First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
kills 99.9%
17306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/8/15
For legal reasons.
If you notice in commercials when they have little buggies that get sprayed/washed, whatever,
they always leave one or two wiggling on the around screen to give a visual indication that they are not claiming 100 percent.

There are things called endospores which require high pressure to kill, not any kind of pressure you could generate at home without an autoclave.
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/10/15 , edited 1/10/15

pvcconvoy wrote:

So I have always wondered, why does anti bacteria spray or other cleaning supplies say it only kills 99.9%, what will happen if it kills 100%? Why does it not kill 100%? It's just something that kind of bugged me and I'm curious to know why.


Its so you cant sue them. If you use their spray and then get ill because of some bacteria, they can say 'its only 99.9% and therefore it missed the other 0.1%'
Its basically their escape clause...
23471 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Iowa >.>
Offline
Posted 1/10/15
maybe 100% would kill us
4761 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/10/15
Those antiseptics don't do much in terms of killing microbes. It has to be safe for direct application on the skin.
70 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 1/10/15 , edited 1/10/15


http://xkcd.com/1161/
One Punch Mod
96768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/15/17
New Year cleaning -- closing threads with no new posts since 2015.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.