First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Immortality
55520 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / 風の山
Offline
Posted 1/15/15

LupineShadow wrote:

No because eventually you'd be like literary vampires where they have just lived so long and experienced so much that everything is boring and you are starting wars or blowing up chunks of the world for fun. In short you'd eventually become the worst thing you could think of and you won't even care because your sense of right and wrong will have eroded over the centuries into jaded oblivion where everyone and everything only exists to please you.

The average person has issues; try giving those thousands of years to fester...yeah...no thanks.


but then as i said before you would have to worry about government trying to study you, unless somehow you become accepted by the public before that can happen. unlike vampires who actually have the ability to detour people, all we can do is hope that we don't get caught to begin with. right and wrong wouldn't change on a major basis, it will change over time as your judgement will change over the course of your regular life.

humans are curious creatures, we are alot easier to amuse then you would think. the more bored we get, the easier it is to get amused by random stuff and the cycle continues. the only way that you would get bored for all eternity is if you were completely depressed to begin with and nothing can bring that back. people death would slowly desensitize you, but at some point those individuals life becomes more meaningful to you.

Posted 1/15/15
Without a doubt, It's been something I've been wanting for a while now.
5447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Tacoma, WA. wind...
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15
I thought this was about immorality, not immortality....

Sorry...



(Just had to get that out of the way.)
26434 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Future Gadget Lab...
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15

Phersu wrote:

If you could be immortal, able to live forever, regenerate and survive from any wound.....

Would you?


I would.


Question: does this come with eternal youth (a human at their prime age)? I'm just saying because you're brain would eventually prune after getting so old and immortality doesn't solve issues with brain function.

17380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
Gotta get youth, painlessness, infinite patience, and the ability to reject diseases/parasites too.
There's a lot of stuff that can go wrong with immortality. Like getting trapped in concrete.
1096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / The Heavens
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
I would treat the world like a game of Civ and try to conquer all of it, then blow it up when I have had enough.
2025 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/15

tf2pyros wrote:

No, because if the world did explode, it would be pretty damn boring floating for all of eternity.


If it did happen then your lungs would continuously be crushing in on themselves and you'd keep dying and coming back to life until you reach a new planet with air. Also when you are immortal the chance of being somehow burried underground whether it be because of an earthquake or just a hole in the ground jumps to 100% so no its not worth it
2096 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15

wolfsaiga wrote:


LupineShadow wrote:

No because eventually you'd be like literary vampires where they have just lived so long and experienced so much that everything is boring and you are starting wars or blowing up chunks of the world for fun. In short you'd eventually become the worst thing you could think of and you won't even care because your sense of right and wrong will have eroded over the centuries into jaded oblivion where everyone and everything only exists to please you.

The average person has issues; try giving those thousands of years to fester...yeah...no thanks.


but then as i said before you would have to worry about government trying to study you, unless somehow you become accepted by the public before that can happen. unlike vampires who actually have the ability to detour people, all we can do is hope that we don't get caught to begin with. right and wrong wouldn't change on a major basis, it will change over time as your judgement will change over the course of your regular life.

humans are curious creatures, we are alot easier to amuse then you would think. the more bored we get, the easier it is to get amused by random stuff and the cycle continues. the only way that you would get bored for all eternity is if you were completely depressed to begin with and nothing can bring that back. people death would slowly desensitize you, but at some point those individuals life becomes more meaningful to you.



Not really true. Vampires don't always come with the ability to detour people, honestly why would they need to really. So long as you aren't being obvious about what you are, the average person isn't even going to look twice at you. You're not hoping, you're forced to live a life that doesn't give you away. You'd basically be a wanderer, not settling down for more than a handful of years at a time so that people won't notice you not aging. You'd have to change your identity as well so as not to still be yourself decades later and looking the same. In short you'd always be forced to isolate yourself and isolation is bad on the human psyche.

No one said that your concept of good and evil suddenly change, my post actually is pretty clear on the concept of this being after centuries of life as life basically becomes a grey corridor for you (you've experienced all there is to experience in your mind) and this isn't going to be helped by the type of life you'd have to live just to avoid being put into a lab somewhere.

Your mileage may vary, people react differently to the same stimuli. What amuses people and what doesn't is subjective and more so than that the amount of time you could live without cracking is obviously going to be different on a individual level. The problem however is that you say that you'd become desensitized to death and this isn't necessarily true. More than that, if you do become desensitized there isn't anything saying that psychologically you'd take that and then use it to create deeper and more meaningful appreciation of other lives. Heck if anything it is just as likely that you begin to think of people's lives as disposable and again this is just another step toward not valuing human life and falling into the selfishness trap that I described before.
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15
Nope. Too boring~ Living forever...~ Isn't such a great idea...~
23 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15
As the question is stated- no for me, because from what I gather you'd only be immortal. No other powers.

With that being said there's an old idea I once heard that if you were to live forever than the chances of you being trapped somewhere would become %100. Either via an earthquake, landslide, coffin, or government facility. That's just not something I'm willing to risk. And also there's the small detail of everyone I love dying and me having to constantly move on, not to mention that we have no idea what immortality would do to the psyche and I really don't want to exist a thousand years from now either insane or so jaded that I can't even recognized who I once was.
22408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CR Forums
Online
Posted 1/15/15

tf2pyros wrote:

No, because if the world did explode, it would be pretty damn boring floating for all of eternity.


1817 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / PA
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
Yes that would be very cool
27265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 1/15/15 , edited 1/15/15
No because you'd run outta money and then be a hobo for all eternity


mfafahim wrote:


tf2pyros wrote:

No, because if the world did explode, it would be pretty damn boring floating for all of eternity.


If it did happen then your lungs would continuously be crushing in on themselves and you'd keep dying and coming back to life until you reach a new planet with air. Also when you are immortal the chance of being somehow burried underground whether it be because of an earthquake or just a hole in the ground jumps to 100% so no its not worth it


...then burn up in the planet's atmosphere during re-entry
...or just plummet into a sun / atomized by a black hole
11789 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / Australia, Victoria
Offline
Posted 1/15/15
Of course I would choose to be immortal but my main problem about this is the age. You can't be a guy who is over 1,000 years old and alive.
8345 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
I like the sound of living forever but I dont like the 'regenerate any wound' part. The reason, if you ended up fed up with it or floating round space for all eternity, you'd have no way out if you couldnt kill yourself.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.