Post Reply Should Bilbo have killed Smaug?
4854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 1/5/15
Now before you guys comment please know that I know the in-story reason why Bilbo never killed Smaug but I'm speaking from a narrative standpoint. I just think that when you have a story about a guy who is recruited on a quest to take back a kingdom from a dragon, it's kind of a huge letdown when the main character doesn't kill the dragon, who instead falls at the hands of a character who was just introduced a few pages ago. I just want to hear you guys' opinions on this.
4854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 1/5/15
It should also be noted that I'm talking about the book. I dont actually know how this was handled in the movie.
26204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/5/15
Ummmm no

Dragons are one of the most dangerous creatures of Middle Earth
Hobbits are seen as one of the weakest, they are peaceful not warriors.

It is never clearly shown why Bilbo was hired, but seeing as his official title was 'burglar' it seems that he was only meant to steel the most precious of the treasures from the mountain, most especially the Arkenstone.

Bilbo was never meant to kill Smaug and while I have thought occasionally that he could have simply put the ring on and driven a sword into Smaug's unprotect spot I don't think that would have followed the rest of the story. It would have been very out of character for Bilbo who had only used weapons and killing as a last resort, only once with the spiders, heck that's probably why he named the sword 'Sting' it's a small sword that in the hands of a hobbit is more suited to cause injury, a sting. Throughout the rest of his adventures Bilbo always uses his wits and trickery to solve problems, so no I don't think that Bilbo should have killed Smaug.
4854 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 1/6/15

SquallFire wrote:

Ummmm no

Dragons are one of the most dangerous creatures of Middle Earth
Hobbits are seen as one of the weakest, they are peaceful not warriors.

It is never clearly shown why Bilbo was hired, but seeing as his official title was 'burglar' it seems that he was only meant to steel the most precious of the treasures from the mountain, most especially the Arkenstone.

Bilbo was never meant to kill Smaug and while I have thought occasionally that he could have simply put the ring on and driven a sword into Smaug's unprotect spot I don't think that would have followed the rest of the story. It would have been very out of character for Bilbo who had only used weapons and killing as a last resort, only once with the spiders, heck that's probably why he named the sword 'Sting' it's a small sword that in the hands of a hobbit is more suited to cause injury, a sting. Throughout the rest of his adventures Bilbo always uses his wits and trickery to solve problems, so no I don't think that Bilbo should have killed Smaug.


I think you kind of misinterpreted what I was trying to say, but it's cool that you have good reasons to back up your opinion.
5773 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15
The book was so much better than the movies. But I like the movies as well.
50506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Wisconsin
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 1/8/15
It would have been cool but almost impossible.

Edit: Grammar
26204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
Ok I read the OP and I still say no Bilbo should not have killed Smaug at least not in a JRRT story

Yes Bard is first introduced when Smaug is attacking the town, but the events of him killing the dragon are what cement his importance to the last part of the story

And half the point Tolkien's stories could be seen as him showing that every person has a role to play during their lives. Bilbo should not be seen as important but he plays his part through discovering Smaug's weak spot.
24273 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

imphic wrote:

Would have cool but almost impossible.


.
7354 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Home
Offline
Posted 1/11/15
bilbo has done everything and grew taller and hooked up with every girl also he has time traveled, that dragon never stood a chance..in fanfiction
Posted 1/30/15 , edited 2/1/15
I see where you're coming from
but the character Bard the Bowman was essentially CREATED to follow in his forefather's footsteps to destroy Smaug
otherwise, he probably wouldn't have gained the respect of the rest of Laketown.
That and it's just not realistic.
Bilbo doesn't have the training to shoot the black iron bow.
And he had to help the dwarves with the riddle of the hidden door at the entrance of The Lonely Mountain.
27007 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / AUSTRALIA
Offline
Posted 2/2/15

sleepysunshine wrote:

I see where you're coming from
but the character Bard the Bowman was essentially CREATED to follow in his forefather's footsteps to destroy Smaug
otherwise, he probably wouldn't have gained the respect of the rest of Laketown.
That and it's just not realistic.
Bilbo doesn't have the training to shoot the black iron bow.
And he had to help the dwarves with the riddle of the hidden door at the entrance of The Lonely Mountain.


Pretty much
1052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / SoFlo
Offline
Posted 2/7/15
If anyone BUT bard killed Smaug i would of felt cheated. The black arrow was an arrow gifted to Bards ancestor giren(or something like that I dont remember) who was also king of Dale when smaug first attacked. Bard avenged him by killing smaug with the arrow and becoming king of Dale. Perfect full cirle
10269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Hoth
Offline
Posted 2/26/15

Costantinople wrote:

If anyone BUT bard killed Smaug i would of felt cheated. The black arrow was an arrow gifted to Bards ancestor giren(or something like that I dont remember) who was also king of Dale when smaug first attacked. Bard avenged him by killing smaug with the arrow and becoming king of Dale. Perfect full cirle


My thoughts exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.
You must be logged in to post.