First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
Post Reply The most important message for humanity...
1452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

I can't believe you folks are dumb enough to propose that infinite consumption and infinite population growth is possible on a finite planet. We are already near peak population. And no we can't keep doubling population. The overpopulation is a myth website is full of shit and misinformation. They don't know anything. They are full of shit.

There is plenty of space on this planet. Yes, but there certainly isn't enough resources for any more doublings of the human population. Human population cannot double again. And even if it did double, we would have a die off. That's the case with all populations. No population infinitely grows forever. There is no case where any population (be it bacteria in a petri dish or caribou on an Arctic island) encounters favorable circumstances and grows in a vertical line without an immediate crash downwards. It is a law. It is a law as fundamental as gravity. It is a law as fundamental as thermodynamics.

Our population has been growing in a vertical line for the past 100 years. We shot up from 1.6 billion to 7.2 billion largely because of oil. And this isn't sustainable. This vertical growth in population can't go on forever. And if it does continue, there will be an inevitable collapse in the population because that's what happens to all species that go into overshoot in population. Let me repeat this...no amount of human ingenuity and technology can possibly overturn the laws of nature. Populations in overshoot always crash and die off afterwards.

Keep on doubling the population and see where that brings you. Hint. It will destroy the human race. Doomsayers were right the whole time. Just because the collapse of industrial civilization hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it will never happen. The signs of collapse are all around you.

Doubling the population, if that is even possible, will cause the population to go into a die off mode because the population overshot its carrying capacity. We are already exceeding our carrying capacity, and if we continue to increase population, the consequences will be dire. As in a huge die off will occur because that's just the law of nature that no amount of human technology and ingenuity can overcome.


I don't see what the big deal is
42905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Meh, population levels will level off once we drag half the world kicking and screaming out of the dark ages, assuming we can prevent the other half from sliding back into them. Sans immigration most modern/advanced/wealthy countries don't have much population growth. Once people don't need to have 10 kids cause half of them die young and the other half needs to work the farm they'll stop having so many.
42905 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

BlueOni wrote:


DesuMaiden wrote:

No amount of human ingenuity can possibly overturn the laws of nature. Industrial civilization is over. The collapse of industrial civilization will happen within the next couple of decades. By 2030 and 2040, industrial civilization will collapse, and we will have to live in a de-industrialized setting whether you like it or not.

None of the alternative energies have any promise of replacing our current infrastructure. This means total collapse once our current infrastructure is gone.

You don't need to go down with the collapse of industrial civilization. You can survive if you locally produce your own food without the use of petrochemicals. Local food production is perhaps key to the survival of the collapse of industrial civilization. Most people will have to return to farming and producing food after the collapse of industrial civilization. And we will go back to agrarian society in the future.


You're kidding. This isn't serious. It can't be.


he probably just has lots or money in oil, it's hard for him right now.
Posted 1/13/15
I wouldn't make it a political issue. After all littering is done liberally these days. (That's a joke for azazel )
31839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

DesuMaiden wrote:

I can't believe you folks are dumb enough to propose that infinite consumption and infinite population growth is possible on a finite planet. We are already near peak population. And no we can't keep doubling population. The overpopulation is a myth website is full of shit and misinformation. They don't know anything. They are full of shit.

There is plenty of space on this planet. Yes, but there certainly isn't enough resources for any more doublings of the human population. Human population cannot double again. And even if it did double, we would have a die off. That's the case with all populations. No population infinitely grows forever. There is no case where any population (be it bacteria in a petri dish or caribou on an Arctic island) encounters favorable circumstances and grows in a vertical line without an immediate crash downwards. It is a law. It is a law as fundamental as gravity. It is a law as fundamental as thermodynamics.

Our population has been growing in a vertical line for the past 100 years. We shot up from 1.6 billion to 7.2 billion largely because of oil. And this isn't sustainable. This vertical growth in population can't go on forever. And if it does continue, there will be an inevitable collapse in the population because that's what happens to all species that go into overshoot in population. Let me repeat this...no amount of human ingenuity and technology can possibly overturn the laws of nature. Populations in overshoot always crash and die off afterwards.

Keep on doubling the population and see where that brings you. Hint. It will destroy the human race. Doomsayers were right the whole time. Just because the collapse of industrial civilization hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it will never happen. The signs of collapse are all around you.

Doubling the population, if that is even possible, will cause the population to go into a die off mode because the population overshot its carrying capacity. We are already exceeding our carrying capacity, and if we continue to increase population, the consequences will be dire. As in a huge die off will occur because that's just the law of nature that no amount of human technology and ingenuity can overcome.
dude are you a hipster or a new ager or are you just trolling us with this subject.dude,while you may sacrifice for the common good(i really doubt it since you are using computer which in turns use energy)the political and scientist critters that live off at taxpayers expense are living their high lives full of all the amenities that tech can offer while the common hipster,nerd or new ager swallow up the crap without asking questions.dude,there no crisis of what you speak.the earth is big enough to sustain humanity with both food and water the prob is more political than anything else...people are starving in africa because their governments are shit thats all

31839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/15 , edited 1/13/15

mlchanges wrote:


BlueOni wrote:


DesuMaiden wrote:

No amount of human ingenuity can possibly overturn the laws of nature. Industrial civilization is over. The collapse of industrial civilization will happen within the next couple of decades. By 2030 and 2040, industrial civilization will collapse, and we will have to live in a de-industrialized setting whether you like it or not.

None of the alternative energies have any promise of replacing our current infrastructure. This means total collapse once our current infrastructure is gone.

You don't need to go down with the collapse of industrial civilization. You can survive if you locally produce your own food without the use of petrochemicals. Local food production is perhaps key to the survival of the collapse of industrial civilization. Most people will have to return to farming and producing food after the collapse of industrial civilization. And we will go back to agrarian society in the future.


You're kidding. This isn't serious. It can't be.


he probably just has lots or money in oil, it's hard for him right now.
Lol

Posted 1/13/15
saying the current species extinction rate is the same as when the dinosaurs got wiped out is inaccurate. this is very exaggerated. at the point where the massive meteor hit the Earth, 98% of genera is believed to be wiped out... that is a huge number in comparison to the extinction in present day.

human population growth didn't exponentially increased due to fossil fuel alone; increased recognition of human international rights, international laws that prevent countries from invading another (unless you're using a guise like saying you want to help that country instead -_-), and advanced medical knowledge have all contributed to human growth and mortality rates.

Back then humans would kill millions of one another in wars and stuffs. Nowadays, it's a relatively more peaceful time (unless you live in Gaza strip).

Medical knowledge and safety procedures like quarantine protocols have allowed humans to prevent or minimalise the damage caused by epidemics.

__________

If you want to convince someone, you have to make sure all your information is factual and not based on exaggeration/opinion. Otherwise the rest of your argument will seem... weak.


P.S. I'm on your side. Humans are disgusting filthy animals. I'm glad i'll be dead by the time oxygen itself will become taxable. -___-;



955 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / ᴀᴍɪᴅsᴛ ʙᴀᴛᴛʟᴇ
Offline
Posted 1/13/15

hi humanity
4018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Man, I like how people raise awareness for a good cause but unwilling to do jack crap about it but go to the internet and whine... :/
52465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Riding sound waves
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Posted 1/13/15
Its the Scientologists, they are taking over !
25185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
Lmao wish I lived and died in nomadic or agrarian society, life would have been way simpler. I see no good end for our kind. I feel bad for you OP, expressing your opinion on here is going to fall on deaf ears. No one cares, and thats the problem. As long as the financial sector, MNC's and governments control anything it will be a long time before the sedated, ignorant collective of society will rise up to counter it.
Posted 1/13/15
The Japanese predicted that this would happen long before World War II. If the Land of the Rising Sun had not surrendered during the second world war none of this would have been an issue. Obesity would be gone, fast food franchises shut down; people allover the world would have discovered better things to do than primitive "child-bearing". The industrial world is running at full blast unaware of the cliff that waits ahead.
41651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/13/15
as a misanthrope, here's my own brief letter to humanity

you suck.
6506 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/15 , edited 1/13/15

DesuMaiden wrote:


None of the alternative energies have any promise of replacing our current infrastructure. This means total collapse once our current infrastructure is gone.


This is nuts to me. Have you heard of capacitance?
http://sadoway.mit.edu/research/liquid-metal-batteries
It's basically batteries, and we're making tremendous strides in this field so that alternative energies don't just have promise, but make better sense.



Growing food locally is a good idea, I agree, but repurposing our farmland seems smarter to me. Enough with the fructose and the ethanol, enough with the cattle and the hogs. It's not that we shouldn't see population growth as a looming threat, or that we should continue with business as usual, but if we solve some of our current mismanagement of the globe, which we are starting to, and everybody is definitely starting to discuss, we can start making strides in the right direction as far as addressing a growing population.

The planet is finite, in the same token that our sun is finite. But there are lots of ways to use the resources that are less finite than coal and oil to keep the planet sustainable even with massive population.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.