First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you watch really old anime(outdated graphics)
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/15
I'm a big fan of older anime's like Fist of the North Star, Devilman, Guyver,Lupin the third etc.... The nostalgia factor and story allows me to watch them.I have to be honest, its very difficult to watch some older/graphically impaired anime. All of the anime's listed have updated TV or movie remakes, but some older shows I may never watch. Recently, Im trying to get into Champion Joe, but its not nostalgic to me and I'm having trouble with the graphics .

Do you mind watching older anime's with outdated graphics?
61518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 5/22/15
I don't usually watch old anime. too much new anime to watch.

and yea... old anime looks like ass, which makes it hard to watch.
2044 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15
I can see your point in the quality looking bad but that doesnt make the story line bad. The quality doesnt define the content. In general the only thing that bugs me is the style of the animation. Ive found out that old animes seem more enjoyable regardless of the quality of video.
383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/6/15
It can be a little off putting, the first time i sat through the original Mobile Suit Gundam was really tedious but sometimes if the story and characters are good enough I can get past the older animation (Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, etc)
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 1/6/15

kamahl01 wrote:

I'm a big fan of older anime's like Fist of the North Star, Devilman, Guyver,Lupin the third etc.... The nostalgia factor and story allows me to watch them.I have to be honest, its very difficult to watch some older/graphically impaired anime. All of the anime's listed have updated TV or movie remakes, but some older shows I may never watch. Recently, Im trying to get into Champion Joe, but its not nostalgic to me and I'm having trouble with the graphics .

Do you mind watching older anime's with outdated graphics?


Ouch. That qualifies are REALLY old!??!?!?!!

So there I was, standing on the banks of the Delaware, when George Washington came up to me and asked me, "So, what did you think of that Devilman any-may the Portugese have been sending us from the east indies?"

And I could not lie, "George, I have not seen it yet. My candles were broken when they showed it last night..."
Verile 
25098 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Eagleland 199X
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 1/6/15
How far back we talking? Looks like late 80's early 90's from your list. I feel like Eva and Cowboy Bebop qualify as older animes by this point at nearly 20 years.

But to your question, no, I don't mind. Quality is classic. Same reason I'll watch movies or listen to music created before my birth. I personally still enjoy Tekkaman Blade.

And if you've been keeping up with Shirobako, we all apparently need to watch Space Runaway Ideon if we haven't already for a life changing experience.
8733 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / MI
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 5/22/15
I just watched Serial Experiments Lain (1998) and while that normally wouldn't be considered especially old, the 90's cyberpunk culture makes it feel soooo much more dated. However, it somehow simultaneously makes it even creepier.

104029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 1/6/15
Yes.
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 1/6/15
I watched Dragon Ball Z: Broly for the first time and it was fine. I was raised on the old art, a la Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon. Like quite literally raised where that was all I watched as a kid, so to me it's just like watching an old cartoon from your youth.


Please don't flay me for saying anime and cartoon in the same sentence

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15

ThisWasATriumph wrote:

I just watched Serial Experiments Lain (1998) and while that normally wouldn't be considered especially old, the 90's cyberpunk culture makes it feel soooo much more dated. However, it somehow simultaneously makes it even creepier.



Lain too!?!??!?!? I watched that my senior year of HS.

Abraham Lincoln approached me in the halls after Gettysburg, and said, "So I've been watching this animay that Admiral Perry had shipped over from the Islands. It's called "Lain" and quite good. After watching it I have become convinced it is a good idea to free the colored people of this mighty nation...."
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/15 , edited 1/6/15

Crescent_I_Rose wrote:

I can see your point in the quality looking bad but that doesnt make the story line bad. The quality doesnt define the content. In general the only thing that bugs me is the style of the animation. Ive found out that old animes seem more enjoyable regardless of the quality of video.


As I said, the story line makes it bearable for some shows.



serifsansserif wrote:


kamahl01 wrote:

I'm a big fan of older anime's like Fist of the North Star, Devilman, Guyver,Lupin the third etc.... The nostalgia factor and story allows me to watch them.I have to be honest, its very difficult to watch some older/graphically impaired anime. All of the anime's listed have updated TV or movie remakes, but some older shows I may never watch. Recently, Im trying to get into Champion Joe, but its not nostalgic to me and I'm having trouble with the graphics .

Do you mind watching older anime's with outdated graphics?


Ouch. That qualifies are REALLY old!??!?!?!!

So there I was, standing on the banks of the Delaware, when George Washington came up to me and asked me, "So, what did you think of that Devilman any-may they portugese have been sending us from the east indies?"

And I could not lie, "George, I have not seen it yet. My candles were broken when they showed it last night..."


Lupin series 1,Devilman series and Champion Joe are old.......Fist of the North Star is also old, but the graphics are still watchable because they were innovative for its time(just like Dragonball Z). Although I watch many of these, I see Champion Joe and Hajime Ippo side by side and its such a difference. I will try to watch Champion Joe because it looks cool and has a good op ...I'll grin and bear the old graphics....
Posted 1/6/15

serifsansserif wrote:


Lain too!?!??!?!? I watched that my senior year of HS.

Abraham Lincoln approached me in the halls after Gettysburg, and said, "So I've been watching this animay that Admiral Perry had shipped over from the Islands. It's called "Lain" and quite good. After watching it I have become convinced it is a good idea to free the colored people of this mighty nation...."


This is too much, hahaha

I don't mind 'old' anime for the most part as long as the story is good.

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15

CSDiggity wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:


Lain too!?!??!?!? I watched that my senior year of HS.

Abraham Lincoln approached me in the halls after Gettysburg, and said, "So I've been watching this animay that Admiral Perry had shipped over from the Islands. It's called "Lain" and quite good. After watching it I have become convinced it is a good idea to free the colored people of this mighty nation...."


This is too much, hahaha

I don't mind 'old' anime for the most part as long as the story is good.



did I forget to tell you about how the War of 1812 was partly due to Evangelion?

Honestly, a lot of my favorites are older anime titles because of the stories. the thing also to bear in mind with any of the animation prior to 2000 is that either all or most of it was painstakingly done by hand. GITS:SAC was one of the first to use CGI to the degree that is now.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/6/15

kamahl01 wrote:

Lupin series 1,Devilman series and Champion Joe are old.......Fist of the North Star is also old, but the graphics are still watchable because they were innovative for its time(just like Dragonball Z). Although I watch many of these, I see Champion Joe and Hajime Ippo side by side and its such a difference. I will try to watch Champion Joe because it looks cool and has a good op ...I'll grin and bear the old graphics....


Dragonball only really looks like its held up because it's been on continuous play since the 90's. I cannot think of a time it HASN'T been off the air completely.

That's partially due to Thomas Jefferson being a Piccolo fan and demanding that the constitution state its continual play as a symbol of the enduring nature of this union. Hell, King Richard was a fan of it when it first aired during the Crusades...

maybe I should stop...
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/6/15

Verile wrote:

How far back we talking? Looks like late 80's early 90's from your list. I feel like Eva and Cowboy Bebop qualify as older animes by this point at nearly 20 years.

But to your question, no, I don't mind. Quality is classic. Same reason I'll watch movies or listen to music created before my birth. I personally still enjoy Tekkaman Blade.

And if you've been keeping up with Shirobako, we all apparently need to watch Space Runaway Ideon if we haven't already for a life changing experience.


Its no coincidence that most of the stuff on my list are old, but not old as dirt .

Ashita No Joe-1970-Never watched it and attempting to watch it in 2015....I admire the work the must have put in to make it back then,but dang....I will watch it though, hopefully it has a good story.
Devilman Series-1972-Very outdated graphics, but I grew up watching it. Also they have newer movies with sweet graphics.
Fist of the North Star-1988-Innovative graphics for its time and still looks good to me(plus new movies)
Guyver-1989-Pretty good graphics, prefer the old one to the new remake(even though I thought the new one was great)
Dragonball Z-who cares about the year, it looks great and is way too nostalgic for many.First anime Ive ever watched more than 20 years ago!!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.