First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Did you know? from an aerial veiw the bible resembles swiss cheese.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Here is a short list shortcomings I have seen if any one cares to mend the gaps please be my guest. I will number each point so if care enlighten me you may reference the numbers.

1) book of genesis god takes a rib from adam and makes eve. leaving men a rib short. this is totally not true. men and woman have 12 sets of ribs.


2)book of genesis adam and eve have two sons. Cane and Abel. cain kills abel. seth is born. this all makes sense but this is where it loses me, seth and cain take wives............... huh what wives???? enoch and enosh... take wives too???? huh irad and kenen...take wives???? I think you see where I am headed with this. even if there was some biased against woman back then it doesn't change the fact that that supposedly the only people in existence were adam and eve and they didn't have a daughter. and also was there already a biased against females this early on or was this biased belonging to a writer many years later.


3) who kept record of this??? do really think adam and eve and their direct descendants knew how to write. I would gather no.


4) Sodom and Gomorrah: lot offered his virgin daughters up to the men who wished to have sex with the male visitors. is avoiding a sin by committing a sin what this trying to teach us?


5) noah and the flooding of the entire world. this is not possible. the amount of water on the planet earth doesn't change. it may freeze it may evaporate but it doesn't go any where and it doesn't come from anywhere. so for the amount of water to increase so drastically to flood all of the land is incomprehensible. also there is not scientific evidence of this. if the water level on the earth had risen above all of the land it would be evident. and supposedly all of the water rained down from the sky. this story seems to me like it came from someone who didn't understand that heaven wasn't past the clouds no?


I will stop there for now. any one have some good explanations for these points. if so lets discuss it. I'm all ears.
Posted 1/7/15
Religious debates are pretty tiresome don't you think....
869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
I was a Christian until recently, I have an argument for everything you said. Christianity is about faith not bloody logic. I can't be bothered to type it all out at the moment, if someone replies back to me later on when I'm not studying for exams (even though now I'm just procrastinating), I'll write up my answers
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
As a Christian, I fully expect to be criticized for my answers...but, here goes:

1. A rib was taken from Adam, not all men. Doesn't mean all future men were a rib short, just that Adam had one taken from him. SOME believe men have fewer ribs, but that's not true and not Biblical either.

2. There are different schools of thought on this. First school, they married their sisters. A gross sounding theory, but one which would match up with Adam & Eve being the first humans, so consistent with the Bible. Second school is there were other humans. Genesis 1 describes humans in general being created whereas Genesis 2 speaks of Adam & Eve. The theory? Two different events. Which would still be consistent with Eve being the mother of all creation as, per the Bible, all people would have come through Noah following the flood. The third school? God made more people after Adam and Eve. This third one is a little harder to match up Biblically than the first two, but is a theory.

3. The Hebrews were incredibly good at keeping tabs of who begat who. So, while it may have been an oral history, yea - I'd believe it was remembered from generation to generation.

4. It's trying to teach us a lesson in hospitality to a certain degree. Weird, I know. Hear me out. It was a better, more hospitable to protect his guests who had officially come under his protection by offering up his daughters than to give up the visitors. It was a strange, warped cultural norm in that time period. That said, Lot's response is still wrong and vile. Kind of shows that even the only "righteous" person in Sodom was still pretty awful.

5. The flood evidence is a tough one. You're right about matter neither being created nor destroyed. That said, it's mostly leap of faith based on the Bible and tertiary evidence of many other cultures having flood stories. Most every culture across the globe has some kind of flood myth where the entire world was flooded. Seems strange for such a commonality in mythologies if there was absolutely no truth to it.

These may not be acceptable or good explanations for you, but that's what I have.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

mdmrn wrote:
2. There are different schools of thought on this. First school, they married their sisters. A gross sounding theory, but one which would match up with Adam & Eve being the first humans, so consistent with the Bible. Second school is there were other humans. Genesis 1 describes humans in general being created whereas Genesis 2 speaks of Adam & Eve. The theory? Two different events. Which would still be consistent with Eve being the mother of all creation as, per the Bible, all people would have come through Noah following the flood. The third school? God made more people after Adam and Eve. This third one is a little harder to match up Biblically than the first two, but is a theory.
.


so you are saying that adam and eve had daughters as well but there was no record taken of them until they married their brothers? i can see that happening at least. it sounds better then "they came upon wives" sounds like they just found some random wives that were not supposed to exist.

34899 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / the bay
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
3. I believe Moses is the generally accepted author of Genesis; he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

5. Hypothetically speaking, if all the glaciers in the world were to unfreeze, would there not be a flood of global proportions?
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
don't get me wrong i don't mean to argue. just asking some opinions. but yeah religious debates are very tiresome because you can argue till you are blue in the face and never get past square one.
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15

DarksirenxX wrote:


mdmrn wrote:
2. There are different schools of thought on this. First school, they married their sisters. A gross sounding theory, but one which would match up with Adam & Eve being the first humans, so consistent with the Bible. Second school is there were other humans. Genesis 1 describes humans in general being created whereas Genesis 2 speaks of Adam & Eve. The theory? Two different events. Which would still be consistent with Eve being the mother of all creation as, per the Bible, all people would have come through Noah following the flood. The third school? God made more people after Adam and Eve. This third one is a little harder to match up Biblically than the first two, but is a theory.
.


so you are saying that adam and eve had daughters as well but there was no record taken of them until they married their brothers? i can see that happening at least. it sounds better then "they came upon wives" sounds like they just found some random wives that were not supposed to exist.


Yes to them having daughters. No to them not being mentioned. While not by name, in Genesis 5:4 it says Adam had other sons & daughters. None of their names were recorded. The lineage of Cain was mentioned as he was the first son of Adam. The line of Seth is discussed after that because it's from his line where we get Noah. Others? Not mentioned specifically. If they did, Genesis would have been even more dense with lineages than it was.

Interesting side note: One of the last of the line of Cain before the flood? Tubal-cain. Same name as the dude who attacked Noah & hid on the ark in the supposedly not very good Noah movie. I never saw it, but I am an engineer who works full time and has 4 kids under 6, so I don't get out to see movies very often. Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night (it was awesome).


Arbitrator wrote:

3. I believe Moses is the generally accepted author of Genesis; he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

5. Hypothetically speaking, if all the glaciers in the world were to unfreeze, would there not be a flood of global proportions?

Yea, Christian and Jewish tradition lists Moses as the author of the Pentateuch (i.e. Genesis through Deuteronomy), which is why they are sometimes referred to as the Books of Moses.

On your second point - I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you are correct in that.
Posted 1/7/15
1) I would question more the fact that Adam was made from the dust....also, the Bible doesn't mention if God gave him his rib back, maybe he did.

2) read this http://www.wordoftruthradio.com/questions/55.html...I would question more the fact that incest was very well accepted in the Bible (see Abraham and Sarah or Jacob and Rachel)

3) The Bible was written by God. The holy spirit guided the chosen men, they were just vessels. Also, you can read in genesis that Adam was created as someone perfect with all the knowledge in the world (except the knowledge of good and evil). So, writing should not be a problem for Adam. Plus, it is believed that the book of Genesis was written by Moises guided by the holy spirit of course.

This is a list of all the authors



4) homosexuality is not a sin....the word 'sex' is not on the original scripture..."know" it is the correct word but people assume it is sex just because...either way, the history of that place says that they were sinful not because of homosexuality but because of the way they treated newcomers.

5) with God everything is possible...he created the Earth so he can destroy it any way he wants.

Yeah, you need faith in order to believe and don't take everything literally...
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

piratequeen369 wrote:

I was a Christian until recently, I have an argument for everything you said. Christianity is about faith not bloody logic. I can't be bothered to type it all out at the moment, if someone replies back to me later on when I'm not studying for exams (even though now I'm just procrastinating), I'll write up my answers :)


just having faith in something that makes no sense at all? nope i don't really intend to do that. would you trust an accountant to manage your funds if he couldn't do multiplication and division. would you go to a surgeon who didn't pass all his medical exams? i believe it should be the same with faith. don't have faith just because you are told to. have faith in something you have taken the time to fully understand and find to be logical. Also hearing another persons point of view always makes your vision twice as broad. its better in my mind to understand something from more angles than my own.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
one other bit of curiosity. everyone always goes back to incest as being the answer to my original question. which i can see except for one thing. there is a really good reason incest is illegal other than the fact that its repulsive. it creates mutated genes. so if that were the case, then wouldn't the world look like a really big scene out of "the hills have eyes" or something? or maybe that is where disease did in fact come from, don't know but this is something ive thought about a little bit.
10808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / in my office
Offline
Posted 1/7/15


On your second point - I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you are correct in that.

according to the national geographic if all of the ice in the entire world melted the sea level would be raised approximately 216 cubic feet.

24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

DarksirenxX wrote:



according to the national geographic if all of the ice in the entire world melted the sea level would be raised approximately 216 cubic feet.



Here's an interactive map from National Geographic: http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

We both appear to be mistaken on that regard.
41690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Somewhere
Offline
Posted 1/7/15


You would be correct that Moses is the Highly accepted author of Genesis.

3) Genesis is part of the Pentateuch( This consists of the first five books of the Bible) and is believed to be written by Moses or seventy wise men after Moses's Death. According to The New Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh Mcdowell such verses like Exodus 24:4,7; Exodus 34: 27; Deuteronomy 31:9; and Deuteronomy 31:24-26 show that Moses was the author. There is a whole chapter in the book by Josh Mcdowell discussing how Moses is author of the Pentateuch, but I don't need to go into a word for word on it.

5) Now if one was maybe to take into consideration the Ice Age, could that may be a reason for Noah's Flood? Just curious as that may have contributed or is it believed that the Ice Age came after the Flood?

Again according to Josh Mcdowell( it's the only Book I could find in my collection that addresses most of these questions) for Geological evidence there are partial skeletons of recent animals that have been found in fissures. He continues to say that since these skeletons are not complete they could not have fell in the fissure alive. He also mentions that this is evidence for a Flood because some of the fissures that are located on hills of great height( 140 to 300ft) contain these partial skeletons. He mentions how the calcite cementing of the diverse bones together indicates that they were deposited underwater.

According to OP's other points I believe they have already been addressed and I can't think of anything to add. I'm just giving a source to add and what not. If I come across something in one of the Theology books I own that apply to any of the questions I will mention them.
Posted 1/7/15

DarksirenxX wrote:

one other bit of curiosity. everyone always goes back to incest as being the answer to my original question. which i can see except for one thing. there is a really good reason incest is illegal other than the fact that its repulsive. it creates mutated genes. so if that were the case, then wouldn't the world look like a really big scene out of "the hills have eyes" or something? or maybe that is where disease did in fact come from, don't know but this is something ive thought about a little bit.


It is a fact that incest happened in the Bible (the people I mentioned before) and yet, they had beautiful and perfectly normal children. It could be that God was in control because the Bible mentions a time when God hid his face from the Earth (he didn't look for anyone or did anything) so my theory is that God was in control during that time. It wasn't until later that incest was prohibited....later when there was enough people to procreate with others outside your family.

Also, the Bible didn't explain every little detail so if you're going to question every little detail you will go crazy. Like when God said on the Bible "he drew a circle upon the face of the depth" and "It is He who sits above the circle of the earth"...are you going to imagine God drawing a circle with his finger and actually sitting on the earth? it is because of this that people thought that the Earth was flat, they thought that he literally drew a circle like when we draw it on paper and it had to be flat so he could sit...*laughs* the Bible is spiritual and it is often written in parables (it uses metaphors a lot).
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.