First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Watching violence makes you aggressive
11280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/15

HollowHokage wrote:

Do you think people who frequently watch violent movies, tv programs, animes, whatever make them more violent or aggressive in thoughts and/or behavior?
Yes, but only if the shows and movies really suck.

Posted 1/3/15
Not if the person has a life, or is grounded sufficiently in reality. However, it shouldn't be someone's foundation i.e. education, that... might cause problems clashing with and killing normal people later in life..
18398 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / savannah
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
some thing would have to be wrong with you from the get go for a game or movie do make you do any thing. So it would not be the movie or game that really did it. Think you will find that the thing the most killers do is read not watch movies or play games. they did a study on it.
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15

horriblis wrote:

some thing would have to be wrong with you from the get go for a game or movie do make you do any thing. So it would not be the movie or game that really did it. Think you will find that the thing the most killers do is read not watch movies or play games. they did a study on it.


thats true. and also another reason why there are age restrictions on mature-themed material. Mature meaning in that regard a mature mind capable of distinguishing the fiction from the real world. After a certain age its expected by society for a normal person to be able to differentiate from fantasy and reality and know right from wrong., although most people know that long before at a very early age. It depends on that person, genetics and such in the end I suppose. I wouldn't have a 6-year old in my care playing gta and watching Kill Bill vol. 2, though, either.
27508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Online
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15
Yes, definitely yes and I can answer that with first-hand experience.

I have watched so many violent animes and played violent games, and afterwards, it just makes me think.. "Well I already hated the world and wanted to see it destroyed, but now that feeling is obviously even stronger". I then have to basically isolate myself from the world otherwise I'll just snap at anyone who even stands in my presence.
3053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15
I don't believe violence affects most people. Anyone with the capacity to seriously commit violent acts against people without much thought has bigger problems that censoring media won't fix.
11280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Watching animal cruelty, cruelty against children, and religious wars on the news, now THAT triggers my anger and makes me want to erradicate some people from the face of the earth and just eliminate parts of our world and society entirely.

Once I start playing a violent or nonviolent games, watch some porn, or a violent or nonviolent movie or serie that I like, all that hatred goes away and I enjoy life instead.

As long as I know that the violence is just fiction, it doesn't concern me, except in some cases like Hostel and sick movies like that. I don't become violent from that kind of violent fiction, but I do feel sick, disgusted and uncomfortable.
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Jack Thompson tried to say something similar about video games.

He was wrong.

Anita Sarkeesian is now also trying to say something similar about video games.

She's just as wrong.
31952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Iowa
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
Reading about violence making other people violent makes me violent.
2655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Hell
Offline
Posted 1/3/15
I doubt it. I think it depends on the state of the viewers mind and their mental health. I do not think watching violence makes you aggressive and I find it dumb when people blame things with heavy violence for their actions. Unless you have some type of trigger or mental illness that makes that happen, you should be fine.
867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ihlok
Offline
Posted 1/3/15

GayAsianBoy wrote:

"violent video games will make kids become violent" - anonymous parent. *goes home, gives own kids a smack in the head for stealing a cookie or something*

people are really hypocritical with what they say and do. I think violent children are caused by direct violence on them, not from watching/playing violent movies/games. (It doesn't necessarily have to be a parent, it can be an uncle, older sibling etc).

exactly. children learn bad behaviour mostly from their acquaintances.
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/4/15

Pean-p wrote:

I doubt it. I think it depends on the state of the viewers mind and their mental health. I do not think watching violence makes you aggressive and I find it dumb when people blame things with heavy violence for their actions. Unless you have some type of trigger or mental illness that makes that happen, you should be fine.


Never underestimate the subtle insidious effect a harmful stimulus might have on the unaware mind. The subconscious is poorly understood and moreso by anyone not a mental health professional. I dare not believe anyone is immune to years of exposure to violent media and content that is the real, modern, world. "What we let into our lives may be sustained but never endured."

To know it is not to shy away from it however, but to see it for what it is, and know what it is capable of. Mental health is rarely static, and depends on self-awareness, does it not?

I'm as bloodthirsty a gamer as anyone, and I like many action and scary movies, just saying ...
Posted 1/3/15

symphonicecho wrote:

Never underestimate the subtle insidious effect a harmful stimulus might have on the unaware mind. The subconscious is poorly understood and moreso by anyone not a mental health professional. I dare not believe anyone is immune to years of exposure to violent media and content that is the real, modern, world. "What we let into our lives may be sustained but never endured."

To know it is not to shy away from it however, but to see it for what it is, and know what it is capable of. Mental health is rarely static, and depends on self-awareness, does it not?

I'm as bloodthirsty a gamer as anyone, and I like many action and scary movies, just saying ...


you've submitted to the conspiracy
Posted 1/3/15

-mockingbird wrote:


symphonicecho wrote:

Never underestimate the subtle insidious effect a harmful stimulus might have on the unaware mind. The subconscious is poorly understood and moreso by anyone not a mental health professional. I dare not believe anyone is immune to years of exposure to violent media and content that is the real, modern, world. "What we let into our lives may be sustained but never endured."

To know it is not to shy away from it however, but to see it for what it is, and know what it is capable of. Mental health is rarely static, and depends on self-awareness, does it not?

I'm as bloodthirsty a gamer as anyone, and I like many action and scary movies, just saying ...


you've submitted to the conspiracy


No, I just see both sides of it.
Posted 1/3/15 , edited 1/3/15
Do I think it makes you more violent all the time and unequivocally? No.

Do I think it influences your thoughts and behaviors? Yes, along with everything else we watch and read. And no, I don't think age matters, unless you are so young or so old that you literally cannot comprehend what you are watching or reading.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.