First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply How is your local library with Manga?
20821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 1/12/15 , edited 1/12/15
For those who use libraries to check out manga, or have gone to a local library disappointed in their manga selection, I am curious how good is your local libraries manga selection.

Is their selection large or small? Obscure or mainstream? Or do they not have any manga at all?

My local libraries 3 branches barely have anything. Volumes 4 and 8 of Naruto, 1-6 of Hikaru no Go, some volumes of Vampire Knight & Yu-Gi-Oh then maybe 10 or so obscure manga titles.

However, I discovered that my local library partners with most of the libraries in my county and some of them have a good selection of manga I want to read.

One of them has many or all volumes of Bakuman, Naruto, Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Fairy Tail, Bleach, One Piece, InuYasha, Soul Eater, basically everything I want to read right now.
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/12/15
The last time I was at my library, they didn't have a single thing
Arcsol 
5120 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
I live in a rural town of about 18,000 people. But I was surprised to find when I was still a kid that our library had manga xD. The selection is still updated even now. Though our library functions by if we request a certain book they will pick it up. And my town also has a surprising amount of people who watch anime/read manga, so there are always requests lol.
1246 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F / Connecticut
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
They used to have an interesting mix of manga. They had shounen, like Naruto and Bleach, but I had also read Gunslinger Girl from there. But now they relocated my library, so all of the manga are gone :'( My high school library has the emptiest manga shelf ever. There are like 3 Naruto manga and a really old shoujo, and maybe a book of Sailor Moon. I'm starting to miss middle school, purely because they had a lot of manga. They had Chibi Vampire, the standard shounen, all of Psyren, Naruto, Bleach and Sailor Moon, and they had even had Fruits Basket.
1401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Hype Express
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
My library in Knoxville, TN stocks the full Death Note collection, some Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Bakuman, and surprisingly more obscure ones like Skip Beat, Bokurano, and they just got two brand-new Seraph of the End tankobons in. There's pretty much nothing published by anybody that isn't VIZ.

Surprisingly, all their Naruto volumes are not at the big downtown flagship library but at a small library out at the end of the county surrounded by cow pastures...
7106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere in rura...
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

Kochan888 wrote:

My library in Knoxville, TN stocks the full Death Note collection, some Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Bakuman, and surprisingly more obscure ones like Skip Beat, Bokurano, and they just got two brand-new Seraph of the End tankobons in. There's pretty much nothing published by anybody that isn't VIZ.

Surprisingly, all their Naruto volumes are not at the big downtown flagship library but at a small library out at the end of the county surrounded by cow pastures...


Wait, Knoxville's library has manga? o.O I go to UTK, and it seems every time I go somewhere, I meet someone who is into anime/manga. Like, half of my floor are into Yu-Gi-Oh too, which is weird, and I feel like I should be disturbed.
1401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / The Hype Express
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

KP_Wrath wrote:


Kochan888 wrote:

My library in Knoxville, TN stocks the full Death Note collection, some Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Bakuman, and surprisingly more obscure ones like Skip Beat, Bokurano, and they just got two brand-new Seraph of the End tankobons in. There's pretty much nothing published by anybody that isn't VIZ.

Surprisingly, all their Naruto volumes are not at the big downtown flagship library but at a small library out at the end of the county surrounded by cow pastures...


Wait, Knoxville's library has manga? o.O I go to UTK, and it seems every time I go somewhere, I meet someone who is into anime/manga. Like, half of my floor are into Yu-Gi-Oh too, which is weird, and I feel like I should be disturbed.


I mainly go to Cedar Bluff, Lawson McGhee has a pretty big collection but it's hard to find. First floor next to the biographies in the middle. I can hardly remember where they were myself.
119633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
My library has tons of manga and always gets new ones often.
969 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
My Library is okay. I wish they got more of a variety of stuff. They mainly get Shonen Jump stuff and what not but recently they have more stuff. My PROBLEM is my fellow manga readers. They check out stuff and don't return it so something will be in the online catalog and then, GONE. SMH not fair. And it makes us all look back.
53 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Somewhere in the UK
Offline
Posted 1/13/15 , edited 1/13/15
Our town's library has very little manga and it never gets updated. They only have the first few volumes of the really "mainstream" stuff, such as Bleach, one Piece, Naruto, and Death Note. I'm guessing Manga is pretty unpopular in my area, which is a shame because it would be nice to pick up a small series every now and again without having to buy it.
24560 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Our library has all manner of manga. I've actually been reading a LOT of manga by borrowing it through the Baltimore County Public library system. If you're interested, you can look it up here: http://www.bcpl.info/

But, I've been reading (and they have all copies of the US release of) - Pandora Hearts, Black Butler, Blue Exorcist, & Fullmetal Alchemist. They have a ton of stuff including Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Gantz...I could keep going, but yea, the link above shows what you can get from the network of libraries. They deliver it to your local library for you for free to pick up. It's great.

Also, there is an anime/manga club which meets at my library. Problem? It's for teens and I'm a 31 year old man. So, yea, I don't participate in that...
Sogno- 
45684 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
lol.... sucks. totally sucks. but i live in small country town so it is to be expected
7106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Somewhere in rura...
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

Kochan888 wrote:


KP_Wrath wrote:


Kochan888 wrote:

My library in Knoxville, TN stocks the full Death Note collection, some Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Bakuman, and surprisingly more obscure ones like Skip Beat, Bokurano, and they just got two brand-new Seraph of the End tankobons in. There's pretty much nothing published by anybody that isn't VIZ.

Surprisingly, all their Naruto volumes are not at the big downtown flagship library but at a small library out at the end of the county surrounded by cow pastures...


Wait, Knoxville's library has manga? o.O I go to UTK, and it seems every time I go somewhere, I meet someone who is into anime/manga. Like, half of my floor are into Yu-Gi-Oh too, which is weird, and I feel like I should be disturbed.


I mainly go to Cedar Bluff, Lawson McGhee has a pretty big collection but it's hard to find. First floor next to the biographies in the middle. I can hardly remember where they were myself.


Cedar Bluff is about 8 miles from campus, if memory serves. It's tempting, should I ever find myself wandering that area again. Hodges doesn't seem to have much, I tried to find the Miyazaki films last month and Nada.
46176 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
My library has a good amount and selection of manga. Its so great! They get some new releases the same week they come out.
1285 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Mostly Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, and One piece!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.