First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Animes like Ghost in the shell, Black lagoon..
4453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
I'm looking for sci-fi anime.
More adult like themes, possibly female main as in Ghost in the shell. I like the gritty theme to both black lagoon and Ghost in the shell.

Anime I've seen:
jormungand
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the shell
Black lagoon
Techno
Lain
Akira
Psycho pass
Neon Evang
Coppelion(never liked)
Tsukihime
Mushishi

Right now on my list:
Appleseed
Kara no Kyoukai

It's a tight stretch now because I'm not finding anything above my ideas.

Better yet doesn't even have to be sci-fi. Just adult theme's more serious, less about romance.

3614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Rochester, NY
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Deadman Wonderland

It is a true indictment on for profit prison system!
52893 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
Hmm not a Female lead, but what about Gantz?

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, dual Mains including a Female, as romance aspect but does not delude its theme.

EDIT: Honey and Clover comes to mind, female lead, "adult" themes, not sci-fi however.
Canaan, as well, female lead.

I can Rec more if you add a bit more specificity with the themes.
43676 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

rosegirl346 wrote:

I'm looking for sci-fi anime.
More adult like themes, possibly female main as in Ghost in the shell. I like the gritty theme to both black lagoon and Ghost in the shell.

Anime I've seen:
jormungand
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the shell
Black lagoon
Techno
Lain
Akira
Psycho pass
Neon Evang
Coppelion(never liked)
Tsukihime
Mushishi

Right now on my list:
Appleseed
Kara no Kyoukai

It's a tight stretch now because I'm not finding anything above my ideas.

Better yet doesn't even have to be sci-fi. Just adult theme's more serious, less about romance.
Here's a post I made

/forumtopic-882289/is-there-a-list-of#48889481

over in the forum where you should actually be asking for recommendations:

/forumcategory-391038/advice-info-recommendations
71062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
Kino's Journey (more sublime than gritty, but very theme-oriented).
Haibane Renmei (same as above).
Perfect Blue (strongly recommended).
Genocyber (possibly; it's a tad old but I liked it, and it's sci-fi).
The Twelve Kingdoms.
Moribito (Balsa is an amazing protagonist, female or otherwise).
Boogiepop Phantom (recommended if you liked Lain).
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (same director as Ghost in the Shell).
Mardock Scramble (brutal, and cyberpunk).
Gunslinger Girl.
Elfen Lied (maybe, maybe not).
RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne (possibly).
Fate/Zero.

Adding:

Black Rock Shooter.
Now and Then, Here and There (MC is male, there are main female characters though).
Shin Sekai Yori.
104119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

asharka wrote:


rosegirl346 wrote:

I'm looking for sci-fi anime.
More adult like themes, possibly female main as in Ghost in the shell. I like the gritty theme to both black lagoon and Ghost in the shell.

Anime I've seen:
jormungand
Ergo Proxy
Ghost in the shell
Black lagoon
Techno
Lain
Akira
Psycho pass
Neon Evang
Coppelion(never liked)
Tsukihime
Mushishi

Right now on my list:
Appleseed
Kara no Kyoukai

It's a tight stretch now because I'm not finding anything above my ideas.

Better yet doesn't even have to be sci-fi. Just adult theme's more serious, less about romance.
Here's a post I made

/forumtopic-882289/is-there-a-list-of#48889481

over in the forum where you should actually be asking for recommendations:

/forumcategory-391038/advice-info-recommendations


might as well promote your own group.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/group/Rotten_Sushi#s=/group/Rotten_Sushi/pages
4453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Florida
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
@eightcar I've actually seen that
@cay032692 Eh.. Gantz wasn't my thing and Phantom: Requiem I'll try.
@asharka Got it but I didn't know that. It didn't specify that, I just assumed "anime" was the forum to go.. I rarely post on forums.
@Insomnist Wow good list saw half of those, Morbito looks good and so does Perfect Blue. I seen people recommend that( Kino's) but so many people say it's really good. Gotta watch. Jin-Roh and Gunslinger girl looks really good too. Genocyber obviously cyber will watch.

Thanks so far
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Casshern Sins
mnmike 
20137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Trigun: Space Cowboy setting (Mostly old-west style technology,with fading remnants of previous civilization's tech laying around)

Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood : Setting is the same for both series, and mixes fantasy and sci-fi elements.

Both Trigun and the FMA shows start out lighter, but get progressively more darker and serious as they go on.

Crest of the Stars: An older series (sequel series is called Banner of the Stars), so the art is a bit out-dated, but if you like Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek-style space shows, check it out. You might have to scrounge a bit to find it, however.
71062 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Seconding Casshern Sins.
mnmike 
20137 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Oh, and of course there is Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (both made by the same people.

Cowboy Bepop is Space Cowboy again.

Samurai Champloo isn't sci-fi... it's set in a faux-1800s Japan, but if you like good swordplay...
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
Copellon was... harsh. So was texnolyze. For similar and yet opposite reasons.

GITS: Arise? They just added it to netflix. And did you watch BOTH GITS movies, and both GITS;SAC series?
Just covering bases

Parasite Dolls
TO:
Time of EVE
RahXephon



You hit a lot of good ones, and there's ones floating in my mind that I can't put titles to.
Outside of scifi/cyberpunk, you may also enjoy Another, simply because the mystery part was good. Same with Okamikakushi. Gasaraki was some weird yet heavy giant robot anime. I coudn't get through it but you might.


You know what? Fuck it. Boogiepop Phantom. Soundtrack is fucking PHENOMENAL, Strong female character, who is something emotionless. Episodic yet the order is weird and are from different prespectives. Definitely psychological and philosophical. You'll totally dig it.

Some quotes from wikipedia's page:

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15

rosegirl346 wrote:

@eightcar I've actually seen that
@cay032692 Eh.. Gantz wasn't my thing and Phantom: Requiem I'll try.
@asharka Got it but I didn't know that. It didn't specify that, I just assumed "anime" was the forum to go.. I rarely post on forums.
@Insomnist Wow good list saw half of those, Morbito looks good and so does Perfect Blue. I seen people recommend that( Kino's) but so many people say it's really good. Gotta watch. Jin-Roh and Gunslinger girl looks really good too. Genocyber obviously cyber will watch.

Thanks so far :D


If perfect blue looks good, check out the rest of Satoshi Kon's work. Paranoia Agent, Tokyo Godfathers, Millennium Actress, Paprika, and shit.. I'm missing something else. Also Memories. he did a short in that... What's the other one of his films!?!?!?
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/7/15 , edited 1/7/15
does anyone remember that little known post apocalyptic anime title where a girl is the last person alive and I think there's a robot too, and it was full of teh feels and only had 4 parts and was from the 90's? ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

That's the problem growing old. You know or remember so much, but then the ther half of your memory is shot...

EDIT: Found it. Kurogane Communication.

For those of you that recommended Mushishi and Kino No Tabi, check out that. (and if you liked 12 kingdoms, Mermaid Forest as well)
6403 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / The Abyss of Time
Offline
Posted 1/7/15
Speed Grapher has a male lead but from my perspective carries a cynical-mature atmosphere. (also haven't seen it mentioned yet so tossing it out there xD)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.