First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Sailor Moon Crystal: Yay or Nay?
Posted 1/17/15 , edited 1/17/15
Since the ending of the first manga arc, the first half of Sailor Moon Crystal is complete now, would you say that the series has lived up to the hype and your personal expectations surrounding it?



Or has it fallen short of both hype and your expectations, resulting in disappointment and UNHOLY FANRAGE?

What do I think? Well...


Posted 1/17/15
I didn't expect much out of it; because I don't think any remake can actually ever live up to the original. The original had epic transformation sequences, funny scenes like "meatball head" and other things, and it's much more dramatic (death of the 4 dark princes are more emotional, in Crystal... they just die and you don't feel anything lol).

And I took Crystal for what it was, I liked that romantic instrumental music that comes in the background sometimes, when Usagi and Mamo-chan are together...
And it made more sense in terms of Queen Beryl's back story. The original, you just assume Queen Beryl came from somewhere else.
18602 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/17/15
naaaaaaaay
LokiLB 
41542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/17/15
I wish the people doing the Parasyte anime would have done the one for Sailor Moon. Minus the dubstep.
19260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 1/17/15 , edited 1/17/15
Big fat nay. Sure, it's closer to the manga, but poorly done in terms of production values. The 90's adaptation may be bloated at 200 eps, but at least I felt stuff when the Senshi died. But in Crystal? Nope. Nothing.

I sorely miss the epic music, the transformations, and everything else that the 90's anime offered. It was full of heart. This version, though? A cheaply done clone, void of effort and emotion.

I won't be sticking around for the next season, however. I've never been made to be so angry at any studio before, but I can say I won't be touching any recent anime Toei makes with a 50-foot pole after experiencing this trainwreck.

Really wish Madhouse or Bones were doing SMC. Hell, imagine what Ufotable could do....those guys have an outrageous animation budget Unlimited Budget Works, I'm telling you. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear the Japanese government funds them.
40315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Free World Jail
Offline
Posted 1/17/15
There is your "closer to manga" adaptation people.
Posted 1/17/15
I'm going to go on record and say, mainly out of loyalty of the old series, I preferred the old anime series, I have read the manga and have always been cognizant of the changes between manga and the original anime, and it never bothered me enough to want a remake. That being said however, I don't have nothing really against the reboot, but its a personal preference of mine that I like the old Sailor Moon anime series more.
JuJu26 
27550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/17/15

Selenae wrote:

Big fat nay. Sure, it's closer to the manga, but poorly done in terms of production values. The 90's adaptation may be bloated at 200 eps, but at least I felt stuff when the Senshi died. But in Crystal? Nope. Nothing.

I sorely miss the epic music, the transformations, and everything else that the 90's anime offered. It was full of heart. This version, though? A cheaply done clone, void of effort and emotion.

I won't be sticking around for the next season, however. I've never been made to be so angry at any studio before, but I can say I won't be touching any recent anime Toei makes with a 50-foot pole after experiencing this trainwreck.

Really wish Madhouse or Bones were doing SMC. Hell, imagine what Ufotable could do....those guys have an outrageous animation budget, I'm telling you.


Oh, you must be talking about that UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS greatness! XD
JuJu26 
27550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/17/15
Hmm. I can see both sides, but as for me, I am going with yay only because of the story. The first Sailor Moon had tons of qualities that I cannot explain in a mere few sentences, so there is that.
12032 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 1/17/15 , edited 1/17/15
Total Yay! Even though there were some parts about it I didn't like over all it was so wonderful to me. People had HUGE expectations for it. Like even though the original is great and all I can't sit down and really watch it anymore like I used to because I hate filler. It's okay not to like it but I always here the same thing from Crystal haters where they say the animation was bad or the story or for whatever reason. Like it's okay for you not to like it but it's not okay to sit there a tear it to shreds. I could do the same thing to the original but I don't.
19260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 1/17/15 , edited 1/17/15

JuJu26 wrote:

Oh, you must be talking about that UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS greatness! XD


Hell yeah! c:

UBW, but with Sailor Moon? That's an ultimate dream right there.



JuJu26 
27550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 1/17/15

Selenae wrote:


JuJu26 wrote:

Oh, you must be talking about that UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS greatness! XD


Hell yeah! c:

UBW, but with Sailor Moon? That's an ultimate dream right there.





Pretty much. I hear Toei is too money-hungry to put any effort. Um, let's see, Madhouse would good too.
Posted 1/17/15

GoldTStar wrote:

There is your "closer to manga" adaptation people.


It is not the fault of the manga, it is the fault of sh*tty TOEI.
12047 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 1/17/15 , edited 1/17/15
Pretty much NAY. Piss poor production values, and a crappy script.
LokiLB 
41542 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/17/15

GoldTStar wrote:

There is your "closer to manga" adaptation people.


Yeah, it's closer to the manga, but the execution was lacking. It's like if you had an amazing speech written up and someone read it completely in monotone and didn't put any effort into it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.