First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Times article - A Better Feminism
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
http://time.com/3651057/a-better-feminism-for-2015/

I stumbled across this a few weeks back.

Rather than posting in the whole "why are you against feminism" debate, I figure I'd rather start a discussion based on this article, which, hopefully may lead into a more positive direction.

For me, I grew up in the 80's which meant that I went through the biggest push for equality amongst the sexes in a LOOOONG time. This was the time where longitudinal studies between the sexes were being published frequently, where women pushed to stop color coding babies (blue for boys, pink for girls). In the schools we were taught as children to avoid sexist language. It's now a waitress, it's a server, it's not a stewardess, it's a flight attendant.. etc.

During the 90's I got to witness the change of the definition of rape in the eyes of the law to include men as possible victims of the crime, and if you read the FBI handbook now on how to identify sexual harassment, it's quite a magnificent piece of work in gender and sexual orientation inclusion.(I, unfortunately, can't find it on their site again :P)

I witness an unprecidented number of strong female figures rise to power and fame, and too this day, see more women dominating the conversations we have about policy. It was during the past 40 years that we've had, not once, but twice women run for presidential office, and there's a very likely chance that our last female candidate may run again in years.

The pay gap, according to pew research, is approximately 7 cents for each newly minted worker, although child rearing and career choices seem to make it difficult in maintaining that close number (on the other hand, more men than women find dissatisfaction at how much time they spend trying to raise their kids).

For all of the possibilities that feminism has made possible, I'm thrilled to see them come to fruition during the 90's and even into the 00's. But somewhere along the way, feminism changed. And it changed particularly last year. It seemed like once we had finally come ever so close to achieving a level of equality for women, the dialog changed from equality to something else.

In the end, I have to admit, I agree that if I am going to go back to being pro feminism, some things need to change, and the article is perhaps one of the best critiques of the movement that I've seen.

Please, read and discuss.
4500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
I'm all for the old feminism ideals of equality. I don't think that those who still want a hierarchy system changing from men on top to women on top are really feminists. That lot have given feminism a bad name today so some people are rejecting the whole idea or are ashamed to identify as such. Men can be feminists too.

Although there have been lots of improvements we must not forget that there are still issues that haven't been fully resolved. Then there's those that think that because they can't specifically say they've experienced sexism or feel underpriviledged because of their gender that things are okay. There's still girls being denied education because of their gender. There's still women and girls who do not have access to contraception or medical care. Their bodies are still valued only for sex. Some still die just because they weren't male. Even in the UK there is still a gender pay gap. Women can do well and earn a good living but that's still there. Women still lose promotions because they have been on maternity leave or need to work fewer hours due to childcare commitments. There is the equality laws that are supposed to stop that but employers get around that by stating that their jobs need specific hours and if a mother can't keep to those exact hours then they must step down. Father's do get some maternity leave which helps though I've rarely heard of a father using this time.
16843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
As I have said in the other thread, I have no problem with women achieving achieving what men can achieve, because despite everything, I believe that women have the same potential as men. I'm not denying the reality that there are issues here and there, such as pay-gaps, though I heard that the reason for some pay-gaps is based on earning income, and by earning income it means putting in the same amount of time as their male counterparts.
Nonetheless, there are still jobs here and there that dictate that women be paid lower wages than men for reasons based on gender.....in that case, it needs to be changed. To pay a woman less just because she is a woman is an absurdity in this day and age. At least, such a concept should be changed here in America, but I say this because whatever happens in other countries isn't my business, and as a foreigner I don't have a proper, competent stance to decide what's right and what's wrong.....though, admittedly, that may sound like a cop-out, especially if we're talking about other developed nations (first-world nations, if one prefers to call them that). Japan, for example; Japan is a developed nation much like us and most of the Western world, though they still have their own little quirks (to put it mildly). My friend once told me that a female employee of a corporation was bringing dishonor to the company. Sadly I forget all the details, as he mentioned this to me over two years ago. Whatever the case, this is another example of the "cultural differences" issue, an issue that some shrewd people would title as "the But Japan argument". I'm conflicted about this, because I remember watching a video in 8th Grade (1999) about foreign cultures, and the title was "Not Wrong, Just Different".....of course, the video we saw depicted foreign cultures that weren't as controversial as, say, the Middle East. Plus the video didn't show anything that would've evoked sociological debate. But my point here is that though I can denounce the absurdity of women's maltreatment in foreign cultures, I can't just barge in there and tell them how to behave.
Another example, albeit slightly less related, is a video I saw (back in 2006) of animals being skinned alive in China. I think it's heartbreaking, but imagine telling a Chinese person that; he'd probably tell you "Oh it's nothing bad, really. It's no different from how you Yankees treat cattle." As for concerns to human treatment in other cultures, apparently there are some tribes in Africa who believe that having sex with children is beneficial. I have contempt for sexual activity with children, and as such, I think it's disgusting. But, again, it's cultural differences, especially if it's some indigenous tribe in a foreign country. Even if we are the #1 superpower in the world (kind of, at this point in time), there are things in the world that we don't understand, and so we shouldn't let our sense of moral superiority blind us to various realities. If anything, those countries should deal with the issues themselves.

Now then, as for feminism....I still think that the types who truly believe in equality should consider using a different title ("egalitarian"), because "feminism" is a horribly-tainted title, due mostly to a lot of sh!t that's been occurring in recent years. The Internet has served as an outlet to a lot of "feminist" rhetoric, and much of it has gotten out of hand, to the point where people's lives can be endangered, all because of how a person feels. And it's not just life-endangerment based on "muh feelz", but also reviews of various media (including videogames). After observing most of this, I've come to believe that, if we truly give them enough time, there will be something like a "Regine Poulet Society" that will attempt to regulate things.....of course, I hate to use comedy as a reference to something serious; for those who don't know, this one "Regine Poulet Society" was featured in an episode of a classic animated sitcom, Duckman. Much of what happened in that episode ("Forbidden Fruit") was rather hyperbolic and exaggerated. However, even if Duckman was an animated comedy series, there were actually things that one could take from each episode and apply to life lessons, because Duckman evidently has had certain social commentary like that. But now that I mention that, the truth is that you can take something from any media portrayal.
Who knows what will happen in real-life? Considering that the ESRB was formed as a result of the Mortal Kombat game that premiered in 1992, I think there may be some organization that will form as more games continue to portray female characters in "unacceptable" ways, and it will commit to some regulation. Maybe we won't see this in our lifetimes, but I think the concept of an organization that regulates things based on "muh feelz" is a very real possibility. It's being built up to, slowly but surely. Contemporary feminism has an overwhelming population of self-hating "manginas", and many of these people can dox a person's private information as a means of blackmailing and/or coercing another person....all because of how he feels. If you wear a shirt depicting a collage of "scantily-clad" women, someone online will notice and freak out and sic legions of like-minded people to bully you into apologizing to the masses, regardless of what you have contributed to society. Stuff like that...

To speak fair of feminism, I think that if feminism is going to prosper, its adherents will require a proper adjustment of perspective. If one is going to fight for equality, then that should be it, because if you proceed to authoritativeness, you become a hypocrite. If feminism is about equality, then it should lay off the "Men this, men that" rhetoric, do away with "mansplaining", "manspreading", "pre-manstrual syndrome", and any other separatist rhetoric.

But I don't know. I can only say these things. It's up to the practitioner to make it happen...
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15

tkayt wrote:

I'm all for the old feminism ideals of equality. I don't think that those who still want a hierarchy system changing from men on top to women on top are really feminists. That lot have given feminism a bad name today so some people are rejecting the whole idea or are ashamed to identify as such. Men can be feminists too.

Although there have been lots of improvements we must not forget that there are still issues that haven't been fully resolved. Then there's those that think that because they can't specifically say they've experienced sexism or feel underpriviledged because of their gender that things are okay. There's still girls being denied education because of their gender. There's still women and girls who do not have access to contraception or medical care. Their bodies are still valued only for sex. Some still die just because they weren't male. Even in the UK there is still a gender pay gap. Women can do well and earn a good living but that's still there. Women still lose promotions because they have been on maternity leave or need to work fewer hours due to childcare commitments. There is the equality laws that are supposed to stop that but employers get around that by stating that their jobs need specific hours and if a mother can't keep to those exact hours then they must step down. Father's do get some maternity leave which helps though I've rarely heard of a father using this time.


I don't disagree... but then... Things don't make sense.
In the US, the percentage of college graduates that are female is about 60+%... that's fairly in line with our population actually.

The feminists of today applauded pulling funding from Planned Parenthood... One of the biggest organizations that promotes safe sex education in the schools, provides contraceptive methods to women, etc.... I can't really think of another organization that can step up to the plate for that.

The childcare aspect... It needs a lot of improvement. If you read the article, it states that penalties for child care might be one of the last frontiers for feminism to conquer. BUT, it also states, with sources, that the organization for women has repeatedly tried to squash any sort of reform to parental rights that might try to strike a fair balance between the sexes... It also seems to focus on female childcare benefits moreso than male, and yet, research indicates that men suffer for not having paternity leave available as well. (and looking further on, is it really right to be penalized because you choose to be single and NOT have children? Where will the balance between those that choose to be single and those who do not be struck)

Which leaves the question of whether or not equality is what is truly being sought.

Now, outside of the US, yes, there's horrific things going on every day to women. But, as the article also states, this seems to never come up in discussions, except as a defense as to why feminism is needed, but it's not the focus or the case of feminism in the US (and it is needed in those countries where there are these problems, but, is it needed here? [as the article states, feminism here is obsessed over men taking up too much room on subways, which begs the question of feminism's real need to exist in this country]).
4500 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 1/16/15 , edited 3/9/15

serifsansserif


I don't disagree... but then... Things don't make sense.
In the US, the percentage of college graduates that are female is about 60+%... that's fairly in line with our population actually.

The feminists of today applauded pulling funding from Planned Parenthood... One of the biggest organizations that promotes safe sex education in the schools, provides contraceptive methods to women, etc.... I can't really think of another organization that can step up to the plate for that.

The childcare aspect... It needs a lot of improvement. If you read the article, it states that penalties for child care might be one of the last frontiers for feminism to conquer. BUT, it also states, with sources, that the organization for women has repeatedly tried to squash any sort of reform to parental rights that might try to strike a fair balance between the sexes... It also seems to focus on female childcare benefits moreso than male, and yet, research indicates that men suffer for not having paternity leave available as well. (and looking further on, is it really right to be penalized because you choose to be single and NOT have children? Where will the balance between those that choose to be single and those who do not be struck)

Which leaves the question of whether or not equality is what is truly being sought.

Now, outside of the US, yes, there's horrific things going on every day to women. But, as the article also states, this seems to never come up in discussions, except as a defense as to why feminism is needed, but it's not the focus or the case of feminism in the US (and it is needed in those countries where there are these problems, but, is it needed here? [as the article states, feminism here is obsessed over men taking up too much room on subways, which begs the question of feminism's real need to exist in this country]).


Yes it's still needed. In the USA there those that support purity balls. There's rape culture (ie slut shaming and teaching girls/women not to get raped rather than teaching people not to rape) and you've mentioned lack of funding for contraception and sex education. There's sexual abuse and paedophilia of both genders. There's domestic violence that does affect both genders but affect women in greater numbers. There's sexual harassment. There's the patriarchal porn industry. Just because some things aren't in your face all the time doesn't mean they don't exist.

It seems the focus on trivial stuff is drawing attention away from more serious problems. That may be because these problems are very complex or because some people have given up believing they can change things.

9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15 , edited 1/16/15

tkayt wrote:

Yes it's still needed. In the USA there those that support purity balls. There's rape culture (ie slut shaming and teaching girls/women not to get raped rather than teaching people not to rape) and you've mentioned lack of funding for contraception and sex education. There's sexual abuse and paedophilia of both genders. There's domestic violence that does affect both genders but affect women in greater numbers. There's sexual harassment. There's the patriarchal porn industry. Just because some things aren't in your face all the time doesn't mean they don't exist.

It seems the focus on trivial stuff is drawing attention away from more serious problems. That may be because these problems are very complex or because some people have given up believing they can change things.



What's that group that supports rape awareness? They've flat out said that rape culture is a myth.
http://time.com/30545/its-time-to-end-rape-culture-hysteria/

The porn industry.... Ooog.. the whole ordeal with Belle Knox is just... painful.. for both sides.
http://time.com/30397/duke-porn-star-is-right-kink-can-be-a-feminist-choice/

EDIT: I just tidied up the quotes.

Also, realizing I'm quoting TIME magazine a lot. Not trying to. Google's being... weird... O.o
91 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Long Island, NY
Offline
Posted 1/16/15 , edited 1/16/15
Too inconsistent. "Women should be treated equally." -- Ok, totally agree.
>"Ladies first."
>"Guys should never hit girls."
>"Guys should treat girls with respect."
== Guys should treat girls specially. --Ok, wait... what?

Do they want to be treated equally or specially? Surely, equally would mean treating them like guys. If so, all those things that were taught about chivalry/gentlemen was completely pointless.
>Men fight for first.
>Men hit each other for the dumbest reasons.
>Men have to earn each other's respect.
16843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
I remember the first time I heard of the term "rape culture" a few years back; when I first heard it I was like "What the f***?" as though it implied that there's a group of people (culture) that say "Yeah; we rape women," or something....but I was naive, as usual. I guess "rape culture" encompasses rape awareness, as well as survivors or rape.....and, for better or for worse (usually the latter), encouraging methods to prevent rape, usually by means of self-defense methods. But, I didn't know rape culture also involved slut-shaming.

As much as I disagree with third wave radical feminism, I am against rape. Of course, one with a healthy mind would know that rape is wrong. Sadly, the only source I can reference regarding my feelings of rape are something that is a bit off-topic of what this thread is trying to explain (click here, of course). There is no excuse for rape, no matter what, though there are people who will argue "Oh but it's natural to have hormones and want to act on them," but then I have to bring up things like "restraint" and "discipline". Is it really that hard to understand, that just because a woman is dressed a certain way in public doesn't mean she's asking to be f***ed there and then? You may get a boner, but still. But then there's the argument of "mixed signals".....to which I'm like "How would you know? Are you an expert on that?"
If you clicked on the link, you'll see that this issue ties with cosplayers. The rule that "cosplay ≠ consent" should be common sense. Anime conventions are like a culture in and of themselves, full of people with similar interests. Occasionally you may find a beautiful woman cosplaying as a female anime character you may like. There aren't a lot of things in life as grandiose as such sights like them....but I digress, as I'm bordering on being sexist here, my adoration of the female form being forefront of what I'm trying to explain. The point is that just because she may be dressed sexily doesn't imply that she's asking for someone to have sex with her; it's common sense that dictates that you respect the will and space of others.....or maybe that's just me. If you want, if you have a camera, you can ask if she wants to be in a picture, and if she agrees to it, take the picture.

In fairness, even men can get raped. Most people don't want to admit it, but men can be subject to various forms of domestic abuse, not just rape. Sadly, there is a bias and some double-standard involved. If a man is getting the sh!t beat out of by his lover, people just laugh and ridicule the man, and that "He should be a man and stick up for himself." But if he physically retaliates to his woman, he's in deep sh!t, socially and even legally. Honestly, the only thing I can say regarding domestic abuse inflicted upon men is "Us men have it hard too." It goes to show you that women are just as capable as men are when it comes to serious incidents like them. Sometimes it seems like it's even worse, though the reason it would feel worse is because of the shock value of it, as though "Whoa; I'd never expect a woman to do that!" or something. Unfortunately, what happens to men doesn't get the attention that what happens to women gets. In cases like this, I'd say it's the media that is to blame, especially since the media has a hand in conditioning how we think as a populace....or, worse yet, a collective hive-mind, devoid of any sense of individualism.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15

Gross1985 wrote:

I remember the first time I heard of the term "rape culture" a few years back; when I first heard it I was like "What the f***?" as though it implied that there's a group of people (culture) that say "Yeah; we rape women," or something....but I was naive, as usual. I guess "rape culture" encompasses rape awareness, as well as survivors or rape.....and, for better or for worse (usually the latter), encouraging methods to prevent rape, usually by means of self-defense methods. But, I didn't know rape culture also involved slut-shaming.

As much as I disagree with third wave radical feminism, I am against rape. Of course, one with a healthy mind would know that rape is wrong. Sadly, the only source I can reference regarding my feelings of rape are something that is a bit off-topic of what this thread is trying to explain (click here, of course). There is no excuse for rape, no matter what, though there are people who will argue "Oh but it's natural to have hormones and want to act on them," but then I have to bring up things like "restraint" and "discipline". Is it really that hard to understand, that just because a woman is dressed a certain way in public doesn't mean she's asking to be f***ed there and then? You may get a boner, but still. But then there's the argument of "mixed signals".....to which I'm like "How would you know? Are you an expert on that?"
If you clicked on the link, you'll see that this issue ties with cosplayers. The rule that "cosplay ≠ consent" should be common sense. Anime conventions are like a culture in and of themselves, full of people with similar interests. Occasionally you may find a beautiful woman cosplaying as a female anime character you may like. There aren't a lot of things in life as grandiose as such sights like them....but I digress, as I'm bordering on being sexist here, my adoration of the female form being forefront of what I'm trying to explain. The point is that just because she may be dressed sexily doesn't imply that she's asking for someone to have sex with her; it's common sense that dictates that you respect the will and space of others.....or maybe that's just me. If you want, if you have a camera, you can ask if she wants to be in a picture, and if she agrees to it, take the picture.

In fairness, even men can get raped. Most people don't want to admit it, but men can be subject to various forms of domestic abuse, not just rape. Sadly, there is a bias and some double-standard involved. If a man is getting the sh!t beat out of by his lover, people just laugh and ridicule the man, and that "He should be a man and stick up for himself." But if he physically retaliates to his woman, he's in deep sh!t, socially and even legally. Honestly, the only thing I can say regarding domestic abuse inflicted upon men is "Us men have it hard too." It goes to show you that women are just as capable as men are when it comes to serious incidents like them. Sometimes it seems like it's even worse, though the reason it would feel worse is because of the shock value of it, as though "Whoa; I'd never expect a woman to do that!" or something. Unfortunately, what happens to men doesn't get the attention that what happens to women gets. In cases like this, I'd say it's the media that is to blame, especially since the media has a hand in conditioning how we think as a populace....or, worse yet, a collective hive-mind, devoid of any sense of individualism.


It's sad something happened to her. BUT, that's not evidence of "rape culture". but one guy acting in a shitty way.

The biggest offense I have to her video is the whole "everyone can do whatever they want" bit. You CAN do whatever you want, but your actions tend to have consequences further than yourself. It's not a world out there were it's "act however you want and do whatever you want and NOTHING BAD should ever come of it". The world isn't like that. The world SHOULDN'T be like that. And this isn't about rape. This is about the attitude in general. Taking her example of so called "slut shaming", There's nothing stoping me from fucking any woman who allows me to fuck her... There's nothing stopping me from cheating on someone. according to her logic, it should be fine and free.... Except someone DOES get hurt. And going around fucking people is the same thing that DOES blur the lines of what constitutes consent. It's just... words.. there are no words for this weird new method of doublethink....
16843 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / L'Étoile du Nord,...
Offline
Posted 1/16/15

serifsansserif wrote:

It's sad something happened to her. BUT, that's not evidence of "rape culture". but one guy acting in a shitty way.

The biggest offense I have to her video is the whole "everyone can do whatever they want" bit. You CAN do whatever you want, but your actions tend to have consequences further than yourself. It's not a world out there were it's "act however you want and do whatever you want and NOTHING BAD should ever come of it". The world isn't like that. The world SHOULDN'T be like that. And this isn't about rape. This is about the attitude in general. Taking her example of so called "slut shaming", There's nothing stoping me from fucking any woman who allows me to fuck her... There's nothing stopping me from cheating on someone. according to her logic, it should be fine and free.... Except someone DOES get hurt. And going around fucking people is the same thing that DOES blur the lines of what constitutes consent. It's just... words.. there are no words for this weird new method of doublethink....

I may need to watch that video again in case I missed something....but otherwise, I agree that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and we as humans (not just Americans) don't have this mythical ability to do whatever we want without responsibility.
31839 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/15

GodGreatestEver wrote:

Too inconsistent. "Women should be treated equally." -- Ok, totally agree.
>"Ladies first."
>"Guys should never hit girls."
>"Guys should treat girls with respect."
== Guys should treat girls specially. --Ok, wait... what?

Do they want to be treated equally or specially? Surely, equally would mean treating them like guys. If so, all those things that were taught about chivalry/gentlemen was completely pointless.
>Men fight for first.
>Men hit each other for the dumbest reasons.
>Men have to earn each other's respect.
heheh...you nailed it was never about equality or what have you it was about divorcing women from their husbands-girlfriends from their boyfriends-daughters from their dads and sisters from their brothers and in the process make them think like lesbians...ok, first way feminism was cool because it gave women the right of property and to vote.2nd wave and third wave is crap.




9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15

Gross1985 wrote:


serifsansserif wrote:

It's sad something happened to her. BUT, that's not evidence of "rape culture". but one guy acting in a shitty way.

The biggest offense I have to her video is the whole "everyone can do whatever they want" bit. You CAN do whatever you want, but your actions tend to have consequences further than yourself. It's not a world out there were it's "act however you want and do whatever you want and NOTHING BAD should ever come of it". The world isn't like that. The world SHOULDN'T be like that. And this isn't about rape. This is about the attitude in general. Taking her example of so called "slut shaming", There's nothing stoping me from fucking any woman who allows me to fuck her... There's nothing stopping me from cheating on someone. according to her logic, it should be fine and free.... Except someone DOES get hurt. And going around fucking people is the same thing that DOES blur the lines of what constitutes consent. It's just... words.. there are no words for this weird new method of doublethink....

I may need to watch that video again in case I missed something....but otherwise, I agree that the world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and we as humans (not just Americans) don't have this mythical ability to do whatever we want without responsibility.


It's when she says that "slut shaming is wrong" and you should be able to go around and fuck a bunch of guys or girls if you want. It's more towards the middle/end. I was honestly not trying to go into the rape aspect where I can hit upon the whole "victim blaming" card thing. The problem I have is that I believe that an hypersexualized society that doesn't encourage restraint of any sort really, and judging from that incident with the shooting last year, (not making any excuses for him), that somehow the pressure to have sex has become so great (I've been celibate for more years than I can count. Trust me. It's easier to be gay these days than it is to be celibate for no religious/biological reason), that for some it becomes tied to their self worth. I just don't see it as a recipe for success.
9200 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15 , edited 1/16/15

perrandy wrote:


GodGreatestEver wrote:

Too inconsistent. "Women should be treated equally." -- Ok, totally agree.
>"Ladies first."
>"Guys should never hit girls."
>"Guys should treat girls with respect."
== Guys should treat girls specially. --Ok, wait... what?

Do they want to be treated equally or specially? Surely, equally would mean treating them like guys. If so, all those things that were taught about chivalry/gentlemen was completely pointless.
>Men fight for first.
>Men hit each other for the dumbest reasons.
>Men have to earn each other's respect.
heheh...you nailed it was never about equality or what have you it was about divorcing women from their husbands-girlfriends from their boyfriends-daughters from their dads and sisters from their brothers and in the process make them think like lesbians...ok, first way feminism was cool because it gave women the right of property and to vote.2nd wave and third wave is crap.



With 2nd wave, women had access birth control and roe vs. wade so they had control over their own bodies. depending on where the break between 2nd and third wave is, the stuff I mentioned in the beginning could be considered one or the other. (the dissolution of gender differences and the proclamation that "men's issues matter to feminism too" was supposedly third wave... which was supposed to be the end of feminism to some degree because it was supposed to be about.. ya know... more than just women... kinda got off to a happy start, then all the sudden pulled the fuck back, and we got this.... monstrosity)

I know on the internets there's a few people deeming this new development 4th wave.... I kinda like it and prefer it since it's divorced from the 3rd wave I knew and was perfectly happy with.

EDIT: Random musing here, so take it as a grain of salt, but maybe 3rd wave did what it set out to do for the most part, and destroyed a lot of the gender lines, paved the way to accept the gay community and destroyed the need for a female focused movement, which would explain why so many people are for equal rights between the sexes but do not identify as feminists. This "fourth wave" and the MRA groups, for the most part, are just the ultra radical elements hanging on....

Now this isn't to say there aren't battles to be fought for equality, nor that the gains made aren't something that have to be held on to, but that "feminism" isn't needed and indeed we do just need a more humanistic approach.

Back to the rape thing for a moment. Somehow I think the whole approach to the problem seems wrong. First of all, rape in general is going down statistically (it'll rise dramatically this coming year as the definition becomes more inclusive of other acts, including sodomy and some others.. ), and if the numbers that even get thrown out by the advocacy groups are correct, they calculate 40% of victims being under legal age, another 40% under 25... That's 80% of all rapes occurring to a very small subset of the age bracket.

That's like... average life expectancy. The average life expectancy in a county like nigeria or somolia might be 35. but that's not saying that people don't live into their 70's. That's saying that most people don't make it to 10, or even 15. IF they make it that far, then sure, chances are they could live till 70 easily. It's just that there's a filter that keeps most of them getting there... On top of that 40% is being victimized by people they know. Meaning parents, family, close friends, etc... I just feel like there's something there that's being missed by all the sensationalism and shoddy reporting, and possibly data that's either not being collected or something.

Also, with the numbers, overall, numbers going down right? But males reporting rape are rising.

It's all just data overload... Nothing coherent yet, except that somehow I know that the puzzle isn't being looked at right, and that this "teach men not to rape women" bullshit isn't the answer (declines overall, plus rising male reports would indicate that female reports must be declining faster than male reports are increasing). I think somehow it's gong to require arming victims with more information on how to stop it from happening, or prevent it from happening, and open up more avenues to reporting it in a timely manner.. Even if that flies in the face of the whole "victim blaming" mentality. We probably should also focus more on the high school age bracket for learning to prevent and report, as this is one of the age brackets most affected, and since it seems to taper off with age, my guess is if you prevent in HS, you've already started heacing off a lot of the problems in the college aged bracket.

*shrugs*
51239 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
It's funny how some women call themselves feminist and ask for the same benefits as men but then refuse the same responsibilities and punishments. "Yay I finally earn as much as my male co-workers! What? You want me to serve [X amount of years] for a crime? But that's the same amount of time men get for the same crime... that's not fair!"

2459 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Minnesota, USA
Offline
Posted 1/16/15
In this country women already are equal to men. Those that think this is not true want the double standard posted by the previous poster.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.