Created by Shmerber
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you believe in a god or gods?
17299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15
I feel like a 6th option is needed here. The possibility of an omnipotent being is possible, similar to how we (humans) are to bacteria. I mean factor that up to 11 and you've got a case for a being similar to a god. However it probably couldn't care less about our universe or even humanity to be perfectly honest.

So I guess: "One could exist, but it probably doesn't care about us" would be my $0.02
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15

Shmerber wrote:

I'm very curious as to the beliefs spanning across Crunchyroll. Thanks. ~ Shmerber

This pole is in direct response to this.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-851075/the-scientific-theory-of-evolution-has-no-holes-so-why-are-there-still-theists?pg=0

Also I'd like to make a point and say that if you're not sure, you haven't really thought about it or if you don't care your answer should be or should be leaning towards no.


Not a mod (thank god, lol), but do we really need any more theist vs atheist threads??? Like the "Are you single?", "Why are you single?", "Are you single, and if so, why?" threads and such, these are all one thread made over and over to ellicit different responses and, in this case of religion, cause unnecessary division among members. You could have continued from the other thread and re-directed the discussion.



But to answer the OP question, yeah, personally I think there is. Always have. There has to be a reason for all of this to begin with before the big bang, an entity was there to facilitate the big bang imho.
48419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
I believe in the God of Israel
11280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Nah, and definitely not any from any described religion. Those explanations are very silly and unbelievable.
Polytheism seem more likely then monotheism to me though if I have to choose, since the chaos in the world would then be result of a bunch of compromises of different opinions from the Gods, but they could agree on some things, like the physical law of nature for example.

The Matrix theory is even more interesting though, since the Big Bang would be explained by someone starting the program. Before Big Bang, there was unused RAM. It just shifts the question to how the universe that the world that created the Matrix was created, but it's still an interesting theory imo.

I answered "No" in the poll, but "I don't know" is also a correct answer for me. (I'm an agnostic atheist)
68549 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
I'm an agnostic atheist. I officially left Christianity a few years back.
3053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 1/3/15

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

I feel like a 6th option is needed here. The possibility of an omnipotent being is possible, similar to how we (humans) are to bacteria. I mean factor that up to 11 and you've got a case for a being similar to a god. However it probably couldn't care less about our universe or even humanity to be perfectly honest.


Has this ever been depicted in tv/film/books? I've thought about the idea a lot.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Oh God not another debate thread
12034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Online
Posted 1/3/15

ErikoDesu wrote:


zero1200 wrote:

Jesus Christ is my savior.


Clap your hands for the Lord xD


I once had a stripper "clap her ass for the lord"

...because we went on a Sunday
17299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15

skeepnunkey wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

I feel like a 6th option is needed here. The possibility of an omnipotent being is possible, similar to how we (humans) are to bacteria. I mean factor that up to 11 and you've got a case for a being similar to a god. However it probably couldn't care less about our universe or even humanity to be perfectly honest.


Has this ever been depicted in tv/film/books? I've thought about the idea a lot.


Unfortunately no, it hasn't. I just look at this type of crap as logically as possible with something like this and try and think out how it could possibly work. There is no way God as described by religion would be possible. We would be less than bacteria in its eyes, why would it want to waste its time manipulating our very existence? It's illogical at its core. A being of this power could exist in something like the multiverse or the motherverse but it makes no sense as to why it would mess with our lives or even do so with such precision, it just doesn't make sense.

I mean sure it'll make people feel good that something is controlling something that is inherently out of their control but still, that's just a safety net for one's own insecurity with the uncertainty of life. I'd rather live without total control in my life than live in fear of the unknown.
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15


Hotstonez wrote:

I disagree. Lack of evidence points a lack of existence. If it doesn't exist (ie a theistic god) then it's a negative argument. If you cannot prove it's existence or lack thereof therefore the onus lies on the believer to prove their belief. Of course they cannot, so my point is proven.


I'm sorry I don't think you understood what I was trying to say (Probably a failure on my part) I was commenting on how you CAN disprove a negative. I didn't say anything about "Lack of evidence points a lack of existence" or rather the opposite of that.

Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15
of course not. I don't believe something created everything and then retreated back into some unknown dimension refusing to interact with any of its creations besides the "chosen" people. it makes 0 sense to me.
and what is the point of creating a space that is billion of light years across that nobody can travel to??? to entertain humans?

the origin of the universe and human self awareness are big mysteries. but if you look at the bigger picture, we're nothing but stardusts, everyone and everything are made of atoms and stuffs. it's universal, nobody/nothing is special. we must function according to the laws of physics and mathematics.

stars are born and stars die. galaxies must move somewhere. energy cannot be created or destroyed. when you die, your energy remains in this universe, you don't get transferred anywhere else. your consciousness dies with your physical body. your atoms rearrange into something else that other organisms can use.

i'm not saying science proves that religion/god is false; i'm just saying my understanding of science has allowed me to accept that things act according to the law of physics. there is no creator needed.
48419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 1/3/15

ErikoDesu wrote:

All the time?! "God is good."
God is good?! "All the time."

Try yelling that at a CYM (Catholic Youth Ministry) group and expect those responses xD

(PS ily God)


Been there , done that
41854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Sure, I believe in gods. The idea seems comforting, so why not? I still assume responsibility for my own thoughts and actions. (And when I say that the idea seems comforting, I mean that the idea seems comforting. I certainly don't expect the gods themselves to be overly accommodating or comforting.)
72836 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Central KY.
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
I'm as agnostic as can Be, but would totally still delve more into the subject of learning about different Causes and Beliefs. My mind is constantly being made up each Day. I struggle with issues about certain things; always another Decision to be made. Really, the "Golden Rule" is the only "Creed" that Man should live by. It explains things enough!
27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
I do believe in God. That is all.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.