is a huge part of my life but I don't like the music down here. In my area rap is big here I dislike a lot of rap. Zydeco is cool but not my thing. I am more into metal/rock and I got exiled in school because of it XD
Posted 12/20/14

onibrotonel wrote:


-tenshi wrote:

Filipinos are mostly viewed as keyboard warriors aka trash talkers (mostly bc of DOTA2), need i say more?


Is it expensive to purchase computers and have internet access in the Philippines?


I'm not a tech geek so I cant answer the first one but as for the latter, it has been a great issue that we're paying too much for our internet. We literally have the slowest average internet speed (based on the statistics I saw before) in the world. I dont think internet speed reaches 5mbps here - _ -;

But why the sudden curiosity tho? o3o
18054 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
U.S.
Offline
Posted 12/20/14

-tenshi wrote:


onibrotonel wrote:


-tenshi wrote:

Filipinos are mostly viewed as keyboard warriors aka trash talkers (mostly bc of DOTA2), need i say more?


Is it expensive to purchase computers and have internet access in the Philippines?


I'm not a tech geek so I cant answer the first one but as for the latter, it has been a great issue that we're paying too much for our internet. We literally have the slowest average internet speed (based on the statistics I saw before) in the world. I dont think internet speed reaches 5mbps here - _ -;

But why the sudden curiosity tho? o3o


I wonder why. o3o
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 12/20/14

furytime wrote:

This thread kind of made me smile. I live in Louisiana too but I don't really like our culture. My dad was from Florida so maybe that is why lol.
I live in Southern La, A lot of people like eating Crawfish and Crabs here. I hate both of them. And we use too much cyan pepper!! I'd sure like to taste my food lol.

Mardi Gras is cool but it does get a bit ridiculous in New Orleans. I don't really consider myself a Cajun (No offense if that would be offensive) I was born here in the most Southern Part of my area, but I don't like anything really that is Cajun. Don't like the food, Except I enjoy Gumbo but that is more Creole I'd have to say.

The thing I hate the most is how others look down on where I live. Like we are inferior beings in intelligence. My friend, I'm not. I don't even have an accent either. And then again like 30 minutes from me is where the Swamp People live.
I enjoy the Cajun ideals though. Family, and friends. Cooking and have a good time listening to music or whatever. Oh and the French that is with our culture is cool too.
Edit: for more.
Music. Music is a huge part of my life but I don't like the music down here. In my area rap is big here I dislike a lot of rap. Zydeco is cool but not my thing. I am more into metal/rock and I got exiled in school because of it XD


I agree with everything you just said with the exception of the cyan pepper. I am just so conditioned to that stuff...

Country and rap... they both seem to cover the same material (with tweaks to the dialect). In fact I actually know a local musician that sold some lyrics to some high profile rappers. Anyway, I'm tired of hearing the same repetitive bass-lines over and over again. I swear that over time music variety has been becoming non-existent in the US.
5651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 12/20/14

MissMagicNoodles wrote:

Just because I'm from the South DOES NOT mean that I am racist/homophobic/hateful/immature/judgemental/a redneck. Don't throw stereotypes at people.


I'm from the South too, 90% of the people in my town are rednecks, but I'm not. I ain't about that life.
920 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/20/14
i love my culture

i have no idea what it is but i love it all the same

Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/20/14
i'm from the South, i am very proud of my culture. i love our food, easy-going way of doing and living, just in general very laid back sort of people. and when people insult you they will do it in the nicest way possible, (i.e. "her outfits never match, bless her heart")
7645 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Vietnam, Saigon
Offline
Posted 12/20/14

thestars201 wrote:


ChibiNighty wrote:


thestars201 wrote:


ChibiNighty wrote:

I'm from Vietnam, but what most people think when they hear Vietnam is the Vietnam War or Pho.
I love my culture and it saddens me when the only thing people think of is a war from the past.


LOL man, I love pho. I really do. I can eat it and never eat anything else ever again.


I love Pho too! My parents make me eat it almost every day
Bubble Tea goes great with Pho too


My parents "try" to make pho and it actually doesn't taste very good. I go to a restaurant to get my fix.

Yes Bubble Tea... Tapioca or Jelly?


I love the Tapioca pearls, they're fun to chew on
What about you?
Posted 12/20/14
My culture is a lot of stuff though.

Raised Italian-American, Catholic, but also raised with a lot of Asian culture, like martial arts, anime from a young age.

It ain't my fault I guess.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.