First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
What is with all of these stupid topics in GD?
55109 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / West
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
I'm not sure I would use the word stupid, more like silly topics, but that is okay, it is a nice break from serious scary world issues.
62175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Online
Posted 1/12/15
GD is essentially /b with kid gloves.
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
Freedom of speech
33369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
Because you can give a stupid answer. I don't actually think they're being serious, just messing around. (captain obvious iKnow)

I think they're rather fun, just gotta watch out for mods, I mean *ahem*
Posted 1/12/15
meh, people are allowed to discuss serious things as well as random things. I just ignore it.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
ur stupid
1926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Surrey, UK
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
Stupid is as stupid does.
52465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Riding sound waves
Offline
Posted 1/12/15

BlackStarLine wrote:

Stupid is as stupid does.


My momma always said, life is like a box of chocolates
Posted 1/12/15
I'm sorry...Half of them are mine.
34883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / the bay
Online
Posted 1/12/15
oh no wonder..i thought extended discussion just disappeared or something o.o

@OP idk its just fun i guess
1246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
I enjoy "stupid" discussions, because they're are fun and lighthearted. Once war and religion get brought up, people get angry and can't compromise or say things in a nice way. So yeah, silly threads are the way to go in my book.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/15

saksiss wrote:

Then you get all these tools making topics about religion, which sparks a debate, which turns into a flame war.. They're stupid and don't even know it.


Oh.. I thought this was about the "what's your favorite color!?!???!?!!?" type of discussions.

Religion and hotly debated subjects, huh?

They're typically about self validation, and comments for the opposing side are treated as though they're all personal attacks, (and generally they view your side as the same). It's also about making yourself feel morally superior, and skewing facts to make it seem like you're right.

Too much at stake to say "I dunno" or "I don't care" or something to that effect.
40005 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / HI
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
Just because we can
Posted 1/12/15 , edited 1/12/15

serifsansserif wrote:


saksiss wrote:

Then you get all these tools making topics about religion, which sparks a debate, which turns into a flame war.. They're stupid and don't even know it.


Oh.. I thought this was about the "what's your favorite color!?!???!?!!?" type of discussions.

Religion and hotly debated subjects, huh?

They're typically about self validation, and comments for the opposing side are treated as though they're all personal attacks, (and generally they view your side as the same). It's also about making yourself feel morally superior, and skewing facts to make it seem like you're right.

Too much at stake to say "I dunno" or "I don't care" or something to that effect.


I agree, although I think these are vague generalizations, and don't think everyone involved in those discussions is like that. Getting passionate in a heated argument does tend to make more people have tunnel vision and more likely prone to be willing to cross ethical boundaries for the sake of "winning at all costs". More on the corrupting influence of the Dark Side when Phersu attends my next lecture.XD
I don't know. It just seems like an act of censorship to blame those types of discussions instead of the behavour or inadequacy of the debaters and remove the designated spaces for having them done properly. Its almost as if saying talking about something serious cannot be done here in this place so lets just de facto boycott it, discourage it by drowning it out in the sea of nonsense that is General Discussion because talking about serious stuff like educated grownups reflects poorly on our burnt-out community ! (when what needed to be done was more moderators MODERATING the damn Extended Discussion Forums more ! But I digress.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/12/15

symphonicecho wrote:

I agree, although I think these are vague generalizations, and don't think everyone involved in those discussions is like that. Getting passionate in a heated argument does tend to make more people have tunnel vision and more likely prone to be willing to cross ethical boundaries for the sake of "winning at all costs". More on the corrupting influence of the Dark Side when Phersu attends my next lecture.XD
I don't know. It just seems like an act of censorship to blame those types of discussions instead of the behavour or inadequacy of the debaters and remove the designated spaces for having them done properly. Its almost as if saying talking about something serious cannot be done here in this place so lets just de facto boycott it, discourage it by drowning it out in the sea of nonsense that is General Discussion because talking about serious stuff like educated grownups reflects poorly on our burnt-out community ! (when what needed to be done was more moderators MODERATING the damn Extended Discussion Forums more ! But I digress.


Vague generalizations instead of trying to figure out what each motive is for each topic. :P

The funny thing is, I don't think it's about getting passionate, as much as it is too much passion from the start. Here I'm thinking specifically of the new feminism from last year that finds it perfectly acceptable to say that 90% of the male population should be "cleansed" and that "bathing in male tears" is acceptable discourse... But men should of course accept that they are the oppressed victims and assist them. I'm fine for equality, but fuck.... That's not the way you get supporters.

Or there's the atheism debate. Atheists rallying to fight "religion" when really all they want to do is assert some sort of authority on them having the one and only truth while tearing apart the straw man argument that is set up by christian fundamentalists.

Or there's the vegans/animal rights activists that love to post snuff shots of animals and tell me how wretched humanity is. It only elicits one response from me. Eating more cute and cuddly animals and posting pictures of it. I hate it when my emotions are being preyed upon.

And the "special snowflakes" that think they're some sort of enlightened being rather than admitting they're just drawn to drama to express some sort of fluffy nonsense while eating mayo out of the jar, stroking their egos furiously.

And it's not here. It's the internet itself that's DRENCHED in it. And it bleeds into the debates here. And it bleeds into the real world.

As for the extended discussions being taken down? I honestly think they were aiming for getting more people involved in more serious discussion. That's the opinion I got when they posted the poll about polls and talked about the changes (before the changes were made).

For the most part extended discussions were better argued here, and I think, in general, the CR members are better behaved than elsewhere. It's a shame the serious topics seem to peter out way too quickly, but ehhh... It's fine for me. I just wish there were fewer topics in general. I tend to follow from the "discussion" page, so I get Gen Disc. Games, anime, manga/comics, etc... It's a LOT of forums to sift through like that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.