First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Did you know? from an aerial veiw the bible resembles swiss cheese.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


DarksirenxX wrote:

just having faith in something that makes no sense at all? nope i don't really intend to do that. would you trust an accountant to manage your funds if he couldn't do multiplication and division. would you go to a surgeon who didn't pass all his medical exams? i believe it should be the same with faith. don't have faith just because you are told to. have faith in something you have taken the time to fully understand and find to be logical. Also hearing another persons point of view always makes your vision twice as broad. its better in my mind to understand something from more angles than my own.


I don't really understand all you're saying here but I think me wanting to break away from Christianity was always lurking in me. I don't like it's nature. I don't like how when I go to church people chant, simultaneously, sickening phrases not really thinking about what they're saying, I don't like how I have to sing hymns about doing anything for God when he never asked me how I felt, I don't like believing in something that doesn't show any sign of existence, I don't like how we always have to be sorry for being ourselves and apologize for our mistakes, we're not supernatural beings, we make mistakes because we haven't learnt yet, it's like God want us to apologize for being human, I just hate it. It's like he's saying "I made you this imperfect now apologize for being this imperfect" even though it's his fault. It's not freedom, it's jail, you feel tied down. The Satanic interpretation of the Bible is that Satan (Lucifer; a much nicer name) is the good guy in the bible.. I'm actually tempted to believe that because by making Adam and Eve eat that apple, he gave them freedom of thought, allowing them for themselves to make a decision on what's right and wrong and make up their own morals, it seemed like God just wanted them to be mindless puppets who obeyed him without a thought to what the reasons were.


but "Satan"means adversary. He's not the adversary of god, but the adversary of man. He's the one that tests mankind in Job, and in general is about testing the faith and mettle of mankind. (not a guy with a pitchfork). :P

I went the gnosticism route. god being wisdom, demiurge, world created faultily... then I kinda swung around somewhat to a more christian point of view, (kinda gave up the demiurge bit, but believe more in the world as being a crucible)
42905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

Arbitrator wrote:

3. I believe Moses is the generally accepted author of Genesis; he was inspired by the Holy Spirit.

5. Hypothetically speaking, if all the glaciers in the world were to unfreeze, would there not be a flood of global proportions?


As to number five.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

While it would suck for the coastlines, where much of the population is, I'm sure the temperature rise required to melt all the polar ice would be a bigger problem for the species as a whole.

869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

mdmrn wrote:

I neither hate you, nor am mad at you. I don't take what you're saying as an insult. I just think you're incorrect in your assessment of Christianity. Some people don't like to talk with people with different views, they feel threatened. I don't.


Well, look, I'm not going to agree with you, no offense but I'm just happier not believing. Let's just agree to disagree.
17299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prescott, AZ
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Honestly I don't care about this debate or whatever but there is one thing, and only one thing I wish to know:

The hell's up with this Thread Title?
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

piratequeen369 wrote:


mdmrn wrote:

I neither hate you, nor am mad at you. I don't take what you're saying as an insult. I just think you're incorrect in your assessment of Christianity. Some people don't like to talk with people with different views, they feel threatened. I don't.


Well, look, I'm not going to agree with you, no offense but I'm just happier not believing. Let's just agree to disagree.

And that's your decision to make, not mine, obviously. I'll pray for you.

Once again, let me emphasize - I don't hate you, I'm not offended by you asking questions of the faith, and if you wanted to talk more, I'm still here...well, not for most of the day today, as I'm working observing environmental excavation/sampling, but you get my point If you have questions or doubts on faith, you should be encouraged to talk about them, discuss them openly. The only way it becomes your own faith, whatever that faith may be, is when you challenge it yourself to understand it yourself, making it your own. Otherwise, you're just regurgitating what your parents believe &, frankly, that's not true faith.
20792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
religion is just a human construct to explain the previously unexplainable now with modern science we've more than proved religion false
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
The problem with religious debates is that it can never be proven one way or the other, that is the whole point of 'faith' so there is little reason for people to bother discussing it in the first place. It always ends with one side saying 'i am right, just except it'.
24570 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Honestly I don't care about this debate or whatever but there is one thing, and only one thing I wish to know:

The hell's up with this Thread Title?

I'm not sure. The headline feels purposefully inflammatory to spark conversation and get your attention which, it appears to have done


Scooty-Bby wrote:

The problem with religious debates is that it can never be proven one way or the other, that is the whole point of 'faith' so there is little reason for people to bother discussing it in the first place. It always ends with one side saying 'i am right, just except it'.

Pretty much anything we believe in requires faith.

It requires faith to trust in Christianity, which I freely acknowledge as a Christian. It also takes faith to trust in scientific theories of how the universe began. It takes faith to believe there is no god, whether atheists wish to acknowledge it or not. Faith in its most basic definition is trusting in something without necessarily having proof. We have no tangible evidence of God, but we have no tangible evidence to disprove His existence either. Either side in the debate requires a measure of faith to believe in what they believe.

But, I digress.
8156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / M / Connecticut, USA
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
Hey I have an idea...why not go to a site about anime and post things I find wrong about the Bible instead of going to The Shepherds Chapel website, where they will answer all my questions about the Bible On live television?
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Honestly I don't care about this debate or whatever but there is one thing, and only one thing I wish to know:

The hell's up with this Thread Title?


She's using metaphor to imply that, if holes in arguments were transformed into physical holes in the actual book, the book itself would look like a thing with many holes in it. Oddly enough, not all swiss cheese has holes. It's also worth noting that anyone with half a brain can come up with an explanation for any of her points. As an atheist, it's a little embarrassing. Here's some thoughts off the top of my head:

1. If someone loses an arm, do all his descendents lose their arms?

2/3. Surely you don't think the entirety of the hebrew population's been recorded? When does it say that the two sons were the entirety of the progeny? As to recording it, what's wrong with Adam and Eve knowing how to write? They did eat from the tree of knowledge, and actually, they're responsible for giving everything names as well -- I don't see the problem with writing. Even if that's not true, there's no theoretical difficulties with oral transmission, particularly when you assume an all-powerful deity is watching over it. Your argument is what Dawkins, oddly enough, calls the "argument from personal incredulity." You saying that you don't think reliable oral transmission is likely (and therefore possible) is comparable to a creationist saying that they don't think random mutations leading to humanity is likely (and therefore possible). We don't really have much data on either point, and it seems far-fetched to have any firm convictions on those grounds.

4. Under the circumstances, I'm sure you'll agree that a sin will be committed by the sodomites. Lot has no power of his own to stop this. Given that this will happen, Lot decides that it is better to have his daughter the victim than a complete stranger. In other words, there will be a victim, and Lot decides that one victim is preferred to another. It's the same concept you get in anime where the sadistic villain says "I'll kill Person A or Person B, and I want you to choose" and the protagonist has no power to stop them. Usually they pussy out and both die, but in this situation, Lot makes a decision to save the stranger. I see no problem. Or are you suggesting an alternative? Maybe you think Lot should have heroically bashed in every head in the city while riding out with his family on his back? Or watch while a blameless stranger is raped in front of his house? I'm not sure what you're suggesting Lot should have done.

5. Have you considered the possibility that God, after creating the universe, might have been able to create and destroy water? It's kind of missing the meaning of the word "God" if you don't think he's capable of miracles. In fact, it's sort of the point that these things couldn't occur under a solely naturalistic system. Assuming miracles are invalid before you start renders all your conclusions from that assumption meaningless, because the point is exactly that these things aren't explainable by science.

Keep in mind that Christian Apologetics has a couple thousand years of explanatory practice. There are lots of good reasons to be skeptical about the Judeo-Christian texts, and none of these are very good. Frankly, it appears to me that you haven't put any effort into actually checking if there's any arguments out there for these things, unless this is supposed to be your effort. If that's the case, then you're being terribly inefficient about it.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Honestly I don't care about this debate or whatever but there is one thing, and only one thing I wish to know:

The hell's up with this Thread Title?


I know, I was like, "wait, wha....?"

I was trying to figure out the bible part and how someone fat fingered it or what crazy peripheral-style thread was being created... (I did check, and sadly, it wasn't his)

Then I kinda thought, "maybe it's some retarded video where someone laid out all the pages of the bible on the ground and decided to photograph it from high up or something"

Nope, just more heated discussions because someone takes the literal approach to attacking the bible.. Like THAT hasn't been done since time immemorial... Or yielded the same disdain of trying to shoot BIIIIIIG fish in TINY buckets.
11154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/8/15

periah250 wrote:

religion is just a human construct to explain the previously unexplainable now with modern science we've more than proved religion false


Do you actually believe that?
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
on the whole incest thing, i believe that from the beginning there weren't all the genetic mutations there are now. i mean it takes time for that to come along -- think of evolution, it just doesn't just happen at once. we didn't start as mutated beings. We began as perfect beings.
33373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

serifsansserif wrote:


Rippedyanu1 wrote:

Honestly I don't care about this debate or whatever but there is one thing, and only one thing I wish to know:

The hell's up with this Thread Title?


I know, I was like, "wait, wha....?"

I was trying to figure out the bible part and how someone fat fingered it or what crazy peripheral-style thread was being created... (I did check, and sadly, it wasn't his)

Then I kinda thought, "maybe it's some retarded video where someone laid out all the pages of the bible on the ground and decided to photograph it from high up or something"

Nope, just more heated discussions because someone takes the literal approach to attacking the bible.. Like THAT hasn't been done since time immemorial... Or yielded the same disdain of trying to shoot BIIIIIIG fish in TINY buckets.


I'm still waiting for the next update
The Stone Table 2.0 with touch screen, because I need a new tablet, plus it's equipped with God_OS, and that's like God tier level OS.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15 , edited 1/8/15

pandrasb wrote:

I'm still waiting for the next update
The Stone Table 2.0 with touch screen, because I need a new tablet, plus it's equipped with God_OS, and that's like God tier level OS.


I hear it's still in development. They're about 40 years into it, and really the biggest problem is that they're trying to excise a lot of the old code that's outdated/unusable, but unfortunately, they're trying to be overly precise so it's getting pretty bloated and buggy.

Personally, I liked the GoldenRule1.0 freeware alternative, but it takes a lot of work and study to understand how it works, and not many people are familiar with it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.