First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Where has all the good anime gone?
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14 , edited 12/25/14

Pearsauces wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I think Ghost Hunt was an enjoyable Horror. I felt Shigoku Shoujo was repetitive and that Another had a bad ending. I feel you. I wish there were better horrors out there, but horror is such a fringe media since Day 1.


I totally think old anime is overrated.


No offense, but you're 18. Of course you think it's overrated. :P

I understand what the OP means though. t was geared more to adults and made for adults. Story mattered more and there was less that was cookie cutter and less trope heavy stuff.

Parasite dolls was one with a definite old style animation and old style story.

I will agree with you though, that the OP also is suffering from a case of nostalgia.


I disagree with this. Age means nothing because anyone can still view older series. Trigun i think is a pretty good series and i think it holds up to this day but the art didn't age well. There was also shitty anime back in the day but people forget about them.


No doubt there was a LOT of shit. And I disagree with the proposition of some of those titles listed,

BUT, the anime back then took more time to develop character and in general just took more time. I don't know how to explain it really. It's the same with old movies. Watch a movie from the 60's and it can be two hours long, and it will still feel REALLY REALLY long... Dunno why.

And that's the thing about age, I think getting some of the nuance from the context it as first viewed in, (old VHS in the earliest days of the internets, and with limited selection). I can't watch older movies and appreciate them as well as the those that saw them in a contemporaneous style. It's why some people care rewatch Record of the Lodoss War and think it's still the shit, but to me it's just plain shit.


Now about the point of the OP:

There's been a lot of really good series that were listed here worth watching. But, most of those stories still focus on the main characters being in the 13-18 age group. There really is no love for actual adults. Nobody drinks beer in an anime title these days (except, maybe, GITS:SAC). They're all underage characters. Nobody has actual sex. It's just perversion and adolescent fumbling... because they're all adolescents. Even when Appleseed got a relaunch, the characters got younger, and began acting much younger.(more like a 18-20 year old, rather than a late 20's character). Psycho-pass? The characters are still a lot closer in behavior and drawn in a style that would make one assume they're in their early 20's.

and that's what I think is what has been stated and restated over and over again.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/24/14 , edited 12/24/14

serifsansserif wrote:
There's been a lot of really good series that were listed here worth watching. But, most of those stories still focus on the main characters being in the 13-18 age group. There really is no love for actual adults. Nobody drinks beer in an anime title these days (except, maybe, GITS:SAC). They're all underage characters. Nobody has actual sex. It's just perversion and adolescent fumbling... because they're all adolescents. Even when Appleseed got a relaunch, the characters got younger, and began acting much younger.(more like a 18-20 year old, rather than a late 20's character). Psycho-pass? The characters are still a lot closer in behavior and drawn in a style that would make one assume they're in their early 20's.




You are watching the wrong shows if you think that is the case. It may not be as prevalent, or rather as graphic, as in yesteryear, but there are certainly still shows with adults drinking alcohol and having sex. A few PG-13 examples below.

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

sonic720 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:
There's been a lot of really good series that were listed here worth watching. But, most of those stories still focus on the main characters being in the 13-18 age group. There really is no love for actual adults. Nobody drinks beer in an anime title these days (except, maybe, GITS:SAC). They're all underage characters. Nobody has actual sex. It's just perversion and adolescent fumbling... because they're all adolescents. Even when Appleseed got a relaunch, the characters got younger, and began acting much younger.(more like a 18-20 year old, rather than a late 20's character). Psycho-pass? The characters are still a lot closer in behavior and drawn in a style that would make one assume they're in their early 20's.




You are watching the wrong shows if you think that is the case. It may not be as prevalent, or rather as graphic, as in yesteryear, but there are certainly still shows with adults drinking alcohol and having sex. A few PG-13 examples below.



*sigh* I stand corrected I suppose. But yes, as even you point out, not as prevalent, not as graphic. And it's not the specific acts there and in themselves. It's like those that think blood in an anime title makes it "adult"... It really doesn't. Whichis what makes the particular nuance and feel that those that voice such a complaint hard to put into words...
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 12/24/14 , edited 12/24/14
I'll be honest I don't think there are as many bad anime as people say there are. I'm not trying to sound like some extremist that thinks anime is a gift from God and is perfect, but people seem to have to high of standards. I would say most anime is just meh and that's it. It's not common to come across a true piece of shit anime and it's not common to come across a masterpiece. Even with a lot of the anime that I hated, I could think of at least one thing I did enjoy about it. I did not like the anime Another, but the last several episodes I thought were rather exciting. I personally wouldn't recommend Another to someone as I feel like I've seen better and it didn't impress me, but I would never go as far as to call the series shit. Another just wasn't to my taste and that's all. The Big Three are a great example as they are by no means masterpieces and are not that great. However the Big Three are still enjoyable and there are things that I do enjoy about them.
I'm not really gonna recommend anything as some have already recommended anime I would. However I did not see Baccano. So go watch Baccano if you haven't seen it.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

serifsansserif wrote:
*sigh* I stand corrected I suppose. But yes, as even you point out, not as prevalent, not as graphic. And it's not the specific acts there and in themselves. It's like those that think blood in an anime title makes it "adult"... It really doesn't. Whichis what makes the particular nuance and feel that those that voice such a complaint hard to put into words...


If you are just looking for newer shows with adult characters that are in prominent roles regardless of "adult themes" I can list some recent examples:



Note: some still have teenage MC's but are more ensemble cast shows, so adult characters are heavily featured in them too. This is just from shows I've personally seen, there are many more than this. Some are fanservice heavy, while others moderate, and others not much if at all.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

Ctonhunter wrote:

I'll be honest I don't think there are as many bad anime as people say there are. I'm not trying to sound like some extremist that thinks anime is a gift from God and is perfect, but people seem to have to high of standards. I would say most anime is just meh and that's it. It's not common to come across a true piece of shit anime and it's not common to come across a masterpiece. Even with a lot of the anime that I hated, I could think of at least one thing I did enjoy about it. I did not like the anime Another, but the last several episodes I thought were rather exciting. I personally wouldn't recommend Another to someone as I feel like I've seen better and it didn't impress me, but I would never go as far as to call the series shit. Another just wasn't to my taste and that's all. The Big Three are a great example as they are by no means masterpieces and are not that great. However the Big Three are still enjoyable and there are things that I do enjoy about them.
I'm not really gonna recommend anything as some have already recommended anime I would. However I did not see Baccano. So go watch Baccano if you haven't seen it.


I don't disagree with you. Most anime is just "meh" and you forget it as quickly as you watch it. Also, your standards do start to rise. I find it's the repetitiveness and the volume that exacerbate the problem. It's not just a random occurrence when I read a synopsis of a anime and immediately mistake it for another with almost word for word the same story. Recently been going through my anime list. Clannad, Kanon, ef, and some other one... I honestly could not tell which was which and I've watch most of all of them.

It's like anime purgatory really, and the more you're stuck in it, the more you get pissed off about the situation. Like do I really need 3 seasons of Minami-ke or HS DXD? Is there anything really to add to Bakamonogatari? (even though I absolutely loved two of those series...) And even if it's not the same series, if it has the same exact story/plot, is it really worth watching?
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

sonic720 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:
*sigh* I stand corrected I suppose. But yes, as even you point out, not as prevalent, not as graphic. And it's not the specific acts there and in themselves. It's like those that think blood in an anime title makes it "adult"... It really doesn't. Whichis what makes the particular nuance and feel that those that voice such a complaint hard to put into words...


If you are just looking for newer shows with adult characters that are in prominent roles regardless of "adult themes" I can list some recent examples:



Note: some still have teenage MC's but are more ensemble cast shows, so adult characters are heavily featured in them too. This is just from shows I've personally seen, there are many more than this. Some are fanservice heavy, while others moderate, and others not much if at all.


Why the fuck does everyone decide to hand me an anime list like I haven't watched 90% of the same titles as they have already?

Besides, I'm not the OP.
56915 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

serifsansserif wrote:
Why the fuck does everyone decide to hand me an anime list like I haven't watched 90% of the same titles as they have already?

Besides, I'm not the OP.


Just trying to help you find shows you might like since you seemed to be saying you were looking for some based on your previous posts.

Also, Merry Christmas!
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

sonic720 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:
Why the fuck does everyone decide to hand me an anime list like I haven't watched 90% of the same titles as they have already?

Besides, I'm not the OP.


Just trying to help you find shows you might like since you seemed to be saying you were looking for some based on your previous posts.

Also, Merry Christmas!



Holy shit. It is now christmas. O.o

Merry Christmas to you too.

I'm not looking for anything at the moment. I'm a bit overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time right now. A lot to watching, nothing standing out enough to get THAT excited about, and what I might have an interest in, isn't being streamed legally, and I'm too lazy to search for a decent torrent site and it all takes way too much damned time for me anyhow).

I'm also wavering on continuing to watch season after season... like I said, it's starting to feel more like purgatory than something enjoyable.
4193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 12/24/14 , edited 12/24/14
Just gonna leave this here from another forum(which I cannot link because CR deems that forum "illegal"):


Originally Posted by Zoltor
What are you talking about, I actually started watching anime in the 80s, the whole ecchi BS, and fanservice in general, didn't really start until the early 2000s(The whole Felicia thing in MvC 2, pretty much kick started the whole fan service trend)

These past few years or so though, they've been adding ecchi to anime that have good premises. It would seem that due to people knowing beforehand, that anything in the ecchi genre is gonna be a stinking pile of shit, they have now decided to try tricking people into watching such POS, by giving X anime a interesting premise.

Lol but I'm no newbie to anime or marketing tactics, those idiots will never beable to trick me into watching their no effort anime crap that they dare pass off as a product.

Are you kidding me, TV gets away with anything, and everything these days. I wish Ecchi, and fanservice were banned. Also while you're at it, ban Blood & gore as well, so then companies would have no choice what so ever, but to have a high quality anime(great story, great char, great music, great art, ect), in order for it to sell

Originally Posted by Aohige
If you say you've been watching since the 80s and claim this, you must have been watching very selectively.
I assume you are familiar with just anime you got your hands on in the west?

I grew up in Japan in the 80s, and there were TONS of sexual innuendos and fanservice than than the early 2000+
The biggest difference would be, the sexual innuendos were mostly played for gags in the 80s, while some of the titles today actually makes it a underline theme.
(There are exceptions of course. The one particular shocking murder sex scene in Cobra nearly traumatized me )

But it was definitely not "less fanservice-y".

I've spent two decades of my life in Japan, and I'm telling you, your views on fan service are VERY selection biased.


Also looking for an actual good "mature" anime?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/puella-magi-madoka-magica

If you dismiss Madoka Magica as a girl show before even trying then well your loss and probably why you can't find these "mature" animes.
15294 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/24/14

thezackgarner wrote:

I remember watching Ninja Scroll for the first time. I saw beautiful artwork and phenomenal character designs. I remember actually being scared of the villains. In fact, Tessai (The Rock Demon) still gives me the creeps. I remember grungy shows like Cyber City: Oedo, Mad Bull: 34, and Goku: Midnight Eye. These were grungy cop shows full of vulgar language, strip clubs, bad guys that you hated, and main characters that you loved despite their flaws. Parasite Dolls was the last animated series that I saw that made me feel nostalgia for those days. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost in the Shell: SOC.

Somewhere between the mid 90s and today, TV got flooded with shounen series. Shows that are popular with young adults and typically marketed to teenage boys. These shows are lovable for the same reasons that they are bad. I am sure that I don't need to go into detail. When you've seen Dragonball Z, Yuyu Hakusho, HunterxHunter, Naruto, Bleach, Fist of the Northstar, Akame ga Kill, etc., you begin to see annoying patterns. Why is it that the best of anime is hard to find these days?

If there is anybody out there that knows where to find the good shit, please comment. I won't say that Seinen cop shows are the only good movies/ series out there, but I'd rather not see another show about ki blasts and boobs. I'd like to see some horror. Anything for mature audiences that isn't hentai.


subjection.
70040 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Online
Posted 12/24/14 , edited 12/24/14

serifsansserif wrote:

It's why some people can rewatch Record of the Lodoss War and think it's still the shit, but to me it's just plain shit.

I love the art style though.



But it is absolutely Pen & Paper Fantasy RPG: The Anime, which does make it pretty pigeonholed.
56932 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 12/25/14

Bored_Ming wrote:
Ok I'll shut up now...


As a Flash Gordon (1980) fan, I have to tip my hat, o merciless one. Not to shutting up, just in general.

And Lodoss is a classic. ... No, correction, the OAVs are a classic. The TV series is shite.
41649 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 12/25/14
There's still some decent ones out, not as many as I'd like there to be
But there's still a lot of decent anime, and good anime out.
15011 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/25/14 , edited 12/26/14

thezackgarner wrote:

I remember watching Ninja Scroll for the first time. I saw beautiful artwork and phenomenal character designs. I remember actually being scared of the villains. In fact, Tessai (The Rock Demon) still gives me the creeps. I remember grungy shows like Cyber City: Oedo, Mad Bull: 34, and Goku: Midnight Eye. These were grungy cop shows full of vulgar language, strip clubs, bad guys that you hated, and main characters that you loved despite their flaws. Parasite Dolls was the last animated series that I saw that made me feel nostalgia for those days. I thoroughly enjoyed Ghost in the Shell: SOC.

Somewhere between the mid 90s and today, TV got flooded with shounen series. Shows that are popular with young adults and typically marketed to teenage boys. These shows are lovable for the same reasons that they are bad. I am sure that I don't need to go into detail. When you've seen Dragonball Z, Yuyu Hakusho, HunterxHunter, Naruto, Bleach, Fist of the Northstar, Akame ga Kill, etc., you begin to see annoying patterns. Why is it that the best of anime is hard to find these days?

If there is anybody out there that knows where to find the good shit, please comment. I won't say that Seinen cop shows are the only good movies/ series out there, but I'd rather not see another show about ki blasts and boobs. I'd like to see some horror. Anything for mature audiences that isn't hentai.


It's always easy to look at the past with rose-coloured glasses and remember the good old days. But you must be critical if you are to be accurate. Is your view tainted by the fact that back then anime was 'new and wonderful' and thus more magical? Are your views tainted by the fact that the first 5 shows you watched were of a certain genre, and that's what you expected all of anime to be like? Because of that, is there selection bias in what you believe in?

Perhaps you are also not thinking critically enough. As with all media (books, movies, TV shows, music, anime) 95% of all that's produced is not memorable, 4% is good but will be forgotten, and only 1% will be remembered. For ever Mozart, there were 100s of composers whom you've never heard of who were all composing at the same time. Similarly with anime, most of the shows released (in ANY time period) will sort of suck. If you focus too hard on the shows that aren't any good (or don't pass what you think is good) you will miss the forest within the trees.

There's been an incredible amount of A+++ to tier anime produced in the last 15 years that you cannot just brush off.

Pantheon-level anime (required viewing IMO):
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Death Note
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (at least the first season)
Honey & Clover
Nodame Cantabile
The Twelve Kingdoms
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Kill la Kill
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (the one shonen series I'd recommend)
Full Metal Panic (series)

Highly recommended:
Macross Frontier
Sword Art Online (well first season at least)
Attack on Titan
Planetes
Mai-HiME
Uchuu no Stellvia
Gundam SEED (season 1 only please!)
Toward the Terra
Seirei no Moribito
The Daughter of Twenty Faces
Dennou Coil
Kannagi
Toradora!
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

And I'm not even listing some personal favorites that I know most people wouldn't care for either...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.