Kino's Journey
12028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/27/14
Kino's Journey is about Kino, a traveling woman, and a motorrad (Note: A two-wheeled vehicle. Only to note that it cannot fly.) Hermes who journey from land to land, experiencing extensive variations in cultures and technologies. In Kino's world, there seems to be an endless supply of lands, from empires to small countries, to which Kino and Hermes could go, but she maintains her rule to stay only for three days in any land, except for maybe one exception. Nevertheless, Kino's Journey offers an in-depth perspective into, indeed, fantastical countries, such as "Land of Couples -Even a Dog Doesn't Eat-", where the laws in the country are such that private lives between married couples are so privileged from public life that domestic abuse is permitted, although no one may go so far as to murder another individual, and depicts how human beings may operate day-to-day in such environments always, of course, from the perspective of a traveller. However, what I believe many people who have watched the anime should agree is that the elements of each of those countries do seem to have some truth in the real world in which we all live, and that characteristic, at least for me, is what makes the series so fascinating. At the least, I would say the anime deserves a play for anyone who has not seen it already.

If memory serves me right, I found the anime five something years ago, and I was utterly hooked. I enjoy it in much the same way as Detective Conan, or Case Closed in terms of the American title. Certainly, there is an overarching storyline to Detective Conan, and I do not mind it. What makes me enjoy the anime, however, is each episode or connected series of episodes, for every mystery that is solved. The particular methods of murder for each of those mysteries is specifically interesting to find out each time, but, most of all, there seems to be a sort of diversity of experience to the viewer that seems to be characteristic of this genre exemplified by Detective Conan. That diversity seems to be the intention of the artists who design these types of series. In much the same way as Detective Conan, I enjoy Kino's Journey because, although there is certainly at least somewhat of an overarching storyline, each episode, each land to which Kino and Hermes travel, is truly fascinating, with the creator being acutely able to flush out all the underlying socioeconomic implications that should be considered with people living together in whatever particular arrangement in which they happen to be living. I have also seen many reviewers of the anime state that they have had to rewatch specific episodes, because the message of most episodes is not overt and is surely not preachy. A lot of the material is surely something on which a lot of people could meditate.

At thirteen episodes and two films, the series is rather short-lived in the anime world, I will admit to my disappointment. I was aware that the series is based upon light novels, but I just assumed that the light novels probably had maybe a tiny bit more content than the anime. However, only recently have I checked in full, and the light novel is almost like a treasure trove to anyone who loves the anime. There are already eighteen volumes of the series, and more are coming. I believe eight million purchases of the light novels have been accrued since the inception. I have been reading from the middle of this month, and I have only finished four volumes so far. I would therefore submit the question: should the anime return for a longer run? It could be treated like the Hunter X Hunter (2011) series, which began from scratch, even though a predecessor already started it off to the Greed Island Arc. In a way, with Kino's Journey, it does not matter, as there is no exact chronology anyways, and a lot of the stories from the original anime could simply be remade at irregular intervals. I will assert, however, that, as a whole, the eighteen volumes could without question provide content for fifty episodes, and one hundred episodes would be no stretch. A lot of those stories also seem almost to require some sort of moving picture, as there are restrictions in the medium of text regarding action scenes, which Kino's Journey surely does have from time to time. Of course, as with all television, ratings are a big factor, and maybe it may have been the reason that the series was cancelled in the first place ten or so years ago originally. Nevertheless, I would say that the series in these times should have a substantial audience in Japan, or at least one internationally on Crunchy Roll for one, as I think a lot of anime fans nowadays do have a fondness for philosophical sort of anime, such as Death Note.

So, what do you say? Should Kino's Journey return as a new anime series?
71056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/14
I like shows like Kino's Journey and Mushishi, which enhances my anticipation for Death Parade next season. But considering how sublime Kino's Journey was, I wonder if a longer run wouldn't be too much of a good thing.
8121 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / qtπ
Offline
Posted 12/27/14 , edited 12/27/14

Insomnist wrote:

I like shows like Kino's Journey and Mushishi, which enhances my anticipation for Death Parade next season. But considering how sublime Kino's Journey was, I wonder if a longer run wouldn't be too much of a good thing.


It wouldn't, honestly.

The anime barely scratched the surface of Kino no Tabi, and another season would bring even better tales than were shown in the original adaptation. The novels are utterly fantastic, and more of them should be seen. I'm all for it.
7415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/14
I pretty much fell in love with Kino's Journey the same time THEPLATINUMHOUSE did it seems (although, I don't think I ever thought about the fact that is must have a manga or LNs, now I'll have to look for them). The series had meat you seldom see these days with most series seeming somewhat cookie-cutter conforming to set templates. I'd love to see a sequal series more than a remake but honestly I'd take either if they were possible. Even an OVA or new movie would be great at this point in time.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/27/14

THEPLATINUMHOUSE wrote:

At thirteen episodes and two films, the series is rather short-lived in the anime world, I will admit to my disappointment. I was aware that the series is based upon light novels, but I just assumed that the light novels probably had maybe a tiny bit more content than the anime. However, only recently have I checked in full, and the light novel is almost like a treasure trove to anyone who loves the anime. There are already eighteen volumes of the series, and more are coming. I believe eight million purchases of the light novels have been accrued since the inception. I have been reading from the middle of this month, and I have only finished four volumes so far


Where are you finding them!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

only one has been allowed to be published in the US due to the publisher fucking up the order and pissing off the writer.
71056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 12/27/14

kdroberts wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

I like shows like Kino's Journey and Mushishi, which enhances my anticipation for Death Parade next season. But considering how sublime Kino's Journey was, I wonder if a longer run wouldn't be too much of a good thing.


It wouldn't, honestly.

The anime barely scratched the surface of Kino no Tabi, and another season would bring even better tales than were shown in the original adaptation. The novels are utterly fantastic, and more of them should be seen. I'm all for it.

In that case bring on all the things, if they're bad I can just write them out of my headcanon.
12028 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 12/27/14 , edited 12/27/14

serifsansserif wrote:


THEPLATINUMHOUSE wrote:

At thirteen episodes and two films, the series is rather short-lived in the anime world, I will admit to my disappointment. I was aware that the series is based upon light novels, but I just assumed that the light novels probably had maybe a tiny bit more content than the anime. However, only recently have I checked in full, and the light novel is almost like a treasure trove to anyone who loves the anime. There are already eighteen volumes of the series, and more are coming. I believe eight million purchases of the light novels have been accrued since the inception. I have been reading from the middle of this month, and I have only finished four volumes so far


Where are you finding them!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

only one has been allowed to be published in the US due to the publisher fucking up the order and pissing off the writer.


You should find all the translated volumes at the following: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Kino_no_Tabi#Volume_18! The website is incredibly cognizant of all the legality regarding translations. For example, they will not translate Volume I because of its being licensed; however, the copyright owners seem to be fine with all the other volumes being published, and they certainly do not seem to be licensed. In any case, anyone who loves the anime will love the light novels. In many cases, a lot of the stories are supplied in more detail than in the anime. However, one thing I will say is that there are some action chapters interspersed throughout the light novels, but they seem to require treatment by being animated or reenacted on film. It really is nothing about the writing itself but the simple restrictions that the entire medium of text faces, as I mentioned. You should see for yourself in "Land of Heroes -No Hero-" in Volume V. I mean, honestly, I just kind of get confused because of all I have to remember in a lengthy action scene in text, because the characters keep moving around the map, which I never get to see in the first place. If that chapter is animated, however, I would say that it would be absolutely brilliant and exciting for the viewer. So, I think the action chapters in the light novels give even more impetus to an animation.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 12/27/14

THEPLATINUMHOUSE wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


THEPLATINUMHOUSE wrote:

At thirteen episodes and two films, the series is rather short-lived in the anime world, I will admit to my disappointment. I was aware that the series is based upon light novels, but I just assumed that the light novels probably had maybe a tiny bit more content than the anime. However, only recently have I checked in full, and the light novel is almost like a treasure trove to anyone who loves the anime. There are already eighteen volumes of the series, and more are coming. I believe eight million purchases of the light novels have been accrued since the inception. I have been reading from the middle of this month, and I have only finished four volumes so far


Where are you finding them!?!??!?!?!?!?!!?

only one has been allowed to be published in the US due to the publisher fucking up the order and pissing off the writer.


You should find all the translated volumes at the following: http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Kino_no_Tabi#Volume_18! The website is incredibly cognizant of all the legality regarding translations. For example, they will not translate Volume I because of its being licensed; however, the copyright owners seem to be fine with all the other volumes being published, and they certainly do not seem to be licensed. In any case, anyone who loves the anime will love the light novels. In many cases, a lot of the stories are supplied in more detail than in the anime. However, one thing I will say is that there are some action chapters interspersed throughout the light novels, but they seem to require treatment by being animated or reenacted on film. It really is nothing about the writing itself but the simple restrictions that the entire medium of text faces, as I mentioned. You should see for yourself in "Land of Heroes -No Hero-" in Volume V. I mean, honestly, I just kind of get confused because of all I have to remember in a lengthy action scene in text, because the characters keep moving around the map, which I never get to see in the first place. If that chapter is animated, however, I would say that it would be absolutely brilliant and exciting for the viewer. So, I think the action chapters in the light novels give even more impetus to an animation.


Thanks.

I spent YEARS looking for these. I finally just gave up. I think I found one of the main translator's sites, and have been able to snag PDF's, except for 11, and 13-18... (easier to load to a kindle and just read as I go places).

I'm shocked the copyright holders said "yeah, just go for it". Totally awesome.
Sailor Candy Moderator
200577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28
Offline
Posted 12/27/15
"Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no activity since 2014."
You must be logged in to post.