First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Do you watch really old anime(outdated graphics)
15184 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
of course i do! since most of my happy childhood memories of anime are "older" anime. currently i'm watching captian harlock, previously i watched the rose of versailles
3053 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
nah. I'd like though
71060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
The Rose of Versailles was incredibly easy to watch in my experience. It had really nice art direction.

I had a much harder time with Mobile Suit Gundam, and I didn't get far into Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999 or the original Space Battleship Yamato. Galaxy Express 999 was pretty interesting though, I'll revisit it eventually.

There was also an old shoujo anime about tennis I might track down because I'm curious.
LokiLB 
41572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

eightcar wrote:
Have you ever WATCHED Go Lion?

Seriously, you should

Hacked up, sanitized, and story changed for USA audiences, Voltron has its place, but its place is not that of an original.

Go Lion is on the money for a really good story. Other than some minor issues (basically with the narrator) it stands the test of time.

Yes the artwork may not seem the greatest, but in the 80s it was good artwork.

If you have fond memories of Voltron from your youth, Go Lion will replace it with a story that is better than can hold your interest as an adult!

Overall I have to say Go Lion is worth 5 stars, especially for the nostalgia of Voltron, but with a far better story that can be enjoyed and appreciated even more today


And this is why they should make a Voltron movie. Combine the best of both and don't let Michael Bay anywhere near it.

Maybe one day I'll feel motivated to watch Go Lion.
I just really don't like the name (even though I know that 'go' has several meanings in Japanese that work nicely for wordplay there).
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
So 12 episodes into Champion Joe 2 and I'm really liking it. The storyline is pretty good and the animation has its charm(although some people have strange shaped limbs and potato shaped heads ).
10950 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
I enjoy seeing what people consider old varying upon their age haha that entertained me reading through. Personally anything before 2000 is "old" to me, I didn't spend a whole lot of time in the 90's. Back to the topic at hand, I would prefer to watch new/updated animation and I'm not trying to take anything away from story quality.
454 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Winter Springs, F...
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
Personally, I consider the transition from cel to digital animation as the dividing line between old and new anime. Watching old, dilapidated cel anime brings out a certain innocence & nostalgia within me.
71060 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

EJgarland1993 wrote:

Personally, I consider the transition from cel to digital animation as the dividing line between old and new anime.

That's fairly recent though; well kind of, ~15 years now I guess. I think of the 90s as a transition period.

I really love the look of stuff like Hakugei Densetsu that came out in the late 90s before the switch.



And slightly older like Ruin Explorers.

And Majutsushi Orphen, especially the last episode. And Bastard!!, and a lot else much I still have to see.


EJgarland1993 wrote:

Watching old, dilapidated cel anime brings out a certain innocence & nostalgia within me.

You should see the Blu Rays, dilapidated is the last word I'd use.

51832 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
The oldest thing ive watched lately is card captors, I'd still watch older stuff though.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
I'm telling you guys.. Tank Police... It's all about the inflatable penises...
454 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Winter Springs, F...
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

Insomnist wrote:


EJgarland1993 wrote:

Personally, I consider the transition from cel to digital animation as the dividing line between old and new anime.

That's fairly recent though; well kind of, ~15 years now I guess. I think of the 90s as a transition period.


To my knowledge, Sazae-san is among the last anime series to still use cel animation as recently as 2013. The main transition between cel to digital occurred during the mid-to-late 1990s, so the distinction between old & new is appropriate for someone my age.


Insomnist wrote:


EJgarland1993 wrote:

Watching old, dilapidated cel anime brings out a certain innocence & nostalgia within me.

You should see the Blu Rays, dilapidated is the last word I'd use.



For the record, Blu-ray rereleases of celluloid film goes through extensive restoration, which isn't always perfect. I just like to remember "old" anime like Record of Lodoss War as they were originally presented (and now slowly decaying).
130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
i don't mind the outdated graphics. i grew up watching late 70's, early 80's anime like Voltes V, Macross, Gatchaman, and Barefoot Generation. then in high school it was all about DBZ, Slam Dunk, El-Hazard, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi-Muyo and Sailor Moon. it was actually fun to witness the advancement of Japanese animation through the years, from cel to CG imagery.

and it amuses me, the fact that the thick eyebrows on male characters (70's-80's) were gone and replaced by sleek, tweezed ones lol (90's onwards). i missed that but anyway there's Gai from Naruto and even on a female character like Komugi from Hunter, whom i think is the cutest anime chick i've seen for awhile.
14128 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
No not really the reason is simple new things are talked about more, and new things cost just as much to stream for free as old stuff for free. I only watch 25 a year so I will never get to old stuff.
11012 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

mow123 wrote:

No not really the reason is simple new things are talked about more, and new things cost just as much to stream for free as old stuff for free. I only watch 25 a year so I will never get to old stuff.


"Only 25 a year"?Thats a lot of stuff


Fruit_Ponchi_Samurai_G wrote:

i don't mind the outdated graphics. i grew up watching late 70's, early 80's anime like Voltes V, Macross, Gatchaman, and Barefoot Generation. then in high school it was all about DBZ, Slam Dunk, El-Hazard, Ranma 1/2, Tenchi-Muyo and Sailor Moon. it was actually fun to witness the advancement of Japanese animation through the years, from cel to CG imagery.

and it amuses me, the fact that the thick eyebrows on male characters (70's-80's) were gone and replaced by sleek, tweezed ones lol (90's onwards). i missed that but anyway there's Gai from Naruto and even on a female character like Komugi from Hunter, whom i think is the cutest anime chick i've seen for awhile.


Big eyebrows?I use to be obsessed with Fist of The North Star(still am to a degree)
130 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
kamahl01 wrote:



Big eyebrows?I use to be obsessed with Fist of The North Star(still am to a degree)



YES KENSHIRO! i also remember main characters like Akira from Voltron, Kazuya from Daimos and Goku and Gohan of DBZ sporting big eyebrows so whenever i hear 80's anime, i think of bushy brows :D.

i must watch FOTNS again not only for the fights and the story, but the overall manliness, the techniques, the death glares and of course, the sweet mullets.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.