First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Watching violence makes you aggressive
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 1/7/15
Yes and no.
31139 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

nanikore2 wrote:

It's a misconception that viewing violence causes violence.

The reality is that it's the other way around- Violent-prone people are more likely to want to watch violence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201202/watching-violence-in-the-media-does-not-cause-crime


Agreed. To my knowledge, studies thus far (and there have been a great many) have shown correlation between media and violence and... that's it. For a small (mentally ill) fraction of the population violent media may trigger an episode. In general though, it seems more likely that those who are prone to violence are more likely to be attracted to / fixate upon it in media.
9785 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Yes; however, to approach this factually and honestly, tons of other factors must be taken into account. Watching violence (ie; video games, movies, hunting, stepping on insects, reading, witnessing abuse/crimes, etc...) is only a small piece of the puzzle. Fact is, we're surrounded by violence, from car wrecks to tiny spiders catching meals, to even our own white blood cells devouring bacteria. Clearly, we aren't designed to succumb to extreme aggression at the drop of a dime.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
Juvenile delinquincy runs rampant, blame Tom Sawyer; ban the book.

Assassins are found all to have a specific J.D. Salinger book in thier library; ban the book.

Sex trade is prevalent in a town or city; ban any movie that could be a cause.

For 100s of years it's all been the same way it is today. If no answer can be found to a problem of the sort just find a scapegoat to pin the blame on.

There were no violent movies around when Burke and Hare, Jack the Ripper and Bluebeard were on thier killing sprees but if they were around today I'm sure they'd find a movie to pin it on.

Here's a list of notorious serial killers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_killers_before_1900) from BEFORE movies or tv were even invented. It's funny seeing most people don't know they even existed and thier existences aren't applied to any scientific studies they use to assess blame.
7574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

iriomote wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

It's a misconception that viewing violence causes violence.

The reality is that it's the other way around- Violent-prone people are more likely to want to watch violence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-the-criminal-mind/201202/watching-violence-in-the-media-does-not-cause-crime


Agreed. To my knowledge, studies thus far (and there have been a great many) have shown correlation between media and violence and... that's it. For a small (mentally ill) fraction of the population violent media may trigger an episode. In general though, it seems more likely that those who are prone to violence are more likely to be attracted to / fixate upon it in media.


These are my thoughts exactly!
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Media is capable of shaping our perspectives in someway and because it's capable of shaping our perspective I don't see how it can't shape it into a negative and harmful one....why that negative and harmful perspective can be everything but violent.
27265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Media is capable of shaping our perspectives in someway and because it's capable of shaping our perspective I don't see how it can't shape it into a negative and harmful one....why that negative and harmful perspective can be everything but violent.


Then how does seeing the baby abuse made the teacher more violent?

OP's thesis is false... If you're interested in overturning psychological findings then you'd need solid proof.

Besides, you didn't quote what I said earlier regarding the inverse which makes more sense anyways- The more violent-prone personalities gravitate toward enjoyment of violent material.
11494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / West South Central
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
Did every German decide to start killing Jews because Hitler said so? No. But an alarming amount either took part or turned the other way. Humans are complex and unique in the ways they deal with everything.

Questions like these are missing the point. But let me back up.

Yes. With 100% assurance, people have adopted violent behavior after watching it on screen before. That's not debatable. It has happened, and it will again. Regular people have also watched the entire Quentin Tarantino filmography, and have walked away no more the vicious psychopath because of it. Not everyone will have a positive reaction to watching violence, and not everyone will have a negative reaction, but both happen. Does this mean we should ban violent films? Hell no. That would be like banning sex because there are sex addicts. No no no no no no no. BUT. Let's all stop living in a dream world where violent movies have never inspired anyone to become violent ever, because that's just not true. There are too many manipulatable, soft, dim witted, and impressionable adults and adolescents on this planet to view it any other way. If you want to blame those people then fine. Do that. But it doesn't change anything. These movies, video games, books, music, whatever, all inspired violence in a person at some point, caused them to act in some way they would not have had they not seen the movie. Soooooooooooooo. Yeah.

And to the guy citing that there were serial killers before movies?............. What? Yeah. The argument is that violent movies cause violent actions in some people. No that all violent actions ever were caused by violent movies.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

nanikore2 wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

Media is capable of shaping our perspectives in someway and because it's capable of shaping our perspective I don't see how it can't shape it into a negative and harmful one....why that negative and harmful perspective can be everything but violent.


Then how does seeing the baby abuse made the teacher more violent?

OP's thesis is false... If you're interested in overturning psychological findings then you'd need solid proof.

Besides, you didn't quote what I said earlier regarding the inverse which makes more sense anyways- The more violent-prone personalities gravitate toward enjoyment of violent material.
Don't lose your mind just yet. My teacher didn't see any baby abused, it was a story I mentioned leading up to seekerperson7's point. Your quote is still there, look harder.
27265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:

Don't lose your mind just yet. My teacher didn't see any baby abused, it was a story I mentioned leading up to seekerperson7's point. Your quote is still there, look harder.


Fine.

Then how does hearing about a baby being abused make your teacher more violent?
28724 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Zealand
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
Ehhh, I dunno. It doesn't make me violent, but I don't claim to be an expert when it comes to anyone else.
11494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / West South Central
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
UGH.

IT MIGHT NOT. HELL, IT PROBABLY DIDN'T. How does watching Trevor in GTAV stomp some guys head in who clearly doesn't deserve it make us laugh? What? It doesn't make everyone laugh? It offends some people? It doesn't move some people at all because the characters are cartoons? It inspired a man to stomp his brothers head in for stealing his wife? It inspired the next great political leader to come forward and lead us into a new era? It inspired you to take a shit? IT EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

nanikore2 wrote:

Fine.

Then how does hearing about a baby being abused make your teacher more violent?
You are not trying at all, which makes me not want to try.
216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / BakaTuts
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
If a child watches TV all day and the parents don't pay attention to him then yes...whatever he's watching will influence him
27265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

FlyinDumpling wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Fine.

Then how does hearing about a baby being abused make your teacher more violent?
You are not trying at all, which makes me not want to try.


Well there you go. He didn't confirm OP's thesis (see his post title) which is still false.

Why "try" when there isn't a need
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.