First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply COMMON CORE: are you for it or against it?
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
In my opinion common core is going to lead this country in a positive direction.

I know that I was extremely disappointed when I arrived in Arizona as a freshmen in high school from California. I was being taught the same curriculum that my 4th and fifth grade teachers in California had already taught me. upon entry to ASU i was surprised yet again to find that even though my high school had been catering to kids who didn't want more homework and teachers who wanted an easier job, universities were competing for higher education. I believe setting a standard for every state to follow that will be up to par with universities is a really good idea.

also, this may or may not sound harsh but, children should have no say in this policy! many opponents to common core are parents who's children are struggling with heavier workloads and harder curriculum.
catering to complaints in this department will only teach Americas children that education isn't important. in fact the only reason why they are complaining in the first place is because the education policies thus far have promoted a mentality where kids keep getting the easy way out.


so, that is my opinion what's you're take on it? do you support common core or do you think it should be scrapped? what are your reasons?

(I have knocked down some of the text walls btw, thanks for the advice.)
23493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
Communist core lol. Go on youtube and you'll find plenty of information about common core and why its so bad. here's one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/5/15

bobsagget wrote:

Communist core lol. Go on youtube and you'll find plenty of information about common core and why its so bad. here's one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE


have you read he actual policy or have you jumped on the band wagon of ignorance that exists on you tube? do you have any of your own reasons that you are against it? if so please lets discuss. if your only argument is someone else's opinion you saw in a you tube video it isn't valid.
14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
I think students should be divided into classes to fit their appropriate skill level or pace. My stance on homework is that certain students don't need it and it ends up being an unnecessary time sink that could be used on something productive or *GASP* fun. Homework should be extra practice for those that need it and not a crutch for teachers who either can't evaluate properly or teach efficiently. I wasted so much time doing homework in school I eventually got annoyed and stop doing it completely... the result? No effect on my test scores at all, still A's...

I think common core only serves to hold back those quick learners (and bore them to death to kill their work ethic and enthusiasm) and to leave those not up to speed behind in despair.
23493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/15
You're the one who is being ignorant if you automatically label people on You tube as ignorant without hearing what they have to say. Basically the main reasons Common Core is horrible is because it encourages Group Think, and allows 2+2 to equal 5. Its not meant to promote any kind of individual critical thinking but rather to turn kinds into drones by giving them repetitive mind-numbing busy work. Common Core should not even be referred to as education, but rather behavior modification.
23493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/5/15

DarksirenxX wrote:


bobsagget wrote:

Communist core lol. Go on youtube and you'll find plenty of information about common core and why its so bad. here's one video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si-kx5-MKSE


have you read he actual policy or have you jumped on the band wagon of ignorance that exists on you tube? do you have any of your own reasons that you are against it? if so please lets discuss. if your only argument is someone else's opinion you saw in a you tube video it isn't valid.


And who are you to say what is and what's not valid? How much are they paying you?
59230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
For the OP... punctuation and grammar are your friends... walls of text aren't.

Personal opinion - the basics (reading, writing, arithmetic) need to be continuously emphasized throughout grades 1-12. I've seen far too many college graduates who can't even do simple math or write a coherent paragraph.

Common Core - the 'new' paradigm which will fail at the same rate the last paradigm did. Until parents are able to be invested in their children's learning process, we're going to continue to see the downward trend.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/5/15

bobsagget wrote:


DarksirenxX wrote:


bobsagget wrote:


have you read he actual policy or have you jumped on the band wagon of ignorance that exists on you tube? do you have any of your own reasons that you are against it? if so please lets discuss. if your only argument is someone else's opinion you saw in a you tube video it isn't valid.


And who are you to say what is and what's not valid? How much are they paying you?


In the original post i asked for your opinion, not the opinion of someone else who you copied. that is why it is invalid. its pretty cut and dry.

Also, i didn't label everyone on you tube as ignorant, i simply said there were ignorant people on you tube and they had a bandwagon of others who follow them when none of them even read the policy or tried to understand it.

what do you mean when you say they are making 2+2=5? please explain your reasoning.

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
I don't think it's a bad thing. I think that it's important to use whatever learning methods work, and some students benefit from common core and some benefit from older methods.

School used to be about preparing students for adulthood. Now it seems to be about teaching them how to regurgitate a set of facts without giving the nuance of things like, say, checking sources, figuring problems out yourself. lateral thinking skills. critical thinking skills, the scientific method (observe, hypothesize, test, rinse, repeat)

There's also a distinctive lack of understanding subjectivity and the nuances of the humanities. Equally so, there's no understanding of civics.

The school system is a failure, but more so by what it concentrates on, rather than its teaching methods. Which is kind of what you're experiencing.

But don't feel bad. It failed me 20 years ago too.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/5/15

GreatLordBalzak wrote:

I think students should be divided into classes to fit their appropriate skill level or pace. My stance on homework is that certain students don't need it and it ends up being an unnecessary time sink that could be used on something productive or *GASP* fun. Homework should be extra practice for those that need it and not a crutch for teachers who either can't evaluate properly or teach efficiently. I wasted so much time doing homework in school I eventually got annoyed and stop doing it completely... the result? No effect on my test scores at all, still A's...

I think common core only serves to hold back those quick learners (and bore them to death to kill their work ethic and enthusiasm) and to leave those not up to speed behind in despair.


interesting, why do you feel that it will hold back advanced students?
it does not restrict students from advanced studies. it does require more of the average student though.

i do agree with you about homework though. i have never learned anything while doing homework. if i understood the subject i was able to complete the homework however it was a waste of time. and when i did not understand i usually had to wait to ask the teacher the next day anyways.

as far as leaving students behind, I saw this as a policy that would actually improve upon this problem. students already get left behind all the time, with a way to check how they are progressing it is less likely they with slip through unnoticed. well givin that all goes according to plan that is.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/5/15

serifsansserif wrote:

I don't think it's a bad thing. I think that it's important to use whatever learning methods work, and some students benefit from common core and some benefit from older methods.

School used to be about preparing students for adulthood. Now it seems to be about teaching them how to regurgitate a set of facts without giving the nuance of things like, say, checking sources, figuring problems out yourself. lateral thinking skills. critical thinking skills, the scientific method (observe, hypothesize, test, rinse, repeat)

There's also a distinctive lack of understanding subjectivity and the nuances of the humanities. Equally so, there's no understanding of civics.

The school system is a failure, but more so by what it concentrates on, rather than its teaching methods. Which is kind of what you're experiencing.

But don't feel bad. It failed me 20 years ago too.


I agree definite fail. in AZ k-8th grades are not even a requirement for entry to high school. they don't even require that you take a test to see if you are qualified. You can simply walk in to h.s. with no prior education

you have a good point there too. kids should always be asking why when they see something new. "what makes that work?" but instead they look to see the end result without ever wandering why.
1606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
Common Core is simply a way to dumb down children into nothing but mindless drones so all they can do is mindlessly work for corporations without any thought of themselves.



Conspiracy theories.... Unfortunately this one is pretty realistic.
73322 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/15
I'm against in as far as math is concerned. It teaches you the long way around of getting the answer. There really isn't much of a need. As far as education as a whole the entire system (including college) needs to be changed. In middle and high school civic classes need to be restored. They need to teach how taxes work, the importance of voting, and the importance of learning how to invest. College should build on this and go further in depth and make it a requirement for all degrees because no matter what you're studying you're going to need these things in life. Also of the classes in a specific degree program should all be relevant to the actual job. An electrical engineer should not be required to study the works of Shakespeare. They will never need that knowledge to perform that job. It's a waste of time and money. Now if said engineer was interested in Shakespeare they should be able to take the class as an elective. I could go on but the education system really needs to be set up to where it churns out better informed and prepared future citizens. The country can't improve if your average citizen doesn't even understand basics of how things work.
2118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Hyrule
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
I don't know much about common core. I'd love it if someone could educate me on it.

Even so, i am able to form an opinion on the subject, and i am against it. From what the other comments have pointed out it sounds as though it will only make the currently bad school system worse.

I was at first under the impression that school was for learning, however, i soon realized this was not the case. School is merely part of a mandatory system that the country forces you into. Go to school, go to college, get a job, pay your taxes, get married, have kids, die. Only so that your children may repeat the cycle. I realized that i myself am able to learn at a much faster rate than when taught at school. For example: School Computer Science class - 36 weeks to teach a programming language. Me and a For Dummies Book: 1 week. It is assured that i may have not had the amount of practice provided within 36 weeks, but i was able to understand the language and create programs. All i lacked was experience. All i need now is less procrastination, and then i'll be fine.
24564 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/5/15 , edited 1/5/15
I oppose common core for a number of reasons. First, I don't believe in national standards for education. I think we still should have state rule, state control over local educational systems. Common Core is another federal overreach in our public education system in America. Local municipalities and states know better than the federal government, in my opinion, how to best craft policy for their locality's education program.

It, like most policy standards which are test based, ends up becoming a "teach to the test" type of classroom setting. Which isn't productive for the students or the teachers. I went to school in a test based atmosphere where everyone taught to the test. I was woefully unprepared, in many respects, for college. And I was top in my graduating class.

I hope, in the end, they end up helping our education system. But, I'm skeptical. As a parent myself, I'm extra skeptical of any nationalized set of standards.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.