First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Watching violence makes you aggressive
7 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
This is an actual topic in Psychology that i've studied recently. Within this topic, behaviour is split up into antisocial and pro-social acts. There are a number of studies that you can find pretty easily even with just a google search but taking a few of those as being correct will leave you with a false impression unfortunately as there are large numbers of sources that contradict themselves and so really it's up to your interpretation of them. I choose to believe it has a genuine effect on a person. Not to the extent the the media has been presenting it, as children going out to try and rob people because of GTA, but slight personality changes that may make them more aggressive. This is true especially in cases where people admire and respect a character that acts aggressively as they will try and copy their behaviour, this is called social learning. I mainly choose to believe it because of studies into pro social behaviour though, where there are concrete findings. For example, in a study done in Japan, students were given either a pro-social game (let's say something like sonic) to play or a violent game to play. They played the games for 2 weeks and were asked to keep a diary of their experiences for a few months. The students who played the pro-social game were found to be more helpful, friendly and accepting than those who played the antisocial games up to a period of 3 months wherein they began to act as they once did completely. Now i know that there are issues with the study, some of the people from the beginning may have been more altruistic anyway but this was done multiple and the finding remains relatively constant. I think that if it works this way, then how can antisocial games also not affect you, at least in a slight way.
TL;DR: I think they do affect you yeah, just not to the point that media are trying to get you to believe and any behaviour you develop is likely to be in the short term
Posted 1/4/15
Isn't there studies that say yes? I don't mind it so much, it is quite a stretch to blame violent movies for turning ordinary people into violent psychopaths or whatsits.
8077 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / Playing Joust
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
I'm not easily influenced and i know what is right and what's wrong. Generally i am a violent person (not like beat the shit out of everyone because i can) but nothing ever really happens for me to express that violence on other people. For example: if someone was bullying my friends and started to push/shove my friend i would be that guy that throws the first punch. But even though i'm just a 16 yr old that watches anime and play's games. I seen to be very intimidating when i get serious/mad so people don't tend to go through with their harassment when it's me. Atleast to people at my School.
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15
Anything violent can tip the scales and make a good person snap. Its foolish and dishonest to say no. Don't blame it on a stigma such as mental illness


NO, I am NOT for or against the advocacy or control of violent media. Violence, for good or bad, shapes us. Thats what boot camp is for, to ready a mind for the reality of a combat scenario, and the chaos that surrounds a person on the ground in a war zone

its NEITHER good nor bad.. IS a gun good or bad? No?

violent games can be a good tool for venting , as they can also be misusued as a tool for indoctrinating, training antisocial behaviour

its not black and white. One sided arguments are unbalanced. I am NOT advocating Control, but moderation.

Mental illness is an excuse , mental illness can develop LATER in life as well as SOONER.. and its no EXCUSE for violence!. Everything in moderation.
37405 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 1/4/15
No one, and I mean no one really believes any of that. Or there wouldn't be one single TV show, not a single movie, not a single cartoon, not a single music video, not a single video game with any kind of violence portrayed in it. Not a single one.

All of that crap about media causing people to be violent is just crap from people with agenda's against something.
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15
watching people struggle with simple tasks makes me aggressive
Posted 1/4/15

symphonicecho wrote:

Anything violent can tip the scales and make a good person snap. Its foolish and dishonest to say no. Don't blame it on a stigma such as mental illness


I disagree. Only someone without the right mental faculties would be so affected by portrayal of violence in media. I'm not saying it doesn't affect one negatively, but I don't believe either that a "good" person can snap just like that.
Posted 1/4/15
Everything around us , our environments, shape us, slowly, but surely. There is no one so insensitive that walks through blazing infernos like they're superman unscathed in the real world. WWII shaped the world, as did September 11 shaped us

As we age you'll see...the young are unaware of the toll it takes on a person's mind in the long term .


talk all the bullshit you want
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15

symphonicecho wrote:

Everything around us , our environments, shape us, slowly, but surely. There is no one so insensitive that walks through blazing infernos like they're superman unscathed in the real world. WWII shaped the world, as did September 11 shaped us

As we age you'll see...the young are unaware of the toll it takes on a person's mind in the long term .


talk all the bullshit you want


Do you have proof is what I am asking. In my opinion, yes, we are more callous as a result of these things, but I think it is a stretch to say a good person can snap just like that. Youth violence has gone down as the internet and video games have increased in popularity. If you do not have any studies supporting your statement, it's no more than conjecture.

http://techliberation.com/2010/02/09/violent-video-games-youth-violence-what-does-real-world-evidence-suggest/

I do believe it causes aggression, but I don't believe it create criminals. I think Mental illness is more of a factor than some people realize. We shouldn't ignore it. That being said, people should really read the ratings on video games. Too many obnoxious 12 year olds on COD or whatever you people play.
Posted 1/4/15

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


symphonicecho wrote:

Anything violent can tip the scales and make a good person snap. Its foolish and dishonest to say no. Don't blame it on a stigma such as mental illness


I disagree. Only someone without the right mental faculties would be so affected by portrayal of violence in media. I'm not saying it doesn't affect one negatively, but I don't believe either that a "good" person can snap just like that.





PeripheralVisionary wrote:


symphonicecho wrote:

Everything around us , our environments, shape us, slowly, but surely. There is no one so insensitive that walks through blazing infernos like they're superman unscathed in the real world. WWII shaped the world, as did September 11 shaped us

As we age you'll see...the young are unaware of the toll it takes on a person's mind in the long term .


talk all the bullshit you want


Do you have proof is what I am asking. In my opinion, yes, we are more callous as a result of these things, but I think it is a stretch to say a good person can snap just like that. Youth violence has gone down as the internet and video games have increased in popularity. If you do not have any studies supporting your statement, it's no more than conjecture.

http://techliberation.com/2010/02/09/violent-video-games-youth-violence-what-does-real-world-evidence-suggest/

I do believe it causes aggression, but I don't believe it create criminals. I think Mental illness is more of a factor than some people realize. We shouldn't ignore it. That being said, people should really read the ratings on video games. Too many obnoxious 12 year olds on COD or whatever you people play.


Ok, fine. http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/violent-video-games-bad-behavior-evidence-mounts-74372/

I didn't say it made criminals, I said it can help. Please do your own research ; this proves nothing. Just various sources back and forth.
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15

symphonicecho wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


symphonicecho wrote:

Anything violent can tip the scales and make a good person snap. Its foolish and dishonest to say no. Don't blame it on a stigma such as mental illness


I disagree. Only someone without the right mental faculties would be so affected by portrayal of violence in media. I'm not saying it doesn't affect one negatively, but I don't believe either that a "good" person can snap just like that.





PeripheralVisionary wrote:


symphonicecho wrote:

Everything around us , our environments, shape us, slowly, but surely. There is no one so insensitive that walks through blazing infernos like they're superman unscathed in the real world. WWII shaped the world, as did September 11 shaped us

As we age you'll see...the young are unaware of the toll it takes on a person's mind in the long term .


talk all the bullshit you want


Do you have proof is what I am asking. In my opinion, yes, we are more callous as a result of these things, but I think it is a stretch to say a good person can snap just like that. Youth violence has gone down as the internet and video games have increased in popularity. If you do not have any studies supporting your statement, it's no more than conjecture.

http://techliberation.com/2010/02/09/violent-video-games-youth-violence-what-does-real-world-evidence-suggest/

I do believe it causes aggression, but I don't believe it create criminals. I think Mental illness is more of a factor than some people realize. We shouldn't ignore it. That being said, people should really read the ratings on video games. Too many obnoxious 12 year olds on COD or whatever you people play.


Ok, fine. http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/violent-video-games-bad-behavior-evidence-mounts-74372/

I didn't say it made criminals, I said it can help. Please do your own research ; this proves nothing. Just various sources back and forth.

Ah, I see, then we misunderstood each other's claims. I misunderstood what you meant by "Good person" and "Snapped. It seems odd and not so right to me.
17189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

nanikore2 wrote:


seekerperson7 wrote:

Do I think it makes you more violent all the time and unequivocally? No.

Do I think it influences your thoughts and behaviors? Yes, along with everything else we watch and read. And no, I don't think age matters, unless you are so young or so old that you literally cannot comprehend what you are watching or reading.
The question should be if the disgusting news regarding the baby made the English teacher more likely to commit violence.

Yes there is an effect (e.g. disgust on my part, fear on the teacher's) but is the effect an increase in aggression?
The person I quoted answers your question nicely. An increased anxiety, I don't think will lead her to raping newborns. I think watching violence can makes us desensitized to violence. To say it will never ever cause people to be violent is fantasy thinking.
41687 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
I'm predispositioned to aggression anyway, I've had mood problems since childhood. Like watching something violent is going to cause me to emulate said violence, i'm already destructive enough....
27273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


seekerperson7 wrote:

Do I think it makes you more violent all the time and unequivocally? No.

Do I think it influences your thoughts and behaviors? Yes, along with everything else we watch and read. And no, I don't think age matters, unless you are so young or so old that you literally cannot comprehend what you are watching or reading.
The question should be if the disgusting news regarding the baby made the English teacher more likely to commit violence.

Yes there is an effect (e.g. disgust on my part, fear on the teacher's) but is the effect an increase in aggression?
The person I quoted answers your question nicely. An increased anxiety, I don't think will lead her to raping newborns. I think watching violence can makes us desensitized to violence. To say it will never ever cause people to be violent is fantasy thinking.


It's a misconception that viewing violence causes violence.

The reality is that it's the other way around- Violent-prone people are more likely to want to watch violence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201202/watching-violence-in-the-media-does-not-cause-crime
26821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Chicago, IL
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Anything violent can make a person do stupid things. TV Shows, Movies, Games, Anime, Books, Comics, Mangas, ect. It's silly that a person thinks it's a good idea to act violently around society.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.