First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Straight man appreciation thread!
Posted 1/4/15
I'm referring to the stock character.

The straight man (or retorter / tsukkomi) is a character that's often forgotten because the funny man stands out more. However, they are just as vital to most comedies and deserve recognition!

So who are your favorite anime straight men / retorters / tsukkomi? Do you also think they deserve more recognition? Feel free to toss out thoughts about the straight man / funny man combo in general if you want.

My personall favorite is Natsuki Andou from Chronicles of the Going Home Club



She tosses out retorts like they're going out of style. I salute her tireless commitment to pointing out the ridiculousness of her peers! Kagami Hiiragi is another favorite of mine. Lucky Star just wouldn't be the same without her reactions to Konata's antics.
56120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15
Shinpachi from Gintama
106470 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/5/15
There is that one guy. I will have to find the name. Give me a few.
53691 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / FL
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
Me<---------
25595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/5/15
Gotta go with Shinpachi from Gintama. Picture of him included below

83847 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
Chiyo Sakura

13714 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Somewhere?
Offline
Posted 1/4/15

Demimaelstrom wrote:

Chiyo Sakura



I agree with this.
Sogno- 
47831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
um like everyone in Gintama
88 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Miami Florida
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
Tsuda takatoshi!!
22930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 1/4/15
I'm not sure about favoites, but the first one that comes to mind is Sakuya from Hayate no Gotoku. I'm not entirely sure if she counts, though, so I'll also throw out Yoko from Kiniro Mosaic.

I find Natsuki to be a memorable one as well.
Posted 1/4/15

AkiraOkami wrote:

Tsuda takatoshi!!


I completely forgot about him, but now that you reminded me, he is actually a really good pick. Hagimura as well to an extent. The sheer smount of retorts required to combat Shino and Aria is so great that it takes two straight men
15014 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15
Ive never really understood that side of anime. Are those pointers supposed to be funny? It's mostly just pointing out the obvious and ruining the mood of the scenes...
Maybe this is why i can't get through Gintama
xxJing 
39819 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 1/4/15

cay032692 wrote:

Me<---------


Me too.
Posted 1/4/15 , edited 1/4/15

hayate_sensei_853 wrote:

I'm not sure about favoites, but the first one that comes to mind is Sakuya from Hayate no Gotoku. I'm not entirely sure if she counts, though, so I'll also throw out Yoko from Kiniro Mosaic.

I find Natsuki to be a memorable one as well.


Sakuya counts. She even wields a paper fan, doesn't she? That's might as well be a badge signifying a certified tsukkomi!



But I didn't mean it in a very strict way. You could even argue that Hayate and Maria act as straight men in a sense.



Ryuouka wrote:

Ive never really understood that side of anime. Are those pointers supposed to be funny? It's mostly just pointing out the obvious and ruining the mood of the scenes...
Maybe this is why i can't get through Gintama


I kind of used to feel this way too, actually. Though now I appreciate it for some odd reason.

It's just supposed to accentuate the foolishness of what's happening. They're kind of like pranks. It's not enough to just "pull the prank" - you also want to see the reaction. If it you don't get a reaction out of it, it kind of loses meaning. Perhaps it's the same mentality behind laugh tracks? Though those are equally unpopular among some circles, i'm aware.
22930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 1/4/15

seekerperson7 wrote:

Sakuya counts. She even wields a paper fan, doesn't she? That's might as well be a badge signifying a certified tsukkomi!



But I didn't mean it in a very strict way. You could even argue that Hayate and Maria act as straight men in a sense.

Okay, that's good to know. I wasn't sure since she chooses to play that role herself rather than being assigned the role by the writers. It kind of makes her a tsukkomi character in a different sense.

First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.